SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:53:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101549 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2022, 08:05:26 PM »

Assuming this is legitimate, has there ever been such a leak from SCOTUS before?

Breyer was apparently so offended that his retirement was leaked that he almost went back on it. Also, over the past few years the outcomes of multiple cases have been correctly leaked, though I don't know about an entire opinion.

The answer to your question is probably 'no', no decision this important has been leaked, but rarely do decisions this important come around.

Didn't Breyer actually leak some minor case a few weeks ago?
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2022, 08:06:18 PM »

Absolutely horrendous, and the Court has just surrendered its last ounce of legitimacy.

Name the provision of the constitution where it guarantees abortion rights
Rape babies for 18th Century firearms.

I'd make that trade.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2022, 08:06:18 PM »

Absolutely horrendous, and the Court has just surrendered its last ounce of legitimacy.

Name the provision of the constitution where it guarantees abortion rights

Why are you challenging me to elaborate on an argument I didn't make?

Well, that would be the only relevant, legitimate argument for your case.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2022, 08:06:29 PM »

I'm not seeing any of this on many of the media sources... Politico but nothing else so far.  You'd think something this would be breaking news.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2022, 08:07:22 PM »

Assuming this is legitimate, has there ever been such a leak from SCOTUS before?

Breyer was apparently so offended that his retirement was leaked that he almost went back on it. Also, over the past few years the outcomes of multiple cases have been correctly leaked, though I don't know about an entire opinion.

The answer to your question is probably 'no', no decision this important has been leaked, but rarely do decisions this important come around.

Didn't Breyer actually leak some minor case a few weeks ago?
He alluded to the court's decision during oral argument -- don't know if I'd call that the same thing as leaking to Politico
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2022, 08:07:28 PM »

I'm not seeing any of this on many of the media sources... Politico but nothing else so far.  You'd think something this would be breaking news.

To be fair, the Court is 6-3 Republican. We kind of knew this was coming. As shocking and devastating as this news may be, it's not surprising.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2022, 08:08:11 PM »

Moronic prioritization of issues, but that's what we get for teaming up with Evangelicals to get our guy in office. Brutal consequences on the horizon for our country and for the Republican Parry.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2022, 08:08:34 PM »

I'm going to bet that someone connected to Roberts (though not Roberts himself) leaked it, since Roberts is likely trying to peel off one of the other 5 to contrive some ruling that keeps Roe in place, but allows a 15-week abortion ban to go through.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2022, 08:09:31 PM »

I'll say this. There are a lot of Trump voters who are not anti-abortion and they live in the Midwest. Whether or not that will make a difference in the midterm will remain to be seen, but it is worth mentioning.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2022, 08:09:55 PM »

What's odd is that leading stories tonight are the Met Gala and its atrocious fashions, not this.  I wonder even if on the day Roe is formally overturned, most people will really care.  It's probably important if you're very one way - very pro-life or very pro-choice - but I suspect a post-Roe America will have a tremendous amount of apathy about abortion.
kwabbit

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2022, 08:10:42 PM »

Would the Democrats be able put abortion protections in a reconciliation bill? It'd pass the House and probably the Senate honestly. Sinema would be yes, Manchin idk, Collins probably yes, Murkowski idk, Casey idk.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2022, 08:10:44 PM »

It should tell a lot about this opinion when it sounds more like a manifesto than a normal opinion.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2022, 08:11:52 PM »

What's odd is that leading stories tonight are the Met Gala and its atrocious fashions, not this.  I wonder even if on the day Roe is formally overturned, most people will really care.  It's probably important if you're very one way - very pro-life or very pro-choice - but I suspect a post-Roe America will have a tremendous amount of apathy about abortion.

I'm sure that other news outlets are waiting for independent confirmation.  I would too in their place.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2022, 08:12:29 PM »

Worth the imminent ban but f**ck the Supreme Court and  anyone who’s gleefully supporting this. You are selfish pricks. I hope you burn in hell, I’ll be happy to see you there.

Goodbye.

Well, I also expect the Supreme Court to overturn the death penalty...

oh wait.

Dignity of Life, and the Human person doesn't apply after one's born.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2022, 08:15:19 PM »

If the immediate pressure campaign triggered by this doesn't convince Kavanaugh to realize what conservatives are getting into with this & flip to join Roberts & the liberals, & this draft opinion does actually end up panning out as the law of the land, then this very well could be for the Democrats in the midterms what Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been for NATO.

And ISTFG, if Manchin & Sinema won't finally vote to end the filibuster, at least on a bill to just do a Lilly Ledbetter & statutorily codify Roe, then what good are they even for? We have to assume that we only have the majority for 8 more months. Use it, f**kers! This, if NOTHING else, is what it's f**king for!!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2022, 08:16:43 PM »

If the immediate pressure campaign triggered by this doesn't convince Kavanaugh to realize what conservatives are getting into with this & flip to join Roberts & the liberals, & this draft opinion does actually end up panning out as the law of the land, then this very well could be for the Democrats in the midterms what Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been for NATO.

And ISTFG, if Manchin & Sinema won't finally vote to end the filibuster, at least on a bill to just do a Lilly Ledbetter & statutorily codify Roe, then what good are they even for? We have to assume that we only have the majority for 8 more months. Use it, f**kers! This, if NOTHING else, is what it's f**king for!!

Manchin anti-Roe
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2022, 08:17:46 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2022, 08:19:08 PM »

Manchin anti-Roe

The one on the left is very anti Roe.

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2022, 08:19:22 PM »

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2022, 08:20:05 PM »

Well Manchin is pro-life. In fact he probably would have lost to a Republican in West Virginia in 2018 if he supported Roe. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about there.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »

With all due respect, if you really believe this then you simply have no idea what you’re talking about.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2022, 08:21:32 PM »

Goodbye integrity of the Supreme Court if this is at all true. Now blue states are going to have laws like gun restrictions overturned, and they'll just shrug it off. "Mr. Alito has made his decision; now let him enforce it." And, prosecutors and DA's across the country have already said they will outright refuse to enforce any bans. Abortifacients will be as easy to obtain as any other drug. Nice going, assholes.

Also, big boost for Democrats heading into November this year and 2024. Expect to see this covered endlessly, and the ensuing "unintended" consequences and horror stories.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2022, 08:21:39 PM »

Maddow said they've shown it to 4 former SCOTUS clerks who all agree it appears to be a legitimate work product of the court.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2022, 08:22:11 PM »

By the way is no one else going to discuss the fact that there was a leak at all?

Maybe its a liberal clerk trying to get Kavanaugh to face public pressure/bullying?

Maybe its Breyer?

Who cares?
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2022, 08:22:25 PM »

Well... Government class on Wednesday is going to be interesting for sure...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies