Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:42:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340157 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6350 on: June 20, 2023, 08:31:46 PM »

Joe Morrissey, John Edwards, and Chap Petersen all being gone next year will definitely move the chamber to the left if Dems win a majority in November.

They were probably the three most moderate/right wing senators in the D caucus.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #6351 on: June 20, 2023, 08:33:24 PM »

Looking at the map, I don't think Petersen is 100% done. I think it'll come down to Falls Church. If he wins, it will be close though. I estimate Salim has a 2/3 chance.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6352 on: June 20, 2023, 08:33:59 PM »

Joe Morrissey, John Edwards, and Chap Petersen all being gone next year will definitely move the chamber to the left if Dems win a majority in November.

They were probably the three most moderate/right wing senators in the D caucus.

Petersen voted with democrats more reliably than many republicans voted with their party.

He was outstanding.

My former dem neighbors have lost their MINDS
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #6353 on: June 20, 2023, 08:36:09 PM »

The latest update is not good for Chap. Not ruling him out, but it'll be a steep uphill climb. Sad to see a legend go out like this.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #6354 on: June 20, 2023, 08:36:31 PM »

Looking at the map, I don't think Petersen is 100% done. I think it'll come down to Falls Church. If he wins, it will be close though. I estimate Salim has a 2/3 chance.

Falls Church definitely won’t save him. He’s done.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6355 on: June 20, 2023, 08:37:27 PM »

If it's down to Falls Church, he's probably done for.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #6356 on: June 20, 2023, 08:37:37 PM »

Falls Church definitely won’t save him. He’s done.
Yeah, the margins that just came in are brutal. RIP king.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6357 on: June 20, 2023, 08:37:50 PM »

Looks like something of a liberal revolt in inner NOVA.  Longtime incumbents Petersen and Barker with something of a reputation for deal-making are both down to more progressive primary challengers.  Also, as noted above, Petersen was by far the most libertarian Dem on COVID rules.  The incumbent progressive prosecutors in Arlington and Loudoun have won are against primary challengers who positioned themselves as tough on crime and the progressive incumbent in Fairfax is leading pretty significantly. 

Its making me very worried about the general electiom results.

I just added some info.  I think these results call into question whether the State Senate will actually be easier for Dems than the HoD.  Not so much because of the Petersen and Barker seats.  Those are >60% McAuliffe and would probably auto-elect any Dem not named Joe Morrisey in the general.  It's not like they nominated a lifelong professional activist in SD-31 (the most likely decisive seat in western Loudoun).  However, if Guzman actually wins SD-29 over incumbent McPike (there is a lot of vote left to count), that would be more concerning.  Guzman introduced a bill last year to revoke parental rights for parents who refuse to affirm their child's gender identity.  That's not a 100% safe seat and it's also the kind of place that is likely way more Dem than socially liberal.  

All of the Tilt R narrow Biden->Youngkin districts got the strongest Republican nominee tonight, so I don't see any freebies on the map for Dems elsewhere.    
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #6358 on: June 20, 2023, 08:38:06 PM »

If it's down to Falls Church, he's probably done for.
Shows what I know about an area I moved to 6 months ago, lmao.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6359 on: June 20, 2023, 08:40:21 PM »

What shouldn't be a hot take but probably is: If Petersen ends up losing, its not going to be because of all the stuff mentioned in the posts above me. That stuff is relevant, but it only made him vulnerable, same as and Amanda Chase and her issues.

No, what (might) doom them both is simple redistricting.

- Chase's previous district included Amelita County and a solid chunk of southeastern and Richmond-facing Chesterfield county around Chester. The district dropped this considerable amount of voters and gained Midlothian and other suburbs across from Tuckahoe. She got over 50% in her former district, but lost almost all the new precincts.

- It looks to be the same story with Petersen. His former district was a blob of suburbs centered on Fairfax City, with an arm reaching out to Centerville. It's alignment faced 'outwards' from DC and Arlington. The new district faces 'inwards.' It drops over half the former Fairfax blob and Centerville and gains a lot of suburbs next to Arlington, including Falls Church. Those are the areas he is losing, in some cases, badly.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6360 on: June 20, 2023, 08:41:52 PM »

How are the pwc results? Any bastion of sanity left in nova?

I still am neutral/postive on trumpkin. He isnt a nimby
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6361 on: June 20, 2023, 08:42:08 PM »

I just added some info.  I think these results call into question whether the State Senate will actually be easier for Dems than the HoD.  Not so much because of the Petersen and Barker seats.  Those are >60% McAuliffe and would probably auto-elect any Dem not named Joe Morrisey in the general.  It's not like they nominated a lifelong professional activist in SD-31 (the most likely decisive seat in western Loudoun).  However, if Guzman actually wins SD-29 over incumbent McPike (there is a lot of vote left to count), that would be more concerning.  Guzman introduced a bill last year to revoke parental rights for parents who refuse to affirm their child's gender identity.  That's not a 100% safe seat and it's also the kind of place that is likely way more Dem than socially liberal.  

All of the Tilt R narrow Biden->Youngkin districts got the strongest Republican nominee tonight, so I don't see any freebies on the map for Dems elsewhere.    

What about Joel Griffin vs Tara Durant in SD-27?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6362 on: June 20, 2023, 08:42:59 PM »

Barker has a better chance of coming back than Petersen.

Also, wow Deeds vs. Hudson just got really close.  Was that the Charlottesville and Albemarle absentees?  If either of those are still out, it could plausibly flip.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6363 on: June 20, 2023, 08:45:03 PM »

What about Joel Griffin vs Tara Durant in SD-27?

Well, both parties just got their strongest candidate in that seat, but it votes significantly to the right of the state, especially in off years (~54% Youngkin in 2021).  I think that one was only going to be top tier competitive if it was the crazy R vs. the stronger D.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6364 on: June 20, 2023, 08:45:41 PM »

Looks like Deeds holds on?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6365 on: June 20, 2023, 08:46:01 PM »

The Dominion-backed candidates aren't doing well.   They lost SD-13, most likely lost SD-33, and could lose SD-11.

Edit - Nvm, looks like Deeds won SD-11.

Also, wow Deeds vs. Hudson just got really close.  Was that the Charlottesville and Albemarle absentees?  If either of those are still out, it could plausibly flip.

There was a data entry error in Deeds' favor that made the race look locked, but now corrected it remains close. However, Deeds should still hold on given he leads by 600 votes and barely anything is left.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #6366 on: June 20, 2023, 08:49:21 PM »

Looks like something of a liberal revolt in inner NOVA.  Longtime incumbents Petersen and Barker with something of a reputation for deal-making are both down to more progressive primary challengers.  Also, as noted above, Petersen was by far the most libertarian Dem on COVID rules.  The incumbent progressive prosecutors in Arlington and Loudoun have won are against primary challengers who positioned themselves as tough on crime and the progressive incumbent in Fairfax is leading pretty significantly. 

Its making me very worried about the general electiom results.

SD-29 was Biden +21, once upon a time it was in play but not in 2023.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6367 on: June 20, 2023, 08:50:30 PM »

The Dominion-backed candidates aren't doing well.   They lost SD-13, most likely lost SD-33, and could lose SD-11.

Edit - Nvm, looks like Deeds won SD-11.

Also, wow Deeds vs. Hudson just got really close.  Was that the Charlottesville and Albemarle absentees?  If either of those are still out, it could plausibly flip.

There was a data entry error in Deeds' favor that made the race look locked, but now corrected it remains close. However, Deeds should still hold on given he leads by 600 votes and barely anything is left.

FWIW that district/area is known for that.  An error there flipped control of the state senate once corrected in 2011.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6368 on: June 20, 2023, 08:51:31 PM »

Barker might plausibly come back.  Trouble is, his stronghold (the east) is disproportionately in. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6369 on: June 20, 2023, 08:58:55 PM »

McPike narrowly in the lead in SD-29 after a massive PWC election day vote dump.  PWC early votes should decide the outcome.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6370 on: June 20, 2023, 09:05:17 PM »

Barker might plausibly come back.  Trouble is, his stronghold (the east) is disproportionately in. 

Another potential casualty of redistricting, in this case the majority of voters are new to him.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6371 on: June 20, 2023, 09:06:26 PM »

Odd year primaries clearly make it easier for R's to keep the nomination from crazier populist candidates in the Trump era.  However, they seem to make it easier for far left D's to get through.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6372 on: June 20, 2023, 09:11:35 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2023, 09:17:18 PM by henster »

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+sum+SJ306

Barker WROTE the sham redistricting amendment, McPike and Petersen were more than happy to vote for it. Not sad to see any of them go.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #6373 on: June 20, 2023, 09:13:02 PM »

Nice! Glad to see the DINOs getting culled. Go run in swing districts, if you must be in politics; quit camping out in Safe D seats.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6374 on: June 20, 2023, 09:22:45 PM »

We have a legit DINO in Fairfax County, Petersen going down is a bigger deal than Morrissey.

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies