Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:51:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 335388 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6250 on: July 16, 2022, 03:26:47 PM »

Looks like no more Confederate statues (under state jurisdiction) in Virginia are going to be taken down until the end of this administration:

Youngkin appoints Confederate statue defender to historic resources board

VIRGINIA: WHAT WERE YOU EFFING THINKING!?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6251 on: July 16, 2022, 07:46:11 PM »

Looks like no more Confederate statues (under state jurisdiction) in Virginia are going to be taken down until the end of this administration:

Youngkin appoints Confederate statue defender to historic resources board

VIRGINIA: WHAT WERE YOU EFFING THINKING!?

He was just so moderate wearing a vest jacket Purple heart
UncleSam

« Reply #6252 on: July 16, 2022, 08:05:07 PM »

Are confederate statues really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

No I don’t think they should be erected but it just seems like a weird thing to care about.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6253 on: July 16, 2022, 11:12:33 PM »

This is a wedge issue that really means nothing and has little impact on anyone's daily lives. Next.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6254 on: September 11, 2022, 10:15:17 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2022, 10:18:43 PM by jamestroll »

In a tight Virginia race, Covid concerns still make campaigning difficult for Democrats

While Republicans more or less kept up their normal ground game throughout the pandemic, Democrats last year halted all in-person operations for months during the height of the presidential campaign.

Even now, in Virginia's critical gubernatorial race, some progressives say they're still having a difficult time getting people to volunteer in person, though vaccines have helped ease concerns.

“We have noticed a lot more people eager to help, but not necessarily eager to knock on doors. It's been tough,” said Maya Castillo, the political director for New Virginia Majority, which organizes communities of color.

Is the excuse making already starting for a McAuliffe loss? My views on the virus and pandemic are pretty well known here but even I think this is a very poor excuse. The local Democratic party can buy N95 masks and give them out to the canvassers, plus tell them to back up from the door. Canvassing would also be considered a public-facing job so they could even get a booster shot. Combine these and canvassers are quite safe from COVID-19. The pandemic is no longer a valid reason to avoid in-person canvassing and if Dems do so it is unilateral disarmament.  

Nope Sir. Covid was a major factor in Virginia in 2021.

The 2022 elections have not occurred yet, but part of the reason Democrats may not be blown out as much as you'd expected is due to covid "pre cautions" being in the rear view mirror.

But.. just watch.. if there is a late october surge and some liberals start trying to bring back restrictions....It could give the GOP a last minute surge.

I lived through it.. even in liberal Nova.. Democrats were being seen as crazy when it came to masks and schooling.

Worst campaign ever

never fails.. someone wearing a mask incorrectly in the background of these. At least it was outside I guess.

But yes.. Virginians were fine with unvaxxed staff and their kids not wearing masks.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6255 on: December 17, 2022, 07:09:15 AM »

Governor Youngkin's abortion ban proposal has opposing Virginia Democrats fired up
Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin unveiled the abortion measures in his budget proposal for the upcoming year on Thursday.

Whether it passes or not is immaterial, since Republicans in the General Assembly will not benefit either way.  I can only assume he thinks Republicans have no chance in the 2023 legislative elections anyway, so why not come out with what is basically a gesture that could only benefit him in the GOP presidential primaries?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6256 on: December 18, 2022, 03:38:36 PM »

Governor Youngkin's abortion ban proposal has opposing Virginia Democrats fired up
Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin unveiled the abortion measures in his budget proposal for the upcoming year on Thursday.

Whether it passes or not is immaterial, since Republicans in the General Assembly will not benefit either way.  I can only assume he thinks Republicans have no chance in the 2023 legislative elections anyway, so why not come out with what is basically a gesture that could only benefit him in the GOP presidential primaries?

I think it's more of a realization that they have no chance in the State Senate, so:

1. This is the last, best chance to make a deal with 1-2 moderate Dems while the chamber might only be 21D/19R.  It will probably be 24D/16R in the long run on this map. 

2. The districts in the lower house are small enough that there are primarily rural VRA seats and Hispanic opportunity seats in outer NOVA.  A pro-life turnout boost could flip a couple of these to make up for 1-2 near certain redistricting losses in a chamber that's currently 52R/48D.  R's could still reasonably hold the lower house, but they are narrowly disfavored in a traditional PVI sense. They need to pursue high variance strategies that could shake things up.

3. The PR benefit of showing that you don't have to "go full Northeast" to contest VA as a Republican sends a message to pro-life Biden district R's elsewhere. 
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6257 on: December 25, 2022, 05:19:37 AM »

I think it's more of a realization that they have no chance in the State Senate, so:

1. This is the last, best chance to make a deal with 1-2 moderate Dems while the chamber might only be 21D/19R.  It will probably be 24D/16R in the long run on this map. 

2. The districts in the lower house are small enough that there are primarily rural VRA seats and Hispanic opportunity seats in outer NOVA.  A pro-life turnout boost could flip a couple of these to make up for 1-2 near certain redistricting losses in a chamber that's currently 52R/48D.  R's could still reasonably hold the lower house, but they are narrowly disfavored in a traditional PVI sense. They need to pursue high variance strategies that could shake things up.

3. The PR benefit of showing that you don't have to "go full Northeast" to contest VA as a Republican sends a message to pro-life Biden district R's elsewhere. 

We have yet to see this "pro-life turnout boost" materialize, considering it's the pro-choice side that's energized now and even pro-life people are starting to get cold feet now that they see the consequence of making abortion illegal.

Republicans certainly are disfavored in retaining/gaining control of either chamber next year, and Youngkin's screwing over his own party in the state because he's using Virginia as a stepping stone, and that's become more and more obvious. This is not a pro-life state and there will be backlash next year and in 2024.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #6258 on: January 15, 2023, 07:36:42 PM »

oof, no spending limits in legislative races too

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6259 on: January 15, 2023, 07:39:01 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 07:42:50 PM by Skill and Chance »

oof, no spending limits in legislative races too

With an R LG, this is the decisive seat by Youngkin numbers.  Expect big spending on both sides here.  Campaigns funded by a single large donor have been the norm under VA law for a while.  As long as one side doesn't outspend the other by 10X or something, it's unlikely to be decisive.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #6260 on: January 16, 2023, 10:40:36 AM »

There is only so much money you can effectivly spend in a state senate district. The democrat in this district will have enough money to get out his message and shouldn't have much of a disadvantage through campaign spending.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6261 on: January 16, 2023, 09:31:40 PM »

SD-31 is Youngkin + 1 and Biden + 13; would be a very tough carry for any GOP challenger, but a lot of money certainly helps.

Honestly I find it interesting how in Loudon County, you actually have some "exurban" of even "rural" D support from a few wealthy communities, likely with some level of ties to DC.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6262 on: January 16, 2023, 09:38:41 PM »

SD-31 is Youngkin + 1 and Biden + 13; would be a very tough carry for any GOP challenger, but a lot of money certainly helps.

Honestly I find it interesting how in Loudon County, you actually have some "exurban" of even "rural" D support from a few wealthy communities, likely with some level of ties to DC.

They are generally gentlemen farmers who love their horses.  There are pockets of it further into Appalachia, too.  It's the closest Eastern equivalent to the highbrow liberal Colorado mountain towns. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6263 on: January 27, 2023, 06:48:23 PM »

Governor Youngkin is probably not going to listen, though:

Most Virginians don’t want Youngkin in 2024 presidential race, poll shows
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #6264 on: January 28, 2023, 11:53:57 AM »

I feel like that is pretty typical of popular governors though. Typically, the voters don't want to lose them, and they typically give high approval ratings while still not wanting them to run for president.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6265 on: January 28, 2023, 01:03:53 PM »

VA is a blue state anyways due to DC suburbs and Kaine is gonna win, if RS lose FL/GA/VA/AZ ITS OVER BECAUSE OF MI, WI and PA
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6266 on: January 28, 2023, 02:23:04 PM »

Democrats 'abort' pro-life bills

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — In a series of key votes Thursday, Virginia Senate Democrats defeated several bills that would have restricted abortion access in the state, including a proposed 15-week ban with exceptions that was a priority for Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin.

They are the first decisive legislative votes in Virginia since the Supreme Court’s decision last year overturning Roe v. Wade. The votes mean that barring an extraordinary procedural move, such restrictions are unlikely to be enacted this year in Virginia, which currently has some of the South’s most permissive abortion laws.

[...]

Republican House Speaker Todd Gilbert said earlier this year that given Virginia’s divided government, he didn’t expect major progress on abortion this year.

[...]

The committee also defeated a less restrictive measure from Republican Sen. Siobhan Dunnavant, who is an OB-GYN. Her bill would have added new limits on third-trimester abortions, allowing them only in cases where the woman’s life is at risk.

It would have allowed abortions through the second trimester before viability, defined as either 24 weeks or 22 weeks, if three physicians agree.

[...]

The outcome was not surprising. Senate Democrats had promised since last year’s Roe decision to defeat any effort to curtail abortion access.

But the election of Democratic Sen. Aaron Rouse in a special election this month has given their caucus more breathing room. Rouse flipped a seat previously held by a Republican, adding one more vote to Democrats’ narrow control of the chamber.

One Democratic senator, Joe Morrissey, has previously indicated a willingness to support additional abortion restrictions, even through the use of an unusual floor procedure that before Rouse’s victory potentially could have allowed the Republican lieutenant governor to cast a tie-breaking vote.

in 2020, Democrats, at the time in full control of state government, expanded abortion access and eased certain clinic restrictions, pledging to make the state a “safe haven” in the South.

Elections matter.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6267 on: January 28, 2023, 02:59:05 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2023, 03:51:17 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Abortion pills are online, women don't have to have Abortions that's old school

I have sisters and cuz that have easy access to birth control pills if they get pregnant and unwanted the take pills period
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #6268 on: February 23, 2023, 03:14:16 PM »

Hallelujah!

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6269 on: February 23, 2023, 03:25:06 PM »

He's more likely to run for vice president or Treasury/Commerce Secretary, I guess?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6270 on: February 23, 2023, 04:47:47 PM »

Youngkin appeal is over with he won in 21 when Biden was at record low Approvals

Just like Bob McDonnell was the most popular Gov and scandal ended his career
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6271 on: February 26, 2023, 03:22:24 PM »

Honestly, I think I might go out and campaign for Chap if this is who his primary opponents are being supported by:
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6272 on: February 26, 2023, 03:37:13 PM »

Honestly, I think I might go out and campaign for Chap if this is who his primary opponents are being supported by:

I could well be back in Virginia in mid 2024 or in 2025.

Chap Peterson was my state senator and I liked him very much. His primary opponents wouldn't lose that district.. a Democrat of virtually any kinda would win it at this point.. but Chap Peterson represents the district very well. Trust me, the people there don't buy the BS that Dr. Fingle Dingle sells.

Yalowitz I hope is blown the f*** out in the primary.

crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6273 on: February 26, 2023, 03:47:45 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2023, 03:51:00 PM by jimmie »

just to remind people that Chap Peterson tended to vote more with the Democratic line than Vogel  and Dunnavant are for the gop.

Its beyond laughable someone would want to primary Peterson

In fact, he should be the 2025 Gubernatorial nominee!!!!!!!!!!

Peterson was always right:

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/06/lawsuit-northam-covid-19-unconstitutional/

A pair of lawsuits filed Tuesday are asking Virginia and federal courts to find unconstitutional Gov. Ralph Northam’s ongoing COVID-19 executive orders restricting businesses in the commonwealth.

The suits were filed by lawyer and Virginia state Sen. J. Chapman “Chap” Petersen, D-Fairfax, on behalf of his clients, whose wedding event and restaurant businesses have been suffering. He spoke first to WTOP.

Petersen said Northam’s executive orders have effectively closed his clients’ businesses under his emergency powers during the coronavirus pandemic.

“He is using powers that are supposed to be for an emergency but, instead, he’s basically passing long-lasting and semi-permanent laws that are preventing them from operating their businesses,” Petersen said, “and he is doing it without any legislative approval. And that is unconstitutional.”

Fortunately, by July 2020 things were very loose in VA.. and few bothered to enforce MASKS, night curfews, etc.
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #6274 on: February 26, 2023, 04:08:08 PM »

Oh Supreme God-Emperor Glenn Youngkin!
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to: