CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:43:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 127695 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: July 23, 2021, 01:08:30 PM »

Elder is on. The judge didn't even think tax returns were necessary at all.
The statute is quite clear. It says tax returns are necessary to be on a *primary* ballot. Moreover, it is in a Division of the code that says "this does not apply to recall elections".

The statute requires a candidate to submit two sets of tax forms, one the original and one with redactions - including some redactions that must be made, and some that may be made.

If a candidate redacts too much, the SOS makes a copy of the original and redacts the required information.

Apparently, Elder redacted too little, and the SOS interpreted that as being non-compliant.

Hopefully, Weber will be sued for publishing individual tax forms while acting outside the law.

Haven't Republicans cost this state enough with the frivolous recall? Over $200 million already spent and now we have out of state interests advocating for the Secretary of State to be sued.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #776 on: July 23, 2021, 01:11:50 PM »

Does forum user jimrtex really qualify as an "out-of-state interests"? Especially interested in the use of the plural.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #777 on: July 24, 2021, 05:38:35 PM »

I saw a No on Recall ad and it features footage from the insurrection. It also frames the recall as a waste of money by Republicans and says they don't accept election results.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #778 on: July 24, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »

Elder is on. The judge didn't even think tax returns were necessary at all.
The statute is quite clear. It says tax returns are necessary to be on a *primary* ballot. Moreover, it is in a Division of the code that says "this does not apply to recall elections".

The statute requires a candidate to submit two sets of tax forms, one the original and one with redactions - including some redactions that must be made, and some that may be made.

If a candidate redacts too much, the SOS makes a copy of the original and redacts the required information.

Apparently, Elder redacted too little, and the SOS interpreted that as being non-compliant.

Hopefully, Weber will be sued for publishing individual tax forms while acting outside the law.

Haven't Republicans cost this state enough with the frivolous recall? Over $200 million already spent and now we have out of state interests advocating for the Secretary of State to be sued.

If you had your tax return published by a state agent wouldn't you sue?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #779 on: July 24, 2021, 08:15:06 PM »

I don't know why the legislature simply did not refuse to fund this recall based on the grounds that it is too expensive. If Republicans in GOP states can ignore Medicaid expansion that voted approved then California Democrats could have pulled the plug on the recall for fiscal reasons.
Old Man Brown and the Democrats changed the law in an attempt to delay the Josh Newman recall.

The Constitution simply says that when the Secretary of State certifies that there are enough signatures that the recall election will be held within X days.

The Democrats changed the law, requiring county election officials to report raw signature counts monthly, then verify on a delayed basis a month later. Once there were apparently enough signatures, there was a month for signers to rescind their signatures. Fortunately, the petitions are secret or the Democrats would have been hounding signers.

And then after the SOS had determined that there were enough signatures, a cost estimate would be made, and this would be sent to the legislature. Only then could the SOS "certify" what she had already determined to be true.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #780 on: July 30, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »

So as I understand it, the recall ends if Newsom resigns - making the Lt Gov Eleni Kounalakis the new Governor.

Is there any legal reason why Newsom can't just resign, have Kounalakis appoint him as the new Lt. Gov, have her resign, and then re-appoint her as Lt Gov?
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #781 on: July 30, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »

So as I understand it, the recall ends if Newsom resigns - making the Lt Gov Eleni Kounalakis the new Governor.

Is there any legal reason why Newsom can't just resign, have Kounalakis appoint him as the new Lt. Gov, have her resign, and then re-appoint her as Lt Gov?

The optics on that would be horrible to say the least. I could see Newsom resigning a day or two before the recall if it looks like he’s definitely going to lose though. I don’t see any of this musical chairs type stuff happening.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #782 on: August 02, 2021, 04:55:50 AM »

The optics on that would be horrible to say the least. I could see Newsom resigning a day or two before the recall if it looks like he’s definitely going to lose though. I don’t see any of this musical chairs type stuff happening.

Agreed. What could be on option is to resign and have Kounalakis as caretaker until the 2022 election in which both run for their previous positions.

I actually think Kounalakis would be a better governor than Newsom (though I don't get the hate for him).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #783 on: August 02, 2021, 05:14:43 AM »

Agreed. What could be on option is to resign and have Kounalakis as caretaker until the 2022 election in which both run for their previous positions.

Huh
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #784 on: August 02, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »

Huh

I meant if he was actually in danger of losing (which I still doubt), he could theoretically resign, Kounalakis becomes governor and then run for governor in 2022 again; Kounalakis runs for lt. governor again.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #785 on: August 04, 2021, 03:39:16 AM »

Larry Elder claims the ideal minimum wage is....nothing.

California workers currently earn a minimum of $13 or $14 an hour, but Larry Elder says he’d get rid of a legal baseline altogether.

“For somebody who’s never run a business to tell business people... ‘I’m going to jack up your price of labor, and you’re going to deal with it,’ to me, it’s offensive,” said Elder, a longtime conservative talk radio host and leading candidate to replace Gov. Gavin Newsom in the recall election this fall.

“The ideal minimum wage is $0.00,” he added.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #786 on: August 04, 2021, 06:27:33 AM »

He'd need to be Senate-confirmed before he'd be eligible to re-succeed her, so, y'know... good luck with that, optics-wise.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #787 on: August 04, 2021, 06:37:30 PM »

California workers currently earn a minimum of $13 or $14 an hour, but Larry Elder says he’d get rid of a legal baseline altogether.

“For somebody who’s never run a business to tell business people... ‘I’m going to jack up your price of labor, and you’re going to deal with it,’ to me, it’s offensive,” said Elder, a longtime conservative talk radio host and leading candidate to replace Gov. Gavin Newsom in the recall election this fall.

PSA: Vote Faulconer on question two.

Just in case.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #788 on: August 04, 2021, 06:43:50 PM »

It blows me away that there are STILL red avatars on here claiming Orange County is going to vote against the recall

Orange County is going to likely be +10 or more in favor of recall
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #789 on: August 04, 2021, 06:56:57 PM »

Just in case.
Agreed he's the only candidate on the Question 2 line that has enough executive experience to run a state as big as California. I still hope we see none of these candidates in the governor's office ever.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #790 on: August 04, 2021, 06:59:52 PM »

I don't see how CA's COVID restrictions were really worse than any other place? Especially given that CA was really bad, especially at the beginning. Newsom had very high ratings for a while last year, so for the majority of the pandemic voters agreed he was doing the right thing.

And any restrictions happening now/recently are because of the unvaccinated, not because of him, so not sure why voters would punish him for that.

He also was literally doing raffles of free money for Califrornians.

IDK, he's no perfect guy, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of *legitimate* reasons to recall, just typical stupid sh*t that Republicans are going on and on about (which they would do or say to anyone in his position)
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #791 on: August 04, 2021, 07:17:02 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #792 on: August 04, 2021, 07:50:41 PM »

I don't see how CA's COVID restrictions were really worse than any other place? Especially given that CA was really bad, especially at the beginning. Newsom had very high ratings for a while last year, so for the majority of the pandemic voters agreed he was doing the right thing.
And then he pushed it — California's restrictions lasted longer than any other state, including many provisions that simply made no sense (mask mandate at outdoor summer camps f/x). Schools also shut down longer than pretty much anywhere else. Both requirements that, incidentally, the Governor himself did not heed; he sends his kids to private school and sent them to a mask-free summer camp.
Cyrusman
« Reply #793 on: August 04, 2021, 08:17:26 PM »

It blows me away that there are STILL red avatars on here claiming Orange County is going to vote against the recall

100% agree
I live in OC Costa Mesa to be specific and people hate him here. He barely won the county by 4,000 votes against John Cox in 2018
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #794 on: August 04, 2021, 09:16:29 PM »

Just in case.
PSA: Vote Faulconer to prevent memes like Larry happening. If you want good government, vote Faulconer, if you want memes, vote Larry
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #795 on: August 04, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »

Just in case.

This unknown "Kevin Paffrath" guy is somehow leading in a replacement poll for presumably no other reason than the fact that there happens to be a "(D)" next to his name. Is he any good?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #796 on: August 04, 2021, 09:55:05 PM »

Just in case.

This unknown "Kevin Paffrath" guy is somehow leading in a replacement poll for presumably no other reason than the fact that there happens to be a "(D)" next to his name. Is he any good?

No, he is not.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #797 on: August 04, 2021, 10:51:57 PM »

For the recall to succeed, we would have to see a similar map to that of 2003, when Gray Davis was recalled in favor of Arnold Schwarzenegger:

Basically, Southern California (outside of Los Angeles) would have to join forces with the Republican base in Central and Northern California to outvote Los Angeles County, San Francisco, and the Bay Area.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #798 on: August 05, 2021, 02:15:13 AM »

If I were Newsom, I would make DeSantis my foil and beat the drum constantly on how much better California is doing than Florida.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #799 on: August 05, 2021, 05:43:53 AM »

Also isn't CA's vaccination rate doing very well?

Again, there seems to be very minute and menial reasons to do this recall. No governor has been perfect on COVID, and the situations that don't seem THAT consequential
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies