2022 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:54:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2022 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 ... 157
Author Topic: 2022 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread  (Read 175606 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3375 on: October 25, 2022, 04:35:13 PM »

Lisa Scheller (PA-07) dumping another $700K of her own money into the race. As if the insane money the GOP has dumped into it for her hasn't been enough...

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1584725382502051840
kwabbit

« Reply #3376 on: October 25, 2022, 04:47:22 PM »

VA-10 gets moved right but KS-03 gets moved left? Blue district Democrats are struggling but NC-01 is moved to the left? A lot of this doesn't really make sense.

So magically the Dems are gaining where they did well this summer (KS-3, Alaska) and not being downgraded in NY-19 but the bottom is falling out in NY-17, Oregon and educated districts like Levin in CA? Polling firms are clearly having issues again and this time they might be missing everyone all around.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. If the bottom was falling out in bluer areas, then NY-19 should've been downgraded, and I wouldn't expect a suburban district like KS-3 to get upgraded bluer, while a generally more bluer area (like CA-49) gets downgraded lower.

Kind of like how I feel about CT. Clearly the bottom is not falling out for Lamont or Blumenthal, most polls have them up by double digits. But somehow the bottom is falling out for.... Hayes in CT-05? An incumbent who hasn't really had any issues before? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Congressional races are still somewhat local and the campaigning matters. Kansas looks good for the Democrats this year and Davids is a good campaigner.

I think Levin is being downgraded in part because early vote data looks good for the GOP in OC and SD county.

I mean, if we're going by the early vote data then Christy Smith should be Lean D, lol. (That's the only thing that makes me question the whole "triaging" thing - it's still early but it's D+13 in the early vote so far, the biggest out of all the competitive CA races)

I don't think Garcia vs. Smith was necessarily triaged either. Money probably makes less of a difference in that House race among all possible competitive races. The TV market is extremely expensive and the candidates are running against each other for the third time. The Dems were paying a lot of money for comparatively little viewership by people who already have more of a hardened opinion of the candidates. They would get more bang for their buck defending Axne, Craig, Luria and all of the non major-metro incumbents who would make up a possible Democratic majority. Probably the same reason that Malinowski lost some money, given how expensive the NYC market is.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3377 on: October 25, 2022, 05:12:48 PM »

VA-10 gets moved right but KS-03 gets moved left? Blue district Democrats are struggling but NC-01 is moved to the left? A lot of this doesn't really make sense.

So magically the Dems are gaining where they did well this summer (KS-3, Alaska) and not being downgraded in NY-19 but the bottom is falling out in NY-17, Oregon and educated districts like Levin in CA? Polling firms are clearly having issues again and this time they might be missing everyone all around.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. If the bottom was falling out in bluer areas, then NY-19 should've been downgraded, and I wouldn't expect a suburban district like KS-3 to get upgraded bluer, while a generally more bluer area (like CA-49) gets downgraded lower.

Kind of like how I feel about CT. Clearly the bottom is not falling out for Lamont or Blumenthal, most polls have them up by double digits. But somehow the bottom is falling out for.... Hayes in CT-05? An incumbent who hasn't really had any issues before? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Congressional races are still somewhat local and the campaigning matters. Kansas looks good for the Democrats this year and Davids is a good campaigner.

I think Levin is being downgraded in part because early vote data looks good for the GOP in OC and SD county.

I mean, if we're going by the early vote data then Christy Smith should be Lean D, lol. (That's the only thing that makes me question the whole "triaging" thing - it's still early but it's D+13 in the early vote so far, the biggest out of all the competitive CA races)

I don't think Garcia vs. Smith was necessarily triaged either. Money probably makes less of a difference in that House race among all possible competitive races. The TV market is extremely expensive and the candidates are running against each other for the third time. The Dems were paying a lot of money for comparatively little viewership by people who already have more of a hardened opinion of the candidates. They would get more bang for their buck defending Axne, Craig, Luria and all of the non major-metro incumbents who would make up a possible Democratic majority. Probably the same reason that Malinowski lost some money, given how expensive the NYC market is.

https://twitter.com/vanceulrich/status/1585023835598118912?s=46&t=8UDBrtuE1yQSHe1s0CfJKw

Triage my ass
kwabbit

« Reply #3378 on: October 25, 2022, 05:15:04 PM »

https://twitter.com/vanceulrich/status/1585023835598118912?s=46&t=8UDBrtuE1yQSHe1s0CfJKw

Triage my ass

I literally said it wasn't triaged.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3379 on: October 25, 2022, 05:24:55 PM »

I’m referring to the NYT article today saying Rs are winning CA-27
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3380 on: October 25, 2022, 05:32:57 PM »

I’m referring to the NYT article today saying Rs are winning CA-27

Why the hell did we nominate Christy Smith again?
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #3381 on: October 25, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 05:44:57 PM by Unelectable Bystander »

Triage my ass

No comment on the triage discussion, which has taken its course, but I will add context to this. The margin two years ago at this time was something like 58-30. It might not necessarily be good for Garcia, but it is unequivocally not good for Smith. This pattern is common throughout SoCal.

Before anybody accuses that of being hackish, I have stated earlier what I think looks good for both parties (Michigan and Georgia in particular look like bloodbaths for R’s). This is not one of those places.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3382 on: October 25, 2022, 05:46:08 PM »

Don't forget that one category of triage is patients who are in good enough shape that they don't need any immediate help.  Triage doesn't necessarily mean they're giving up on the race.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3383 on: October 25, 2022, 06:16:32 PM »

Also re: NJ-07 - I saw RRH post something about how DCCC took money from NJ-07 to put it in NY-17. I don't see the evidence of that - From the article on NJ-07, it didn't seem like DCCC ever had any money scheduled in that district to begin with. I could be wrong though.
TwinGeeks99
« Reply #3384 on: October 25, 2022, 08:12:19 PM »

Also re: NJ-07 - I saw RRH post something about how DCCC took money from NJ-07 to put it in NY-17. I don't see the evidence of that - From the article on NJ-07, it didn't seem like DCCC ever had any money scheduled in that district to begin with. I could be wrong though.
I mean, wasn't the district drawn as a balance between throwing Malinowski under the bus to shore up Gottheimer and Sherrill yet keeping the district winnable in blue waves?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3385 on: October 26, 2022, 07:02:04 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3386 on: October 26, 2022, 07:13:24 AM »

It collaborates that they will pick up about 20-25 seats, 25 if they are very lucky. When did Dems get to 218 in 18?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3387 on: October 26, 2022, 07:56:34 AM »

Morning Consult/POLITICO has D+5 this week, 47-42. It was D+1 last week, 45-44.

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-uploads/2022/10/25151347/2210148_crosstabs_POLITICO_RVs_v2_10-26-22_SH.pdf
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3388 on: October 26, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »

I'm sure this shift will get just as much media coverage as last week's Republican shift
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3389 on: October 26, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »

FYI, Morning Consult/Politico's poll around this time in 2018 was D+8... which is exactly what the final result ended up being.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #3390 on: October 26, 2022, 09:53:46 AM »

I'm sure this shift will get just as much media coverage as last week's Republican shift

The 4 republican hacks of Wasserman, Sabato, Cohn, and Silver must not be privy to this very high quality polling
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3391 on: October 26, 2022, 09:55:14 AM »

You know it’s a bad cycle for Democrats when Morning Consult is the best they got.
philly09

« Reply #3392 on: October 26, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3393 on: October 26, 2022, 10:50:41 AM »

Quite a shift in YouGov/Economist this week, too.

RV: D+4 (46-42) - was D+1 last week
LV: D+4 (49-45) - was R+1 last week

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/sp4h6s0adp/econTabReport.pdf
philly09

« Reply #3394 on: October 26, 2022, 10:52:20 AM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3395 on: October 26, 2022, 10:53:34 AM »

You saw my map, turnout is higher...in GOP areas. Unless you think that coalitions flipped overnight and now Detroit is the most Republican part of Michigan, I don't see any good evidence for these claims. And his logic is still using very flawed specials, but the specials overperformances were all still low turnout relative to the midterms in areas where Dems can be expected to do better among high propensity voters. I have heard zero arguments against this. The ONLY possible argument would be Peltola, but even then she had HUGE crossover support and still does.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #3396 on: October 26, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »

You know it’s a bad cycle for Democrats when Morning Consult is the best they got.

Is there a pollster you actually think is trustworthy this cycle?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3397 on: October 26, 2022, 10:57:10 AM »

Is there a pollster you actually think is trustworthy this cycle?
Rasmussen and Trafalgar.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3398 on: October 26, 2022, 10:58:25 AM »

There is such a disconnect between news stories, campaign committee spending, and Twitter cons on the one hand and independent polling on the other. I’m trying to pre-doom so I won’t be crushed if Republicans win the Senate but the evidence keeps confounding me. At least I understand why cons like Byron York are declaring a Republican victory.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #3399 on: October 26, 2022, 11:12:49 AM »

You saw my map, turnout is higher...in GOP areas. Unless you think that coalitions flipped overnight and now Detroit is the most Republican part of Michigan, I don't see any good evidence for these claims. And his logic is still using very flawed specials, but the specials overperformances were all still low turnout relative to the midterms in areas where Dems can be expected to do better among high propensity voters. I have heard zero arguments against this. The ONLY possible argument would be Peltola, but even then she had HUGE crossover support and still does.

I have a hard time squaring this information. On one hand, he’s not wrong in certain states like Michigan and Georgia that numbers look good for democrats based on modeled partisanship. On the other hand, the map above and other target smart graphics make it clear that rural turnout is up and white turnout is up in these same states (yes, even in Georgia, at the expense of Hispanics/Asians). I will note that those are two states without partisan registration, so it’s possible that their model is garbage and way too democrat-friendly. This can’t explain it entirely though.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 ... 157  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies