COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:59:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 332 333 334 [335] 336 337 338 339 340 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552984 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8350 on: December 22, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »

A bizarre data point out of South Africa

Whites in the country have a higher death rate than blacks, despite the wealth and income and healthcare access gap being extreme.

Wonder what explains this?

Are whites in SA an older cohort?

Yes.  From Wikipedia:

In South Africa, the Black African population is spread out, with 34.0% under the age of 15, 21.6% from 15 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 11.8% from 45 to 64 and 4.3% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age of an Black African is 21 years.
In South Africa, the White population is spread out, with 19.0% under the age of 15, 15.1% from 15 to 24, 31.0% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.1% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age of a White is 35 years.

I would also expect that the lower level of healthcare access would lead to an underreporting of black deaths from covid.

In the US, the pandemic has gotten increasingly whiter as it's gone along.  I wouldn't quite call it a Klandemic at this point but it's getting there.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8351 on: December 22, 2021, 02:42:23 PM »

There was never a reason to “distrust” South African data that for weeks has been showing a milder wave.

People think SA is some third world failed state, when it’s really this:

Does this scene look any different than america to you?

https://youtu.be/MTH19S-P3sA
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8352 on: December 22, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »

There was never a reason to “distrust” South African data that for weeks has been showing a milder wave.

People think SA is some third world failed state, when it’s really this:

Does this scene look any different than america to you?

https://youtu.be/MTH19S-P3sA

It's just doomers and forever restrictions types getting off on the prospect of another scary new variant without stopping to consider that it really might be milder.

I trust South Africa a lot more than I trust China.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8353 on: December 22, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »

Did you know that if you ask a public health goon if "racism is a public health crisis" and then ask them if South African data can be trusted their brain will explode like a robot trying to process a logical paradox?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #8354 on: December 22, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »

I can't help wonder what all these doomer epidemiologists were doing before March 2020.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8355 on: December 22, 2021, 03:25:18 PM »

Less severe? Quantitative evidence, please.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #8356 on: December 22, 2021, 03:31:13 PM »

Very good news.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8357 on: December 22, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »

The above graphic is promising but I’d also urge caution until a few more weeks have passed so we can see a clear indication of fewer deaths.

Deaths lag.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8358 on: December 22, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »

The above graphic is promising but I’d also urge caution until a few more weeks have passed so we can see a clear indication of fewer deaths.

Deaths lag.

Deaths lag by about two weeks. It has been four.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8359 on: December 22, 2021, 04:00:09 PM »

This article is from last week, but it seems no one has posted it here yet:

Fewer Americans Support Mask, Vaccine Mandates Ahead of Holiday Gatherings, Poll Finds

American support for face masks and vaccine mandates has declined in the weeks leading up to the holidays, when many plan to travel home and gather indoor with loved ones despite the ongoing pandemic.

A new poll released by Monmouth University on Wednesday found that support for statewide mask orders and social distancing guidelines has decreased to 55 percent this month, compared with September's 63 percent during the spread of the Delta variant.

The poll also saw a decline in support for vaccine mandates in offices and other public spaces where people congregate, falling from 53 percent in September to a minority of Americans now. Only 46 percent of those polled between December 2 and December 6 said they still back the requiring of proof of vaccination status.

As fears over the Delta variant have fallen and growing concern over the Omicron variant takes over, the survey also found that Americans on both sides of the aisle are quickly becoming fatigued by new variants and fluctuating health guidelines.

Six in ten Americans say they feel worn out by pandemic-related changes they've had to make to their daily lives, with 64 percent of Republicans and 63 percent of Democrats saying they feel at least a little worn out by the coronavirus.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8360 on: December 22, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »

There's not enough data for a serious answer as of now. I heard from studies that confirm this, though others say these are flawed or just not representative.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8361 on: December 22, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »

Deaths lag.

Cases are also rapidly declining in South Africa. We would have known if hospitals were overwhelmed and people were dying in the streets like India in April.

It's like people are deliberately avoiding good news.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8362 on: December 22, 2021, 04:08:36 PM »

Deaths lag.

Cases are also rapidly declining in South Africa. We would have known if hospitals were overwhelmed and people were dying in the streets like India in April.

I'm convinced there is a segment of society (not Trump virus necessarily) who preferred living in COVID mode. They actually enjoyed the isolation and staying at home, they want the "new normal" to continue forever. These are the types of people who are fine with eternal masking but won't get vaccinated or don't think the vaccines are effective. They are incredibly misanthropic, and a bigger threat than the Trumpers who won't vax or mask. At least the latter group is out of COVID mode
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8363 on: December 22, 2021, 04:21:03 PM »

Deaths lag.

The problem is that the media, public health officials, and politicians are not treating Omicron as if it were a mild variant. They are acting as if it is a grave new threat that demands caution on the part of the populace.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8364 on: December 22, 2021, 04:45:31 PM »

Gee, I wonder what else it could be...
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #8365 on: December 22, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »

other from a italian professor on british studies

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fcattiviscienziati%2Fposts%2F437039017980143&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="529" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8366 on: December 22, 2021, 06:06:01 PM »

There is. Very bad testing. In west "true" cases estimated being underreported by 2-5 times. In South Africa by ~20 times.

Immune people usually get mild, if any symptoms, and 90% are "naturally" immune in SA because of Delta wave.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8367 on: December 22, 2021, 07:52:46 PM »

Deaths lag.

I'm convinced there is a segment of society (not Trump virus necessarily) who preferred living in COVID mode. They actually enjoyed the isolation and staying at home, they want the "new normal" to continue forever. These are the types of people who are fine with eternal masking but won't get vaccinated or don't think the vaccines are effective. They are incredibly misanthropic, and a bigger threat than the Trumpers who won't vax or mask. At least the latter group is out of COVID mode

I know you stated you weren't speaking of me necessarily, but I just want to point out that I have absolutely abhorred daily life over the last 2 years.  I want no more part of a covid-world.  I have slowly started to put away the mask (in certain situations) and I don't do social distancing anymore.  Having said that, I am still a nervous wreck about covid (and concerned about omicron) and I intend to wait and see how things go with the supposed upcoming wave.

EDIT: I meant to add also....I don't think it's unreasonable to approach new variants with an abundance of caution.  If covid has taught us anything, it's to expect the unexpected.  That's the approach I'm going with until things ultimately settle down (which I'm aware may be a while).  I'm not pushing that on others...they can feel free to do whatever they want.  But that's how I need to act in order to keep my own sanity over germs and sh**t.
compucomp

« Reply #8368 on: December 22, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »

Deaths lag.

Only on this forum could someone make a serious post declarnig that responsible people, who want to keep themselves and people they care about safe from COVID-19, and whose greatest sin is minimizing their time in public, are a "bigger threat" than a bunch of numbskulls who willfully spread a deadly disease around and who stormed the Capitol in an attempt to overthrow the government. What, are you a restaurant owner salty about the people who cancelled their holiday party reservations?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8369 on: December 22, 2021, 08:15:40 PM »

Deaths lag.

Only on this forum could someone make a serious post declarnig that responsible people, who want to keep themselves and people they care about safe from COVID-19, and whose greatest sin is minimizing their time in public, are a "bigger threat" than a bunch of numbskulls who willfully spread a deadly disease around and who stormed the Capitol in an attempt to overthrow the government. What, are you a restaurant owner salty about the people who cancelled their holiday party reservations?

Just go hook yourself up to the metaverse already. Leave the 99% of us who still value sharing pheremones and seeing faces alone.
compucomp

« Reply #8370 on: December 22, 2021, 08:20:06 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2021, 08:25:51 PM by compucomp »

Deaths lag.

Just go hook yourself up to the metaverse already. Leave the 99% of us who still value sharing pheremones and seeing faces alone.

I understand you don't care that you're playing Russian roulette repeatedly for the rest of your life, given that you're going to catch COVID-19 approximately once every 6-12 months if you don't bother to protect yourself. But the virus is ridiculously contagious and vaccines don't provide anything close to sterilizing immunity. Your rights end when they infringe on mine, and I have the right to safe public spaces just the same as you. You don't get to spread noxious fumes in public indoor spaces just because you couldn't be bothered to put on a 5c mask that doesn't interfere with anything you want to do.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8371 on: December 22, 2021, 08:20:26 PM »

Supreme Court schedules January 7 oral arguments in challenges to Biden vaccine mandates

The Supreme Court said Wednesday it is scheduling oral arguments for January 7 in the cases challenging the Biden administration's Covid-19 vaccine requirements for large employers and certain health care workers.

The arguments were scheduled after Supreme Court Justices Samuel Alito and Brett Kavanaugh were asked to intervene in lower court disputes over the mandates. Kavanaugh had been asked by challengers to the employer mandate to reverse an appeals court ruling that said the administration could enforce its vaccine-or-testing rules for large companies.

Kavanaugh and Alito had separately been asked by the Justice Department to reverse appeals court orders against the health care worker requirement, which applies to health care staff at providers that participate in Medicare and Medicaid. The appeals court orders have left the mandate frozen in about half the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22/politics/biden-vaccine-mandate-oral-arguments-supreme-court/index.html
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8372 on: December 22, 2021, 08:54:57 PM »

Please get vaccinated! I really do think I would be in the hospital about to die if I didn't get the vaccine.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8373 on: December 22, 2021, 09:14:50 PM »

Please get vaccinated! I really do think I would be in the hospital about to die if I didn't get the vaccine.

Jimmie, I'm glad you're OK, but wow and you had Omicron too.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8374 on: December 22, 2021, 09:18:29 PM »

What are you symptoms?

Which vaccine did you get?

Which booster did you get and how long has it been?
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 332 333 334 [335] 336 337 338 339 340 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies