SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:49:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 106228 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: June 24, 2022, 01:12:11 PM »

Florida is kind of an interesting case because it has a ton of cheap flights to places like New York, Chicago and California. So not much it can do to keep women from heading out to there.

Of course that's really only convenient for women in South Florida, Orlando and the Tampa Bay area. Out in rural Florida that's still a hassle.

Florida also has an explicit right to privacy in the state constitution, which is probably encouraging restraint.

Arizona also only did 15 weeks so far despite an R trifecta, probably due to the significant libertarian influence there.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1576 on: June 24, 2022, 01:13:49 PM »

How far from the coastline could an abortion boat (à la Women on Waves) operate without being within the jurisdiction of a U.S. state?

200 miles. My guess is that it would only really work for Texas but then again, I think Nuevo Laredo has legalized abortion sooo...

Nope.  It's 3 nautical miles (a nautical mile is about 15% larger than a statute mile), except for Texas, the Gulf Coast of Florida, and Puerto Rico, where it's 9 nautical miles.

https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/oceancommission/documents/full_color_rpt/03a_primer.pdf
I guess the 200 is for federal waters only.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1577 on: June 24, 2022, 01:13:51 PM »

It's obvious from context that Mr. Reactionary is talking about legal justifications for these rulings and not whether the outcomes constitute good policies in themselves.

He is being dishonest. He does not care about the legal justification, he opposes the outcomes.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1578 on: June 24, 2022, 01:14:54 PM »

Woke capitalism for the win?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1579 on: June 24, 2022, 01:19:45 PM »

A nice touch but people who work for JPMorgan Chase aren't really the people for whom such travel would be economically unviable.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1580 on: June 24, 2022, 01:20:45 PM »

Anyone who supports this ruling must now adopt all the babies which result from unwanted pregnancies.

Own the decision with the same vigor you have in praising it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1581 on: June 24, 2022, 01:29:03 PM »

What the heck, this actually happened? I know it was out there and shouldn't be much of a surprise, though I still had hope it may not occur. Welcome back to the 1950s!

The only thing that really accomplishes is that poor women in red states can no longer afford abortions. If you make enough money, it's still possible to go a blue state or Canada. This is just cruel and makes no sense other than scoring political points.

Obama calls for activits to fight:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1582 on: June 24, 2022, 01:33:01 PM »

Shared on Facebook.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1583 on: June 24, 2022, 01:33:45 PM »

What the heck, this actually happened? I know it was out there and shouldn't be much of a surprise, though I still had hope it may not occur. Welcome back to the 1950s!

The only thing that really accomplishes is that poor women in red states can no longer afford abortions. If you make enough money, it's still possible to go a blue state or Canada. This is just cruel and makes no sense other than scoring political points.

Why didn't Obama fight when we elected him?

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #1584 on: June 24, 2022, 01:33:45 PM »

Anyone who supports this ruling must now adopt all the babies which result from unwanted pregnancies.

Everybody who supports immigration must now house all the foreigners which result from unwanted border crossings and visa overstays.

Own the policy with the same vigor you have in supporting it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1585 on: June 24, 2022, 01:34:39 PM »

A nice touch but people who work for JPMorgan Chase aren't really the people for whom such travel would be economically unviable.

I mean you know that the company isn't literally just a bunch of bankers and executives right? This would include bank tellers, janitors, etc.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1586 on: June 24, 2022, 01:35:38 PM »

He should have pressured Ginsburg to retire in 2013/14.

She and Biden-Collins voters in Maine at least deserve some blame for this as well.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1587 on: June 24, 2022, 01:36:13 PM »

I mean you know that the company isn't literally just a bunch of bankers and executives right? This would include bank tellers, janitors, etc.

I knew a lot of middle class and working class people, including women who worked in banking/finance in NYC. It's one of the biggest employers in the city.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1588 on: June 24, 2022, 01:38:57 PM »

It would be fun to start a charity to move as many women as possible out of right-to-life states just to see how they deal with having a weird gender ratio.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1589 on: June 24, 2022, 01:44:17 PM »

He didn't want to be viewed as the "angry Black guy" and cared more about his own legacy than accomplishing much of anything.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1590 on: June 24, 2022, 01:45:00 PM »

Dane County DA will not enforce Wisconsin's ban.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1591 on: June 24, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »

Nonsense.  There are thousands and thousands of employees there who are at best middle class.  Sure, they could probably get by paying for it, but it’d put a lot of economic strain on them.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1592 on: June 24, 2022, 01:46:51 PM »

Everybody who supports immigration must now house all the foreigners which result from unwanted border crossings and visa overstays.

Scientists have recently discovered that, unlike immigrants, infants are actually incapable of finding jobs and therefore need to be supported by someone. This is due to the fact that they are extremely small and are frequently unable to walk or speak intelligibly. The more you know!
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1593 on: June 24, 2022, 01:50:13 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 01:58:48 PM by Dr. Frankenstein »

Well, there's only one conclusion. That 235-year-old document you hold so dear is in dire need of a 21st century-worthy replacement. Preferably with a provision stating that you must revisit it at least once every few decades. And while you're at it, make sure your highest court cannot be populated by partisan hacks and that their tenure is limited to 10-15 years max.

I am afraid that the alternative would be an uncontrolled descent into total chaos.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1594 on: June 24, 2022, 01:50:44 PM »

Scientists have recently discovered that, unlike immigrants, infants are actually incapable of finding jobs and therefore need to be supported by someone. This is due to the fact that they are extremely small and are frequently unable to walk or speak intelligibly. The more you know!

Like the elderly. Or some people with disabilities. How far down that road do you want to go.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1595 on: June 24, 2022, 01:51:22 PM »

Well, there's only one conclusion. That 235-year-old document you hold so dear is in dire need of a 21st century-worthy replacement. Preferably with a provision stating that you must revisit it at least once every few decades. And while you're at it, make sure your highest court cannot be populated by partisan hacks and that their tenure is limited to 10-15 years max.

I am afraid that the alternative would an uncontrolled descent into total chaos.

I think for many, that's the point.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1596 on: June 24, 2022, 01:51:57 PM »

Solo opinion? In other words there's no political appetite to repeal ssm.

Doesn't make today any less despicable.

If you don't think that some deep south states were other far-right states like Idaho or the like will chomp at the bit to attempt passing laws repealing same-sex marriage to try to get OB p e r f e l l repealed, probably within the next year, I think you're being far too naive.

And all we have to rely on is the Hope, a 50-50 chance at best, that Justice Gorsuch will not distinguish his largely textualist decision MBA stock with the opinion he joined in Hobbs which, notwithstanding the Clarion call issued by Taliban Thomas, clearly lays a Legal Foundation for repealing o b g e r f e l l along with yes Lawrence and other cases
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1597 on: June 24, 2022, 01:52:08 PM »

I am afraid that the alternative would an uncontrolled descent into total chaos.

I think for many, that's the point.

But but Law and Order.

Oh wait....
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1598 on: June 24, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »

...you think there are a bunch of homeless immigrants in America? They came here to work and support themselves. Not at all the same thing.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1599 on: June 24, 2022, 01:55:43 PM »

Dane County DA will not enforce Wisconsin's ban.

Won't a lot of these bans be mostly ineffective since most cities have Democratic DAs who aren't going to enforce any bans?
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies