COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:22:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 554052 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9275 on: January 18, 2022, 09:45:34 AM »

While I think the restrictions are an overreach at this point, the vaccine was never going to move the country beyond the pandemic when you still have 30-50 million people who refuse to get vaccinated, which is driving the hospitalization rates.

My 67 year old mother was exposed to an omicron-positive person over the weekend.

My mom was hesitant to get her 2nd shot, but finally got it on December 22nd.

Since it was only 3 weeks ago she got her second shot, shouldn’t she in theory be more likely to have an effective vaccine response if she ended up getting the virus compared to someone who got their 2nd shot months ago?

I’m a bit concerned, but I think the studies show that vaccines work better against amicron if infection happens closer to the time you got your shot.

She is not overweight and is in good health, by the way.

Even if they were a month apart, it's still more protection than being unvaccinated, and if I recall, the main reason for the booster doses in the first place is because immunity wanes, and most people are 6-12 months past their second dose by now, if that's of any help.

In a way, you're correct, although as I've noted, we've seen viral surges and restrictions in countries that have much higher vaccination rates than the United States. I recall reading about Singapore, which has one of the highest vaccination rates on the planet, and yet hasn't returned to a mode of normalcy. That's why I'm not convinced we're going to see the lifting of virtually all restrictions even if the vaccination rate increases further, and even if rates are high.
Yeah we've had strip limits of 5 people social gatherings basicaly this entire pandemic and we're at around 95% vaccinated with 50% boostered.

And in Germany and France, they've had strict mask and vaccine mandates, along with vaccine passports, in force or coming into force. There is no logic for countries that have vaccination rates of 80-90% or more maintaining such restrictions.

Germany's vaccination rate is 73% though.

I was referring to Singapore.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9276 on: January 18, 2022, 09:59:14 AM »

While I think the restrictions are an overreach at this point, the vaccine was never going to move the country beyond the pandemic when you still have 30-50 million people who refuse to get vaccinated, which is driving the hospitalization rates.

My 67 year old mother was exposed to an omicron-positive person over the weekend.

Since it was only 3 weeks ago she got her second shot, shouldn’t she in theory be more likely to have an effective vaccine response if she ended up getting the virus compared to someone who got their 2nd shot months ago?

I’m a bit concerned, but I think the studies show that vaccines work better against amicron if infection happens closer to the time you got your shot.

Even if they were a month apart, it's still more protection than being unvaccinated, and if I recall, the main reason for the booster doses in the first place is because immunity wanes, and most people are 6-12 months past their second dose by now, if that's of any help.

In a way, you're correct, although as I've noted, we've seen viral surges and restrictions in countries that have much higher vaccination rates than the United States. I recall reading about Singapore, which has one of the highest vaccination rates on the planet, and yet hasn't returned to a mode of normalcy. That's why I'm not convinced we're going to see the lifting of virtually all restrictions even if the vaccination rate increases further, and even if rates are high.
Yeah we've had strip limits of 5 people social gatherings basicaly this entire pandemic and we're at around 95% vaccinated with 50% boostered.

And in Germany and France, they've had strict mask and vaccine mandates, along with vaccine passports, in force or coming into force. There is no logic for countries that have vaccination rates of 80-90% or more maintaining such restrictions.

Ah, okay... well, it does seem a bit excessive that Singapore tries to curtail social gatherings to five people max. when Germany does the same with ten people at significantly lower vaccination rates. Then again, that's Singapore for you... they're probably also much stricter at enforcement I gather.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9277 on: January 18, 2022, 10:00:45 AM »

Ah, okay... well, it does seem a bit excessive that Singapore tries to curtail social gatherings to five people max. when Germany does the same with ten people at significantly lower vaccination rates. Then again, that's Singapore for you... they're probably also much stricter at enforcement I gather.

Singapore exemplifies why I'm highly skeptical all restrictions will go away after the pandemic is over. It's becoming even clearer to me that some of these measures will be permanent.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9278 on: January 18, 2022, 10:44:02 AM »

Singapore exemplifies why I'm highly skeptical all restrictions will go away after the pandemic is over. It's becoming even clearer to me that some of these measures will be permanent.

IMO, politicians don't do COVID restrictions for "no reason". Okay, some East Asian countries may differ for cultural reasons, I dunno. Things are already way less strict than they had been exactly one year ago and a year from now there will be even less left of it, if anything at all. I mean, I had the very distinct impression during the last couple of weeks that everything my government is doing right now is to smooth the transition from pandemic to endemic and that's basically it. Slowing down the infection rate of Omicron a bit, so not everybody is getting it at the same time, but stretched out over the next three, four months, especially because you can't have all the police, firefighters, hospital personnel, and bus drivers being struck down by COVID all at the same time (in Berlin, public transportation is planning to scale back the bus routes starting tomorrow, simply because they have begun to run out of bus drivers who aren't sick at the moment).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9279 on: January 18, 2022, 10:51:27 AM »

IMO, politicians don't do COVID restrictions for "no reason". Okay, some East Asian countries may differ for cultural reasons, I dunno. Things are already way less strict than they had been exactly one year ago and a year from now there will be even less left of it, if anything at all. I mean, I had the very distinct impression during the last couple of weeks that everything my government is doing right now is to smooth the transition from pandemic to endemic and that's basically it. Slowing down the infection rate of Omicron a bit, so not everybody is getting it at the same time, but stretched out over the next three, four months, especially because you can't have all the police, firefighters, hospital personnel, and bus drivers being struck down by COVID all at the same time (in Berlin, public transportation is planning to scale back the bus routes starting tomorrow, simply because they have begun to run out of bus drivers who aren't sick at the moment).

There's going to be some permanent changes, I'm sure of it. Life is never going to fully return to the conditions of 2019.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9280 on: January 18, 2022, 11:00:08 AM »

There's going to be some permanent changes, I'm sure of it. Life is never going to fully return to the conditions of 2019.

Well, life is change. It's unrealistic to expect that everything stays always the same, especially with an almost earth-shattering event like a global pandemic. After WWII there was also no going back to a pre-WWII world. That's how history works. But I expect that I can generally live my life as I did before. Most changes will not come from the government anyway, but from the people, as I already noticed for the past two years when friendships have changed/ended/begun because everybody has developed differing levels of concern and caution, and you start to look for COVID compatibility.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9281 on: January 18, 2022, 11:01:48 AM »

Well, life is change. It's unrealistic to expect that everything stays always the same, especially with an almost earth-shattering event like a global pandemic. After WWII there was also no going back to a pre-WWII world. That's how history works. But I expect that I can generally live my life as I did before. Most changes will not come from the government anyway, but from the people, as I already noticed for the past two years when friendships have changed/ended/begun because everybody has developed differing levels of concern and caution, and you start to look for COVID compatibility.

Life is change, which is true. But I'm not looking forward to the permanent changes that this pandemic is bringing about.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9282 on: January 18, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »

Life is change, which is true. But I'm not looking forward to the permanent changes that this pandemic is bringing about.

This is the new 9/11.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9283 on: January 18, 2022, 12:26:28 PM »

COVID update, day 9 of symptoms (day 12 after contraction).  No more nausea or headaches but I've had this stuffiness in my head the entire time that doesn't really go away.  Still coughing a lot, lost my sense of smell yesterday.  From what I've heard, the coughing takes a couple weeks to go away, and it could be a month or two before I get to use my nose again.  Seems like my case is pretty heavy, so it's a very good thing I was fully vaxxed and boosted or I could have had it a lot worse.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9284 on: January 18, 2022, 04:18:40 PM »

This is the new 9/11.

THG has said something similarly. And I have increasingly come to believe that such will be the case. I fully expect for the TSA to extend the federal mask mandate when it is up for renewal, and I fully expect for many elements of the "Covid regime", such as quarantines and mass testing, to become the norm even after the pandemic is declared over. We're going to have relics of this, just like we still have relics of 9/11.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9285 on: January 18, 2022, 07:59:16 PM »

Tested positive for covid this weekend, it was very mild (felt like a weak cold) so I think it was Omicron. I am double vaccinated but no booster for more context.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9286 on: January 18, 2022, 08:13:24 PM »

I ordered my free tests. Took less than a minute.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9287 on: January 18, 2022, 08:42:59 PM »

Tested positive for covid this weekend, it was very mild (felt like a weak cold) so I think it was Omicron. I am double vaccinated but no booster for more context.

I was boosted and am getting over a sinus infection. I have many of them, so I didn’t think much of it. Could it of been COVID? Just a lot of sinus pressure and mucus.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9288 on: January 18, 2022, 08:45:39 PM »

This is the new 9/11.

THG has said something similarly. And I have increasingly come to believe that such will be the case. I fully expect for the TSA to extend the federal mask mandate when it is up for renewal, and I fully expect for many elements of the "Covid regime", such as quarantines and mass testing, to become the norm even after the pandemic is declared over. We're going to have relics of this, just like we still have relics of 9/11.

The ironic thing is that Republicans will campaign against it only to eventually be outflanked by social liberals once those Republicans get into power. It will be a repeat of how the Howard Dean Democrats were replaced by the Obama Democrats. Even though they were 95% of the same people, circumstances change people.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9289 on: January 19, 2022, 05:33:48 AM »

I was boosted and am getting over a sinus infection. I have many of them, so I didn’t think much of it. Could it of been COVID? Just a lot of sinus pressure and mucus.

That’s what I had a week or so ago but tested negative.  And I never get sinus issues this time of year.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9290 on: January 19, 2022, 05:43:37 AM »

This is the new 9/11.

I sincerely doubt that as soon COVID has become fully endemic like the flu people would still be willing to quarantine themselves (or that politicians would be willing to implement such policies for that matter). I mean I know people - and personally I share their fears in that regard - who are terribly afraid of catching COVID simply because they're single and live alone and can't imagine to stay on their own at home for a week or longer without getting crazy. And these are people who are supporting most of the restrictions for the moment.

IMO fears that quarantines become "permanent" are unfounded. Quarantine periods are already increasingly shortened as it stands now. I get it that you consider COVID measures to be a pain in the ass. Pretty much everybody does, even those who consider them necessary for the time being. But exactly because everybody considers them a pain in the ass is why they will be gone eventually.

But of course this whole discussion is a bit moot... we're discussing what we expect or fear to happen at indeterminate points in the future. Since we don't know the future there's not much substance to back up arguments either way. This is about beliefs, not facts.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9291 on: January 19, 2022, 06:34:48 AM »

This is the new 9/11.

I sincerely doubt that as soon COVID has become fully endemic like the flu people would still be willing to quarantine themselves (or that politicians would be willing to implement such policies for that matter). I mean I know people - and personally I share their fears in that regard - who are terribly afraid of catching COVID simply because they're single and live alone and can't imagine to stay on their own at home for a week or longer without getting crazy. And these are people who are supporting most of the restrictions for the moment.

IMO fears that quarantines become "permanent" are unfounded. Quarantine periods are already increasingly shortened as it stands now. I get it that you consider COVID measures to be a pain in the ass. Pretty much everybody does, even those who consider them necessary for the time being. But exactly because everybody considers them a pain in the ass is why they will be gone eventually.

But of course this whole discussion is a bit moot... we're discussing what we expect or fear to happen at indeterminate points in the future. Since we don't know the future there's not much substance to back up arguments either way. This is about beliefs, not facts.

You seem to be of the belief that we're going to have an almost entirely complete return to normalcy once this is over. I still am not sure that will be of the case. You're right that we can only speculate on what will happen, but given what's transpired to this point, I remain cautious and skeptical. I'm not going to be convinced otherwise unless things are actually loosened up and for good this time.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9292 on: January 19, 2022, 07:15:54 AM »

This is the new 9/11.

You seem to be of the belief that we're going to have an almost entirely complete return to normalcy once this is over. I still am not sure that will be of the case. You're right that we can only speculate on what will happen, but given what's transpired to this point, I remain cautious and skeptical. I'm not going to be convinced otherwise unless things are actually loosened up and for good this time.

Maybe another point - that is based on facts - regarding your belief that quarantine rules will remain in place even after the pandemic. I think that's logically impossible. With the infection rates we've got now, quarantine rules are already loosened because otherwise infrastructure couldn't be maintained any longer. As soon as a full endemic state is reached I assume seven-day incidences of 10,000 or much more will become the norm. And at the end of the time you can't place half the country under quarantine, especially on a semi-permanent basis. Society would break down. You seem to underestimate the usual prevelance of the common cold and the flu and that we'll  getting there too with regards to COVID once there's a true endemic state.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9293 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:42 PM »

Video: 5-year-old does all this after school to protect her siblings from Covid-19.

Click here to watch ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/health/2022/01/19/parents-back-to-school-omicron-covid-19-concerns-orig-llr-mss.cnn

Smiley
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9294 on: January 19, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »

It's just maddening to me that so many people have had their minds "screwed up" by this pandemic and the response to it.

A lot of this was caused by TV.

True. My stepmother loves to watch TV, particularly programs such as The View, the CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell, and ABC World News Tonight with David Muir. And these programs (the Evening News programs in particular), tend to highlight the most depressing and heartbreaking aspects of the pandemic, with regards to severe outlier cases of COVID, hospitalizations, and of course deaths. They bring on Dr. Fauci, Dr. Walensky, Dr. Murthy, and other public health experts frequently. It's not wrong to consult them, but these individuals certainly aren't the best messengers and haven't been the most consistent.

Yeah, I’ve found it best not to watch the nightly news, tbh. I thought this before Covid too. Seems like it’s just “So and so got shot in (bad neighborhood)” and “Bad car crash on dangerous section of road” or if you’re looking at a wider scale, “School shooting in (random suburb that no one has ever heard of)” or “Natural disaster in (third world country)”.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9295 on: January 19, 2022, 04:29:00 PM »

OK, this is funny:

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #9296 on: January 19, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »

It's just maddening to me that so many people have had their minds "screwed up" by this pandemic and the response to it.

A lot of this was caused by TV.

True. My stepmother loves to watch TV, particularly programs such as The View, the CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell, and ABC World News Tonight with David Muir. And these programs (the Evening News programs in particular), tend to highlight the most depressing and heartbreaking aspects of the pandemic, with regards to severe outlier cases of COVID, hospitalizations, and of course deaths. They bring on Dr. Fauci, Dr. Walensky, Dr. Murthy, and other public health experts frequently. It's not wrong to consult them, but these individuals certainly aren't the best messengers and haven't been the most consistent.
CNN does that a lot as well at least in particular on programs hosted by Don Lemon, Poppy Harlow, Brianna Keilar, Brian Seltzer, Kaitlin Collins, SE Cupp, and Kate Baldwin.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9297 on: January 19, 2022, 06:47:00 PM »

We need normalcy now!
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9298 on: January 19, 2022, 07:12:49 PM »

Today's quirky stylization of the Google logo is a call for people to wear masks. It doesn't affect me so I'm not complaining, but it seems to fit in with the growing institutional push for re-embrace masking these days.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9299 on: January 19, 2022, 07:17:24 PM »

That's exactly what I thought on every day between November 9, 2016 and November 4, 2020.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies