SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:05:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101562 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2022, 08:51:00 PM »

So I got a question if Lawrence were to be overturned would that make all that stuff illegal or would it just be between homosexuals in states where laws are on the books.

I think it would depend on how the opinion was written, but in all likelihood it would be the latter.
jkmillion
Rookie
United States
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2022, 08:52:24 PM »

A hell of a lot of people who don't pay much attention to politics or the government are about to be blindsided by this radical decision. There are going to be major and immediate real-world consequences to this incredibly ill-conceived opinion.

Suffice to say that every decision based upon the right to privacy should now be seen as immediately under threat from this Christian Nationalist majority. Obergefell, Griswold, Lawrence, all of them are imperiled right now.

We need to expand the court immediately both to reverse this and to prevent further loss of our rights.
Expanding the courts is a dumb idea esp when the Republicans have firm control of the Senate. Like, what are you actually achieving?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2022, 08:52:27 PM »

Well I think we should note that what this decision, and future insane ultra-reactionary decisions from this court, will mean that basically we will continue to divide into two different communities. Obviously Democratic-run localities will ignore their state legislatures on this best they can (good), and Democratic and Republican run states will have drastically different laws going forward.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2022, 08:52:27 PM »

BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2022, 08:52:49 PM »

Anyways, finally, the only good outcome of the Trump Presidency has revealed itself. Good riddance to Roe and the dumpster fire of legal dogma that it was.
This literally is a political manifesto packaged as a legal opinion and I oppose Roe.

I really don't think this will end up being the majority opinion. SCOTUS leaks rarely manifest into reality.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2022, 08:53:30 PM »

CNN now has the story (citing the Politico article).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2022, 08:53:43 PM »

(The constitutionality of this is a separate debate, which I'm more than happy to have with you in DMs so we don't clutter this page.)

Even if you agree with the legal outcome, wouldn't you agree that Alito's motivations here at least make this ruling somewhat illegitimate? What happens when he uses his bias and prejudice to make a ruling you think is unconstitutional? Him "getting it right" (which as I said I don't agree with) doesn't make the outcome less illegitimate. 

I will not defend Alito-- or for that matter, any Justice in the past fifty years. They are all slaves to bias and prejudice, as is evidenced by the fact that they so conveniently manage to find new legal rules and reasoning to justify the precise outcomes they desire. The true measure of a principled person is whether he is willing to follow the law even when it goes against his own policy goals (see: Barry Goldwater).

I only defended the legality of the outcome here. If this opinion is illegitimate on the grounds you name, then it stands to reason that Roe was illegitimate for the same reasons.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2022, 08:53:58 PM »

Anyways, finally, the only good outcome of the Trump Presidency has revealed itself. Good riddance to Roe and the dumpster fire of legal dogma that it was.
This literally is a political manifesto packaged as a legal opinion and I oppose Roe.

I really don't think this will end up being the majority opinion. SCOTUS leaks rarely manifest into reality.

This is not a "SCOTUS leak" like any other we have previously seen.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2022, 08:56:15 PM »

So I got a question if Lawrence were to be overturned would that make all that stuff illegal or would it just be between homosexuals in states where laws are on the books.

Think the GOP gave up on overturning Lawrence/gay marriage. They are going after abortion.

That’s why they are calling for gay people child molesters.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »

This is extremely disgusting even for conservatives.

Page 30.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2022, 08:56:52 PM »

Well I think we should note that what this decision, and future insane ultra-reactionary decisions from this court, will mean that basically we will continue to divide into two different communities. Obviously Democratic-run localities will ignore their state legislatures on this best they can (good), and Democratic and Republican run states will have drastically different laws going forward.
This decision essentially makes abortion a state's rights issue so it isn't really possible for state legislatures to ignore it
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2022, 08:57:50 PM »

This decision essentially makes abortion a state's rights issue so it isn't really possible for state legislatures to ignore it
I think you misunderstand me, I said Democratic run localities will ignore their own state legislatures. The state of Michigan for instance, has a trigger law banning abortion, obviously DAs in Democratic run counties will ignore this.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2022, 08:58:04 PM »

The scheme to achieve this exact outcome was telegraphed years in advance, but the headlines will be shocking, nonetheless. Striking down the right to reproductive autonomy will have some serious ripple effects. Policing, surveillance, housing, immigration - all transformed for the worse. I expect this will stir up mass resistance from the two-thirds of the country who oppose this ludicrous opinion.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2022, 08:58:28 PM »

This is extremely disgusting even for conservatives.

Page 30.
We now know that Alito supports fetal personhood by agreeing with a previous Thomas concurrence.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2022, 08:58:34 PM »

Imagine telling someone a decade ago Donald J. Trump would be the most significant figure for the social conservative cause in decades.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2022, 08:59:36 PM »

The support for court packing probably just shot up.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2022, 08:59:41 PM »

WWIII has begun. Completely shocking decision. I don't know what to say.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2022, 08:59:52 PM »

There's no way they'll uphold Biden forgiving student loans.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2022, 09:00:02 PM »

Criminalizing same-sex intimacy is next.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2022, 09:00:37 PM »

Criminalizing same-sex intimacy is next.

Maybe even federal sodomy laws.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »

The support for court packing probably just shot up.

Good thing you guys won’t have a trifecta for the rest of the decade
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2022, 09:01:55 PM »

These people are fascists. Plain and simple.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2022, 09:02:21 PM »

There's no way they'll uphold Biden forgiving student loans.

Who has standing to sue?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2022, 09:02:48 PM »

The Supreme Court has had no credibility since the Garland fiasco and probably earlier.

Have no doubt folks, the Republicans are using the court to establish a far-right theocracy, and I hate to say it, but the legitimacy of the 2022 and 2024 elections is now questionable too.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2022, 09:03:34 PM »

Believe me? A lot of people are going to get more than they bargained for.

Imagine telling someone a decade ago Donald J. Trump would be the most significant figure for the social conservative cause in decades.
How will DeSantis be able to go against Trump now that he can now claim to be the most successful Sectarian Nationalist since Prohibition?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies