Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:10:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government  (Read 20788 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2020, 05:43:58 AM »

3, all this really gives me the vibe Shas are a nasty party, even by the standards of Isreali politics.

They're just basically a cult. I worked in a polling place in the April election, and one woman who came from another city came looking for a polling place where you could vote as an absentee. She was distressed because "it's a sacred obligation to vote Shas". They use their dead Rabbie, Ovadia Yossef, who was really popular, in all their ads, telling voters that he's "looking from above" and that they have to vote Shas for him. They also sold charms against covid-19 last time and other "blessings" every election. Not to mention the fact that their leader served a jail sentence for corruption and is now due to be indicted again.
I'm laughing at the the irony that they attack Russians for mafia stuff while they are basically THE mafia in Isreali politics, due to their exceptional corruption. Is that bad?

Well, they have no organzied or violent crime connections that I know of. Generally, mafia stuff isn't really an issue in Israeli politics (save pershaps for instances like the witnesses in Lieberman's trial, um, disappearing). But I think it's an accurate assessment that both Shas and YB represent the bad sides of their sects and not the good (sadly, I think this can be said for a lot of sectarial parties- the Haredim, the religious zionists, even the Arabs to an extent).

There's some pretty serious allegations in Misha Glenny's book McMafia (which led to be interested in how Russian Jews are perceived) that Likud was infiltrated by organised crime.

After Dubai, Israel is the next money laundering capital of the Middle East...
Seems like a sensationalist claim to me (as well every organized crime allegation ever). Considering Income Tax Authority in Israel is pretty tough and strong.

Organized crime in Israel is very low scale and very low-fi. Likudniks definitely have some ties to criminals, but they're petty criminals.

Part for holding houses in Israel, Russian mobsters don't seem to be money laundering here in a large scale
Don't Russians tend to prefer Cyprus as a money store, as opposed to Isreal?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2020, 05:45:27 AM »

3, all this really gives me the vibe Shas are a nasty party, even by the standards of Isreali politics.

They're just basically a cult. I worked in a polling place in the April election, and one woman who came from another city came looking for a polling place where you could vote as an absentee. She was distressed because "it's a sacred obligation to vote Shas". They use their dead Rabbie, Ovadia Yossef, who was really popular, in all their ads, telling voters that he's "looking from above" and that they have to vote Shas for him. They also sold charms against covid-19 last time and other "blessings" every election. Not to mention the fact that their leader served a jail sentence for corruption and is now due to be indicted again.
I'm laughing at the the irony that they attack Russians for mafia stuff while they are basically THE mafia in Isreali politics, due to their exceptional corruption. Is that bad?

Well, they have no organzied or violent crime connections that I know of. Generally, mafia stuff isn't really an issue in Israeli politics (save pershaps for instances like the witnesses in Lieberman's trial, um, disappearing). But I think it's an accurate assessment that both Shas and YB represent the bad sides of their sects and not the good (sadly, I think this can be said for a lot of sectarial parties- the Haredim, the religious zionists, even the Arabs to an extent).

There's some pretty serious allegations in Misha Glenny's book McMafia (which led to be interested in how Russian Jews are perceived) that Likud was infiltrated by organised crime.

Seems like a sensationalist claim to me (as well every organized crime allegation ever). Considering Income Tax Authority in Israel is pretty tough and strong.

Organized crime in Israel is very low scale and very low-fi. Likudniks definitely have some ties to criminals, but they're petty criminals.

Part for holding houses in Israel, Russian mobsters don't seem to be money laundering here in a large scale
I really don't know, it's possible. But claiming Israel is a secret hub for covert organized crime activity is quite fantastic
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2020, 05:46:25 AM »

You are right, Cyprus is also mentioned in the book as a money laundering scene.
A country that should never have been let into the EU.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2020, 05:51:27 AM »

Change the population. Israeli population is almost entirely originated from places where the standards for what is corrupt are much weaker than the west. And it's no coincidence our legal system shaped by German immigrants is at odds with the political system on corruption
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2020, 05:52:23 AM »

I really don't know, it's possible. But claiming Israel is a secret hub for covert organized crime activity is quite fantastic

But not out of the question, given Israel has certain caracteristics, such as a sizeable diaspora that organised crime there can use as a cover to disguise dodgy transfers. And a porous border. And a much more open society than any country in the region. White collar crime is hardly reserved to countries like them but in the land of the blind the one eyed is king.

I can imagine that since the 1990s and 2000s where the sudden opening of capital around the world took authorities by surprise they have cleaned up their act.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2020, 06:11:48 AM »

You are right, Cyprus is also mentioned in the book as a money laundering scene.
A country that should never have been let into the EU.

Cyprus was certainly used by Milosovic's Serbia as a major sanctions busting route in the 1990s.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »

Yamina going to the opposition claiming they want to create a right wing opposition to this left government. It might have been perceived as sincere had we not known that Yamina would have happily got in with 1-2 more ministerial positions.

Bennett and Shaked preparing to stick the knife in, maybe?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2020, 01:42:19 AM »

Yamina going to the opposition claiming they want to create a right wing opposition to this left government. It might have been perceived as sincere had we not known that Yamina would have happily got in with 1-2 more ministerial positions.

Bennett and Shaked preparing to stick the knife in, maybe?
More like a 7 seat party has more ego than actual strength
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM »

Government to be sworn in this Thursday.

Bar for the allocation of the minor portfolios nothing interest left.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »

"Whether Regev or Ohana will be police minister" is nothing of interest? Sad!
(/s)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

"Whether Regev or Ohana will be police minister" is nothing of interest? Sad!
(/s)
Not really. It’s a ministerial position with almost zero power
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »

Gilad Arden accepted the dual position as ambassador both to Washington and the US (a post held by Abba Eban ages ago). Ardan would enter his new role on November. Which is interesting. Current ambassador Dremer is very close with the GOP, I think Bibi is keeping him there a bit longer for a strong push on the annexation. But it also seems Bibi does not think Trump is going to win.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »

Gilad Arden accepted the dual position as ambassador both to Washington and the US (a post held by Abba Eban ages ago). Ardan would enter his new role on November. Which is interesting. Current ambassador Dremer is very close with the GOP, I think Bibi is keeping him there a bit longer for a strong push on the annexation. But it also seems Bibi does not think Trump is going to win.

"Washington and the US"? Do you mean the US plus international organizations headquartered in Washington like the World Bank and the IMF?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »

"Washington and the US"? Do you mean the US plus international organizations headquartered in Washington like the World Bank and the IMF?

Not who you were replying to, but Erdan's double role will be Ambassador to the U.S. & U.N.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2020, 02:31:24 AM »

Sorry miscliclked. The UN of course.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2020, 04:59:51 AM »

Yamina spokesmen are going on a rant about how they’re gonna take down Netanyahu.

TBH, I totally didn’t see this one coming.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2020, 05:27:53 AM »

Yamina spokesmen are going on a rant about how they’re gonna take down Netanyahu.

TBH, I totally didn’t see this one coming.
Considering the religious right lost 50% of its vote share in a year and there’s more national religious voting Likud than Yamina I’d say they’re all talk but no rock. Also who forced them to sign loyalty papers for over a year when it was sure Bibi would throw them aside the first moment he could?

The settlers don’t need Yamina, and their only core issues are the judicial system and paleoliberterian positions. So long, 4 ego maniacs
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2020, 03:02:57 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 03:08:25 AM by Parrotguy »

Some updates that weren't covered:

1. Today in the evening we're finally officially getting a government sworn in. It'll be a bloated government of 73 people, the majority of which will be Ministers- wait, weren't they 72? Just a moment Tongue
2. Rumours (I think unfounded) that Dudi Amsalem, certified dumbass who definitely doesn't know English, will get the London Ambassadorship which would be hilarious
3. Gilad Erdan being shipped off to be Ambassador to Washington and the U.N. is significant because he's the current Internal Security Minister who's one of the more competent Likud people willing (kindaaaa) to challenge Netanyahu
4. Yamina will stay in opposition, BUT: Rafi Peretz (Jewish Home) is splitting from Yamina to join the government as Minister for Jerusalem and National Projects, also responsible for the Settlement Division and National Service. Basically a tailor-made role to advance settler interests and to keep deepening the influence of religion in Israel.
5. Orly Levy will finally get a Ministry- and it's a total joke called "Minister for Social Strengthening and Advancement", which is basically nothing and would be better if it was just called "Minister without Protfolio". She'll be responsible for the struggle against violence, alcohol and drugs, protecting kids in the internet and a vague "empowering the Arab public" project. A total joke, as I said.
6. The Health Ministry will go to former Speaker of the Knesset Yuli Edlestein, and Education probably stays with Likud too.

Personal take: this Rafi Peretz thing is my last straw with Gantz and Amir Peretz. It was one of the easiest things they could do- just like, not allow Peretz to split from Yamina and join the government. It's not even the whole Yamina, it's just one person who Bibi doesn't care that much about. They could've easily demanded that he stays out. Instead, they choose to betray the LGBT+ community by letting Mr. Conversion Therapy get in and keep supporting the settlements and the increasing influence of religion with ideological zeal (a Likud Minister would be much less ideological about it and would probably mostly pay lip service). Not that his Minsitryt is very important but it's just another sign of how little they care. A total disgrace.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2020, 03:12:08 AM »

The funny thing about Levy is that her office sounds like a duplicate of the fictive ministry from the cult satire show Polishook. In practice they gave her some of the authorities of internal security including the war on drugs and community security in the Arab sector. Weird move.
B&W are also supposed to appoint this Bedouin professor as a minister for minorities with Peretz in charge of Bedouin development (seems like a long term plan to draw them for JL). But this government would be a massive toe stepping mechanism.

As to Peretz, well he knew as political days are over. Bibi wanted to stick one to Bennet, and Gantz was his friend from the military. I’m not sure how the Likud people aren’t going beserk with ministries given to this nobodies.

The confidence vote will take place today at 20:00 after a new speaker is sworn in.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2020, 03:17:52 AM »

Michaeli announced she’s voting against the confidence motion which means she will have to split from Labour.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2020, 03:23:54 AM »

Michaeli announced she’s voting against the confidence motion which means she will have to split from Labour.

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2020, 03:36:59 AM »

Who do you think she will join?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2020, 03:46:35 AM »

I'm guessing she'll stay independent and claim to represent "the voters of Labour" or something.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2020, 07:11:43 AM »

Wait for yair Golan to call for an open primaries for leadership and list in the left and hop in.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2020, 07:23:50 AM »

Why couldn't they have Fateen Mulla, the Arab "represent arabs".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies