SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:09:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 102537 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: June 24, 2022, 03:26:24 PM »

So if you want an interesting gauge on public opinion for this and how it might impact elections directly, look toward Kansas. A couple years ago the Kansas Supreme Court issued their own state level Roe v. Wade equivalent decision. So the Legislature pushed for and passed a constitutional amendment that would state explicitly there is no right to an abortion in the Kansas Constitution. It would not ban abortion itself, just leave the option open. It's being voted on the same date as the primary, I think in August.

Kansas is obviously a pretty conservative state, but with the sort of backlash we've seen it may fail even there. Also since it's not a vote on banning abortion but simply making that an option, it's basically a vote just on the issue and not on any specific proposal.

One thing's for sure, it's pretty important that it fails because look at a map. Kansas could be the only "haven" for a very large area.
I have been looking for opinion polls about this for a while. Are there any?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1651 on: June 24, 2022, 03:26:54 PM »

Interesting that the US markets appeared to respond very positively to this decision.  They are up about 3% today across the board.  I wonder what is predictions about the implications of this are underlying that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1652 on: June 24, 2022, 03:27:42 PM »

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

LOL. Considering the quality of such comments this is obviously no loss. However Facebook and Twitter are obviously no improvement.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #1653 on: June 24, 2022, 03:28:41 PM »

Cheaper than pay maternity benefits.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1654 on: June 24, 2022, 03:28:45 PM »

Interesting that the US markets appeared to respond very positively to this decision.  They are up about 3% today across the board.  I wonder what is predictions about the implications of this are underlying that.
Correlation =/= causation
Omega21

« Reply #1655 on: June 24, 2022, 03:29:58 PM »

As most Europeans, I'm for < 3 Month abortions.

However, I do think people are overreacting (talking about the "I need to take a day off, and the "shaking rn" crowd). All this says is that abortion isn't constitutionally protected. Most states will continue to allow it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1656 on: June 24, 2022, 03:30:26 PM »

I will not be doing any moderation on this thread, unlike Clarence Thomas I know when to recuse myself, there is no way in hell I can objectively do my job here.
Either way, people knew this was gonna happen and need to be responsible for. Whatever happens, it’s on them. Go have a beer. I bet that’s what Kavanaugh is doing right now.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1657 on: June 24, 2022, 03:32:28 PM »

However, I do think people are overreacting (talking about the "I need to take a day off, and the "shaking rn" crowd). All this says is that abortion isn't constitutionally protected. Most states will continue to allow it.

lol at the bolded
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1658 on: June 24, 2022, 03:32:45 PM »

What the heck, this actually happened? I know it was out there and shouldn't be much of a surprise, though I still had hope it may not occur. Welcome back to the 1950s!

The only thing that really accomplishes is that poor women in red states can no longer afford abortions. If you make enough money, it's still possible to go a blue state or Canada. This is just cruel and makes no sense other than scoring political points.

Obama calls for activits to fight:

Why didn't Obama fight when we elected him?

He should have pressured Ginsburg to retire in 2013/14.

She and Biden-Collins voters in Maine at least deserve some blame for this as well.

He did. Ginsburg didn't listen. I was a huge Ginsburg fan, but her decision to stay on the Court is on her, not Obama. He literally had lunch with her where he said he was going to lose the Senate and she stayed b/c she wanted to be 93 years old or something before she left the Court. It's her fault. A tragic mistake that will undo a lot of what she spent her great career fighting for.
She should have retired but it also doesn’t matter.
Court packing is the only thing that will fix the American judiciary after 2016 and it’s been preemptively ruled out because high minded principles of fairness demand that we live under the arbitrary rule of John Roberts.
Omega21

« Reply #1659 on: June 24, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »

lol at the bolded

Don't quite understand what you mean?

You think abortion will be fully outlawed in 25+ states?
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #1660 on: June 24, 2022, 03:34:45 PM »

US needs a new motto.

"In theory, this system looks amazing."
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1661 on: June 24, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »

This isn't going to have an impact on the midterms, it will be forgotten about within two weeks.

Spoken like a man who has never had sex before.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1662 on: June 24, 2022, 03:38:18 PM »

Dane County DA will not enforce Wisconsin's ban.

Won't a lot of these bans be mostly ineffective since most cities have Democratic DAs who aren't going to enforce any bans?

Angel of Death
« Reply #1663 on: June 24, 2022, 03:38:51 PM »

Anyone here who is pro-choice but believes that it should be a legislative matter?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1664 on: June 24, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »

lol at the bolded

A solid 10-15, with another 5 or so getting questionably close. The next few years will not be pretty for reproductive health.

Federally we'll eventually settle on abortions in the first 2-3 months + rape/incest/life of mother, though it will take at least another generation. Or perhaps we will reach a point where new forms of birth control eliminate the need for abortions completely and the issue finally goes away.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1665 on: June 24, 2022, 03:42:06 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 03:48:31 PM by Vice President and First Minister Scott 🇺🇦 »

lol at the bolded

Depends. If the GOP regains their trifectas in several states, and/or defeats the sitting AG in Wisconsin, there will be more restrictions for sure.

But I've given up on making predictions. What I'm confident about is that today is not the final word on abortion, we will be hearing about it through November and beyond, Biden is in the process of preparing executive orders to do what he can do in his power, and in August there is a ballot initiative to bar abortion protections from the Constitution (it wouldn't ban abortion, but it would return the issue to the legislature and if the GOP regains the trifecta in November, banning abortion will be one of their first priorities).

It will be interesting to see where that referendum in Kansas goes. But today's news will absolutely boost turnout from the pro-choice side there and neither result would surprise me.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #1666 on: June 24, 2022, 03:42:37 PM »

Anyone here who is pro-choice but believes that it should be a legislative matter?

If Congress really wanted to they could easily create a Constitutionally sound law protecting abortion. It’s obviously not going to happen now but it could down the road.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1667 on: June 24, 2022, 03:42:59 PM »

Um...wow. This was unexpected.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1668 on: June 24, 2022, 03:45:08 PM »

Um...wow. This was unexpected.

Not unexpected really, he's been functionally pro choice for years.

In any case this is a disgraceful, disgusting ruling from a crooked increasingly reactionary body. And the far-right organizational effort behind this is just getting started. Massive threat to free society. Horrific.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1669 on: June 24, 2022, 03:46:12 PM »

No because Roe is a part of a large body of jurisprudence around substantive due process that underpins several landmark cases. EG Griswold, Lawerence, Obergefell

But the point is moot anyway because we don’t have a functioning legislative branch.
Omega21

« Reply #1670 on: June 24, 2022, 03:47:02 PM »

lol at the bolded

A solid 10-15, with another 5 or so getting questionably close. The next few years will not be pretty for reproductive health.

Federally we'll eventually settle on abortions in the first 2-3 months + rape/incest/life of mother, though it will take at least another generation. Or perhaps we will reach a point where new forms of birth control eliminate the need for abortions completely and the issue finally goes away.

This is the only sane position anyway. 3/4 Months is plenty to get it done.

Allowing Late-term abortions w/o medical reasons is insane.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1671 on: June 24, 2022, 03:47:44 PM »

Actually this is far more unexpected than Casey (even if it's a pretty milquetoast statement):

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1672 on: June 24, 2022, 03:50:50 PM »

Actually this is far more unexpected than Casey (even if it's a pretty milquetoast statement):

He won’t do a damn thing about it, so he can shove his statement the same place Princess CrossFit puts hers
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #1673 on: June 24, 2022, 03:51:50 PM »

Ain't no way these moderate senators that voted to confirm Kavanaugh genuinely believed what he said about Roe being settled law....
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #1674 on: June 24, 2022, 03:53:31 PM »

There is absolutely zero chance that there is any violence against churches or Christians in the wake of this decision.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies