SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:08:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101491 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 02, 2022, 08:34:57 PM »

Maybe Alito and Trump get made into saints by the Church? Does this count as a miracle? Anyways, yeah. Life is really gonna suck for millions of people now regardless.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:56:15 PM »

So I got a question if Lawrence were to be overturned would that make all that stuff illegal or would it just be between homosexuals in states where laws are on the books.

Think the GOP gave up on overturning Lawrence/gay marriage. They are going after abortion.

That’s why they are calling for gay people child molesters.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09:03:34 PM »

Believe me? A lot of people are going to get more than they bargained for.

Imagine telling someone a decade ago Donald J. Trump would be the most significant figure for the social conservative cause in decades.
How will DeSantis be able to go against Trump now that he can now claim to be the most successful Sectarian Nationalist since Prohibition?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 09:08:57 PM »

The support for court packing probably just shot up.

Good thing you guys won’t have a trifecta for the rest of the decade

If this decision actually is handed down I wouldn't count on that not happening. Republicans have pushed too far and as I said a lot of Trump supporters are pro-abortion. Overturning Roe vs. Wade is a risky move electorally for Republicans.
The scheme to achieve this exact outcome was telegraphed years in advance, but the headlines will be shocking, nonetheless. Striking down the right to reproductive autonomy will have some serious ripple effects. Policing, surveillance, housing, immigration - all transformed for the worse. I expect this will stir up mass resistance from the two-thirds of the country who oppose this ludicrous opinion.

It going to make the Floyd aftermath look tame. Imagine a world where there’s a January 6th every week.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 09:20:52 PM »

Republicans, have a look at how abortions were carried out in Ceausescu's Romania to see what's in store.

Ironically both the bad things from it working and not working happened.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:08 PM »

I am a woman. My opinion on the issue has more value than yours.

You don't actually believe this, you're just parroting what you've seen some pro-choice women say to pro-life men as an attempt to "own" him.

You don't get to say what I do or do not believe in. Nor do you know me well enough to have a valid argument here.

Okay, theocrat.

Can you do anything except make personal attacks in violation of the TOS. You can be upset but attacking posters is a TOS violation and you keep doing that.

It’s not an attack if it’s true.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 07:33:16 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 07:40:08 AM by Person Man »

I for one, find it disgusting that it's even possible to "leak" a future SC decision in order to intimidate the court into doing exactly what they want (which is what this is, no doubt). The court's integrity is on the line, not because they might overrule Roe, but if they buckle to social/political pressure in response to this leak.

Has it been established that this was leaked by a pro-choicer, and what the motivations were? Or are you just assuming? It's very easy to see the argument that this was releasing by a supporter of ending Roe v. Wade to make sure those 5 stay in line, because if one of them flips now, everyone will know about it.

Do you really think with the amount of media and activism the left has in their favor that the conservative justices are going to be pressured to stay in place? Barrett and Kavanaugh have been notoriously flaky over the past 2 years, and complained about the court's "image".

If it was a pro-life person who leaked, why would they leak a victory for them potentially two months in advance? It makes much more sense to me that a pro-choicer would've leaked, as a panic mechanism to turn up the heat on the court (and the issue in general) to gain favorability for their side.

Harry just answered you: to keep them all in line. Now it is too late for last-minute compromises or changes, because anything different will be seen as "caving to public pressure."

Bingo. It's not at risk. If a pro-choice clerk did this, it was likely just to "get the news out there" rather than try to change anyone's mind.

Might be a dumb question, but help me out legal-brains: is it "illegal" to release stuff like this? (Draft opinions, that is)
It isn't. The Federal courts don't have official regulatory bodies or regulations that police them. That's a major issue. If a Justice did this leak, there is nothing you can do about. I guess if a staff member did this, they could be fired by the Justice they clerk for.

Just curious. I'm still not 100% on what you stance on this is.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 07:49:35 AM »

I for one, find it disgusting that it's even possible to "leak" a future SC decision in order to intimidate the court into doing exactly what they want (which is what this is, no doubt). The court's integrity is on the line, not because they might overrule Roe, but if they buckle to social/political pressure in response to this leak.

Has it been established that this was leaked by a pro-choicer, and what the motivations were? Or are you just assuming? It's very easy to see the argument that this was releasing by a supporter of ending Roe v. Wade to make sure those 5 stay in line, because if one of them flips now, everyone will know about it.

Do you really think with the amount of media and activism the left has in their favor that the conservative justices are going to be pressured to stay in place? Barrett and Kavanaugh have been notoriously flaky over the past 2 years, and complained about the court's "image".

If it was a pro-life person who leaked, why would they leak a victory for them potentially two months in advance? It makes much more sense to me that a pro-choicer would've leaked, as a panic mechanism to turn up the heat on the court (and the issue in general) to gain favorability for their side.

Harry just answered you: to keep them all in line. Now it is too late for last-minute compromises or changes, because anything different will be seen as "caving to public pressure."

Bingo. It's not at risk. If a pro-choice clerk did this, it was likely just to "get the news out there" rather than try to change anyone's mind.

Might be a dumb question, but help me out legal-brains: is it "illegal" to release stuff like this? (Draft opinions, that is)

I dont think its illegal per se but it violates legal ethics and certainly whatever contract the leaker was bound to. Its like a lawyer sleeping with a client after agreeing to represent them or a judge having ex parte communications. The bar would be the main sanctioning body.

Didn't SCOTUS rule that the various NGOs that regulate judicial ethics doesn't apply to them?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 08:46:34 AM »

There's a reason Christianity is dying among young people in this country. And it has to do with Christians themselves. Idc if you belong to "mainline" church. The face of Christianity in this country is evangelicalism. An ideology using religion as a tool to fight back against any social progress made since the 1950s (plus gutting public education). Luckily for them they have crazy right-wing Catholics to use as an ally.

The only positive with these decisions is that more young people will shun religion as its only use nowadays is a being a tool for the right.

It's sad because there are lots of young people that want to go to church, mass, explore their faith and spiritual beliefs, but it became so politicized.  It really became almost a part of one party (the Republicans), and I do agree with many evangelicals that say it's become too focused on these issues where it really cannot change the whole of society.  There's issues that have been so neglected - poverty, especially in children, hunger and food insecurity, homelessness, not being able to afford a family, not being able to keep families together - but they have been so narrow-minded.  Even at Liberty University there's students who are really starting to question this undying loyalty to one man (Trump) and how that really does not match the ideals they have.
Can confirm. The Republican Party has been the single most destructive entity to Christianity in America in the past few years. The church is increasingly refusing to actually change their rhetoric (not their stance which is theological obv) to fit the population. If it makes you feel a bit better, I am noticing a slow rise in liberal Christianity among the very young, although it’s slow. Hopefully we can get a trend like this to accelerate, a Christianity which preaches community and loving thy neighbor is the best thing America could hope for.

People need God and having God doesn't mean you can't have civil rights, a strong civil society, and modern science.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »

How many states are for-certain Freedom of Choice states and how many are right-to-life states are there going to be when this gets handed down?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 12:56:23 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 01:04:12 PM by Person Man »

Maybe i overreacted

but this whole thing is so stupid.

Policing the entire world about human rights

and be like... women rights, never heard of it.

Hopefully the US remains the Hegemonic Power

How do certain point, this becomes meaningless. If the United States no longer has its values, and there’s no need for to be a hegemon anymore.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 01:07:50 PM »

Our nation is moving backwards, while the rest of the world moves forward.

Pretty sure the Ukrainians getting murdered by imperialists and the Shanghainese cemented inside their tenements would disagree with your statement.

I'm talking in general, over time (and most importantly with regards to abortion/women's rights).
Examples ... Mexico and Ireland.
There will always be wars/conflicts and Corona virus is a rare(ish) world-wide event.
Your "but Ukrainians" post is not as worthy as you believe it is. Please.

Nor is yours claiming easier access to kill unborn babies is "progress moving forward"
You can believe all kinds of crazy. The problem is that everybody has to pay to jack this craziness off. With the other side, barring those that think everybody should pay for it, no one has to pay for anyone’s else’s getting sh**t upon.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 05:19:35 PM »

Issue. Polling. Is. Worthless!!!

No. It's. Not. Lmfao.

Then explain why universal background checks always poll at above 90% no matter how it's asked, then when it was put on the ballot in Maine it lost even though anti-gun groups spent six times as much as pro-gun groups.

The only form of issue polling that actually matters is the ballot box.

Ok, since we're playing this game. Personhood ballot initiatives have failed in states like North Dakota and Mississippi in the past ten years. West Virginia Republicans were able to get one passed in their state back in 2018 by just 3 points in a state that Trump won by over 40 just two years prior.

There's no reason to believe the polls I posted are inaccurate, especially since they passed your ballot box test Smiley

By like what? 3 points?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 09:57:29 AM »

A couple of decades from now, when crime rates suddenly explode, we need to remember that THIS is why and not because of whoever is president around 2040.

It will literally be Trump's fault.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 10:02:01 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2022, 10:05:10 AM by Person Man »

A couple of decades from now, when crime rates suddenly explode, we need to remember that THIS is why and not because of whoever is president around 2040.

It will literally be Trump's fault.

But that's exactly what they want.

Screw things up to create chaos, and take advantage of that chaos.

Historically speaking, that's how countries stop being countries. People like this wait for chaos so that they could take them, a few thousand of their buddies and their families to start a militia, build a town, and secede from the rest of society and society lets them because it is too overwhelmed with the chaos to prevent them from leaving society.

It's either that or some Juan Carlos or Gorbachev gets into power and says that "this is dumb" and that's the end of it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2022, 10:21:59 AM »

That's lazy. It's like saying Democrats passed Obamacare and then all of the sudden they don't want to talk about it. Republicans just want to do whatever they want.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2022, 10:28:02 AM »

That's lazy. It's like saying Democrats passed Obamacare and then all of the sudden they don't want to talk about it. Republicans just want to do whatever they want.

The republicans didn’t pass anything here though

No.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 01:11:30 PM »

This is a good sign for democrats. They know they’re gonna get rocked if they overturn it. Let’s hope we can actually do something with it

This. As NickG said elsewhere, this will especially be relevant in WI/MI/AZ, where if Roe was overturned, already-existing laws would immediately pass severe restrictions on abortion. I'm actually hoping now that Roe gets overturned if it means it helps Democrats hold the Senate (and hopefully expand their majority to 51-49). This needs to be an issue, and hopefully it'll be one that causes turbocharged Democratic turnout. Though they should learn from Udall and McAuliffe and not run single-issue campaigns, either, because that could end up backfiring.

It's simple. Treat the Republicans as incumbents.

I guess the one good thing is that Arizona has a referendum system and in Michigan, Whitmer is very likely to get a restraining order against the trigger law there.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 03:27:20 PM »

THIS DOESN'T HELP, PLEASE SHUT THE F[INKS] UP WITH THIS TYPE OF LANGUAGE AT A TIME LIKE THIS

If you don't think it's helpful, why are you posting tweets from randoms?  She also lists her location as "Occupied Ho-Chunk Land". 
This tweet sounds borderline disabled.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 04:32:11 PM »

God he's such a creep

Not sure why he cares about abortion, any woman old enough to get pregnant would be way too old for him

No way this guy isn't a rapist.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2022, 05:10:06 PM »

Jesus Christ, just say "people". "Birthing bodies" appeals to no one.

Or just say women.

I actually have a funny story about something like this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 06:25:46 PM »

Jesus Christ, just say "people". "Birthing bodies" appeals to no one.

Or just say women.

I actually have a funny story about something like this.

Go on, tell us more. I'm trying to see if we get 50 pages by the weekend.

OK. I had this roommate that said he was slightly annoyed with me when I was asking for things like “may I please  have this or that” and instead told me to tell him to give me this or that instead. One day, I told him when I wanted something “to STFU bitch and give me this or that before I kill you”. It was pretty funny.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 07:55:58 PM »

JFC

Isn’t this what the Stasi did in East Germany? And you know what? There’s nothing you can do folks…and you know the rest of this quote.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 07:56:54 PM »

I swear this site has a obnoxious pocket of posters with a deeply unhealthy distain for trans people.

did you mean Republicans

I agree, this site does have an unhealthy disdain for Republicans.
Dude you had a red avatar on January 6 in protest of Trump and what was happening. And now that party has decided what happened then is totally fine and all those arrested and charged are unjustly held political prisoners.

The Dems are literally creating a ministry of truth

You really need to log off and regain some perspective dude the endless hysteria is so annoying

Thank you. What OSR said was just meta AF.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2022, 09:49:11 PM »

JFC

I thought Republicans were against a surveillance state?

You forgot about the Republican Party under W.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies