Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:31:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government  (Read 20764 times)
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »

Stupid question but did Yamina have a specific ethnic/religious group voting bloc before it became suddenly popular? Like primarily Ashkenazi/Sephardi or Reform Orthodox . I remember someone saying they attracted black kippa wearers but maybe that was about Shas.

"National Religious", i.e. either Modern Orthodox or Hardal.
Yes, although less cohesive than in the past. the "religious lite" and the anglo-Saxon modern orthodox immigrants vote more to the left (as are the remnants of the religious Kibbutz movement). The hardcore Hardals ran their own party against LGTBQs last time around quit toward the end and the core of those people voted for UTJ (Rabbi Tau's flock).

The national-religious movement is now too big for one sectorial party.

Back when Mafdal was a thing, roughly what share of national religious vote did they get?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »

Stupid question but did Yamina have a specific ethnic/religious group voting bloc before it became suddenly popular? Like primarily Ashkenazi/Sephardi or Reform Orthodox . I remember someone saying they attracted black kippa wearers but maybe that was about Shas.

"National Religious", i.e. either Modern Orthodox or Hardal.
Yes, although less cohesive than in the past. the "religious lite" and the anglo-Saxon modern orthodox immigrants vote more to the left (as are the remnants of the religious Kibbutz movement). The hardcore Hardals ran their own party against LGTBQs last time around quit toward the end and the core of those people voted for UTJ (Rabbi Tau's flock).

The national-religious movement is now too big for one sectorial party.

Back when Mafdal was a thing, roughly what share of national religious vote did they get?
Really hard to measure but until the 70’s almost all of it as they were the pivot of every coalition. A bit voted labour, a bit voted Herut.
With the rise of the settlers movement that shifted them to the right, from the 80’s fringe right parties like Moldet and T’hia took more of their votes. Also more light religious people moved to Likud, and the old religious left voted labour.
By the 00’s they were dominant but not the majority with so many other right wing parties.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2020, 06:50:22 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2020, 06:59:53 PM by Vosem »

Why is Sa'ar considered prime ministerial material? I understand that Gantz was the head of the army, Lieberman has held a bunch of ministerial positions, Lapid was a very prominent and popular journalist, Bennett was a software entrepreneur, and so forth. Sa'ar doesn't seem like he has unique qualifications or experiences -- why is he able to outshine all of these people as an alternative to Netanyahu?

Kachlon makes much more sense to me (since he had actual accomplishments as Minister of Communications). Why is it that Kulanu failed to take off but Sa'ar is polling at 20 seats?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #303 on: December 19, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 04:48:40 PM by Hnv1 »

Why is Sa'ar considered prime ministerial material? I understand that Gantz was the head of the army, Lieberman has held a bunch of ministerial positions, Lapid was a very prominent and popular journalist, Bennett was a software entrepreneur, and so forth. Sa'ar doesn't seem like he has unique qualifications or experiences -- why is he able to outshine all of these people as an alternative to Netanyahu?

Kachlon makes much more sense to me (since he had actual accomplishments as Minister of Communications). Why is it that Kulanu failed to take off but Sa'ar is polling at 20 seats?
What made Bibi PM material in 1996? Nothing. Gantz was the CoGS (not just the army) but as most generals proved terrible in politics.
What’s Saar’s appeal?...I can only guess that a myriad of factors.
He looks honest, as in old school right wing Beitar honest.
He’s politically savvy and quite popular with politicos and journalists and they boost his image.
He’s actually good at communicating in a nerdy way. Gantz is a terrible speaker, Lieberman has a foreign accent, and Lapid is usually appealing to an electorate more educated than him and comes off shallow.
Unlike all of the above he looks like he could form a coalition as soft leftists could at least not oppose his government in a confidence vote.

I actually know people who know him (from legal circles and the Tel Aviv yuppies). Very dangerous person. Not in the populist proto-fascist Bibi way, but in a back room quite power moves way. He’s a pence not a Trump
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »

Former minister, convict, and massive ****, Haim Ramon has been negotiating between Gantz and a Bibi for the past few days trying to maintain the government. If they do reach some agreement they 4 days to try to bend the constitution and laws to somehow enable it, I doubt it’s possible but still. Gantz is an absolute disgrace, I can’t see him running again personally.

Ramon is planning to go back in. Slimey person. Shula Aloni RIP was bang on the head about his egoism and smartly passed him away from Meretz when he pissed Rabin off. Sex offender and a dirtbag
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #305 on: December 22, 2020, 01:14:42 AM »

After some B&W MKs vote against and one Likud ML who immediately joined Sa’ar afterwards it’s I think impossible to delay an election. The Knesset will dissolve tonight at 00:00
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #306 on: December 22, 2020, 04:14:26 AM »

current election date is 23.03.2021 which is on Passover, the Knesset can delay election day up to 3.4.2021
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #307 on: December 22, 2020, 04:17:26 AM »

current election date is 23.03.2021 which is on Passover, the Knesset can delay election day up to 3.4.2021

Hmm, that gives me a malicious idea assuming the Knesset has no restrictions on election day.

If (at some point) a left wing government gets into power, could they put the election on a Saturday? (To de facto disenfranchise the more devoutly religious Jewish people, presumably conservative for the most part)

It would be a dirth tactic but it would work I suppose.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #308 on: December 22, 2020, 04:23:27 AM »

Hmm, that gives me a malicious idea assuming the Knesset has no restrictions on election day.

If (at some point) a left wing government gets into power, could they put the election on a Saturday? (To de facto disenfranchise the more devoutly religious Jewish people, presumably conservative for the most part)

It would be a dirth tactic but it would work I suppose.
shortly, no. The Basic Law: Knesset dictates elections must be held on Tuesdays
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2021, 08:50:51 PM »

Facebook suspends Messenger page of Benjamin Netanyahu.

Facebook has deleted a post by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and suspended a chatbot linked to his account for violating the company's privacy policy.

Visitors to the Prime Minister's Facebook page, who clicked on a link about the coronavirus, received an automatic message, purporting to come from Netanyahu.

"If you have friends or family members aged 60 or over who have not yet been vaccinated, you can write a response here with their name and phone number, and I may call to convince them!" the message read.

Taking action and removing the items, Facebook said, via a spokesperson, that "under our privacy policy we do not allow content that shares or asks for people's medical information."
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2021, 08:51:13 AM »

The Israeli Supreme Court ruled that non-Orthodox Jews who have converted can become citizens.

Israel’s Supreme Court on Monday dealt a major blow to the country’s powerful Orthodox establishment, ruling that people who convert to Judaism through the Reform and Conservative movements in Israel are also Jewish and entitled to become citizens.

The landmark ruling, 15 years in the making, centered around the combustible question of who is Jewish and marked an important victory for the Reform and Conservative movements. These liberal streams of Judaism, which represent the vast majority of affiliated American Jews, have long been marginalized in Israel.

“If the state of Israel claims to be the nation-state of the Jewish world, then the state of Israel must recognize all the denominations of Judaism and imbue them with equality and respect,” said Rabbi Gilad Kariv, head of the Reform movement in Israel and a candidate with the liberal Labor Party in upcoming parliamentary elections.

Israel’s powerful ultra-Orthodox establishment has held a virtual monopoly on religious matters for Israeli Jews, overseeing life-cycle rituals like weddings and burials and using their political clout to gain influence over matters like immigration.

Monday’s ruling chipped away at that power by saying that the state must allow Jews who undergo conversions with the liberal movements in Israel to receive citizenship.

“Jews who during their stay in Israel were legally converted in a Reform or Conservative community must be recognized as Jews,” the court said in its majority decision. It said the ruling only applied to the question of citizenship, and did not delve into religious affairs.

Israel previously recognized conversions by the liberal streams conducted overseas. This ruling now applies to conversions inside Israel.

The ruling does not resolve the issues faced by people who qualify for citizenship under the so-called Law of Return but are not considered Jewish under religious law.

The Law of Return grants citizenship to anyone with at least one Jewish grandparent, while religious law requires one to have a Jewish mother. These different definitions have allowed tens of thousands of people, mostly from the Soviet Union, to immigrate to Israel, only to suffer from discrimination when seeking religious services from the state.

Monday’s ruling only directly affects about 30 people a year, such as spouses of Israeli citizens, advocates say. But both supporters and opponents of the decision suggested there was much deeper symbolism.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:33 AM »

Was that ruling expected?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies