SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:10:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101600 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »

The political fallout of this will be fascinating

Don’t worry MSNBC will switch their outrage once DeSantis signs another bill
Grow up.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2022, 08:38:45 PM »

Gerstein says the opinion as written appears to swing for fences on overturning Roe. It is not a walk back or a soft pedal or a chipping away. The opinion emphasizes that is is limited to abortion only and the conclusions regarding privacy should not be applied to other areas like gay marriage. There are specific phrases and passages that show the handiwork of the 5 justices believed to be on board. There appear to be nothing in it to address Roberts's concerns regarding the integrity of the court.

Huh? Alito is talking about reversing Lawrence!

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2022, 08:38:50 PM »

This is a moronic statement.

Nobody cares about the Texas bill anymore
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2022, 08:39:15 PM »

Alito's opinion reads exactly as if it came from a Republican politician. He even brought up the "most aborted fetuses are black" nonsense.

Say what you want about Thomas, but this guy literally doesn't have a judicial philosophy. He's a politician in robes.

That's almost every opinion from Alito. He's a right-wing Republican hack. I think I said before that I cannot imagine a worse Justice to have this opinion than Alito. Assuming that Roberts didn't go along with this, it was assigned by Thomas.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2022, 08:39:37 PM »

1. No 2. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2022, 08:39:49 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2022, 09:01:56 PM by Blue3 »

Honestly, I'm happy this was leaked. F*** the Supreme Court. I hope this destroys the very little credibility they had left.

Yeah.

How the heck can they argue the court isn’t political, when this is what they do within just a couple years of getting their 6-3 majority?

FDR pressured them and got them to change trajectory. This time a nameless staffer seems to be trying. We’ll see what comes.

But let me just say… how does it feel right in anyone’s heart to legally punish any person who gets an abortion? That’s where this will end up, in some states anyways. That’s what convinced me to be pro-choice. It doesn’t make sense for the law to actively punish those seeking an abortion.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2022, 08:40:16 PM »

Not everyone has the attention span of a fruit fly.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2022, 08:40:48 PM »

Grow up.

I’m not the one calling a decision that says this issue should be decided by elected legislators is anti democratic are calling to burn down the Supreme Court
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2022, 08:40:49 PM »

Isn't Manchin pro-life? Even if you could convince him on the filibuster, there's that too.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2022, 08:40:58 PM »

Well this is going to be a massive sh!tshow. Can’t say I’m surprised. Hopefully dems can use this to energize the base in the fall.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2022, 08:41:15 PM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2022, 08:41:24 PM »

I never thought they would actually do it...
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2022, 08:41:35 PM »

Absolutely horrendous, and the Court has just surrendered its last ounce of legitimacy.

Name the provision of the constitution where it guarantees abortion rights

Why are you challenging me to elaborate on an argument I didn't make?

Well, that would be the only relevant, legitimate argument for your case.

For the record I do believe there is a constitutional right to an abortion, but when I said "legitimacy" I meant that this decision was motivated by political belief rather than jurisprudence, which is made abundantly clear when reading through the draft.

True, though it just so happens that here Alito's bias and prejudice accidentally led him to the correct conclusion.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2022, 08:42:26 PM »

Manchin is not "pro-life" or "pro-choice" he is an opportunistic narcissist. That said he will obviously do nothing about this.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2022, 08:43:01 PM »

Pretty gross to see all the salivating from posters in here over this potentially saving Democrats in 2022 or whatever. A lot of people are going to die because of this, or have their life trajectories permanently worsened.

"Salivating"?  I think you're reading something into it that's not there.  Do you think people on a political forum should not speculate about the political effects of such a major decision?

Of course that's fine, but it's incredibly in poor taste when this is going to kill and immiserate many pregnant people. The evil and misery should be front and center in all of our minds!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2022, 08:44:18 PM »

Manchin is not "pro-life" or "pro-choice" he is an opportunistic narcissist. That said he will obviously do nothing about this.

Which is why Biden and Schumer needs to be clear that inaction by him will lead to removal of all committee assignments.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »

Absolutely horrendous, and the Court has just surrendered its last ounce of legitimacy.

Name the provision of the constitution where it guarantees abortion rights

Why are you challenging me to elaborate on an argument I didn't make?

Well, that would be the only relevant, legitimate argument for your case.

For the record I do believe there is a constitutional right to an abortion, but when I said "legitimacy" I meant that this decision was motivated by political belief rather than jurisprudence, which is made abundantly clear when reading through the draft.

True, though it just so happens that here Alito's bias and prejudice accidentally led him to the correct conclusion.

(The constitutionality of this is a separate debate, which I'm more than happy to have with you in DMs so we don't clutter this page.)

Even if you agree with the legal outcome, wouldn't you agree that Alito's motivations here at least make this ruling somewhat illegitimate? What happens when he uses his bias and prejudice to make a ruling you think is unconstitutional? Him "getting it right" (which as I said I don't agree with) doesn't make the outcome less illegitimate. 
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2022, 08:46:29 PM »

Anyways, finally, the only good outcome of the Trump Presidency has revealed itself. Good riddance to Roe and the dumpster fire of legal dogma that it was.
This literally is a political manifesto packaged as a legal opinion and I oppose Roe.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2022, 08:46:34 PM »

Which is why Biden and Schumer needs to be clear that inaction by him will lead to removal of all committee assignments.

Frankly the party shouldn't fund a single "pro-life" politician ever again. Free legal abortion or gtfo.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »

That continues to be how you get majority leader McConnell
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2022, 08:48:47 PM »

So I got a question if Lawrence were to be overturned would that make all that stuff illegal or would it just be between homosexuals in states where laws are on the books.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2022, 08:49:02 PM »

Devastating, but not surprising in the slightest. This is only the beginning for this Court.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2022, 08:49:09 PM »

A hell of a lot of people who don't pay much attention to politics or the government are about to be blindsided by this radical decision. There are going to be major and immediate real-world consequences to this incredibly ill-conceived opinion.

Suffice to say that every decision based upon the right to privacy should now be seen as immediately under threat from this Christian Nationalist majority. Obergefell, Griswold, Lawrence, all of them are imperiled right now.

We need to expand the court immediately both to reverse this and to prevent further loss of our rights.
jkmillion
Rookie
United States
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2022, 08:49:40 PM »

So I got a question if Lawrence were to be overturned would that make all that stuff illegal or would it just be between homosexuals in states where laws are on the books.

Think the GOP gave up on overturning Lawrence/gay marriage. They are going after abortion.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2022, 08:49:42 PM »

That continues to be how you get majority leader McConnell

Who would be happy to give Manchin some plum committee assignments to switch parties.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies