Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:43:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: The Return of the Rotation Government  (Read 20749 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »

'member the 80's with the rotation government? I 'member!

Finally we can have a non election thread.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »

This is the most exciting thing to happen this week (not the government, the moving threads)
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »

The Haredim always manage to sneak into these governments. Ugh.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »

Tbh? We had a "thin" government without the Haredim in 2013 and nothing really changed. If we want secular reforms, we need to get the religious zionists out just as much as the Haredim. And if we want good government, we need to get Likud out of power.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 01:38:25 PM »

Tbh? We had a "thin" government without the Haredim in 2013 and nothing really changed. If we want secular reforms, we need to get the religious zionists out just as much as the Haredim. And if we want good government, we need to get Likud out of power.

Honestly, the pace snd scale of secularization in Israel is so dramatic that it doesn't really matter what the government does. Society is running laps around government and the Haredi foot-dragging can br viewed as a desperate attempt to slow things down. The reality is that even Haredi society is moving faster than government, so the Haredi political game is something of a joke.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »

Honestly, the pace snd scale of secularization in Israel is so dramatic that it doesn't really matter what the government does. Society is running laps around government and the Haredi foot-dragging can br viewed as a desperate attempt to slow things down. The reality is that even Haredi society is moving faster than government, so the Haredi political game is something of a joke.

How so?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 02:24:27 PM »

I just took a peep on the coalition agreement. I don't think parts of it will stand judicial review.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 02:35:10 PM »

How so?

Well they do say that religious couples give birth to more secular babies than secular couples do.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 09:02:49 PM »

Well they do say that religious couples give birth to more secular babies than secular couples do.
What, does Yair Lapid wait outside hospital rooms and steal Haredi babies?
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 03:29:19 AM »

How so?

Haredi society built around the idea that rabbinic leadership is the final world not just on halachic matters but also politics and other more mundane matters. That is changing every day. More and more Haredim are doing what they want (going to university, working, etc.) regardless of what some rabbi says. If you understand Haredi Judaism you understand that this is revolutionary and will absolutely bring down the Haredi power structure within a generation.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »

Is KL still going to be overrepresented in the major ministries?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 03:00:19 AM »

Is KL still going to be overrepresented in the major ministries?
Yes
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 03:15:07 AM »

Victory, I guess.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 06:32:47 AM »

Enabling is what I call it.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 05:40:59 AM »

I just took a peep on the coalition agreement. I don't think parts of it will stand judicial review.
Indeed the "extended leap frog Norwegian law" which would have allowed B&W to resign but to be placed only by Hosen members further down the list is currently off the table (retroactive).

I expect the mechanism designed to override the regular apparatus of constructive motion of no confidence set in the Section 28 of the basic-law: government to be nullified by the SC as it constrains the power of the majority of the Knesset to elect a government. Also, the automatic substitution of PMs at a single date could raise some issues. What if B&W dissolves by then and Gantz is left with only 4 MKs supporting him, should he really be allowed to automatically become PM with no confidence?

Some of the rotational mechanisms regarding sacking and appointing ministers could go either way. The high road would have been a gentlemen's agreement like between 84-88, but as I wouldn't believe Bibi telling me it's raining during a monsoon I can understand the need for assurances.

As to the difficulties with some many sycophants on one side and too little on the other to man all posts. Likud will probably send some members to be ambassadors. Haskel is rumored to be heading to Australia. Ardan to the UN. Akonis might go to London. Meanwhile, Gantz who has too few MKs to fill all posts in the house and in government will probably appoint exterior ministers to some posts as professional ministers.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 06:07:59 AM »

Indeed the "extended leap frog Norwegian law" which would have allowed B&W to resign but to be placed only by Hosen members further down the list is currently off the table (retroactive).

I expect the mechanism designed to override the regular apparatus of constructive motion of no confidence set in the Section 28 of the basic-law: government to be nullified by the SC as it constrains the power of the majority of the Knesset to elect a government. Also, the automatic substitution of PMs at a single date could raise some issues. What if B&W dissolves by then and Gantz is left with only 4 MKs supporting him, should he really be allowed to automatically become PM with no confidence?

Some of the rotational mechanisms regarding sacking and appointing ministers could go either way. The high road would have been a gentlemen's agreement like between 84-88, but as I wouldn't believe Bibi telling me it's raining during a monsoon I can understand the need for assurances.

As to the difficulties with some many sycophants on one side and too little on the other to man all posts. Likud will probably send some members to be ambassadors. Haskel is rumored to be heading to Australia. Ardan to the UN. Akonis might go to London. Meanwhile, Gantz who has too few MKs to fill all posts in the house and in government will probably appoint exterior ministers to some posts as professional ministers.

Good riddance to Haskel, who'll no longer influence economic policy as a useless ambassador. Arden is one of the least incompetent Ministers in Likud, but at least he's better to represent us than clown Danon.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 02:44:41 PM »

So...

- Labor party central committee okays their entry into the coalition
- Meretz MKs are calling them sellouts, telling left-wing activists to join them instead
- Mairav Michaeli accuses Peretz of stealing votes, saying she's gonna see what the Supreme Court decides before making her next step
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 10:50:37 PM »

So...

- Meretz MKs are calling them sellouts, telling left-wing activists to join them instead
- Mairav Michaeli accuses Peretz of stealing votes, saying she's gonna see what the Supreme Court decides before making her next step

The fact that about 1/3rd of the party convention voted against joining government shows that there are some people who will respond to that call from the left. I can definitely see them failing to cross the threshold next time, at this rate. I think it will be a double squeeze, too, as more moderate Labor voters could migrate to Yesh Atid thanks to continued opposition to Netanyahu, but Meretz is the much greater threat.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 01:37:43 AM »

So...

The fact that about 1/3rd of the party convention voted against joining government shows that there are some people who will respond to that call from the left. I can definitely see them failing to cross the threshold next time, at this rate. I think it will be a double squeeze, too, as more moderate Labor voters could migrate to Yesh Atid thanks to continued opposition to Netanyahu, but Meretz is the much greater threat.

One poll had them at 1.1%. Below Gesher, Drek Israel (Hendel and Hauser) and Otzma. Labour is dead.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 06:12:10 AM »

So...

One poll had them at 1.1%. Below Gesher, Drek Israel (Hendel and Hauser) and Otzma. Labour is dead.

To put that in context, Brexit Party still polls higher than that in at least some UK surveys.

What a bathetic end.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 10:54:16 AM »

So...

Yikes... those are Tulsi Gabbard numbers
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 10:02:52 PM »

wait WHAT
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »

wait WHAT

To clarify, Lapid will give Netanyahu the necessary majority to end the coalition rotation, and then bring down Gantz by a no confidence vote.

So Gantz will only serve as Prime Minister if Netanyahu doesn't want to go to elections.

So he'd be willing to help out Netanyahu for the sake of f**king Gantz over?? Don't get me wrong, Gantz is a piece of sh*t and seeing him humiliated like that would be fun, but if the end result is Netanyahu getting what he wants, that's far far worse.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 03:09:49 AM »

If Ya’alon or anyone from Yesh Atid or the Joint List refuses to back Gantz in opposition to Bibi out of indignation then they deserve to go too tbh. While Gantz is definitely unfit to run, the only reason you’d think of doing something like that is if you thought Gantz is just as bad or worse than Bibi, which is a questionable stance in itself.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 01:07:57 PM »

This just about sums it all up doesn't it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies