Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:40:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 793 794 795 796 797 [798] 799 800 801 802 803 ... 1169
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 912800 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19925 on: March 06, 2023, 11:34:34 PM »

Censored version & thread below (pro Ru source)

His face is clearly on the video, so the victim will be identified soon. That being said, I am already 90% of the opinion this is a genuine war crime, and not a UA psyop.

As you'd expect, Ukrainians are rallying around the final words of the (at the moment) unidentified murdered POW:

This year's "Russian warship, go f**k yourself" moment, I presume.
Not a bad comparison.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19926 on: March 07, 2023, 02:47:05 AM »

Video from one of the remaining roads the Ukrainians have left to reach Bakhmut:

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19927 on: March 07, 2023, 03:27:09 AM »

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19928 on: March 07, 2023, 03:28:00 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 03:36:02 AM by Woody »

Somewhere around 55% of the city's administrative borders are under Russian control. However, 40% of the urban area is under Russian control.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19929 on: March 07, 2023, 05:21:43 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 05:25:00 AM by Storr »

His face is clearly on the video, so the victim will be identified soon. That being said, I am already 90% of the opinion this is a genuine war crime, and not a UA psyop.

As you'd expect, Ukrainians are rallying around the final words of the (at the moment) unidentified murdered POW:

Not a bad comparison.

This is a bit confusing with two given names mentioned. But, whoever is in that late 90s/early 2000s photo looks a lot like the murdered POW, but much younger of course. The sore thumb sticking out is that they have different eye colors...

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19930 on: March 07, 2023, 11:49:35 AM »

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19931 on: March 07, 2023, 11:54:46 AM »

The Russian Ministry of Defense has taken over the prisoner recruiting process. Leading to Wagner trying for new ways to replenish it's manpower.

According to the instructions, the PMC does not accept people "suffering from serious illnesses, preventing the performance of tasks, suffering from drug addiction, as well as those with hepatitis B and C." However, no certificates are required, as follows from the same instructions, a serious medical examination is not carried out upon arrival on site: they only take a rapid blood test and urine test for drugs.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19932 on: March 07, 2023, 11:55:36 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 11:59:26 AM by lfromnj »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html

NYT says pro Ukrainian groups did the nordstream sabotage. Tbh Russia was fairly quiet early on which actually made believe it wasn't a Russian false flag.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #19933 on: March 07, 2023, 12:37:32 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html

NYT says pro Ukrainian groups did the nordstream sabotage. Tbh Russia was fairly quiet early on which actually made believe it wasn't a Russian false flag.

Trump was right again ?  I am still skeptical.  I find it hard to believe a non-state actor did this.

Trump said that the Nord Stream 2 sabotage was for sure not Russia and most likely USA.  He also identified Ukraine as a possible suspect but I think there is an issue of capability. 

Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #19934 on: March 07, 2023, 12:51:08 PM »

Trump was right again ?  I am still skeptical.  I find it hard to believe a non-state actor did this.

Trump said that the Nord Stream 2 sabotage was for sure not Russia and most likely USA.  He also identified Ukraine as a possible suspect but I think there is an issue of capability. 

I stand by my initial assessment.

Ukrainian or non-state actors are at least slightly more plausible than Putin but simultaneous strikes on multiple underwater targets with several dozen kilograms of military grade TNT would require an enormous amount of funding, coordination and training. They'd also either need to be incredibly lucky or well connected to completely evade detection in the process. I guess it isn't impossible but the simpler explanation is that American intelligence is covering ass, because there's no way they can openly admit to sabotaging German infrastructure.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #19935 on: March 07, 2023, 01:00:02 PM »

Wow.  The scale of the Russia energy import surge to India is just amazing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19936 on: March 07, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »

Actually the article does not say that, and it is all idle speculation, and the cost to repair is 500 million, which is next to nothing. The destruction was not needed, because Germany will not be buying gas from Putin's Russia ever again, pipeline or no pipeline. 

Here is a paragraph which is the "tell" that the article is almost literally drowning in its own speculation:

"Officials who have reviewed the intelligence said they believed the saboteurs were most likely Ukrainian or Russian nationals, or some combination of the two. U.S. officials said no American or British nationals were involved."

So it actually was a joint Ukraine-Russian operation. And guess who was directing the joint operation? Torie was.  Please write that down for future reference. Which leaves the question as to just who Torie works for.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19937 on: March 07, 2023, 01:37:00 PM »

What kind of "pro-Ukrainian group" would have the technical capacity to commit an attack like this??
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19938 on: March 07, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »

I actually hope this isn't true, even though there's no evidence that it was directed by the government or Zelensky was even aware of it. I'm afraid it would cause some backlash in Germany's public and may shrink support for aid.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19939 on: March 07, 2023, 02:56:22 PM »

A group of six unknown persons, using fake passports, rented a yacht in Poland on behalf of a company owned by two Ukrainian citizens, the German newspaper Die Zeit reported, citing investigative authorities.

According to the publication, in September 2022, the ship was returned in an uncleared condition, there were traces of explosives. It is not excluded that the evidence could have been false to mislead, but no evidence of such a scenario was found.

Presumably the saboteur crew included the ship's captain, two divers, their two assistants and a medic. Their identity and citizenship, as well as those who ordered the operation have not yet been established.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19940 on: March 07, 2023, 03:06:20 PM »

I like the theory of what happened but still don’t have a clue how it hit the nets unless there was a anti Putin mole in the Russian food chain on this one. It’s really bad, bad or for Putin’s cause.

Russian soldier records video > posts in private RU soldier groups (as is often the case) > UA searches phones of a captured or KIA RU soldier & finds video.

UA intelligence then saves the video for a "rainy day". (There are indications the video was released by the SBU or similar org)

Ukraine is currently in a difficult position now around Bakhmut, so releasing it now provides somewhat of a distraction, whilst helping boost the message abroad for continued support.

Does not seem very farfetched if we think about it like that.

I don't find it that far-fetched that Russian soldiers or war supporters spread it among themselves (HUH HUH look how we shot the Nazi) having no idea how it would look to the rest of the world if it got out. It likely then hit Telegram or another social media app where pro-Ukrainian or anti-War members saw it and then publicized it. Wouldn't be the first time that propaganda of this nature backfired. Think back to the infamous story of the "Polish cavalry charging the German tanks":

German Newsreel: HA HA! The Poles' equipment is so outdated that they charge our tanks with their lancers on horseback! Look how stupid they are!"
Poles: "Yes. We only had horses and lances but we still charged your tanks. Look how brave we are."
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19941 on: March 07, 2023, 03:06:43 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 03:16:36 PM by Woody »

Right Sector commander. Has participated in the Donbass war since 2014 at the age of 18. Was the youngest promoted battalion commander in Ukrainian Army history. He died in Bakhmut today, aged 27.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19942 on: March 07, 2023, 03:13:43 PM »

I actually hope this isn't true, even though there's no evidence that it was directed by the government or Zelensky was even aware of it. I'm afraid it would cause some backlash in Germany's public and may shrink support for aid.

Deep down, I was always glad that the pipelines were gone.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19943 on: March 07, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »

Not a bad comparison.

This is a bit confusing with two given names mentioned. But, whoever is in that late 90s/early 2000s photo looks a lot like the murdered POW, but much younger of course. The sore thumb sticking out is that they have different eye colors...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/07/ukraine-names-pow-allegedly-filmed-shot-dead-russian-soldiers?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"...named by the Ukrainian military as Tymofiy Mykolayovych Shadura.."

"The Ukrainian military said in a statement that Shadura was a member of the 30th Separate Mechanized Brigade and had been missing since 3 February near Bakhmut..."

"Some Ukrainian media and bloggers have cast doubt on the military’s assertion that the man was Shadura and claim instead that the murdered man is Oleksandr Igorevich Matsievskyi, a member of the fire support company of the 163rd battalion of the territorial defence in the city of Nizhyn, who was deployed to Bakhmut last November. He was reported missing in January, allegedly captured by the Russians, and his body was reportedly returned to his family in February."
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19944 on: March 07, 2023, 04:17:39 PM »

Not a bad comparison.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/07/ukraine-names-pow-allegedly-filmed-shot-dead-russian-soldiers?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"The Ukrainian military said in a statement that Shadura was a member of the 30th Separate Mechanized Brigade and had been missing since 3 February near Bakhmut..."

"Some Ukrainian media and bloggers have cast doubt on the military’s assertion that the man was Shadura and claim instead that the murdered man is Oleksandr Igorevich Matsievskyi, a member of the fire support company of the 163rd battalion of the territorial defence in the city of Nizhyn, who was deployed to Bakhmut last November. He was reported missing in January, allegedly captured by the Russians, and his body was reportedly returned to his family in February."
The plot thickens...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19945 on: March 07, 2023, 04:19:18 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19946 on: March 07, 2023, 05:23:53 PM »

Looks like the H1-B quota needs adjusting.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19947 on: March 07, 2023, 05:30:27 PM »

It's bigger than the flow of the Ganga...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19948 on: March 07, 2023, 05:50:08 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 06:36:17 PM by Storr »

Not a bad comparison.

The plot thickens...
More (claimed) details about Matsievskyi:

"According to [journalist Yurii] Butusov, he has spoken to the soldier's comrades. They identified the soldier and said that his mother has also recognized him in the video."

"Butusov added that the man's fatal bullet wounds, as recorded in his autopsy, closely matched those observed during the execution in the video. Another matching detail is the band-aid seen in the video above the POW's right eye – the 163rd Battalion's soldier had a band-aid in the same place when he went missing, according to the testimony of his comrades, cited by Butusov."

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19949 on: March 07, 2023, 06:24:00 PM »

"Generally speaking, this is some complete bulls*it."

Yes mobik Senior Lieutenant this war is complete BS. (I know that's not what he was calling BS, but maybe some Russians are realizing the war is pointless.)

Pages: 1 ... 793 794 795 796 797 [798] 799 800 801 802 803 ... 1169  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies