Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 07:31:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government  (Read 20918 times)
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2020, 07:17:33 PM »
« edited: May 27, 2020, 07:20:40 PM by jaymichaud »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/gantz-walks-out-of-meeting-with-netanyahu-after-regev-calls-him-half-baked/

I guess it's finally sinking in that he made a deal with the devil and it's not with it. Sucks for him.

Hopefully he loses his own seat after this bullsh*t.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/gantz-walks-out-of-meeting-with-netanyahu-after-regev-calls-him-half-baked/

I guess it's finally sinking in that he made a deal with the devil and it's not with it. Sucks for him.

Hopefully he loses his own seat after this bullsh*t.

This is so f**ked up. The government isn't even a month old & Bibi has already started undermining the rotation agreement. And this is a familiar tactic too: where he uses Likud loyalists to say things he can't.

I don't understand why Gantz trusted him. Literally everybody saw this coming & warned him & he *still* just walked into it! I still can't believe that he thought this was a good idea.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 02:31:41 PM by Parrotguy »

A real sickening thing happened in Israel, just two days after the murder of George Floyd. This morning a mentally disabled Palestinian youth in East Jerusalem was asked by policemen to stand down because they thought he had a gun, he ran away from them and they ran after him, and shot him to death. Today Internal Security Minister Amir Ohana said that "we won't doom the fate of the policemen- they work in a dangerous area with constant threat to their lives and are forced to take decisions in a second". The police gave an infuriatingly weak comment, which was all defence of their (urelated) actions to "defend the security of Israelis" and nothing about the horrific crime their men committed.

A lot of people started a Arab Lives Matter comparison- the context is very different in my opinion, but it is still a poetic analogue. If we Israelis want the right to complain about racism in America, we should also talk about our own glaring problems.

This also seals the deal for me about Ohana, after he told the temporary police chief to check who are the "senior police figures" who spoke out against Netanyahu, and after he visited racist anti-refugee activists of the worst kind in Tel Aviv twice. He's definitely the single worst Minister in the Israeli, and possibly the second most dangerous person in the country after Netanyahu himself. I think it's because he's the closest we have to the absolute worst types of Republican U.S. politicians- advocating ruthless capitalism, very hawkish, using eloquent but very damaging racist dog-whistling to fan the flames. An extremely effective implementer of his policy, working hard to dismantle the basis of liberal democracy, a free judiciary system, a free press, a free law enforcement system. Not very socially conservative, but doesn't mind cooperating with the worst kind and won't do anything to implement socially liberal policy. Despite being gay, he's just encouraging homophobia against other types of gay people, and don't make me laugh about doing anything about trans people. He's the worst.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »

Yair Lapid did a Q&A with Tablet Mag, can be found here: https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/israel-middle-east/articles/yair-lapid-interview-may-2020

Looks like he’s gonna continue to promote Yesh Atid as a centrist liberal party a la En Marche or the Liberal Democrats as opposed to trying to become the party of the center-left as I predicted. Ah well.

Also, there was another poll this week (I know they’re super unreliable across the board lately) that put The Joint List at 15 seats, Yesh Atid at 14 and B&W at 12. Yamina got 9, Meretz and YB both got 6. Thoughts?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2020, 08:06:21 AM »

Yair Lapid did a Q&A with Tablet Mag, can be found here: https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/israel-middle-east/articles/yair-lapid-interview-may-2020

Looks like he’s gonna continue to promote Yesh Atid as a centrist liberal party a la En Marche or the Liberal Democrats as opposed to trying to become the party of the center-left as I predicted. Ah well.

Also, there was another poll this week (I know they’re super unreliable across the board lately) that put The Joint List at 15 seats, Yesh Atid at 14 and B&W at 12. Yamina got 9, Meretz and YB both got 6. Thoughts?
polls mean nothing atm. Another former IDF CoGS Eizenkot announced he's going to enter politics...not sure little Lapid could keep himself as the alternative like that

I actually genuinely think Bibi will make the rotation happen for his legal reasons
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2020, 01:47:39 AM »

Apologies if this has already been said (and it probably has), but why would someone who hopes to finally become Prime Minister agree to join a rotation government when he/she doesn't get to serve during the first half of the term and can't fully trust the other side? Because depending on the political climate after the first half of the term it can be so tempting and easy for the other side to just renege on their promise by cooking up a more less plausible story as to why it is absolutely necessary to retain full power at that current point in time.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »

Apologies if this has already been said (and it probably has), but why would someone who hopes to finally become Prime Minister agree to join a rotation government when he/she doesn't get to serve during the first half of the term and can't fully trust the other side? Because depending on the political climate after the first half of the term it can be so tempting and easy for the other side to just renege on their promise by cooking up a more less plausible story as to why it is absolutely necessary to retain full power at that current point in time.

Because as we've seen Gantz just.. really isn't a very good politician.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2020, 01:04:11 PM »

SC strikes down (8-1 justices) the appropriation for settlements bill as unconstitutional due the disproportionate infringement on Palestinians right to private property. Now to make the settlers happy I can see the annexation including some more acres of land
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2020, 08:45:22 AM »

Looks like Israel’s next ambassador to the UK will be a piece of work:

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/israel-must-reconsider-its-choice-of-uk-ambassador/
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2020, 04:43:15 AM »

Lol at the thought that Bibi cares for anything other than pure politics when appointing Ambassadors.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2020, 07:59:00 AM »

Lol at the thought that Bibi cares for anything other than pure politics when appointing Ambassadors.

Or, indeed, when doing literally anything at all.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2020, 04:53:16 AM »

with 61 for and 11 against the joint Likud-B&W bill for the legalization (not just decriminalization) of Cannabis passed first reading. let's wait and see if it could survive the road to the second and third reading, but a big step forward
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2020, 08:08:08 AM »

I must admit I did not expect Israel to legalize cannabis. Anyways I guess that is a small silver lining for this very bad government.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2020, 08:18:12 AM »

Bye Felicia.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2020, 10:31:29 AM »

I must admit I did not expect Israel to legalize cannabis. Anyways I guess that is a small silver lining for this very bad government.

Genuinely surprising that Likud have given the OK to this, for sure.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2020, 12:55:00 PM »

with 61 for and 11 against the joint Likud-B&W bill for the legalization (not just decriminalization) of Cannabis passed first reading. let's wait and see if it could survive the road to the second and third reading, but a big step forward

Who voted against?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »

Genuinely surprising that Likud have given the OK to this, for sure.
Not at all. The right lost 3 potential seats because of Zehut in round 1 and most of them were potheads. Bibi see it as pivotal to avoid another such scenario. Plus he wants Haskel to sod off to Canberra, she wouldn’t do it without an achievement on that. And...well why would they mind? Likud demographics aren’t conservative on that issue
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »

Who voted against?
Mainly the JL I believe. They have a drug problem with the youth and some arguments about the “outsourcing” of drug crimes to them from Jews.

The haredi and parts of Yamina are against but the former did not vote.

Lapid once said he was against and I suppose Boogie might be against in principle but YA wouldn’t bring down this legislation
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »

Who voted against?
Mainly the JL I believe. They have a drug problem with the youth and some arguments about the “outsourcing” of drug crimes to them from Jews.

Lapid once said he was against and I suppose Boogie might be against in principle but YA wouldn’t bring down this legislation

I mean, a good chunk of the Joint List are religious Sunnis. It’s not at all shocking lol.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2020, 12:51:06 AM »

Who voted against?

I mean, a good chunk of the Joint List are religious Sunnis. It’s not at all shocking lol.
They might be religious Sunni but it’s not the reason they give for their opposition
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »

Found this on reddit
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »

Calcalist is to the left of Globes, and Maariv has a harder stance on Bibi then Yediot.

Just a fun fact: a substantial amount of Arabs actually read Hebrew newspapers over Arabic ones
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »

Some EU states are discussing sanctions on Israel if this Jordan Valley move goes ahead.

Well done Likud, you've dug yourselves in a deep one.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »

I agree that sanctions would be needed here. Military ones and targeted governmental ones that is.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »

Some EU states are discussing sanctions on Israel if this Jordan Valley move goes ahead.

Well done Likud, you've dug yourselves in a deep one.

Eh, not gonna happen. EU members can't enforce trade sanctions unless it's backed by the rest of EU, & there will be a cold day in hell before Germany does anything that's critical of Israel.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies