Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:43:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 347746 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6275 on: February 26, 2023, 09:11:37 PM »

just to remind people that Chap Peterson tended to vote more with the Democratic line than Vogel  and Dunnavant are for the gop.

Its beyond laughable someone would want to primary Peterson

In fact, he should be the 2025 Gubernatorial nominee!!!!!!!!!!

Peterson was always right:

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/06/lawsuit-northam-covid-19-unconstitutional/

A pair of lawsuits filed Tuesday are asking Virginia and federal courts to find unconstitutional Gov. Ralph Northam’s ongoing COVID-19 executive orders restricting businesses in the commonwealth.

The suits were filed by lawyer and Virginia state Sen. J. Chapman “Chap” Petersen, D-Fairfax, on behalf of his clients, whose wedding event and restaurant businesses have been suffering. He spoke first to WTOP.

Petersen said Northam’s executive orders have effectively closed his clients’ businesses under his emergency powers during the coronavirus pandemic.

“He is using powers that are supposed to be for an emergency but, instead, he’s basically passing long-lasting and semi-permanent laws that are preventing them from operating their businesses,” Petersen said, “and he is doing it without any legislative approval. And that is unconstitutional.”

Fortunately, by July 2020 things were very loose in VA.. and few bothered to enforce MASKS, night curfews, etc.

He’s horrible on gun control.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6276 on: February 27, 2023, 05:19:22 PM »

The Dem state senator drawn into a narrow Trump district in the mountains (he's not a Blue Dog, it was formerly gerrymandered to connect college towns) just announced his retirement today.  Likely R+1, which would mean back to 21D/19R, but there's also a West Richmond seat Dems are about equally likely to flip, so sticking with my prediction that it stays 22D/18R

This ends the prospect of Dems becoming veto-proof in a wave.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6277 on: February 27, 2023, 09:52:28 PM »

The Dem state senator drawn into a narrow Trump district in the mountains (he's not a Blue Dog, it was formerly gerrymandered to connect college towns) just announced his retirement today.  Likely R+1, which would mean back to 21D/19R, but there's also a West Richmond seat Dems are about equally likely to flip, so sticking with my prediction that it stays 22D/18R

I assume you mean Creigh Deeds? But I don’t see any news about him retiring?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6278 on: February 27, 2023, 10:11:49 PM »

He probably means John S. Edwards.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6279 on: February 27, 2023, 10:20:41 PM »

Yes. 

Deeds' seat is inner NOVA level Safe D anyway due to Charlottesville. 
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6280 on: February 28, 2023, 02:38:44 AM »

Yes. 

Deeds' seat is inner NOVA level Safe D anyway due to Charlottesville. 

Yea that’s why I was confused. I got the wrong western Virginia college town district democrat
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6281 on: March 07, 2023, 03:42:15 PM »

Another significant VA senate retirement: the Dem in the Youngkin +15/Trump +10 2016 Eastern Shore seat.  This was a narrow Obama/Clinton seat before it lost significant urban territory in redistricting.  He probably didn't have much of a chance anyway.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #6282 on: March 07, 2023, 04:15:50 PM »

Another significant VA senate retirement: the Dem in the Youngkin +15/Trump +10 2016 Eastern Shore seat.  This was a narrow Obama/Clinton seat before it lost significant urban territory in redistricting.  He probably didn't have much of a chance anyway.

Since you didn't say it, his name is Lynwood Lewis
https://easternshorepost.com/2023/03/07/lewis-will-not-seek-another-term-in-virginia-senate/
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6283 on: March 07, 2023, 10:21:25 PM »

I wonder if he’ll run for Congress
Spectator
United States

« Reply #6284 on: March 08, 2023, 06:30:28 AM »

I wonder if he’ll run for Congress

He’d make the most sense as Kiggans’ challenger unless Luria wanted to go again in a presidential year. Rouse is probably too fresh for 2024.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6285 on: March 10, 2023, 09:52:26 AM »

Youngkin's CNN town hall last night was a mess, as expected. The fact that anyone thinks this man is POTUS quality is stunning.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #6286 on: March 12, 2023, 09:31:58 AM »

WATN: Elaine Luria getting heavily involved in legislative elections this year, possibly with an eye towards 2025. She did pretty well last year, considering, even winning Virginia Beach.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/elaine-luria-launches-fundraising-committee-to-help-general-assembly-local-candidates/article_be43e9b0-b2cb-11ed-a3a9-cf5af0d8b25e.html
Epaminondas

« Reply #6287 on: April 12, 2023, 12:09:19 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2023, 02:02:00 AM by Epaminondas »

Reading on RRH that retirements are coming thick and fast in the VA State Senate for 2023. So far,

Dems: Richard Saslaw (elected 1980), Janet Howell (1992), John Edwards (1996) … and potentially Louis Lucas (1992) as she is in a member vs. member primary.
GOP: Tommy Norment (1992), Emmett Hanger (1996), Steve Newman (1996) and Jill Vogel (2008)
Epaminondas

« Reply #6288 on: May 21, 2023, 07:07:01 AM »

New ad dropped by Younkin's super PAC, hinting at a presidential run to "pursue Reagan's legacy".

Do Resign-to-Run rules apply to VA?

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6289 on: May 21, 2023, 08:36:57 AM »

New ad dropped by Younkin's super PAC, hinting at a presidential run to "pursue Reagan's legacy".

Supposedly this ad is "only" for Youngkin's PAC which is focusing on the November legislative elections. But it's blatantly a presidential campaign ad.

Odd timing given how he very recently said he won't be running.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #6290 on: May 21, 2023, 09:03:22 AM »

Supposedly this ad is "only" for Youngkin's PAC which is focusing on the November legislative elections. But it's blatantly a presidential campaign ad.

It just occurred to me how Glenn Youngkin is really the only new Republican Governor or Senator from the Biden era that seems like a plausible presidential candidate. 2022 really stifled a lot of the would-be future candidates. Maybe JD Vance, but he’s a mess.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6291 on: May 21, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »

It just occurred to me how Glenn Youngkin is really the only new Republican Governor or Senator from the Biden era that seems like a plausible presidential candidate. 2022 really stifled a lot of the would-be future candidates. Maybe JD Vance, but he’s a mess.

JD Vance would be eviscerated in a national campaign
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #6292 on: May 21, 2023, 12:33:39 PM »

JD Vance would be eviscerated in a national campaign

He probably would be a good running mate for Youngkin if he runs in 2028.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6293 on: May 21, 2023, 05:43:26 PM »

Youngkin is extremely unique among modern elected officials in that he didn't have to go thru a primary campaign. Virginia's GOP chose to have a convention instead of a primary in order to prevent Amanda Chase from being the nominee. Youngkin ran on a campaign meant to appeal to convention delegates, who were more akin to the Virginia GOP pre-Trump than the primary electorate of 2021. This meant he didn't have to become quite as vocally/verbally MAGA as others.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6294 on: May 22, 2023, 07:48:41 AM »

YOUNGKIN win because Biden was at record low Approvals due to COVID surge with Omnicron and TMac was a retread Ds will win back the Govs in 2025 he dropped out of Prez because his polls were low at 1% like Newsom is polling in the Primary to Harris
VALibertarian
LordPhantasm8
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6295 on: May 23, 2023, 09:09:08 AM »

Not to go too off topic but Lombardo should be seen as a rising star as well no? Given that NV should theoretically be in play for future elections for the GOP.
dougbasedrino
Rookie
« Reply #6296 on: May 23, 2023, 10:57:11 PM »

i hope papi youngkin runs for senate
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6297 on: June 08, 2023, 08:54:54 PM »

We're less than two weeks away from the primaries.

Lots of very interesting races on the Democratic primary side, especially in the Senate races. Chap Petersen is facing a very strong challenger in SD-37 (Fairfax County & Falls Church) by progressive Saddam Azlan Salim.

You also have the Lionell Spurill/ Louise Lucas battle royale in the 18th district (Portsmouth/Chesapeake in the Hampton Roads), which is a super interesting fight between two very well established Black legislative leaders with extremely different political styles.

For what it's worth my Senate district has a contest (Barbara Favola and James Devita in SD40, Arlington) but it's hardly contested (Favola will win and win big).
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #6298 on: June 09, 2023, 05:53:28 PM »

Youngkin is extremely unique among modern elected officials in that he didn't have to go thru a primary campaign. Virginia's GOP chose to have a convention instead of a primary in order to prevent Amanda Chase from being the nominee. Youngkin ran on a campaign meant to appeal to convention delegates, who were more akin to the Virginia GOP pre-Trump than the primary electorate of 2021. This meant he didn't have to become quite as vocally/verbally MAGA as others.

"Youngkin didn't have to win a primary" was massive Democratic/liberal cope.....that wound up being 100% correct and prescient.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6299 on: June 11, 2023, 12:11:49 PM »

"Youngkin didn't have to win a primary" was massive Democratic/liberal cope.....that wound up being 100% correct and prescient.

It was far and away the smartest move the Virginia GOP has made in the past few years.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies