PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 09:38:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 291521 times)
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4625 on: October 12, 2022, 03:24:11 PM »

The MSM going full blown ableist against Fetterman makes my skin crawl. I use closed captioning whenever I watch Netflix or Hulu, does that mean I'm disqualified from holding political office? What a f****** joke. Don't ever let anyone tell you that there's such thing as the "liberal media" in this country.

One of the only things I will ever agree with Trump on is that the media in this country is irredeemably rotten.

I mean, just look at this horses*t.

I was just about to post this. Between CNN and NBC News, Fetterman campaign has had a constant barrage. This only fuels the recent Oz surge we've seen here in the last week.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4626 on: October 12, 2022, 03:26:03 PM »

The MSM going full blown ableist against Fetterman makes my skin crawl. I use closed captioning whenever I watch Netflix or Hulu, does that mean I'm disqualified from holding political office? What a f****** joke. Don't ever let anyone tell you that there's such thing as the "liberal media" in this country.

One of the only things I will ever agree with Trump on is that the media in this country is irredeemably rotten.

I was just about to post this. Between CNN and NBC News, Fetterman campaign has had a constant barrage. This only fuels the recent Oz surge we've seen here in the last week.

We haven't seen an Oz surge the last week. If anything, the narrative in the last week was horrific for Oz.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #4627 on: October 12, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »

We haven't seen an Oz surge the last week. If anything, the narrative in the last week was horrific for Oz.

I politely disagree. I also feel Oz is probably a couple points higher than his polls.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4628 on: October 12, 2022, 03:31:45 PM »

Alright, which one of you is Gene Marks?

Mehmet Oz is clueless about the economy. Pennsylvanians should vote for him anyway

There are many social issues, such as abortion, gun control and crime, that are high of mind for many voters. But as a small business owner who works directly with hundreds of other business executives both in Pennsylvania and around the country, I think it’s important to be clear which candidate would be better for business. That candidate is Mehmet Oz.

Why? Because Mehmet Oz would be a terrible senator.

But also, and I have no doubt about this, he’ll be a very good Republican. And that’s exactly what the business community needs right now in what has been a very anti-business environment over the past two years.

Oz is unqualified to be a U.S. senator. His motives are dubious, his support of former President Trump is disturbing, his medical ethics are questionable and his commitment to his prospective constituents is uncertain.

But based on what I’ve seen of Oz’s shallowness, the man would be so romanced by his newfound national stature and so desperate to maintain it that he would do whatever is necessary for his party to support him going forward. That means rubber-stamping any position the Republican Party takes. I like that; it’s a good thing.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4629 on: October 12, 2022, 03:32:06 PM »

Mod request: The discussion of Fetterman's stroke recovery has morphed into one about whether certain disabilities are disqualifying for public office.  While this is interesting in its own right, it's off-topic for this thread.  Please start a separate thread if you wish to continue the general discussion of that topic.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4630 on: October 12, 2022, 03:33:59 PM »

Mod request: The discussion of Fetterman's stroke recovery has morphed into one about whether certain disabilities are disqualifying for public office.  While this is interesting in its own right, it's off-topic for this thread.  Please start a separate thread if you wish to continue the general discussion of that topic.

Rethugs don't care about people with impairments, no matter how minor.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #4631 on: October 12, 2022, 03:41:33 PM »

No, it’s not off-topic whatsoever.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4632 on: October 12, 2022, 03:42:43 PM »

I'm hoping the puppies ad blunts any impact from this whole close-captioning thing.
kwabbit

« Reply #4633 on: October 12, 2022, 03:44:11 PM »

We don’t have any new data to make conclusions on, but if pollster is right about Oz leading in some internals then obviously it wasn’t such a bad week for him. CNN is a decent approximation of the wider narrative and there’s been more scrutiny over Fetterman’s health than over Oz’s dog abuse. Things like the Hitler Car, if that’s even an issue, have no penetration among swing voters. They might be popular in the liberal twitterverse but that’s much different than the media consumption of a union man in Erie or a wine mom in Chester County.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4634 on: October 12, 2022, 03:47:37 PM »

I'm hoping the puppies ad blunts any impact from this whole close-captioning thing.

I mean, the thing to remember here is that a lot of this discourse is very online. Average people are not reading Jonathan Martin or Ed O'Keefe's tweets.

Even if they did see the stories on Today Show or Nightly News, the only actually objectionable part was Burns's quick personal anecdote about "small talk"

And I imagine if MSNBC is talking about it, anyone who's watching that channel is not switching over to Oz anytime soon
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4635 on: October 12, 2022, 03:50:18 PM »

No, it’s not off-topic whatsoever.

If you want to talk about Fetterman's stroke recovery in this thread, that's fine.  If you want to discuss the general topic of disabilities in public office, that should be a separate thread.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #4636 on: October 12, 2022, 03:54:58 PM »

I don't really think the closed-captioning is anything new or that impactful (though it augurs poorly for Fetterman come time to debate). The puppy story will probably shift some people a bit.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4637 on: October 12, 2022, 04:02:10 PM »

Senate Majority PAC has begun airing ads about the allegations of animal abuse against Oz-

The super PAC will air two 30-second ads on the topic – one titled “Cruel,” where a narrator says dogs were “subjected to extreme suffering” in the lab, and another titled “6313,” which focuses on the treatment of a specific dog that suffered “days of unimaginable pain and suffering.”

One of the ads will first air on Tuesday during Game 1 of the National League Divisional Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Atlanta Braves. The ads will then be put into the super PAC’s statewide rotation, where an aide to the super PAC says millions will be spent to air it across Pennsylvania. One of the ads will also air during Game 2 of the series between the Phillies and the Braves on Wednesday. [...]

The ads use video that is labeled as generic footage of animal testing – including dogs in cages and in other lab settings – not video specifically taken from inside Oz’s lab at Columbia. Oz does appear in the ads at times, including in doctor’s scrubs and in what looks like a hospital setting, but an aide to the super PAC tells CNN there are no images of Oz inside the Columbia lab.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/11/politics/oz-animal-cruelty-accusations-democratic-ads/index.html

Smart (and absolutely right) move.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #4638 on: October 12, 2022, 04:06:41 PM »

This is the most exhausting race in the country. I hate everything about it from the candidates to the memes to the annoying supporters
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4639 on: October 12, 2022, 04:08:40 PM »

This is the most exhausting race in the country. I hate everything about it from the candidates to the memes to the annoying supporters

Hate to break it to you but this race was just a preview of MT-SEN 2024
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4640 on: October 12, 2022, 04:27:03 PM »

I would advise the GOP not to make it a common tactic to make fun of disabilities. It only rallies a fringe of their base, and would not be popular with the general public.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4641 on: October 12, 2022, 04:27:53 PM »

I don't really think the closed-captioning is anything new or that impactful (though it augurs poorly for Fetterman come time to debate). The puppy story will probably shift some people a bit.

Yeah, the thing is if you're already supporting Fetterman, you know all about his stroke already and likely know to some degree how he functions these days (the auditory processing or sometimes verbal stumbles, etc.) and are okay with it

For anyone who knows about the stroke, I don't think the captioning would be a major surprise. And I can't imagine anyone would be that *mad* or upset about it.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4642 on: October 12, 2022, 04:32:22 PM »

R-E-L-A-X everybody, there's a debate in 2 weeks. That should answer any questions on Fetterman's mental faculties.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4643 on: October 12, 2022, 04:36:41 PM »

R-E-L-A-X everybody, there's a debate in 2 weeks. That should answer any questions on Fetterman's mental faculties.

I mean, the live one hour interview today should have for anyone who really was wondering (and that doesn't include the many that are making disingenuous attacks)

I mean he sat there for an hour to answer questions, even from Jeffrey Lord for gods sake
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4644 on: October 12, 2022, 04:51:14 PM »

Fetterman isn't just slightly deaf, which is different than struggling to comprehend speech. It's pretty obvious he isn't the same as he was pre stroke.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4645 on: October 12, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »

I always believe in fairness.

To be fair and playing devil's advocate:

1) Some disabilities will inhibit people from doing certain jobs. No one would have a blind person drive a school bus. I do think mental disabilities are a bit more fluid and able to be worked around. So I wouldn't say someone on the autism spectrum would be entirely unable to become a salesperson. Difficult? Very. Impossible? Nope. Not at all.

2) I do believe it is more persuasive on the right to look down on people with disabilities. But that is only on the fringe of conservatives. But conservatives as a whole are far less likely to support protections for disabled people than liberals.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #4646 on: October 12, 2022, 04:53:04 PM »

Fetterman isn't just slightly deaf, which is different than struggling to comprehend speech. It's pretty obvious he isn't the same as he was pre stroke.

Obviously not, who is? It's been less than six months.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4647 on: October 12, 2022, 04:59:04 PM »

Republicans literally have sitting members of congress who can't name three branches of government and think that we should get rid of unconstitutional provisions of the constitution along with clowns who believe in Jewish space lasers and think a ring of baby-eating zombie pedophiles run the government.

Some auditory processing issues are nothing in the face of that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4648 on: October 12, 2022, 05:40:04 PM »

Oz has time for Fox News, but not to sit for any editorial board meetings where *he* has to answer questions.

Funny how most of the press is silent on this, but Fetterman is the one who must answer "questions" about his candidacy

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4649 on: October 12, 2022, 05:40:53 PM »

Yeah, the more you say it doesn't make it true.

For having a stroke 5 months ago, he sounds pretty damn good here.

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies