SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:14:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113]
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101472 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2800 on: January 24, 2023, 07:25:13 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2801 on: January 24, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »

Please, keep doubling down!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2802 on: January 25, 2023, 12:57:11 PM »

Let’s make bankruptcy, divorce, homelessness, and being poor unthinkable, too! Basically make mercy something that has absolutely no place to society, or at least in government.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2803 on: January 29, 2023, 07:53:29 PM »

By now it's octupling down.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #2804 on: February 03, 2023, 10:28:12 AM »

It should have been a matter left to the states since the beginning...
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2805 on: February 03, 2023, 11:18:49 AM »

It should have been a matter left to the states since the beginning...

No.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2806 on: February 03, 2023, 11:21:09 AM »

Without Roe there probably is some national compromise under Carter or Reagan and we have French style laws on the issue and the issue would have stopped being discussed from that point onwards .

Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #2807 on: February 03, 2023, 11:24:00 AM »

Yes.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2808 on: February 03, 2023, 03:46:49 PM »

Without Roe there probably is some national compromise under Carter or Reagan and we have French style laws on the issue and the issue would have stopped being discussed from that point onwards .

But having French Style laws would also assume having some type of National healthcare, since regulating abortion as a healthcare " service " as the French do is well..... you know what I mean.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2809 on: February 03, 2023, 03:55:09 PM »

But having French Style laws would also assume having some type of National healthcare, since regulating abortion as a healthcare " service " as the French do is well..... you know what I mean.

IDK though you don't really see any politicians running on the first trimester nobody's business, but it should be banned after that position?  So far 1 state did that as an awkward compromise, in part due to judicial concerns (FL).

You have one camp that wants a 6 week limit at most and the other camp that wants it legal out to 24 weeks at minimum.  I don't think everyone just settles on 12 or 15 weeks without Roe.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2810 on: February 03, 2023, 03:59:04 PM »

IDK though you don't really see any politicians running on the first trimester nobody's business, but it should be banned after that position?  So far 1 state did that as an awkward compromise, in part due to judicial concerns (FL).

You have one camp that wants a 6 week limit at most and the other camp that wants it legal out to 24 weeks at minimum.  I don't think everyone just settles on 12 or 15 weeks without Roe.

My point was Roe was the best thing that could have happened to Pro Lifers, because it kept the issue as a " Privacy " Issue , aka Government stays out of Healthcare.

Once Roe was repealed, California was able to say There is an actual right to a healthcare service and, California was going to provide that right.

Slipperly Slope. The repeal of Roe has created a slipperly slope.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2811 on: February 03, 2023, 04:14:56 PM »

My point was Roe was the best thing that could have happened to Pro Lifers, because it kept the issue as a " Privacy " Issue , aka Government stays out of Healthcare.

Once Roe was repealed, California was able to say There is an actual right to a healthcare service and, California was going to provide that right.

It seems more likely to me that Roe going down is pushing the left away from their traditional advocacy of universal healthcare at the margins, in part out of concern for how that would be interpreted in a state-run medical system in pro-life states.  Also consider the new role of large employer benefits in funding travel out of pro-life states for employees seeking abortions.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2812 on: February 03, 2023, 04:17:35 PM »

It seems more likely to me that Roe going down is pushing the left away from their traditional advocacy of universal healthcare at the margins, in part out of concern for how that would be interpreted in a state-run medical system in pro-life states.  Also consider the new role of large employer benefits in funding travel out of pro-life states for employees seeking abortions.

That's also a good point.

But remember, that as of right now, the Democratic Party base is not that bad in terms of financial position. White Collar, college educated, more than not, affluent.

The Republicans if they're smart enough can push for a German/Swiss Style healthcare system with restrictions on abortion like most other countries.

Socially Conservative. Economically Left.

Christian Democracy.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2813 on: February 03, 2023, 05:45:10 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2023, 05:55:17 PM by Old School Republican »

IDK though you don't really see any politicians running on the first trimester nobody's business, but it should be banned after that position?  So far 1 state did that as an awkward compromise, in part due to judicial concerns (FL).

You have one camp that wants a 6 week limit at most and the other camp that wants it legal out to 24 weeks at minimum.  I don't think everyone just settles on 12 or 15 weeks without Roe.

It seems more likely to me that Roe going down is pushing the left away from their traditional advocacy of universal healthcare at the margins, in part out of concern for how that would be interpreted in a state-run medical system in pro-life states.  Also consider the new role of large employer benefits in funding travel out of pro-life states for employees seeking abortions.

But remember, that as of right now, the Democratic Party base is not that bad in terms of financial position. White Collar, college educated, more than not, affluent.

The Republicans if they're smart enough can push for a German/Swiss Style healthcare system with restrictions on abortion like most other countries.

Christian Democracy.

American conservatism is just fundamentally different from European Conservatism as our ethos are very different. America was founded on classical liberalism so its no surprise that American Conservatism is far more classically liberal than any other right of center party in the world

Ronald Reagan is far more representative of traditional American Conservatism than Konrad Adenauer. If you want to go back in the day, keep in mind in Europe Otto Von Bismarck was considered a conservative while in the US the president you could argue who was most like him policy wise, Teddy Roosevelt, was considered a progressive.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2814 on: February 03, 2023, 05:45:54 PM »

Roe is what set people in these camps though
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2815 on: February 03, 2023, 07:42:29 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2023, 03:45:19 PM by Person Man »

IDK though you don't really see any politicians running on the first trimester nobody's business, but it should be banned after that position?  So far 1 state did that as an awkward compromise, in part due to judicial concerns (FL).

You have one camp that wants a 6 week limit at most and the other camp that wants it legal out to 24 weeks at minimum.  I don't think everyone just settles on 12 or 15 weeks without Roe.

It seems more likely to me that Roe going down is pushing the left away from their traditional advocacy of universal healthcare at the margins, in part out of concern for how that would be interpreted in a state-run medical system in pro-life states.  Also consider the new role of large employer benefits in funding travel out of pro-life states for employees seeking abortions.

Christian Democracy.

American conservatism is just fundamentally different from European Conservatism as our ethos are very different. America was founded on classical liberalism so its no surprise that American Conservatism is far more classically liberal than any other right of center party in the world

Ronald Reagan is far more representative of traditional American Conservatism than Konrad Adenauer. If you want to go back in the day, keep in mind in Europe Otto Von Bismarck was considered a conservative while in the US the president you could argue who was most like him policy wise, Teddy Roosevelt, was considered a progressive.

As long as there is enough dynamism and mobility, that’ll be the case. At any rate, modern societies that are built around a system of unfunded mandates are doomed to collapse and burden its neighbors severely abhorrent and aberrant ways. How are you? Expecting an over regulated and underfunded health system to work exactly? The answer is obvious. Not very well. Come to think of it, it’s pretty much a decent reproduction of what’s wrong with India’s economy, and why it will never be a modern economy.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2816 on: February 15, 2023, 08:55:45 PM »

So that Trump drudge is going to ban abortion pills nationwide. Dammit. I think I might get sterilized, and I'm only 22.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2817 on: February 22, 2023, 11:50:28 AM »

So that Trump drudge is going to ban abortion pills nationwide. Dammit. I think I might get sterilized, and I'm only 22.

If the judge invalidates the regulation allowing for abortion pills, couldn’t the feds simply tolerate them them or just pass another regulation allowing them? It’s not like this judge can single-handedly designate RU-486 as a controlled substance.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2818 on: February 22, 2023, 07:12:18 PM »

If the judge invalidates the regulation allowing for abortion pills, couldn’t the feds simply tolerate them them or just pass another regulation allowing them? It’s not like this judge can single-handedly designate RU-486 as a controlled substance.

My understanding is it would restart a multi-year approval process that could stretch beyond the Biden administration, particularly if he loses reelection.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2819 on: February 22, 2023, 08:19:47 PM »

My understanding is it would restart a multi-year approval process that could stretch beyond the Biden administration, particularly if he loses reelection.

So it makes the legality of abortions at 6-10 weeks an issue in the 2024 election. Wonderful.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies