Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:52:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 792 793 794 795 796 [797] 798 799 800 801 802 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 918719 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19900 on: March 06, 2023, 01:50:02 PM »

More extremely concerning footage coming in from Bakhmut.

Video shows UA dugout positions completely annihilated, at least 20+ KIA visible on the spot. Unknown POW & wounded.

It seems they came under very heavy fire & sought shelters in the trenches and a large dugout room before falling to artillery & maybe encirclement.

Video is uncensored & paired with very unfitting music, so I won't post it here.

It's getting harder and harder to see Ukraine still holding on Bakhmut at the end of the month.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19901 on: March 06, 2023, 01:51:43 PM »

There's a reason they jokingly call the Geneva Conventions the "Geneva Suggestions".
If Russia wants Ukraine to respect POWs on their side well, they would be well advised to do the same.

To be fair, war has become somewhat more "humane", since for example, we haven't really seen widespread use of chemical weapons in the past decades.

Also, POW exchange lines seem open between RU & UA, and there is little to suggest either side is top-down ordering executions of POWs. This is obviously in stark contrast to Germany vs SSSR.

We have had a few UA (mostly the groups who like right hand stretching exercises, not regulars) kneecappings & executions & also a few similar videos from RU units, but so far, thankfully these have been exceptions & isolated cases.
Ah. That is good to hear. Not as bad as I imagined.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19902 on: March 06, 2023, 01:59:13 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19903 on: March 06, 2023, 02:01:54 PM »

What has happened over the past year should permanently destroy the reputations and careers of a lot of people who insisted that “Putin would never do such a thing, and even if he did what about NATO expansion”, etc.

Alas, it won’t.
Omega21

« Reply #19904 on: March 06, 2023, 02:05:12 PM »

There's a reason they jokingly call the Geneva Conventions the "Geneva Suggestions".
If Russia wants Ukraine to respect POWs on their side well, they would be well advised to do the same.

To be fair, war has become somewhat more "humane", since for example, we haven't really seen widespread use of chemical weapons in the past decades.

Also, POW exchange lines seem open between RU & UA, and there is little to suggest either side is top-down ordering executions of POWs. This is obviously in stark contrast to Germany vs SSSR.

We have had a few UA (mostly the groups who like right hand stretching exercises, not regulars) kneecappings & executions & also a few similar videos from RU units, but so far, thankfully these have been exceptions & isolated cases.
Ah. That is good to hear. Not as bad as I imagined.

Yeah, that's at least one of the tiny silver linings of this conflict.

We don't really have to rely on "Russians have a good heart, so they won't execute POWs", as there are other, purely self-serving motives at play.

The current Russian strategy reflects the fact they understand total victory, i.e. UA capitulation is out of the question, so the next best thing is grinding UA down and eking out a settlement that is a moderate "win".

POWs are very valuable "chips" in this case, so ordering your men not to take them makes very little sense.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #19905 on: March 06, 2023, 04:09:33 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2023, 04:14:08 PM by Woody »

The cameraman says at the start "I'm filming already", and the Ukrainian soldier answers without hesitation "Slava Ukraini" - Glory to Ukraine. Right before he gets executed the cameran answers "you're a bit-" and then gunshots before he gets to finish his sentence.

After executing him the other soldier says "What f..cking 'Slava Ukraini'? And the cameraman says "die, b*tch"

From the looks of it, I think (my speculation) the Russians were abusing that soldier and planning to make him say some degrading phrases in front of the camera (hence "I'm filming already" to let him know it's time to repeat what they wanted him to say) probably something along the lines of "Slava Rossiya" or 'Akhmat Sila'.

Then, being the power tripping psychotic cowards they are, shot him after getting their feelings hurt.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #19906 on: March 06, 2023, 04:16:09 PM »

Either that or the Russians planned on murdering him from the get go (the "I'm filming already" is a go ahead to his friends that it's time to murder him), and that soldier managed to sneak in 'glory to Ukraine' as his last words, right before his execution.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19907 on: March 06, 2023, 04:25:51 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2023, 04:58:07 PM by Torie »

I like the theory of what happened but still don’t have a clue how it hit the nets unless there was a anti Putin mole in the Russian food chain on this one. It’s really bad, bad PR for Putin’s cause.
Omega21

« Reply #19908 on: March 06, 2023, 04:40:17 PM »

I like the theory of what happened but still don’t have a clue how it hit the nets unless there was a anti Putin mole in the Russian food chain on this one. It’s really bad, bad or for Putin’s cause.

Russian soldier records video > posts in private RU soldier groups (as is often the case) > UA searches phones of a captured or KIA RU soldier & finds video.

UA intelligence then saves the video for a "rainy day". (There are indications the video was released by the SBU or similar org)

Ukraine is currently in a difficult position now around Bakhmut, so releasing it now provides somewhat of a distraction, whilst helping boost the message abroad for continued support.

Does not seem very farfetched if we think about it like that.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19909 on: March 06, 2023, 04:45:24 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2023, 04:56:28 PM by Storr »

A map giving a good overview of what the Russians are trying to do in the Marinka and Vuhledar areas. Green lines are railways. The north-south green line on the right part of the map is the railway from Mariupol to Donetsk. Because it is in range of Ukrainian artillery, and the route across the Crimean bridge via Melitopol is very circuitous (literally going the long way around the Sea of Azov), the Russians have been forced to use trucks (and to a lesser extent ships) to resupply troops in the Mariupol area since they destroyed and captured the city last year.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19910 on: March 06, 2023, 04:52:15 PM »

The good news at least is in the year 2023 it’s going to be hard for these bastards to hide and they’ll likely suffer the same fate as the Bucha butchers
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #19911 on: March 06, 2023, 05:33:56 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19912 on: March 06, 2023, 05:37:08 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2023, 05:47:02 PM by lfromnj »

Again even if the total casualties are true which are believable, the current casualties under current supply lines and firing angles for the Russian soldiers are not 5:1.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19913 on: March 06, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »

If those numbers are accurate, then Ukraine could very likely have a decent chance at being net tactical winners from Bakhmut when all is said and done.
Ukraine's biggest problem might well be replacing their losses. Things like this help keep them in the game.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19914 on: March 06, 2023, 05:51:47 PM »

Again even if the total casualties are true which are believable, the current casualties under current supply lines and firing angles for the Russian soldiers are not true.

Michael Kofman and Rob Lee visited Bakhmut in the last week and they agree with this position. Neil Hauer's analysis tends towards the pessimistic in my opinion, but he's not a bad reporter and claims the recent casualty ratio (as of a few days ago) had fallen to "almost" 1:1.

This is still technically favourable to Ukraine, so the propagandists aren't outright lying in this case - but it's much worse than what they usually seem to get and probably bad considering the difference in population sizes.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19915 on: March 06, 2023, 06:04:13 PM »

Again even if the total casualties are true which are believable, the current casualties under current supply lines and firing angles for the Russian soldiers are not true.

Michael Kofman and Rob Lee visited Bakhmut in the last week and they agree with this position. Neil Hauer's analysis tends towards the pessimistic in my opinion, but he's not a bad reporter and claims the recent casualty ratio (as of a few days ago) had fallen to "almost" 1:1.

This is still technically favourable to Ukraine, so the propagandists aren't outright lying in this case - but it's much worse than what they usually seem to get and probably bad considering the difference in population sizes.
But at the same time Ukraine’s high command sees something that is convincing them to stay and fight even with Russia advances
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19916 on: March 06, 2023, 06:08:56 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 02:35:55 AM by Storr »

I saw an article a while back about Ukraine's already dire demographic problems being worsened by the war. At least it's the same for Russia:

"The number of Russians born in April 2022 was no higher than it had been in the months of Hitler’s occupation. And because so many men of fighting age are dead [treated by Putin like cannon fodder] or in exile, women outnumber men by at least 10 million."

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19917 on: March 06, 2023, 06:28:18 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19918 on: March 06, 2023, 06:50:51 PM »

Censored version & thread below (pro Ru source)

His face is clearly on the video, so the victim will be identified soon. That being said, I am already 90% of the opinion this is a genuine war crime, and not a UA psyop.

As you'd expect, Ukrainians are rallying around the final words of the (at the moment) unidentified murdered POW:

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19919 on: March 06, 2023, 07:08:13 PM »

I do think Putin has a long view, and saw the window of opportunity to consummate his demonic vision closing and closing rapidly. Why? Due to his perceived Russian demographic implosion. You see, for quite a long time now Russia's stagnant population was sustained by net immigration, presumably from the former Soviet Republics. Now what? Net immigration is negative, and who in their right mind would want to move there to mitigate much less offset the outflow of "draft dodgers," the fertility  rate is 1.2,  and so, it appears that Putin's Hail Mary pass was intercepted, and the ball run back into his own end zone. Too bad that to complete the metaphor, those tackled are dead bodies surrounded by destruction.

https://fortune.com/2022/10/18/russia-population-historic-decline-emigration-war-plunging-birth-rate-form-perfect-storm
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19920 on: March 06, 2023, 07:09:40 PM »

His face is clearly on the video, so the victim will be identified soon. That being said, I am already 90% of the opinion this is a genuine war crime, and not a UA psyop.

As you'd expect, Ukrainians are rallying around the final words of the (at the moment) unidentified murdered POW:

This year's "Russian warship, go f**k yourself" moment, I presume.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19921 on: March 06, 2023, 07:10:18 PM »

Not a bad comparison.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19922 on: March 06, 2023, 07:20:52 PM »

Not a bad comparison.

Just like Bakhmut is this year's Mariupol, I presume.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19923 on: March 06, 2023, 07:22:45 PM »

Not a bad comparison.

Certainly seems that way.
We shall see what 2023 holds, of course. It's possible there will be bigger things that come along.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19924 on: March 06, 2023, 08:05:14 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 03:19:29 AM by Storr »

Not a bad comparison.

Bakhmut could definitely become this year's Mariupol if Ukrainian forces get surrounded. This is especially from a military perspective. I suppose it's a tiny silver lining that it has taken 8+ months for Russia to get close to surrounding Bakhmut, while Mariupol was surrounded in four days.

It feels callous to say, but from a civilian casualty perspective at least Bakhmut is a much smaller city than Mariupol. (Estimated 2021 populations 72,000 vs. 432,000.) In addition, Ukraine has had 8 months to evacuate civilians from Bakhmut, which was more than enough time to evacuate all civilians who were willing/able to leave. Meanwhile in Mariupol, there was basically no time to evacuate civilians.
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 794 795 796 [797] 798 799 800 801 802 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies