Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:04:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 352801 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6675 on: October 04, 2023, 06:29:43 PM »

Still pretty consistent with now over 100K+

I'm guessing we are heading for another 2022 style result maybe?
Duke of York

« Reply #6676 on: October 04, 2023, 07:41:35 PM »

Still pretty consistent with now over 100K+

I'm guessing we are heading for another 2022 style result maybe?

what do you mean.? Are you saying Democrats win both chambers?
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #6677 on: October 04, 2023, 10:36:41 PM »

Virginia doesn't have party registration. Where are the numbers by party coming from?
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #6678 on: October 05, 2023, 02:22:57 AM »

Virginia doesn't have party registration. Where are the numbers by party coming from?

L2 is a data vendor. Partisanship is modeled from their data. They are widely used by political campaigns.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6679 on: October 05, 2023, 08:31:13 AM »

Pretty rich of VA GOP to complain about RNC not helping when Youngkin's PAC is basically sending them like $1M a day at this point

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6680 on: October 05, 2023, 08:50:35 AM »

Pretty rich of VA GOP to complain about RNC not helping when Youngkin's PAC is basically sending them like $1M a day at this point

Maybe they aren’t too good with money?
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #6681 on: October 05, 2023, 02:23:45 PM »

Btw, when the last time a single state legislative race received as much national attention as the Gibson one?

There was a special election for the Delaware Senate early in the Trump presidency that got enough attention to get its own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Delaware%27s_10th_state_senate_district_special_election
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #6682 on: October 05, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »

Anyone else get the Youtube ad with the creepy whispering saying that if you have any problems at the polling station to call some number? The whispering was bizarre.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6683 on: October 06, 2023, 09:17:33 AM »

Not sure why, but inner NOVA has dramatically lower turnout than the rest of the state so far.  Maybe VBM is disproportionate there and will come in later? 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6684 on: October 06, 2023, 09:26:07 AM »

Not sure why, but inner NOVA has dramatically lower turnout than the rest of the state so far.  Maybe VBM is disproportionate there and will come in later? 

I could be wrong but I feel like I saw something about some areas not reporting any VBM yet.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6685 on: October 06, 2023, 09:36:11 AM »

I could be wrong but I feel like I saw something about some areas not reporting any VBM yet.

I know this caused some head scratching in SD24. Newport News updated its numbers once every several days, but all the other counties did it daily, leading to a initially confusing picture.

But it also shouldn't be discounted that these are legislative contests. High-information inner Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria, will know their seats are uber-safe D.
Duke of York

« Reply #6686 on: October 06, 2023, 09:59:48 AM »

I think a number of those seats are unopposed so that could be a factor.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6687 on: October 06, 2023, 10:53:59 AM »

I wonder if the entire speaker ordeal hurts VA Republicans right now.

NoVA voters are on average more tuned-in to federal politics (it's a local industry in the same way that film is in Hollywood), but I imagine to most of these people the speaker ordeal is old news. If they've been tuned in to federal politics for more than six months, this shouldn't be surprising behavior at all.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6688 on: October 06, 2023, 02:23:19 PM »

And it is somewhat heartening that the partisan turnout is where it is even with DC not turning out yet.
Duke of York

« Reply #6689 on: October 06, 2023, 03:24:10 PM »

And it is somewhat heartening that the partisan turnout is where it is even with DC not turning out yet.

That will probably happen later in the month.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6690 on: October 06, 2023, 11:50:23 PM »

I wonder if we’re underestimating the possibility that results mostly converge with federal partisanship, and Dems win decent majorities (like 58-42 and 23-17). It seems like in 2022, Dems really didn’t run much behind Biden numbers in state leg races even in suburbs that saw downballot lag in 2020. Infact in places like Johnson County KS Dems won Trump seats in the state leg.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #6691 on: October 06, 2023, 11:53:59 PM »

Iirc early vote in 2021 was D +21 and E-day was R +13. 42% of the vote was early.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6692 on: October 07, 2023, 06:36:31 AM »

Iirc early vote in 2021 was D +21 and E-day was R +13. 42% of the vote was early.

I thought it was D+15-16. And the turnout trends were reversed with those numbers.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6693 on: October 07, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »

That was the last election that was still significantly COVID-influenced, so we need to be careful drawing comparisons.  In 2022, the early vote was smaller and more R than expected based on 2020-21, but more Dems turned out day-of than expected based on 2020-21, enough that the overall result was more Dem than 2021.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6694 on: October 07, 2023, 10:32:05 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2023, 10:37:22 AM by Skill and Chance »

I wonder if we’re underestimating the possibility that results mostly converge with federal partisanship, and Dems win decent majorities (like 58-42 and 23-17). It seems like in 2022, Dems really didn’t run much behind Biden numbers in state leg races even in suburbs that saw downballot lag in 2020. Infact in places like Johnson County KS Dems won Trump seats in the state leg.

That would put Dems just a seat or 2 short of winning everything Biden won in both chambers, which would be an astounding result relative to recent history.  Biden's performance was the all-time Dem peak in VA in a close national election.  Biden won VA by 10%, then Youngkin won by 2%, then House Dems cumulatively won by 3% statewide in 2022.

I'm coming around toward a halfway scenario where they win everything Biden won by at least 7%, which would be something like 22D/18R in the senate and 52D/48R in the HoD.  The polls we have seen so far all look like 2022.  Republicans can reasonably hope to hold the HoD and the probability of a tie (which cannot be broken without a party switch) is meaningful.  I don't think Republicans can reasonably hope to flip the state senate anymore.  They can get to 19 by winning tossups, but the final seat is just too hard.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #6695 on: October 07, 2023, 10:49:55 AM »

Even almost a year after 2022, I’m still in shock at just how well Democrats did. Arguably did better than in 2018 in several metrics (governorships, Senate, legislatures)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6696 on: October 07, 2023, 10:51:58 AM »

That would put Dems just a seat or 2 short of winning everything Biden won in both chambers, which would be an astounding result relative to recent history.  Biden's performance was the all-time Dem peak in VA in a close national election.  Biden won VA by 10%, then Youngkin won by 2%, then House Dems cumulatively won by 3% statewide in 2022.

I'm coming around toward a halfway scenario where they win everything Biden won by at least 7%, which would be something like 22D/18R in the senate and 52D/48R in the HoD.  The polls we have seen so far all look like 2022.

Additional reminder that the high-water mark for Dems in VA will never never be equivalent to presidential or other GE numbers without a complete landslide.  Rural African American turnout in the Southside has so far never matched the levels seen in federal contests. So some seats become harder lifts or just not viable targets. In recent years this has been counterbalanced somewhat by the most likely off cycle voters - politically connected NOVA suburbanites - becoming reliable Dems. But obviously in a year like 2021 when irregular voters surge that matters little.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6697 on: October 07, 2023, 11:00:32 AM »

I'm coming around toward a halfway scenario where they win everything Biden won by at least 7%, which would be something like 22D/18R in the senate and 52D/48R in the HoD.  The polls we have seen so far all look like 2022.

Additional reminder that the high-water mark for Dems in VA will never never be equivalent to presidential or other GE numbers without a complete landslide.  Rural African American turnout in the Southside has so far never matched the levels seen in federal contests. So some seats become harder lifts or just not viable targets. In recent years this has been counterbalanced somewhat by the most likely off cycle voters - politically connected NOVA suburbanites - becoming reliable Dems. But obviously in a year like 2021 when irregular voters surge that matters little.

Yes, for this reason, the Biden +7 Southside seat is being treated as Lean R while the Biden +6 outer NOVA seat is being treated as a tossup in the state senate.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #6698 on: October 07, 2023, 11:07:40 AM »

That was the last election that was still significantly COVID-influenced, so we need to be careful drawing comparisons.  In 2022, the early vote was smaller and more R than expected based on 2020-21, but more Dems turned out day-of than expected based on 2020-21, enough that the overall result was more Dem than 2021.
I thought in 2022, Republicans had really good turnout, but they did worse on persuasion.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6699 on: October 07, 2023, 11:08:18 AM »

Yes, for this reason, the Biden +7 Southside seat is being treated as Lean R while the Biden +6 outer NOVA seat is being treated as a tossup in the state senate.

Are you talking about the Stafford seat? I thought Durant was actually seen as a slight favorite there.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies