EPA threatens to triple costs if company doesn’t comply satisfactorily w/ cleanup for Ohio disaster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:33:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  EPA threatens to triple costs if company doesn’t comply satisfactorily w/ cleanup for Ohio disaster
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EPA threatens to triple costs if company doesn’t comply satisfactorily w/ cleanup for Ohio disaster  (Read 476 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2023, 11:08:05 PM »

EPA orders company to clean-up Ohio train wreck environmental disaster promptly with satisfactory results, or they will do it and charge them 300% all costs.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/epa-orders-norfolk-southern-clean-ohio-train-derailment-site-pay-costs-rcna71598

Good! And I think this is a big enough issue this can have another thread.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:16:02 PM »

EPA orders company to clean-up Ohio train wreck environmental disaster promptly with satisfactory results, or they will do it and charge them 300% all costs.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/epa-orders-norfolk-southern-clean-ohio-train-derailment-site-pay-costs-rcna71598

This kind of threat would NEVER, EVER come from a republican administration. I'm very grateful we have Joe Biden as President.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 11:18:15 PM »

That is the proper action. Companies have to be held accountable for accidents like this.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 11:32:30 PM »

This is... based? I'm waiting to see what the fine print is, or the loophole, where it's not as good as it sounds like it is. If it's just simply this at face value with no fine print, this is awesome.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 11:34:21 PM »

Based!
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 11:55:28 PM »

It’s good that they’re going after this company, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to frame this as an environmental disaster rather than a public health emergency.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 12:04:06 AM »

It’s good that they’re going after this company, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to frame this as an environmental disaster rather than a public health emergency.
Isn’t that what every environmental disaster is?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 12:07:08 AM »

What happens to trees and deer doesn’t have the direct impact on human lives that toxins being emitted into the air does. Indirect sure.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 12:15:18 AM »

obviously they should have to pay for it, and an additional fine would be...ahem, fine, but 3 times?  That is a lot, and the company will never pay that much.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 01:11:35 AM »

obviously they should have to pay for it, and an additional fine would be...ahem, fine, but 3 times?  That is a lot, and the company will never pay that much.
It’s to scare them or ruin them. I approve. Fine them until they have nothing left and collapse.

What happens to trees and deer doesn’t have the direct impact on human lives that toxins being emitted into the air does. Indirect sure.
Those things aren’t usually called environmental disasters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 05:29:13 AM »

It’s to scare them or ruin them. I approve. Fine them until they have nothing left and collapse.
I hope the govt lets the civil suits go through before ruining the company at least.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 09:22:07 AM »

We need to get tough on rich and powerful public nuisances.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 10:20:51 AM »

I hope the govt lets the civil suits go through before ruining the company at least.

Norfolk Southern is not about to go bankrupt even if forced to pay treble damages for this  clean-up.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 11:01:08 AM »

This kind of threat would NEVER, EVER come from a republican administration. I'm very grateful we have Joe Biden as President.
It's not a "threat," it's the standard consequence for failure to comply w/ a cleanup order.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 03:05:03 PM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 03:10:31 PM »

Fines and punishment for businesses need to be redone. Right now it’s cheaper to screw everyone over and take the slap on the wrist. Need to force companies to pay, and then add 5 times the cost on and make it hurt. The illegal activities would stop if the punishments would make the company falter.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 06:01:09 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2023, 06:06:41 PM by Benjamin Frank »

Is it wrong to ask why the people in East Palestine, apparently 70% Trump supporting, aren't picking themselves up by their own bootstraps?

Also on the politics (and the policy) don't forget that the Republican Supreme Court is also working its way to declaring the Administrative State unconstitutional which would futher hamper the executive from regulating business.

Anybody who believes that there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats on issues supporting 'the working man' is an idiot.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 06:13:07 PM »

Is it wrong to ask why the people in East Palestine, apparently 70% Trump supporting, aren't picking themselves up by their own bootstraps?

Also on the politics (and the policy) don't forget that the Republican Supreme Court is also working its way to declaring the Administrative State unconstitutional which would futher hamper the executive from regulating business.

Anybody who believes that there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats on issues supporting 'the working man' is an idiot.

First off, although Lisbon County voted just over 70% for trump, I would guarantee that number is tangibly smaller in East Palestine. I would guess Trump still won the city, possibly substantially, but it's not overwhelmingly Trump land I bet.

More to the point, for what it's worth these are voters who are not pull yourself up by the bootstraps type of conservatives by any means. As recent is 10 years ago Obama broke 42% of the vote in this County and probably won East palestine. Hell, Sharon Brown might have even carried the city or at least came damn close as recent as 4 years ago.

It's the type of place where voters will respond to economic populism, and these are exactly the types of wake up calls if we handle it right can be used to try to help voters in their communities from avoiding future disasters in the name of corporate profits.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies