Indian Court rules groping a child through clothes isn't sexual assault
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:11:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Indian Court rules groping a child through clothes isn't sexual assault
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indian Court rules groping a child through clothes isn't sexual assault  (Read 746 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:53:15 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bombay-high-court-groping-case-india-child-sexual-assault/

An Indian court has ruled that groping a child cannot be deemed sexual assault as long as there is no "skin-to-skin contact" or "sexual intent." The January 19 ruling by Bombay High Court Justice Pushpa V. Ganediwala cleared a 39-year-old man who had been accused of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl in 2016 of any wrong doing. It has drawn widespread criticism from activists in a country plagued by rape and sexual violence.

During the trial, the girl accused the defendant in the case, a man who goes only by the name Satish, of bringing her to his house on the pretext of giving her food and then groping her breast and trying to remove her clothes.

In her verdict, Justice Ganediwala said the incident couldn't be defined as sexual assault under the national Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act as, "per the definition of 'sexual assault', a 'physical contact with sexual intent without penetration' is an essential ingredient of the offence."
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:12:06 PM »

Atlas keeps telling me this is a civilized country we should embrace.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:10:48 PM »

If having horrible courts means a country isn't civilized, we Americans very much live in a glass house.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:22 PM »

If having horrible courts means a country isn't civilized, we Americans very much live in a glass house.

I'm talking about the people doing the raping and sexual assaulting.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:15:04 PM »

OK, well, I feel like it goes without saying that those people are not exactly representative of all Indians.

That said, horrible ruling, obviously.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 07:23:49 AM »

They think marital rape isn’t a thing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2021, 10:26:00 AM by CumbrianLeftie »

To state the obvious retort, these things don't also happen in the US as well??
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bombay-high-court-groping-case-india-child-sexual-assault/

An Indian court has ruled that groping a child cannot be deemed sexual assault as long as there is no "skin-to-skin contact" or "sexual intent." The January 19 ruling by Bombay High Court Justice Pushpa V. Ganediwala cleared a 39-year-old man who had been accused of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl in 2016 of any wrong doing. It has drawn widespread criticism from activists in a country plagued by rape and sexual violence.

During the trial, the girl accused the defendant in the case, a man who goes only by the name Satish, of bringing her to his house on the pretext of giving her food and then groping her breast and trying to remove her clothes.

In her verdict, Justice Ganediwala said the incident couldn't be defined as sexual assault under the national Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act as, "per the definition of 'sexual assault', a 'physical contact with sexual intent without penetration' is an essential ingredient of the offence."

The only way this is merely a horrible ruling instead of a completely horrible ruling is if in Hindi, "physical contact" implies only skin-to-skin contact.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »

How f**ked up.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 01:39:40 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Turner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Kavanaugh#Sexual_assault_allegations

Obviously there's no denying that rape culture is uniquely terrible in India, but it is still very terrible right f**king here.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 04:03:44 AM »

India can be a pretty gruesome place for women, but it just gets overshadowed by its even worse neighbor, otherwise stuff like this would get way more attention.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 06:46:10 AM »

India just have different take on these matters

See

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/sc-lets-off-rape-accused-after-he-agrees-to-marry-complainant-in-6-months-101613005573547.html

"SC lets off rape accused after he agrees to marry complainant in 6 months"

The entire definition of rape is different in many states in India.  There, if a man convinces a women to have sexual relationships with him under a promise to marry her but then does not carry out this promise that is considered rape.  Because this widens the definition of rape you can undo a conviction of rape if such a man does then marry the women even if it was through violence versus false pretenses of marrying said women.

BTW this standard seems to be the same as third wave feminism.  Back the early 1990s in college I happen to have sat at a lunch table with a leading feminist leader on campus.  She claimed to me that 1/4 of women students have been raped.  I rejected such numbers but realized after some discussion with her that her definition of rape includes voluntary sexual relations but if somehow the couple broke up the women can retroactively claim rape.  When I read about the Indian definition of rape years later I was like "wow, India is really carrying out the third wave feminist agenda"
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »

India just have different take on these matters

See

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/sc-lets-off-rape-accused-after-he-agrees-to-marry-complainant-in-6-months-101613005573547.html

"SC lets off rape accused after he agrees to marry complainant in 6 months"

The entire definition of rape is different in many states in India.  There, if a man convinces a women to have sexual relationships with him under a promise to marry her but then does not carry out this promise that is considered rape.  Because this widens the definition of rape you can undo a conviction of rape if such a man does then marry the women even if it was through violence versus false pretenses of marrying said women.

BTW this standard seems to be the same as third wave feminism.  Back the early 1990s in college I happen to have sat at a lunch table with a leading feminist leader on campus.  She claimed to me that 1/4 of women students have been raped.  I rejected such numbers but realized after some discussion with her that her definition of rape includes voluntary sexual relations but if somehow the couple broke up the women can retroactively claim rape.  When I read about the Indian definition of rape years later I was like "wow, India is really carrying out the third wave feminist agenda"

All that I can say to that, is that I have never known any "feminist" who would make such a claim.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 07:46:05 AM »

They think marital rape isn’t a thing.
Honor killings are also a thing there among multiple religions.
Saruku

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »

The contrast between China and India shows that liberal democracy ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »

The contrast between China and India shows that liberal democracy ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 12:19:30 PM »

I love horseshoe theory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies