SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:09:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101537 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2022, 08:22:55 PM »

Roberts has egg on his face.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2022, 08:23:42 PM »

With all due respect, if you really believe this then you simply have no idea what you’re talking about.

Yeah, yeah, I know. The Constitution guarantees the right to privacy, which in turn guarantees the right to abortion. The First Amendment doesn't give you the right to shout "fire" in a crowded theater. The Second Amendment only applies to militias. The Commerce Clause means Congress can regulate family farms on private property, as well as the consumption of marijuana. Forgive me for questioning a century of wise and well-reasoned jurisprudence.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2022, 08:23:51 PM »

And ISTFG, if Manchin & Sinema won't finally vote to end the filibuster, at least on a bill to just do a Lilly Ledbetter & statutorily codify Roe, then what good are they even for? We have to assume that we only have the majority for 8 more months. Use it, f**kers! This, if NOTHING else, is what it's f**king for!!

Well Manchin is pro-life. In fact he probably would have lost to a Republican in West Virginia in 2018 if he supported Roe. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about there.

Joe Manchin is pro-Joe Manchin. He will do whatever enables him to exercise the most influence, flip-flopping included.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2022, 08:24:11 PM »

Alito's opinion reads exactly as if it came from a Republican politician. He even brought up the "most aborted fetuses are black" nonsense.

Say what you want about Thomas, but this guy literally doesn't have a judicial philosophy. He's a politician in robes.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2022, 08:24:40 PM »

Congratulations to coat hanger manufacturers, I'm sure they'll appreciate the extra sales.
Pink Panther

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2022, 08:25:48 PM »

Well... Government class on Wednesday is going to be interesting for sure...
Can relate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2022, 08:25:55 PM »

The political fallout of this will be fascinating
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2022, 08:26:30 PM »

Goodbye integrity of the Supreme Court if this is at all true. Now blue states are going to have laws like gun restrictions overturned, and they'll just shrug it off. "Mr. Alito has made his decision; now let him enforce it." And, prosecutors and DA's across the country have already said they will outright refuse to enforce any bans. Abortifacients will be as easy to obtain as any other drug. Nice going, assholes.

Also, big boost for Democrats heading into November this year and 2024. Expect to see this covered endlessly, and the ensuing "unintended" consequences and horror stories.

Not sure about this being a boost for Democrats, but I agree with everything else.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2022, 08:27:35 PM »

Gerstein says the opinion as written appears to swing for fences on overturning Roe. It is not a walk back or a soft pedal or a chipping away. The opinion emphasizes that is is limited to abortion only and the conclusions regarding privacy should not be applied to other areas like gay marriage. There are specific phrases and passages that show the handiwork of the 5 justices believed to be on board. There appear to be nothing in it to address Roberts's concerns regarding the integrity of the court.
EastwoodS

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2022, 08:27:44 PM »

House: Safe R -> Tilt R
Senate: Lean R -> Lean D

Oh, who am I kidding?
Safe R for both.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »

Pretty gross to see all the salivating from posters in here over this potentially saving Democrats in 2022 or whatever. A lot of people are going to die because of this, or have their life trajectories permanently worsened.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2022, 08:29:19 PM »

Alito's opinion reads exactly as if it came from a Republican politician. He even brought up the "most aborted fetuses are black" nonsense.

Say what you want about Thomas, but this guy literally doesn't have a judicial philosophy. He's a politician in robes.

Which is exactly why Republicans are hypocrites for crying about identity politics. They've used this argument for years and in this context it has no legal standing.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2022, 08:31:42 PM »

Would the Democrats be able put abortion protections in a reconciliation bill? It'd pass the House and probably the Senate honestly. Sinema would be yes, Manchin idk, Collins probably yes, Murkowski idk, Casey idk.

Democrats would have to kill the fillibuster to even try it, as it's not going get through reconciliation (no Senate Parliamentarian will agree to that) and other than maybe Murkowski, I can't think of a single Republican who would oppose a fillibuster of any abortion protection.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2022, 08:33:01 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2022, 08:34:20 PM »

Pretty gross to see all the salivating from posters in here over this potentially saving Democrats in 2022 or whatever. A lot of people are going to die because of this, or have their life trajectories permanently worsened.

Do we even know who it will help? It seems Kavanaugh helped Republicans in the 2018 Senate elections.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2022, 08:34:29 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 07:29:33 AM by brucejoel99 »

Doctors & nurses are gonna be murdered:

Meanwhile, a SCOTUSblog moment:

Shut the f**k up. At the very least, thousands, if not millions of women's lives across this country are now in complete & total jeopardy. Who gives a flying f**k if somebody broke the precious little justices' protocols, you f**king melt brains!?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2022, 08:34:57 PM »

Maybe Alito and Trump get made into saints by the Church? Does this count as a miracle? Anyways, yeah. Life is really gonna suck for millions of people now regardless.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2022, 08:35:00 PM »

Honestly, I'm happy this was leaked. F*** the Supreme Court. I hope this destroys the very little credibility they had left.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2022, 08:35:35 PM »

Don’t worry MSNBC will switch their outrage once DeSantis signs another bill
BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2022, 08:35:43 PM »

This thread is twitter-level discourse.

Anyways, finally, the only good outcome of the Trump Presidency has revealed itself. Good riddance to Roe and the dumpster fire of legal dogma that it was. I don't mind the political fallout of this since I don't care whether or not the GOP takes back Congress this term (though I'm sure talks of court packing from Congressional Democrats will prevent any serious change in generic ballot polling).
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2022, 08:35:58 PM »

Don’t worry MSNBC will switch their outrage once DeSantis signs another bill

This is a moronic statement.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2022, 08:36:24 PM »

Absolutely horrendous, and the Court has just surrendered its last ounce of legitimacy.

Name the provision of the constitution where it guarantees abortion rights

Why are you challenging me to elaborate on an argument I didn't make?

Well, that would be the only relevant, legitimate argument for your case.

For the record I do believe there is a constitutional right to an abortion, but when I said "legitimacy" I meant that this decision was motivated by political belief rather than jurisprudence, which is made abundantly clear when reading through the draft.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »

Maybe Alito and Trump get made into saints by the Church? Does this count as a miracle? Anyways, yeah. Life is really gonna suck for millions of people now regardless.

Millions of people are going to have the opportunity to live.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2022, 08:37:54 PM »

Bernie rushing to call for the immediate abolition of the filibuster to protect abortion rights in this country:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2022, 08:38:13 PM »

"Salivating"?  I think you're reading something into it that's not there.  Do you think people on a political forum should not speculate about the political effects of such a major decision?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies