SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:44:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103339 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: June 24, 2022, 07:34:46 PM »

This will be litigated and go before the Supreme Court. 

Pro-choice advocates should really just lay low for a few years and focus on codifying abortion rights into as many States' laws as possible.  Going the litigious route just gives Alito & Co. the opportunity to create all sorts of anti-choice precedents that will take decades to overturn.

"The DOJ has no role to play in determining what the country's abortion laws will be" said the Supreme Court today.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1726 on: June 24, 2022, 07:42:39 PM »

Pro-choice advocates should really just lay low for a few years and focus on codifying abortion rights into as many States' laws as possible.  Going the litigious route just gives Alito & Co. the opportunity to create all sorts of anti-choice precedents that will take decades to overturn.

"The DOJ has no role to play in determining what the country's abortion laws will be" said the Supreme Court today.

They're more justified in it than the theocrats running the court.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1727 on: June 24, 2022, 07:55:27 PM »

Can France and the UK take the Northeast back under their control, please? I think independence was a mistake.

But really, is it weird that the 6-3 decision actually makes me feel a little better than a 5-4 decision would have? It suggests to me that this was inevitable.

I've said it before, but with all the speculation of how the makeup of the court would be if Ginsburg retired, Garland was confirmed, or Clinton elected I don't think any of that would have led to a majority decision upholding Roe/Casey. I don't think a 5-4 liberal court was ever in the cards-things just don't work out that well for our side ever.

If we ever were to get a majority on the court it would probably have involved either, or both, of the 1988 and 2000 elections going the other way. And even then, considering the butterfly effect, who knows what other consequences would have happened.

We have no choice but to just try and stop things from getting even worse. That's all we can do. Too many Americans lacked the foresight to see this coming in nearly ever past election, save for 2020, and I can only hope that those who care about reproductive rights actually remain proactive, politically, in the future. We only seem to learn lessons as a country when we are already in the abyss. And even then, that's me being optimistic.

I have always thought that this country was doomed from the start, but it's getting ridiculous now and I still can't shake the feeling that things are still going to get even worse. Can you really blame me for thinking that?

For now...

Guns now have more rights in the US than women.

"The GOP treat objects like women, man!"

The 2000 election was irrelevant for SCOTUS.  No one left the Court until 2005.  2004 and 2016 were the big ones, assuming Kerry or Clinton would have had a cooperative senate.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #1728 on: June 24, 2022, 08:01:49 PM »

This just pisses me off. If you really believe that abortion is murder and that the lives of the unborn are sacrosanct, then pushing it back to the states is an egregious cop-out and an abdication of responsibility. It reveals gross inconsistencies in the pro-life line of "thinking" (and thinking is a generous term to use.)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1729 on: June 24, 2022, 08:04:19 PM »

This just pisses me off. If you really believe that abortion is murder and that the lives of the unborn are sacrosanct, then pushing it back to the states is an egregious cop-out and an abdication of responsibility. It reveals gross inconsistencies in the pro-life line of "thinking" (and thinking is a generous term to use.)

Because they know a total abortion ban won't pass at all.

So they kick it to the states, creating chaos and confusion.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1730 on: June 24, 2022, 08:08:49 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 08:21:35 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Can France and the UK take the Northeast back under their control, please? I think independence was a mistake.

But really, is it weird that the 6-3 decision actually makes me feel a little better than a 5-4 decision would have? It suggests to me that this was inevitable.

I've said it before, but with all the speculation of how the makeup of the court would be if Ginsburg retired, Garland was confirmed, or Clinton elected I don't think any of that would have led to a majority decision upholding Roe/Casey. I don't think a 5-4 liberal court was ever in the cards-things just don't work out that well for our side ever.

If we ever were to get a majority on the court it would probably have involved either, or both, of the 1988 and 2000 elections going the other way. And even then, considering the butterfly effect, who knows what other consequences would have happened.

We have no choice but to just try and stop things from getting even worse. That's all we can do. Too many Americans lacked the foresight to see this coming in nearly ever past election, save for 2020, and I can only hope that those who care about reproductive rights actually remain proactive, politically, in the future. We only seem to learn lessons as a country when we are already in the abyss. And even then, that's me being optimistic.

I have always thought that this country was doomed from the start, but it's getting ridiculous now and I still can't shake the feeling that things are still going to get even worse. Can you really blame me for thinking that?

For now...

Guns now have more rights in the US than women.

"The GOP treat objects like women, man!"

The 2000 election was irrelevant for SCOTUS.  No one left the Court until 2005.  2004 and 2016 were the big ones, assuming Kerry or Clinton would have had a cooperative senate.

I look at it in a butterfly effect way. Gore winning would have likely altered who was President from 2004 on (I doubt Democrats would have won in 2004 in that circumstance either) and maybe the GOP would have gone in a different direction for that election and appointed less terrible justices, if they got to appoint any at all. I don't know, it's all speculation, probably worthless speculation, but that election still bothers me since it put us on track in general for where we are today, beyond the Supreme Court. I insist that things generally would have been better today if Bush never won.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1731 on: June 24, 2022, 08:28:45 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 08:36:13 PM by Benjamin Frank »

Has this been posted here yet:

“Some House Republicans who oppose abortion rights are pushing legislation to implement a nationwide abortion ban at 15 weeks, coming just hours after the Supreme Court released its opinion overturning Roe v. Wade,” CNN reports.

“The legislation appears unlikely to advance in the Senate in the near future — due in part to the 60 votes needed to overcome a filibuster. Still, the early discussions represent the excitement energizing opponents of abortion rights, eager to capitalize on Friday’s victory.”

I'm not sure why Republicans would support this. If Democrats can negotiate a little around the edges on the strictness of the ban at 15 weeks, i.e certain exceptions for the life and physical health of the mother, that would be a reasonable compromise given the situation and that there be no trickery before 15 weeks on 'regulating' abortion clinics or limiting abortion access. 91% of all abortions occur within the first trimester and 15 weeks would obviously be higher.

Federal law supercedes any state law. So, Alabama, for instance, would go back to having legal abortion to 15 weeks.

I'm not sure why Republicans would support this. It would send a strong message to social conservatives that Republican politicians don't actually want to outright ban abortion.  
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1732 on: June 24, 2022, 08:29:56 PM »

Nothing says "pro-life" like attempted vehicular manslaughter!
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1733 on: June 24, 2022, 08:34:28 PM »

Anyone here who is pro-choice but believes that it should be a legislative matter?

No. A woman's autonomy of her own body is a divine right, not one to be granted or restricted by any government.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1734 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:37 PM »

everything only gets worse forever

watch them come for gay marriage next

Things will stop getting worse. That is when the decline turns into the fall.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1735 on: June 24, 2022, 08:39:00 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 09:13:58 PM by Person Man »

We were so concerned about the left-wing terrorism that we forgot about the right wing terrorism. And worse; it works.
rwoy
« Reply #1736 on: June 24, 2022, 08:41:20 PM »

Masturbation is murder.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1737 on: June 24, 2022, 08:47:14 PM »

As someone who is firmly pro-life, I say this guy should face the full weight of the law. If you're pro-life, you should act like it at least on the most basic level by avoiding literally murdering peaceful protestors.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1738 on: June 24, 2022, 08:50:25 PM »

Right on cue, MTG calling the peaceful protest outside of SCOTUS an "insurrection." The republican party really is populated by the dumbest people on the f****** planet.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1739 on: June 24, 2022, 08:54:10 PM »

just reposting what I've said on twitter here:

If you're actually "pro-life" (aka, also anti-death penalty, pro-strong safety net, etc), I won't agree with you on abortion, but at least I'll respect you.

I have no respect for people who call themselves "pro-life" when they're just pro-birth.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1740 on: June 24, 2022, 08:57:20 PM »

We were so concerned about the left-wing terrorism that we forgot about the right wing terrorism.

This country is broken, and it's so damn sad.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1741 on: June 24, 2022, 09:02:31 PM »

Our God IS an Awesome God!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1742 on: June 24, 2022, 09:06:12 PM »

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1743 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:18 PM »

This decision is only ging to drive younger people further and further away from religion. You do realise that?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1744 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:51 PM »

Oh man the Russians are out in full force tonight huh
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1745 on: June 24, 2022, 09:15:13 PM »

Profiting off the name of the Lord is satanic.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1746 on: June 24, 2022, 09:18:15 PM »

Democratic presidents will eventually start ignoring this court as illegitimate. Abortion pills will be legal in most states and even if a state bans them, women will still get them the same way I get my pot.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1747 on: June 24, 2022, 09:20:58 PM »

The "pro-life" movement isn't about life, it is about control. It's crazy that they got what they wanted and they are still angry enough to run people over.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1748 on: June 24, 2022, 09:24:19 PM »

This decision is only ging to drive younger people further and further away from religion. You do realise that?

Four people to date have recommended this, none of which have a history of caring what God might thing enough to change their mind on an issue.  I take these assessments with a grain of salt.  
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1749 on: June 24, 2022, 09:27:08 PM »

The Lord is all-seeing, all-knowing. It is perfectly possible He has arranged for this to happen. I can't say anything certain either way of course.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies