SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:45:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103669 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2022, 09:04:15 PM »

This is extremely disgusting even for conservatives.

Page 30.

Literally "legal abortion proponents are racist eugenicists but we don't question either side's intentions."
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2022, 09:04:21 PM »

The support for court packing probably just shot up.

Good thing you guys won’t have a trifecta for the rest of the decade

If this decision actually is handed down I wouldn't count on that not happening. Republicans have pushed too far and as I said a lot of Trump supporters are pro-abortion. Overturning Roe vs. Wade is a risky move electorally for Republicans.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2022, 09:04:32 PM »

These people are fascists. Plain and simple.

Grow up
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2022, 09:05:37 PM »

Next time a recipe calls for egg, may I advise not trying to crack it on your forehead? Predictions like this only serve to make fools.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »

Compelling argument, theocrat.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2022, 09:06:12 PM »

Not to suggest anything but I do wonder if the Pelican Brief could become non fiction though for some other things
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2022, 09:06:31 PM »

My guy, I would not be so confident. Republicans may have just shot themselves in the foot for November.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2022, 09:07:49 PM »

So I got a question if Lawrence were to be overturned would that make all that stuff illegal or would it just be between homosexuals in states where laws are on the books.

I think it would depend on how the opinion was written, but in all likelihood it would be the latter.

Ok I’m chilling
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2022, 09:08:06 PM »

You all are literally calling Democrats groomers for disagreeing with DeSantis. Who really needs to grow up?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2022, 09:08:57 PM »

If this decision actually is handed down I wouldn't count on that not happening. Republicans have pushed too far and as I said a lot of Trump supporters are pro-abortion. Overturning Roe vs. Wade is a risky move electorally for Republicans.
The scheme to achieve this exact outcome was telegraphed years in advance, but the headlines will be shocking, nonetheless. Striking down the right to reproductive autonomy will have some serious ripple effects. Policing, surveillance, housing, immigration - all transformed for the worse. I expect this will stir up mass resistance from the two-thirds of the country who oppose this ludicrous opinion.

It going to make the Floyd aftermath look tame. Imagine a world where there’s a January 6th every week.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2022, 09:09:06 PM »

I believe in the 10th amendment
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2022, 09:10:32 PM »

And yet, Republican reasoning for this is couched in theocracy.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2022, 09:10:42 PM »

Frankly, you are the one who needs to grow up. Your entire persona on this website is fetishizing 2012 Republicans, yet here you are caping for a court that is one case away from overturning Lawrence, let alone Roe. At long last, have you abandoned any principled opposition to undue government intrusion into private life, any devotion to the separation of church and state that made this country great?
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2022, 09:11:27 PM »

With this decision, the idea of the Supreme Court being a non-partisan institution has been shot to hell. What a horrendous day for our country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2022, 09:11:57 PM »

Frankly, you are the one who needs to grow up. Your entire persona on this website is fetishizing 2012 Republicans, yet here you are caping for a court that is one case away from overturning Lawrence, let alone Roe. At long last, have you abandoned any principled opposition to undue government intrusion into private life, any devotion to the separation of church and state that made this country great?

Mitt Romney ran on overturning Roe
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2022, 09:12:24 PM »

With this decision, the idea of the Supreme Court being a non-partisan institution has been shot to hell. What a horrendous day for our country.
Remember that Alito is perfectly fine with it's reputation being tarnished.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2022, 09:12:55 PM »

Again, couched in theocracy.

What does that make you?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2022, 09:13:40 PM »

A hell of a lot of people who don't pay much attention to politics or the government are about to be blindsided by this radical decision. There are going to be major and immediate real-world consequences to this incredibly ill-conceived opinion.

Suffice to say that every decision based upon the right to privacy should now be seen as immediately under threat from this Christian Nationalist majority. Obergefell, Griswold, Lawrence, all of them are imperiled right now.

We need to expand the court immediately both to reverse this and to prevent further loss of our rights.
Expanding the courts is a dumb idea esp when the Republicans have firm control of the Senate. Like, what are you actually achieving?

The Senate is tied with the Democratic Vice President available to break ties. We would have to nuke the filibuster to get it done, but it is possible and I would say it is the correct thing to do when this rogue court is coming for our rights.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2022, 09:13:46 PM »

What does that make you?

I’m not even a Christian
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2022, 09:13:50 PM »

Truly an evil decision. We can only hope the fascist theocrats on the Supreme Court and their supporters get what they deserve.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2022, 09:14:21 PM »

So this is the current status of abortion worldwide.

So the states in red will join countries like Venezuela, Honduras, Libya, South Sudan, and Syria as entities which have abortion banned automatically when Roe is overturned.
BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2022, 09:14:40 PM »

The scheme to achieve this exact outcome was telegraphed years in advance, but the headlines will be shocking, nonetheless. Striking down the right to reproductive autonomy will have some serious ripple effects. Policing, surveillance, housing, immigration - all transformed for the worse. I expect this will stir up mass resistance from the two-thirds of the country who oppose this ludicrous opinion.

It going to make the Floyd aftermath look tame. Imagine a world where there’s a January 6th every week.

This is an embarrassingly bad prediction. Anything that could result from this decision will pale in comparison to the political events of Summer 2020, or even other events of the Trump presidency.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2022, 09:15:47 PM »

What does that make you?

I’m not even a Christian

Being beholden to the arbitrary culture war lines of the Christian right without even being a Christian is perhaps one of the largest Ls I have ever witnessed in terms of political ideology.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2022, 09:19:25 PM »

Republicans, have a look at how abortions were carried out in Ceausescu's Romania to see what's in store.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2022, 09:20:46 PM »

That's the thing I keep coming back to. For all that the appointments were problematic, the Roberts court in the Trump era has generally produced pretty decent opinions. Even when I didn't like them, they were seemingly objectively not bad law.

Overturning Roe alone would be a pretty steep departure from that, but if this, this thing from Alito I'm reading is actually a majority opinion from the Court, then that's been abandoned, the Court is finished, and our nation is about go from smouldering to burning over the next few years.

We shouldn't really be surprised, though. The United States was functioning far too well for something that has been assaulted so thoroughly by Donald Trump, who turns everything to ****.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies