SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:02:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101469 times)
Yoda
United States

« on: May 02, 2022, 10:36:10 PM »

How many of the republican-appointed Justices said during their confirmation hearings that Roe was "settled law?"
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »

As long as their are exemptions for rape, incest and health of the mother, I am ok with this.

There won't be. Source: Almost every republican in Congress.

Roe v Wade has divided our country for half a century. There is no end on sight. For 40-45% of Americans, no restrictions on abortion is an abomination. That bridge simply can not be built. In states where they are a majority, they should be able to ban it.

This is nonsensical reasoning, as overturning Roe v Wade will have the exact same affect, but will bitterly enrage even more people, as pro-choice people outnumber anti-choice by about 2-1. The correct answer is for people who do not favor abortion to have the freedom to not have one, and people who do favor abortion to have the freedom to have one if they choose. This is called "freedom." Not liking the choices your neighbor makes does not give you a right to stop them or force your will upon them. This is called "democracy." Giving the extreme minority the power to force their beliefs down the majority's throat is without a doubt the dumbest "solution"

We already live in two Americas. People in my state stopped wearing masks a year before some other states. We have to get used to that and focus on things that unite us like passing paid leave or free college.

Everyone in your state did not stop wearing masks altogether, or a year before any other state. Some liberals in your state still wear them while grocery shopping to this day, I guarantee you. Some conservatives in deep blue states never wore them except when they absolutely had to as required by law. Which is besides the point that this little rant has absolutely nothing to do with the abortion debate at all.

Democrats have repeatedly tried to pass paid leave bills and bills funding free community college for all Americans (both of which would cost a fraction of the trump tax scam). I don't know what you're basing your assertion on that these issues "unite us" when republicans opposed them in lockstep.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 08:15:05 PM »

Biden states;

Banned - Michigan, Arizona, Georgia.
Restricted - Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Virginia.
Not protected - New Hampshire, New Mexico

SCOTUS just handed Gov. Whitmer and all the other dem candidates in Michigan a huge weapon this November. Whitmer was already taking legal action to strike down Michigan's law from the 1920's b/c she saw this coming. The dem statewide ticket will romp. Thanks to true redistricting reform, they have a shot at taking both houses of the legislature as well.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 08:25:08 PM »

Biden states;

Banned - Michigan, Arizona, Georgia.
Restricted - Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Virginia.
Not protected - New Hampshire, New Mexico

SCOTUS just handed Gov. Whitmer and all the other dem candidates in Michigan a huge weapon this November. Whitmer was already taking legal action to strike down Michigan's law from the 1920's b/c she saw this coming. The dem statewide ticket will romp. Thanks to true redistricting reform, they have a shot at taking both houses of the legislature as well.
Is Michigan really that blue though? Trump did win the state in 2016, and is now voting to right of the national average. I know state races are different, but I don't think Michigan is that pro-choice to the point that Republicans are nearly DOA in a red wave year. Maybe this moves the governor mansion from Lean R to tossup though for now.

I don't know what ever gave you the impression that the governor's race was ever "Lean R" to begin with. Whitmer had a comfortable lead depending on the polling before this.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 09:32:19 PM »

Wow, The Young Turks are dissatisfied with the Democratic Party? This is a game-changer.

Caught their show literally one time and I have been eternally exhausted with their schtick since.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 10:06:53 PM »

Jesus Christ, just say "people". "Birthing bodies" appeals to no one.

Or just say women.

That wouldn't be inclusive to trans men or AFAB non-binary people.

Or my hamster who the pet shop told us was a boy and then he haves birth to six baby hamsters

So, not to contribute to the derailing of the thread, but.....Imma contribute to the derailing of the thread.

I'm gonna preclude this story by saying that I'm gay, for whatever that's worth.

A while back I came across a post on tumblr ( I know who uses that s***) from a girl who bred and sold hamsters. She set up a webcam and the hamsters had their own various social media profiles as a way to advertise her business. Every now and then she would notice that she had a gay hamster couple or two among her many, many, many hamsters. She would point this out on a vlog or an instagram post. It was all fun and cute until one day the trans community got wind of her hamsters. The comments this girl got....."HOW DO YOU KNOW THEYRE NOT TRANS HAMSTERS!!!111!!!11" "YOU DONT KNOW THOSE HAMSTERS' PREFERRED PRONOUNS!!11!!"  "YOU'RE A CISGENDERED ANTI-TRANS BIGOT!!11!"

Poor girl explained that she knew they were gay simply b/c they were male hamsters who exclusively hung out with and had sex with each other despite being surrounded by dozens if not hundreds of available female hamsters. This girl got DEATH THREATS.

As a gay man, I really don't like not being on the "side" of an unpopular minority group that the crazed "christian" right bashes for cheap political points, but a certain sector of the trans rights activists community really, desperately needs to stop acting so f****** insane. Their rhetoric is coo coo for cocoa puffs level bats*** nonsense.

Saying "birthing bodies" b/c "women" wouldn't include " trans men or AFAB non-binary people?"

JFC get a goddamn grip. The middle of country is nowhere near this level of pronoun and gender identity.....awareness or whatever it is they want.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 10:19:54 PM »

how the hell did we get from discussing abortion to arguing over the proper terminology of what to call someone who is trans and pregnant?
This thread is over 30 pages long. This is remarkably on-topic considering that.
Seriously the Georgia run off last year turned into Jon Ossoff gay erotic fanfic by page 15

Wait wut? Really? Damn I need to go check that thread out. He's one handsome guy.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 11:01:00 PM »

"Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make."

Yoda
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 05:31:56 AM »

The people who leaked this need to be arrested and throw in prison for years

For what crime?

For leaking the address of supremes court justices . The police also should be sent to clear that neighborhood out

Your side may get its way in overturning Roe, but you don't get to overturn the First Amendment as well. That would invite war.

This is undermining the free and fair judicial process, and clear example of intimidation

Where do you stand on Jan. 6th protesters being put in jail?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 05:43:26 AM »

Since when is a person's address classified material and above the level for people to protest? Just say you want a new restriction on First Amendment rights.

No I think they have all the right to protest but a large group of people descending on your neighborhood could absolutely intimidate the justices into making a decision which would undermine the judicial process.

I will say this the national guard should be sent in to protect their homes to ensure these protesters can’t step a foot on private property

LMAO. Well we finally know what republicans think the National Guard exists for, as they clearly don't believe the Guard should be used to protect the US Capitol building from violent terrorists. No sir, they are there to protect judges who perjured themselves during confirmation hearings from ever having to experience protesters exercise their first amendment rights. Come to think of it, shouldn't Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barett be jailed for perjury?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 05:49:42 AM »

Were these home addresses previously a secret? That seems unlikely. You can find anyone's home address within a few minutes if you know what to Google.

Now, is it appropriate to go do a protest in a neighborhood? Not really. It's disrespectful to the other people living nearby. But is it a "leak" ? Is a 1/6-level incitement of violence? Please...

Anecdotal, but I saw a twitter thread where someone at the protests said that Kavanaugh's own neighbors were claiming responsibility for having organized the protest. If true, would seem to somewhat negate that argument.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 05:56:30 AM »

Goodbye Roe! This should have happened decades ago!

Why? Are you a female? Do you want the government telling you how to manage your body? Truly?

Or, if you are not a female, how come you think you have a right to tell women how to manage their bodies? Would you like the government to tell you how to manage yours? Truly?

Abortion is legalized murder. Why are you pro-murder?

This "logic" rests upon the belief that a fetus - or an even tinier clump of cells - is a person. There are about a million miscarriages in the US per year. Have you ever been to a funeral for a miscarried fetus? Ever even hear of one happening in your entire life? Eagerly awaiting your response.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 06:36:44 AM »

The people who leaked this need to be arrested and throw in prison for years

For what crime?

For leaking the address of supremes court justices . The police also should be sent to clear that neighborhood out

Your side may get its way in overturning Roe, but you don't get to overturn the First Amendment as well. That would invite war.

This is undermining the free and fair judicial process, and clear example of intimidation

Where do you stand on Jan. 6th protesters being put in jail?

Pretty much all of of us who dont think January 6th was insurrection nonetheless support prosecuting and jailing those who rioted and committed crimes. Fighting cops, breaking windows, disrupting a public meeting, all violent crimes. Not sure if all the justices live in VA but here it is illegal to picket a specific residence since thats also a menacing act.

Good to hear, but this is not what I asked. I asked if he supports Jan. 6th protesters being put in jail, ie the ones who walked around outside but did not violently enter the capitol.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2022, 06:38:30 AM »

Why? Are you a female? Do you want the government telling you how to manage your body? Truly?

Or, if you are not a female, how come you think you have a right to tell women how to manage their bodies? Would you like the government to tell you how to manage yours? Truly?

This "logic" rests upon the belief that a fetus - or an even tinier clump of cells - is a person. There are about a million miscarriages in the US per year. Have you ever been to a funeral for a miscarried fetus? Ever even hear of one happening in your entire life? Eagerly awaiting your response.

I know a few women who miscarried and were much more devasted than your dismissive response suggests.

You completely misread that if you think I was being dismissive of miscarriages and not his argument that "abortion is legalized murder."
Yoda
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2022, 04:32:33 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2022, 08:39:42 PM by YE »

Tell us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage without telling us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage.  

No mentally stable woman experiences a miscarriage thinks "oh well, it was just a clump of cells", and you're disgusting for suggesting that's the case.

I'm flabbergasted that you got that impression from reading that. I've had sisters and sister-in-law miscarry. No one could read that comment in the context of that conversation and reasonably believe I think miscarriage is no big deal.

Edit: Come to think of it, at least two cousins and a couple friends miscarry as well. I'm well aware of how it affects them. I'm also well aware that it never even occurred to the anti-choice ones to have a funeral. Ya know, like one does when someone is murdered.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2022, 04:37:02 PM »

Yes

Eagerly awaiting your response.

Cool. One out of a million. First time in my 39 years of life ever having heard someone claim to have been to one. My point is - obviously - that these would be exceedingly common events if anti-choicers actually believed that an abortion was murder. I've still heard nothing but feigned outrage and stupidity in response to this, maybe b/c the anti-choice people know that I'm right.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 06:00:19 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2022, 08:42:23 PM by YE »

Tell us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage without telling us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage.  

No mentally stable woman experiences a miscarriage thinks "oh well, it was just a clump of cells", and you're disgusting for suggesting that's the case.

I'm flabbergasted that you got that impression from reading that. I've had sisters and sister-in-law miscarry. You are either an intentionally offended troll or not very bright. No one could read that comment in the context of that conversation and reasonably believe I think miscarriage is no big deal.

Edit: Come to think of it, at least two cousins and a couple friends miscarry as well. I'm well aware of how it affects them. I'm also well aware that it never even occurred to the anti-choice ones to have a funeral. Ya know, like one does when someone is murdered.

I got that impression because that is exactly what you suggested within your own post. Perhaps you should proofread if you didn't want to sound like that, because it's clear I'm not the only one who saw it.

Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension. I was dismantling the absurd "concept" of fetal personhood, life-beings-at-conception and abortion as murder. How you try to twist this around as I somehow wholly disregard the pain of women who miscarry is literally beyond me. Acknowledge the possibility in the future that you are misreading something if it seems so outrageous would be my advice. I am not letting this asinine accusation that I think miscarriage is some trivial experience for a woman stand b/c I called some right wing idiot out on his claim that abortion is murder. You can feign outrage and play ignorant (or maybe it's not an an act and you just are) all you want.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 06:24:47 PM »

I just don't understand why this bill wasn't rushed through the Senate at light speed when Judge Salas' son was killed and her husband wounded almost two years ago. Can't quite put my finger on it....
Yoda
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 07:02:17 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2022, 07:12:59 PM by Yoda »

I just don't understand why this bill wasn't rushed through the Senate at light speed when Judge Salas' son was killed and her husband wounded almost two years ago. Can't quite put my finger on it....
The craziness of the Trump years passed by so quickly. Could you speak into more detail into this?

Sure! So in July of 2020, a guy disguised a delivery person came to the door of New Jersey Judge Esther Salas and shot her 20 year old son to death and shot her husband three times, who survived.

From an ABC article on the shooting about a year later:

"The alleged gunman was found dead one day later with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was identified by authorities as Den Hollander, who appeared once in Salas’ courtroom months before the attack. The FBI said he had a detailed dossier on Salas and her family as well as the names of several other people they believe Hollander wanted to target, including at least one other judge. In an autobiography published on his personal website, Hollander also disparaged Salas' ethnicity.

Now, one year after his death, which also marks just days before what would've been their son’s 21st birthday, Salas and her husband are advocating for increased protection for federal judges against threats.

Last week, Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., and Rep. Mikie Sherrill, D-N.J., reintroduced a bill called the Daniel Anderl Judicial Security and Privacy Act of 2021, which would “bolster efforts to protect the federal judiciary and safeguard the personally identifiable information of federal judges and their immediate families.
” "

Salas is an Obama appointee. The legislation referenced above was passed out of the Judiciary Committee, but I'm struggling to find any news of it having achieved final passage and being signed into law.

When this attack happened, McConnell was Majority Leader. I just don't understand how a democratic judge's family being murdered and injured is apparently less of a priority than a couple trump-appointed SCOTUS judges who perjured themselves in their confirmation hearings being made to feel slightly uncomfortable at their homes b/c they are going to take away a right from women. Of course, there are no buffer zones around abortion clinics - or the homes of abortion clinic employees! - as there are around the Supreme Court.

edit:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/2340/text

edit:

Still hasn't passed, and Judge Salas is renewing calls for it to be in light of the Senate's absolutely mad rush to shield conservative snowflakes from any kind of criticism

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/judge-whose-son-was-killed-calls-for-enactment-of-security-bill
Yoda
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2022, 07:29:30 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2022, 08:43:13 PM by YE »

I'm flabbergasted that you got that impression from reading that. I've had sisters and sister-in-law miscarry. You are either an intentionally offended troll or not very bright. No one could read that comment in the context of that conversation and reasonably believe I think miscarriage is no big deal.

I got that impression because that is exactly what you suggested within your own post. Perhaps you should proofread if you didn't want to sound like that, because it's clear I'm not the only one who saw it.

Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension. I was dismantling the absurd "concept" of fetal personhood, life-beings-at-conception and abortion as murder. How you try to twist this around as I somehow wholly disregard the pain of women who miscarry is literally beyond me. Acknowledge the possibility in the future that you are misreading something if it seems so outrageous would be my advice. I am not letting this asinine accusation that I think miscarriage is some trivial experience for a woman stand b/c I called some right wing idiot out on his claim that abortion is murder. You can feign outrage and play ignorant (or maybe it's not an an act and you just are) all you want.

Imagine not reading your own posts...

Imagine not comprehending my posts and throwing a tantrum instead of saying "my bad"...
Yoda
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 11:23:36 PM »

Republican Gov. Pete Ricketts of Nebraska said Sunday that he will call a special session of his state's legislature to pass a total ban on abortion if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade this term.

"Nebraska is a pro-life state. I believe life begins at conception, and those are babies too," Ricketts told CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union" when asked if he thought the state should require a young girl who was raped to carry the pregnancy to term. "If Roe v. Wade, which is a horrible constitutional decision, gets overturned by the Supreme Court, which we're hopeful of, here in Nebraska, we're going to take further steps to protect those preborn babies."

"Including in the case of rape or incest?" Bash asked. To which the governor replied: "They're still babies, too. Yes."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/15/politics/nebraska-abortion-ban-roe-v-wade-cnntv/index.html

"Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make."

Yoda
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2022, 07:10:07 AM »

Protesters outside a reactionary nutjobs house: "Call the National Guard!!"
Protesters outside a women's clinic: "Freedom of Assembly!"

I think there's a very large difference between protesting outside someone's residence, which we generally deem sacrosanct, versus a public place of business.

There is a distinction I'll Grant you. However, that's an ethical and moral distinction rather than a constitutional one. Regardless, the complete 180 flip that some extremely silly posters made regarding free speech over that relatively lesser distinction was at best comical, and at worst hackishly hypocritical.

This, and there's the fact that SCOTUS has ruled that anti-choice protesters have the right to protest outside of the homes of abortion providers' employees, which I've yet to see any of our blue avatar friends disagree with, despite the anti-choice movement having such a violent record.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 02:04:58 PM »

It's time for Democrats to play hardball; we can't keep being the nice guys while the GOP goes full Gilead.

We need to start funding programs to mail any woman who needs it contraceptive pills in red and blue states, free of charge.

Blue states need to pass amnesty laws that any woman who is prosecuted for exercising her reproductive rights will be protected in blue states.

Democratic Presidents must forthrightly lay out the case to the American people for the deterioration of the judicial branch since the Garland fiasco and go full Jackson. Weekly addresses if necessary.

How do you go Jackson on a decision that says the people’s elected representatives are the ones who will decide abortion law

The people have been robbed of their elected representatives.

The Republican Party's gerrymandering has stolen the ability of non-conservative voters to win legislative majorities when they make up a majority.

Wisconsin Assembly in 2018: Democrats won the popular vote by 8.24%. Republicans won 63 out of 100 seats. That majority was stolen by your party, with your consent. That legislature is supposed to reflect and enact the will of the people of Wisconsin?

Republican Supremes hand power to states where it is impossible for Republicans to lose power and pretend it is democracy. You clearly don't give a damn about liberty so long as you get your way.

Thieves and liars bringing the country to a violent boil rather than accept America's democracy.

They won by 1% not 8%

Also, if it's undemocratic for Republicans to win 63% of the seats in Wisconsin in 2018 while losing the popular vote, then why is it not also undemocratic for Democrats to win 62% of the seats in Nevada in 2020 while losing the popular vote by 5 points? Why is it undemocratic when geographic distribution favors Republicans, but not when it favors Democrats?

Which party voted in the House to ban gerrymandering at the federal level, and which party voted overwhelmingly against it? You don't get to b**** about this or pretend that gerrymandering doesn't overwhelmingly benefit republicans when you party is literally blocking the passage of a law that would ban the practice of partisan gerrymandering, and when 5 republican SCOTUS judges upheld gerrymandering and the four liberals voted against it.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 02:15:07 PM »

What the heck, this actually happened? I know it was out there and shouldn't be much of a surprise, though I still had hope it may not occur. Welcome back to the 1950s!

The only thing that really accomplishes is that poor women in red states can no longer afford abortions. If you make enough money, it's still possible to go a blue state or Canada. This is just cruel and makes no sense other than scoring political points.

Obama calls for activits to fight:

Why didn't Obama fight when we elected him?

He should have pressured Ginsburg to retire in 2013/14.

She and Biden-Collins voters in Maine at least deserve some blame for this as well.

He did. Ginsburg didn't listen. I was a huge Ginsburg fan, but her decision to stay on the Court is on her, not Obama. He literally had lunch with her where he said he was going to lose the Senate and she stayed b/c she wanted to be 93 years old or something before she left the Court. It's her fault. A tragic mistake that will undo a lot of what she spent her great career fighting for.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 08:34:28 PM »

Anyone here who is pro-choice but believes that it should be a legislative matter?

No. A woman's autonomy of her own body is a divine right, not one to be granted or restricted by any government.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies