SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:20:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101483 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« on: May 02, 2022, 07:45:39 PM »

Absolutely horrendous, and the Court has just surrendered its last ounce of legitimacy.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:02:46 PM »

Absolutely horrendous, and the Court has just surrendered its last ounce of legitimacy.

Name the provision of the constitution where it guarantees abortion rights

Why are you challenging me to elaborate on an argument I didn't make?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 08:36:24 PM »

Well, that would be the only relevant, legitimate argument for your case.

For the record I do believe there is a constitutional right to an abortion, but when I said "legitimacy" I meant that this decision was motivated by political belief rather than jurisprudence, which is made abundantly clear when reading through the draft.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 08:40:16 PM »

The political fallout of this will be fascinating

Don’t worry MSNBC will switch their outrage once DeSantis signs another bill

This is a moronic statement.

Nobody cares about the Texas bill anymore

Not everyone has the attention span of a fruit fly.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »

Well, that would be the only relevant, legitimate argument for your case.

For the record I do believe there is a constitutional right to an abortion, but when I said "legitimacy" I meant that this decision was motivated by political belief rather than jurisprudence, which is made abundantly clear when reading through the draft.

True, though it just so happens that here Alito's bias and prejudice accidentally led him to the correct conclusion.

(The constitutionality of this is a separate debate, which I'm more than happy to have with you in DMs so we don't clutter this page.)

Even if you agree with the legal outcome, wouldn't you agree that Alito's motivations here at least make this ruling somewhat illegitimate? What happens when he uses his bias and prejudice to make a ruling you think is unconstitutional? Him "getting it right" (which as I said I don't agree with) doesn't make the outcome less illegitimate. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 08:51:00 PM »

So I got a question if Lawrence were to be overturned would that make all that stuff illegal or would it just be between homosexuals in states where laws are on the books.

I think it would depend on how the opinion was written, but in all likelihood it would be the latter.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 08:52:27 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »

This is extremely disgusting even for conservatives.

Page 30.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 09:06:31 PM »

The support for court packing probably just shot up.

Good thing you guys won’t have a trifecta for the rest of the decade

My guy, I would not be so confident. Republicans may have just shot themselves in the foot for November.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:04 PM »

8 pages on this in two hours and real issues like inflation are lucky to get two

Sad!

1 in 4 women will have an abortion by age 45.

Whether you personally care about it or not, abortion is very much a real issue.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 10:01:34 PM »

I am a woman. My opinion on the issue has more value than yours.

You don't actually believe this, you're just parroting what you've seen some pro-choice women say to pro-life men as an attempt to "own" him.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 10:05:44 PM »

I am a woman. My opinion on the issue has more value than yours.

You don't actually believe this, you're just parroting what you've seen some pro-choice women say to pro-life men as an attempt to "own" him.

You don't get to say what I do or do not believe in. Nor do you know me well enough to have a valid argument here.

I am absolutely allowed to suggest that you're arguing in bad faith, which I believe you are doing.

Forgive me if I don't buy that one of the most reactionary users on this site believes in the idea that your identity bolsters your argument.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 10:16:10 PM »

It's not a woman's autonomy that is of primary concern here, it's the autonomy of the defenseless unborn child.

Hypothetical scenario: a fertility clinic is on fire, and the firefighters only have time to go into one room before the building collapses: room A, where there is one 30-year-old doctor, or room B, where there are fertilized eggs in test tubes.

Who should the firefighters save?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 10:19:36 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2022, 10:24:59 PM by Ferguson97 »

Wow, did Alito know about this before he wrote the draft? He should have included this, it would have made it an open and shut case. The liberals would have had zero recourse!

Sorry but no, the colloquial usage of 'child' in certain contexts does not mean that a fetus is a living human being in a biological, ethical, or legal sense.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 10:24:35 PM »

Wow, did Alito know about this before he wrote the draft? He should have included this, it would have made it an open and shut case. The liberals would have had zero recourse!

Sorry but no, the colloquial usage of 'child' in certain contexts does not mean that a fetus is a living human being in a biological, ethical, or legal sense.

Claiming that a fetus is not a living being in a biological sense is science denial.

You're right, I should have said human being.

A fetus is not a human being in any meaningful sense of the word.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 10:27:07 PM »

It's a human being because it's the offspring of two human beings. Once again, you are denying science.

You sincerely have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you think it's a human being the second the eggs are fertilized?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 10:30:28 PM »

It's a human being because it's the offspring of two human beings. Once again, you are denying science.

You sincerely have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you think it's a human being the second the eggs are fertilized?

What makes them not human? Is their DNA not human? Are they not made of human cells? Are they not the product of human reproduction?

So that's a "yes".

I need to know: do you view a woman taking a morning-after pill to be equivalent to shooting and killing someone?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 10:46:59 PM »

You have to be a certain level of wealthy to consider this an important issue

That's almost the exact opposite of the truth.

Rich women will be able to fly to New York and California to get abortions. Working class women will be out of luck.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 10:56:35 PM »

You have to be a certain level of wealthy to consider this an important issue

That's almost the exact opposite of the truth.

Rich women will be able to fly to New York and California to get abortions. Working class women will be out of luck.

A pity, then, to be rich. "Amen I say to you, they have received their reward".

I don't know what you're trying to say here.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 11:19:13 PM »

18 pages? lol

And all the wishcasting about how it's going to dramatically help Democrats is unbelievably naive. Maybe it's the Democrat's Kavanaugh and it juices them up, but now court-packing and filibuster abolition is going to become a litmus test all over the country (if this is actually the result). Good luck getting independents to vote for you on that.

I for one, find it disgusting that it's even possible to "leak" a future SC decision in order to intimidate the court into doing exactly what they want (which is what this is, no doubt). The court's integrity is on the line, not because they might overrule Roe, but if they buckle to social/political pressure in response to this leak.

If you feel more strongly about the leak than the court decision, you are a fundamentally unserious person.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »

If Democrats theoretically have the authority to codify Roe into national law and override state law, then what's to stop Republicans from banning abortion nationwide the next time they have a trifecta? Is abortion just going to be banned nationwide in 2025/2029?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 10:24:21 AM »

God he's such a creep

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 01:34:02 PM »

Wow, The Young Turks are dissatisfied with the Democratic Party? This is a game-changer.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »

Wow, The Young Turks are dissatisfied with the Democratic Party? This is a game-changer.
They have basically told people to vote democratic in the general elections before but this time Ana is basically saying she has given up on congress and Cenk is asking them to stop donating .

You massively overstate their influence.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2022, 04:11:05 PM »

THIS DOESN'T HELP, PLEASE SHUT THE F[INKS] UP WITH THIS TYPE OF LANGUAGE AT A TIME LIKE THIS

The people who use this kind of language are pretty out-of-touch (don't disagree with the sentiment at all, but they should just say 'people') but the people who freak out about it are similarly out-of-touch.

I actually do agree with the perspective that "birthing bodies" is very a dehumanizing term, but I just can't help but notice that the loudest critics seem to be more bothered by the thought of inclusivity than the term itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies