COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:50:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 300 301 [302] 303 304 305 306 307 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552513 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7525 on: November 22, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »

FDA authorizes Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna coronavirus vaccine boosters for all adults

The US Food and Drug Administration on Friday authorized boosters of the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines for all adults, the companies said.

The agency expanded emergency use authorization for booster doses of both the mRNA vaccines beyond who was eligible previously; boosters had been authorized for anyone 65 and older who was vaccinated with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines at least six months ago and for certain adults at high risk of infection or of severe disease.

Pfizer and BioNTech requested authorization last week based on results of a Phase 3 trial involving more than 10,000 participants; it found boosters were safe and had an efficacy of 95% against symptomatic Covid-19 compared with the two-dose vaccine schedule in the period when the highly transmissible Delta was the dominant strain. Pfizer released the booster efficacy data last month; it has not yet been peer-reviewed or published.

Moderna requested authorization of its 50-microgram booster dose for all adults on Wednesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/19/health/covid-vaccine-boosters-fda-cdc/

If you didn't get a booster because you were healthy in a low risk job and under 65, well now you can!

This is great news. Boosters for all should have been the decision from the beginning. This is especially true now looking at the ongoing train wreck in Europe, where countries are seeing record cases and full hospitals despite high vaccination rates. I think that waning immunity is definitely playing a part in that, especially of Pfizer as Moderna is nonexistent over there, and the same could be a problem in the US too since the general population got their vaccines in April and May so now would be when the effectiveness starts to wane.

Yes, when I get booster 2 this coming February, I am going to switch over to Moderna. Pfizer seems to be an inferior product as to efficacy. And now "the science" suggests that you get more protection with the switchover.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7526 on: November 22, 2021, 02:39:39 PM »

Yes, when I get booster 2 this coming February, I am going to switch over to Moderna. Pfizer seems to be an inferior product as to efficacy. And now "the science" suggests that you get more protection with the switchover.

Note the Moderna booster is half dose though. Pfizer is the full dose.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #7527 on: November 22, 2021, 02:55:18 PM »

Remote learning once a week sounds ok.
As a kid no it doesn’t
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7528 on: November 22, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »

Well, it now seems that break through cases are are killing with ruthless efficiency. 28% of the the hospital admissions are break through cases in Michigan, as are 24% of the deaths. So now, the issue is whether I need to cancel our thanksgiving plans. One of the celebrants has not had a booster shot, and I don't know how long it has been since she had her jabs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/22/covid-surge-winter-523109
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #7529 on: November 22, 2021, 09:00:48 PM »

Well, it now seems that break through cases are are killing with ruthless efficiency. 28% of the the hospital admissions are break through cases in Michigan, as are 24% of the deaths. So now, the issue is whether I need to cancel our thanksgiving plans. One of the celebrants has not had a booster shot, and I don't know how long it has been since she had her jabs.

Lol
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #7530 on: November 22, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »

Got Moderna boosted today.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7531 on: November 23, 2021, 05:47:55 AM »

Lol

Why are you lol’ing?

Roll Eyes
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7532 on: November 23, 2021, 07:56:58 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7533 on: November 23, 2021, 08:18:48 AM »

No, don't worry.  You need to look at the base rate.  If a large fraction of the population is vaccinated, then a significant portion of the hopitalizations/deaths will be among those vaccinated -- even though the hosp./death rate within the vaccinated group is much lower than among the unvaccinated.  Here's a great visualization of this:

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7534 on: November 23, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »

I got my flu shot yesterday. I do not want to go to the hospital for the flu with COVID-19 patients putting me at risk.

(That's not as exciting as getting the booster, but I got my booster about two weeks ago, anyway.

Death to COVID-19! 
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #7535 on: November 23, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »

I read someone where that the Moderna booster still provides better protection than the Pfizer booster.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7536 on: November 23, 2021, 04:51:57 PM »

Half dose of Moderna is still more potent than a full dose of Pfizer, given Pfizer's is 30% of Moderna.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7537 on: November 23, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »

Half dose of Moderna is still more potent than a full dose of Pfizer, given Pfizer's is 30% of Moderna.

I continue to be baffled by why Pfizer has been so favored by our government, considering that Moderna is a more effective vaccine than theirs.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7538 on: November 23, 2021, 05:47:13 PM »

I continue to be baffled by why Pfizer has been so favored by our government, considering that Moderna is a more effective vaccine than theirs.

Pfizer has less side effects and was first. It's a good vaccine. Pfizer is also an established company with an extensive manufacture and partner network vs Moderna which was essentially a biotech stock thats projects hundreds of billions in future revenue in their space with MRNA cures and vaccines, Covid-19 vaccine for Moderna is an amazing proof of concept for their tech but also a pain in the butt because they don't want to give up their IP.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7539 on: November 23, 2021, 08:09:23 PM »

No, don't worry.  You need to look at the base rate.  If a large fraction of the population is vaccinated, then a significant portion of the hopitalizations/deaths will be among those vaccinated -- even though the hosp./death rate within the vaccinated group is much lower than among the unvaccinated.  Here's a great visualization of this:

Another factor here is that people who are most likely to significant breakthrough cases the more vulnerable populations in general--elderly an immunocompromised--also have the highest vaccination rates, which is inflating the numbers of breakthrough hospitalizations.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7540 on: November 23, 2021, 09:12:04 PM »

Pfizer has less side effects and was first. It's a good vaccine. Pfizer is also an established company with an extensive manufacture and partner network vs Moderna which was essentially a biotech stock thats projects hundreds of billions in future revenue in their space with MRNA cures and vaccines, Covid-19 vaccine for Moderna is an amazing proof of concept for their tech but also a pain in the butt because they don't want to give up their IP.

This is certainly illuminating. I'm not casting aspersions on the efficacy of Pfizer, but I do believe that Moderna is a more effective vaccine on balance. But this also further reinforces my point. Pfizer has the clout and connections to command government resources, and that explains why it has received preferential treatment.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7541 on: November 23, 2021, 11:47:59 PM »

As reported to the CDC, Covid deaths for 2021 have exceeded Covid deaths for 2020--of course Covid deaths were likely undercounted in 2020. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Overall deaths in 2020 increased by 533,000 with 385,000 deemed Covid related.  I'd guess deaths this year will increase about 25,000 over 2020 (+/- 25,000)  with Covid deaths at 425,000.  Probably still an undercount.

Of course, the worst month of the pandemic was January 2021 with 105,000.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7542 on: November 23, 2021, 11:49:41 PM »

My booster i choose moderna.

Pfizer was ny first and second
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7543 on: November 23, 2021, 11:51:27 PM »

The past few days, the U.S. has had a very slight drop in new cases. New cases are the lowest in nearly a week.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7544 on: November 24, 2021, 02:06:40 AM »

My booster i choose moderna.

Pfizer was ny first and second

Did the side effects differ any? I'm due for mine in January.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7545 on: November 24, 2021, 08:51:26 AM »

Well my Moderna boster side effects were very different (a lot worse) than the other shots, which were also Moderna.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7546 on: November 24, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »

This is certainly illuminating. I'm not casting aspersions on the efficacy of Pfizer, but I do believe that Moderna is a more effective vaccine on balance. But this also further reinforces my point. Pfizer has the clout and connections to command government resources, and that explains why it has received preferential treatment.

What do you have in mind, when you say that Pfizer "received preferential treatment" from the Government?

Moreover, while Pfizer-induced immunity after 2 shots vanes faster than Moderna's, I haven't read anything that indicates that Pfizer's booster is worse (or better) than Moderna's. Anyone has a source?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7547 on: November 24, 2021, 09:54:32 AM »

What do you have in mind, when you say that Pfizer "received preferential treatment" from the Government?

Moreover, while Pfizer-induced immunity after 2 shots vanes faster than Moderna's, I haven't read anything that indicates that Pfizer's booster is worse (or better) than Moderna's. Anyone has a source?

By "preferential treatment", I mean that Pfizer has been first in line for everything. They were the first to receive emergency authorization, the first to receive full approval, the first to receive authorization for those under 18, and the first to receive authorization for booster shots.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #7548 on: November 24, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »

Maybe they just are the fastest with development, doing studies, and filing paperwork beause of, well...being an experienced agent in this field?
compucomp

« Reply #7549 on: November 24, 2021, 11:20:59 AM »

Republicans are now starting to blame Biden for failing to end the pandemic. This is both nonsensical and hypocritical given that they are disproportionately vaccine resistant and fiercely opposed to any mitigation measure, but I'd expect to see this gain traction, simply because everything bad is blamed on the President.

Over eight hours last Thursday night and into Friday morning, Representative Kevin McCarthy of California hit on many issues as he spoke on the House floor in an unsuccessful effort to thwart House passage of President Biden’s social safety net and climate change bill. But among his most audacious assertions was that Mr. Biden was to blame for the country’s failure to quell the pandemic.

Mr. McCarthy used this line of attack even as members of his own Republican Party have spent months flouting mask ordinances and blocking the president’s vaccine mandates, and the party’s base has undermined vaccination drives while rallying around those who refuse the vaccine. Intensive care units and morgues have been strained to capacity by the unvaccinated, a demographic dominated by those who voted last year for President Donald J. Trump.

As of mid-September, 90 percent of adult Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 58 percent of adult Republicans.

Yet Mr. McCarthy, the House Republican leader, pressed his point: “I took President Biden at his word; I took him at his word when he said he was going to get Covid under control,” he declared in the dead of night. “Unfortunately, more Americans have died this year than last year under Covid.”

As cases surge once again in some parts of the country, Republicans have hit on a new line of attack: The president has failed on a central campaign promise, to tame the pandemic that his predecessor systematically downplayed. Democrats are incredulous, dismissing the strategy as another strand of spaghetti thrown at the wall.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 300 301 [302] 303 304 305 306 307 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies