SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:46:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101526 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 02, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »

Maybe we'll hold the Senate after all.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 09:44:07 PM »

look I know mr x can be disingenuous but its obvious what he's talking about. As I said above, people in this thread are fear mongering about the SCOTUS using the same logic to overturn Griswold/Obergefell/Lawrence. That's absolutely concern trolling

Right, ERM is a spam bot who should've been banned long ago.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09:47:06 PM »

While this is obviously GREAT news, pray that the 5 Supreme Court justices in the pro-life majority remain strong until the verdict is official. Pray for the state governments around the country that will determine abortion laws in every state.

Pray for the hearts and minds of every person in this nation. Pray that the Church will be able to continue to stand for both unborn babies and mothers with love, Truth, and compassion!

But, most of all, I'm so happy that I literally just cried. I've been waiting for this day since January 2008 (when I first heard of abortion) and sometimes wondered if it would ever come!!

Why do you hate women so much?

He hates the constitution more. I usually don't like Handmaid's Tale comparisons but they actually do fit with him.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 10:51:06 PM »

Per wikipedia

When the United States became independent, most states applied English common law to abortion. This meant it was not permitted after quickening, or the start of fetal movements, usually felt 15–20 weeks after conception.

Can't we just default to this + life of the mother and call it a day? I think we had it right and started overanalyzing.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 10:54:55 PM »

Should be noted that this is another reason why the worries about Obergefell are overstated. Opinions on abortion have stayed relatively constant for the past few decades. SSM otoh is more popular every year. The court isn't going to ignore the public completely on such a matter.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 01:01:32 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 01:05:32 AM by Horus »

Our nation is moving backwards, while the rest of the world moves forward.

Pretty sure the Ukrainians getting murdered by imperialists and the Shanghainese cemented inside their tenements would disagree with your statement.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 01:08:01 PM »

Our nation is moving backwards, while the rest of the world moves forward.

Pretty sure the Ukrainians getting murdered by imperialists and the Shanghainese cemented inside their tenements would disagree with your statement.

I'm talking in general, over time (and most importantly with regards to abortion/women's rights).
Examples ... Mexico and Ireland.
There will always be wars/conflicts and Corona virus is a rare(ish) world-wide event.
Your "but Ukrainians" post is not as worthy as you believe it is. Please.

Well you didn't make that very clear, and your statement was a very broad Twitter level take.

I'm strongly against repealing Roe, but the idea that the rest of the world is just marching towards utopia while America is some garbage dump is not based in reality.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 04:17:30 PM »

THIS DOESN'T HELP, PLEASE SHUT THE F[INKS] UP WITH THIS TYPE OF LANGUAGE AT A TIME LIKE THIS

If you don't think it's helpful, why are you posting tweets from randoms?  She also lists her location as "Occupied Ho-Chunk Land". 

She's a state rep and people like her are the future of the Democratic party if we're not careful.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 05:27:18 PM »

Jesus Christ, just say "people". "Birthing bodies" appeals to no one.

Or just say women.

That wouldn't be inclusive to trans men or AFAB non-binary people.

Oh damn well. We're gonna have to sacrifice a tad bit of inclusivity to properly message this very important, winning issue.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 06:13:16 PM »

Jesus Christ, just say "people". "Birthing bodies" appeals to no one.

Agreed, but no idea why anyone who's ostensibly trans-inclusive would be offended by the sentiment of including trans people who can get pregnant.
"Bodies" is like the creepiest and least appealing term to use like that.
What's creepy is that you care on dunking more than randos using weird woke lingo than you care about what they're talking about, which is the war on bodily autonomy, which the Republicans you claim to despise are winning. People's lives are going to be negatively affected greatly not only by this particular attack on bodily freedom, but also by the assaults on Obergefell and Lawrence — assaults on which your primary interest is to dunk on people you think are hyperbolic on grounds of pedantic technicality — which you deny are happening, and you even hope that they happen because the hypothetical prospect of Democratic electoral advantage is more important to you than the lives of the people affected. Politics is a sport to you, all you care about is your team winning, and the people you're supposed to be on the side — women, LGBT people, black people — of are just props you can use to brag about your inclusiveness before disagreeing them as undeserving of rights or platforms if you think the language they use is weird or hyperbolic.

Funny you say this because you spend all of your time here concern trolling, criticizing BRTD and apologizing for Russia instead of focusing on bodily autonomy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 03:35:05 PM »

Everyone does realize that abortion bans typically are supply-side bans by shutting down clinics and punishing providers, not demand-side bans to punish mothers, who were mostly lied to and deceived by the abortion industry, right?

Absolutely, because government and law enforcement always go after the powerful institutions and not the easy targets. Of course. Why on Earth didn't I think of that?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 10:09:21 AM »

Trends matter, and SCOTUS is not immune from public pressure. Contraceptive use, ssm, interracial marriage etc. are all more popular and accepted with every passing year.

Abortion? That's been a tentative 60-40 split for a generation. The discourse has gone nowhere. Plus in the eyes of countless millions there are literally "piles of dead babies" in the back of every Planned Parenthood. Abortion gets people riled up in a way these other issues just don't, why would that special anger not extend to the conservative justices?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 07:58:45 PM »

Per Gallup, interracial marriage is approved of by 94% of Americans and 98% of Zoomers. If you think Loving is going anywhere please touch grass
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 09:24:45 AM »

Solo opinion? In other words there's no political appetite to repeal ssm.

Doesn't make today any less despicable.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 09:37:55 AM »

Why would it be surprising that Thomas wants to overturn Lawrence and Obergefell?  He dissented in these cases.

Yeah, I'm more surprised that Alito didn't sign on with him.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 09:44:22 AM »

Lol scotus overturned 50 year old precedent and still some of you are in pure denial that same sex privacy, same sex marriage, and contraception rights are threatened.

"Only Thomas had the opinion that Obergefell, Lawrence, and Griswold should be overturned, so that's good news" is the new version of "Roe is settled precedent and it won't be overturned. If you think it will then you're just being a doomer"

Abortion has sat consistently at 60-40 support throughout the past 30 years, so there was an opening. SSM is now at 70% support and rising every year, when it comes to under 30s support can hit 85-90%.

The idea that the court is immune from public opinion is laughable. SSM isn't going anywhere.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »

Lol scotus overturned 50 year old precedent and still some of you are in pure denial that same sex privacy, same sex marriage, and contraception rights are threatened.

"Only Thomas had the opinion that Obergefell, Lawrence, and Griswold should be overturned, so that's good news" is the new version of "Roe is settled precedent and it won't be overturned. If you think it will then you're just being a doomer"

Abortion has sat consistently at 60-40 support throughout the past 30 years, so there was an opening. SSM is now at 70% support and rising every year, when it comes to under 30s support can hit 85-90%.

The idea that the court is immune from public opinion is laughable. SSM isn't going anywhere.

Uh huh. I'll remind you of this message when Lawrence and Obergefell are repealed.
If even reactionary radical Samuel ing Alito didn't sign onto to the even more radical Thomas concurrence, no, they really won't be.

You've clearly already made your mind up and are unwilling to listen to reason, so there's no point in continuing this conversation. This is a dark day but that doesn't mean abandon all logic.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 10:08:17 AM by Horus »

Uh huh. I'll remind you of this message when Lawrence and Obergefell are repealed.
If even reactionary radical Samuel ing Alito didn't sign onto to the even more radical Thomas concurrence, no, they really won't be.

You've clearly already made your mind up and are unwilling to listen to reason, so there's no point in continuing this conversation. This is a dark day but that doesn't mean abandon all logic.

Right being rightfully concerned that my own rights are being threatened is so crazy and illogical. You are the epitome of logic and rationality.

Notice how none of these conservatives on the bench swore to protect Lawrence or Obergefell or Griswold. Kavanagh straight up lied to Collins.

But then again you're the purely logical rational one and I've abandoned all logic. You sound like MAGA atp.

What justices say in congressional hearings is neither here nor there, you'd be a fool to take them at their word.

Now, the opinions that they choose to co sign or not? That's how you read the mind of a jurist.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 10:14:16 AM »

Kavanaugh, the 5th vote to overturn Roe, opines in a concurrence in victim that the right to travel protects women traveling to other states to obtain an abortion. So at the end of the day, the practical impact of this should be limited, particularly if the number of states banning abortion entirely, as opposed to just after the first trimester, are rare.

Yeah, just screw the women in rural Texas who might have to travel over a day, or the woman in the Mississippi Delta who can barely afford to get to work.

Guess I shouldn't have expected a sympathetic take from someone who only left the GOP because the Dems in his area advocated an income tax cut or something.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »

So interesting that Democratic politicians suddenly talk about "women" again instead of "people giving birth".
Imagine thinking that matters.

It might. A social class unable to properly vocalise its identity cannot fight discrimination against themselves as effectively as they otherwise could.
I realy don't think the Birthing person think was anything mainstream, it was a weird medical term that got used by some politicans looking to score woke points rather than anything substanisal.

The ACLU is now saying "women and other people who can become pregnant."
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 12:04:57 PM »

This is so weird. I was told the Republican Party had moderated and moved on from social issues!

It's one of those great proclamations made by the op-ed-writing classes that just... never seemed true, even when it was supposedly happening? I'm struggling to think of some halcyon time in the mid-2010s when the mainstream of the American right suddenly cooled off on culture wars and it just never existed.

A Majority of Republican voters support Gay Marriage

The reactionaries running the court don't care, and neither do Republican politicians.

Then why didn't Alito and the Trump appointees sign onto the Thomas concurrence?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 01:44:17 PM »

What the heck, this actually happened? I know it was out there and shouldn't be much of a surprise, though I still had hope it may not occur. Welcome back to the 1950s!

The only thing that really accomplishes is that poor women in red states can no longer afford abortions. If you make enough money, it's still possible to go a blue state or Canada. This is just cruel and makes no sense other than scoring political points.

Obama calls for activits to fight:

Why didn't Obama fight when we elected him?

He didn't want to be viewed as the "angry Black guy" and cared more about his own legacy than accomplishing much of anything.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »

As most Europeans, I'm for < 3 Month abortions.

However, I do think people are overreacting (talking about the "I need to take a day off, and the "shaking rn" crowd). All this says is that abortion isn't constitutionally protected. Most states will continue to allow it.

lol at the bolded

Don't quite understand what you mean?

You think abortion will be fully outlawed in 25+ states?

A solid 10-15, with another 5 or so getting questionably close. The next few years will not be pretty for reproductive health.

Federally we'll eventually settle on abortions in the first 2-3 months + rape/incest/life of mother, though it will take at least another generation. Or perhaps we will reach a point where new forms of birth control eliminate the need for abortions completely and the issue finally goes away.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 07:06:33 PM »

Best messaging I've seen from Dems in quite some time, outside of Fetterman's Twitter and Warnock's ads.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2022, 01:54:23 PM »

What about this for a model law?

First 15 weeks: legal on request
Weeks 16-24: rape, incest, human trafficking, domestic violence, extreme poverty, maternal health, fetal anomalies, female is <14 years of age
Weeks 25-birth: extreme medical emergencies

States who wish to go beyond this time limit may do so until viability, and maternal health must always be a relevant factor. However, this federal model is the minimum standard.

Sounds reasonable. The ERs of the country would never agree to it.

To them, a raped woman must carry her rape baby. Victims of incest must give birth. It's sick.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies