UK Supreme Court rules that Uber drivers are workers, not self-employed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Supreme Court rules that Uber drivers are workers, not self-employed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: UK Supreme Court rules that Uber drivers are workers, not self-employed  (Read 1021 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »

Moving left as a result of working in gig jobs is a much more common experience than some people in this thread seem to think. Its definately something that has moved me left over the last couple of years.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »

Even if this is the correct framing, which I doubt, am I supposed to think of this as automatically worse than a great victory for rideshare app companies? One vested corporate interest isn't preferable to another just because it's headquartered in the Bay Area and accessed through some gizmo.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 01:07:08 PM »

They also allegedly haven't paid £1.5 bn in VAT.

I think Uber will probably pull out of the UK rather than comply.

It always baffled me how they have lasted this long, considering that HMRC  & the Treasury absolutely hate the self-employed (and even more so the 'fake' self-employed)

As much as I'd love to discuss I can't Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:38 PM »

Moving left as a result of working in gig jobs is a much more common experience than some people in this thread seem to think. Its definately something that has moved me left over the last couple of years.

Yes; in my experience, tons of people who have gig jobs for a long time feel that they're "stuck" in the gig economy and turn to left-wing policy as a potential way out. The only type of work that seems to rival it in terms of making people leftists is retail (another classic "well the employee chose that abusive work environment" field). Of course there are also people whose experience with gig jobs leads them to believe that the state, unions, etc. should just butt out of their efforts to provide for themselves, but the idea that that takeaway is somehow default or normative strikes me as ideological fanfiction of the right in the same way that the idea that Uber drivers see themselves as an oppressed underclass is ideological fanfiction of the left.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 02:12:30 PM »

I'm going to open a restaurant using Uber's amazing business model: I'll simply disrupt the existing restaurant market by not following regulations I don't feel like! Genius!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies