COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:53:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 [298] 299 300 301 302 303 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552823 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7425 on: November 10, 2021, 12:02:35 AM »

The rate of increase in cases last fall and winter peaked right about this time last year, incidentally. Right now, we're not nearly as bad as we were a year ago.

The peak was in January.

The peak of the actual numbers was in January, but the peak of the rate it was increasing was in November.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7426 on: November 10, 2021, 12:07:50 AM »

As I've said before, some people will wear masks in public permanently, and in some jurisdictions and contexts, mask mandates will be permanent.
Permanent? I can see it stay on for a couple more months max before people just start ignoring it

Just a few weeks ago, I went on a road trip that included Illinois and New Mexico, which still have mask mandates. At restaurants I used in southern Illinois, everyone did indeed ignore it. At some businesses in New Mexico, most people ignored it too. The big exception though was a supermarket in Los Alamos, which was a disaster.

But there are some places even in my area where people still haven't gotten it through their thick skulls that it's not March 2020 anymore. I'm thinking of schools and healthcare businesses mostly.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7427 on: November 10, 2021, 12:14:04 AM »

As I've said before, some people will wear masks in public permanently, and in some jurisdictions and contexts, mask mandates will be permanent.
Mandates shouldn’t be permanent. I would argue they are unnecessary in most of the US given our current numbers. If things change, my stance would change but for now I think it should be a personal and business decision.

Some 'contexts' makes sense, it should be a norm at least for a long time for people to mask up in hospitals, nursing homes, places like that. I'd accept that in certain settings where it wouldn't be that inconvenient but there is a high transmission risk, eg public transport or even just some flights, masking is also a good idea. People should be a bit more careful than they were in 2019, not just against Covid but against infectious diseases generally, eg it should be encouraged more to stay home when you're sick.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7428 on: November 10, 2021, 12:14:29 AM »

The rate of increase in cases last fall and winter peaked right about this time last year, incidentally. Right now, we're not nearly as bad as we were a year ago.

The peak was in January.

The peak of the actual numbers was in January, but the peak of the rate it was increasing was in November.

Ok but then that implies the worst is yet to come, not that we're already past it.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7429 on: November 10, 2021, 05:32:04 AM »

Article clearly states that rates are flat in heavily vaccinated areas. More COVID scaremongering from the sensationalist msm.

Yes, but the article is from sensationalist LA Times, not MSM (they only re-published it). Credit where credit is due.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-11-09/covid-19-hospitalizations-rising-in-parts-of-california-a-potentially-ominous-sign

The peak was in January.

The summer's peak rate this year was "postponed" compared to last year? No idea, though, if it was just by chance, or by some weather-to-behavior related reasons. No idea, if it means, the fall peak rate might be "postponed" as well, either.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7430 on: November 10, 2021, 08:48:13 AM »

Article clearly states that rates are flat in heavily vaccinated areas. More COVID scaremongering from the sensationalist msm.

Yes, but the article is from sensationalist LA Times, not MSM (they only re-published it). Credit where credit is due.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-11-09/covid-19-hospitalizations-rising-in-parts-of-california-a-potentially-ominous-sign

The peak was in January.

The summer's peak rate this year was "postponed" compared to last year? No idea, though, if it was just by chance, or by some weather-to-behavior related reasons. No idea, if it means, the fall peak rate might be "postponed" as well, either.

If anything, Fall probably came sooner this year than last. The tropics went from super active to dead that last week of September.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7431 on: November 10, 2021, 08:49:32 AM »

You’d be a fool to not expect a heavy increase in cases. What really matters now is hospital overload.
As for mask wearing?
I wish Americans were responsible humans, but they aren’t, and I have learned I can’t expect them to act civilized and a mandate is probably unrealistic at this point.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7432 on: November 10, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »

You’d be a fool to not expect a heavy increase in cases. What really matters now is hospital overload.
As for mask wearing?
I wish Americans were responsible humans, but they aren’t, and I have learned I can’t expect them to act civilized and a mandate is probably unrealistic at this point.

Refuse to accept unvaccinated COVID patients. It's not because we hate those people, its only that we can't treat them AND everyone else AND they failed to mitigate as a class of people.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7433 on: November 10, 2021, 08:56:36 AM »

As for mask wearing?

Refuse to accept unvaccinated COVID patients. It's not because we hate those people, its only that we can't treat them AND everyone else AND they failed to mitigate as a class of people.
I would be on board with that, but the political backlash would be horrid. I would enjoy it though.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7434 on: November 11, 2021, 08:52:35 PM »

Here's an updated map of the 14-day trend by state. 10% increments starting at zero (so, 30% = 1-9% growth/decrease, 40% = 10-19% growth/decrease, etc.). The NH numbers are probably artificially high right now because of gaps in reporting two weeks ago.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7435 on: November 12, 2021, 01:29:00 AM »

We're starting to see very few reliable reports of death by COVID-19 in some states now being ravaged. 
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7436 on: November 12, 2021, 04:13:01 AM »

US total deaths: 780,775

I thought earlier this year it would go to a million, but the mortality rate has signicantly decreased compared to the start of the pandemic.

At the start, it was closer to 2%. Now it appears to be 1.4-1.6% and falling.

Hopefully those Pfizer booster shots decrease that number further.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7437 on: November 12, 2021, 08:44:40 AM »

I'm getting my Moderna booster next Wednesday.  Kinda nervous, given I felt so sick with my second shot.

But it's better than getting covid.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7438 on: November 12, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »

I'm getting my Moderna booster next Wednesday.  Kinda nervous, given I felt so sick with my second shot.

If it makes you feel better, my mother felt sick with the second but nothing with her booster.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7439 on: November 12, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »

I thought earlier this year it would go to a million, but the mortality rate has signicantly decreased compared to the start of the pandemic.

People can get infected if inoculated, but they generally don't get as sick or have such lasting consequences.

Again, five good reasons to not risk COVID-19:

1. diabetes
2. organ damage
3. cognitive loss
4. sexual dysfunction
5. dying on a ventilator
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7440 on: November 12, 2021, 10:35:41 AM »

People can get infected if inoculated, but they generally don't get as sick or have such lasting consequences.

Again, five good reasons to not risk COVID-19:

1. diabetes
2. organ damage
3. cognitive loss
4. sexual dysfunction
5. dying on a ventilator
The fourth is not relevant for Atlas posters.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7441 on: November 12, 2021, 10:43:30 AM »

I got the booster about 3 days ago. I had a sore arm for the first two days, and that's it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7442 on: November 12, 2021, 03:52:28 PM »

House committee releases new evidence from investigation into Trump administration interference with CDC during Covid-19 pandemic.

The House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis released to CNN on Friday new evidence showing how US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials were pressured by Trump administration officials to alter scientific guidance and prevented from communicating directly with the public.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/12/politics/house-committee-cdc-covid-trump-administration-response/index.html

Click the link above to read more detail on this story.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7443 on: November 12, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »

NO MORE LOCKDOWNS!!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7444 on: November 13, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »

Who wants lockdowns?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7445 on: November 13, 2021, 11:27:19 AM »

Obviously the elitist media did.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7446 on: November 13, 2021, 11:34:16 AM »

Do they want lockdowns now?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7447 on: November 13, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »

I'm sure they do.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7448 on: November 13, 2021, 11:45:51 AM »

You’re sure? Do you know?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7449 on: November 13, 2021, 11:46:34 AM »

Certain people are certainly still cheerleading for, if not lockdowns, an increase in distancing measures and business restrictions. It usually takes the form of scaremongering articles that undermine vaccine confidence. But there's no political will to enforce it by any governor, nor would they be able to without massive protests that would dwarf anything in 2020.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 [298] 299 300 301 302 303 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies