COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:23:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 358 359 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546736 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8825 on: January 05, 2022, 03:38:01 PM »

I could be wrong, but it seems like Omicron should burn itself out relatively soon, shouldn't it? Cases in South Africa are plummeting, and their population is way less vaccinated than the US. That combined with Omicron's mildness should be cause for optimism, right? Or is there a caveat I'm not aware of? It seems to me that post-Omicron life could look like June 2021. Hopefully it'll last this time.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8826 on: January 05, 2022, 03:40:49 PM »

I could be wrong, but it seems like Omicron should burn itself out relatively soon, shouldn't it? Cases in South Africa are plummeting, and their population is way less vaccinated than the US. That combined with Omicron's mildness should be cause for optimism, right? Or is there a caveat I'm not aware of? It seems to me that post-Omicron life could look like June 2021. Hopefully it'll last this time.

The cases will plummet just like they did this time last year, sure.  They dropped dramatically for the first half of the year in the US.  Then things will go kind of back to "normal" for a few months (but less normal than last summer because blue metros like Chicago, NYC, Bay Area, LA have now instituted additional hygene theater like vax passports that they have no metrics for removing).

Then, cases will go back up again.  People will freak out, and public health bureaucrats will say we need to listen to them and restrict our lives some more.  The question then will be, have the people wised up?  Unknown at this point.  We'll also have many fewer "fully vaccinated" at that time than we did last summer because the definition will change to include boosters, so there will be another reason to restrict normality.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8827 on: January 05, 2022, 03:46:30 PM »

The caveat is that ~90% of their population has already been infected (even before Omicron) and a lot of vulnerable have died. How good is natural immunity? Well, perhaps, it is better than 2 (two) doses. Perhaps, they were even more protected than US.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8828 on: January 05, 2022, 03:58:23 PM »

My KING is ALIVE

(The wailing from the overly-educated communists in the replies is particularly funny.)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8829 on: January 05, 2022, 04:00:46 PM »

My KING is ALIVE

(The wailing from the overly-educated communists in the replies is particularly funny.)

Hard to overstate how refreshing it is to hear a politician who'll actually speak the obvious truth and isn't either a anti-vax scamdemic gremlin (i.e. all Republicans) or a hysterical pawn of teachers' unions (i.e. far too many Democrats).
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8830 on: January 05, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »

Eric Adams is implementing a vaccine policy that is literally putting thousands of low wage workers out of their jobs, lol.  He is a total blowhard with no substance behind his words.

I know, I know.  The point is to punish the unvaccinated, so its fine.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #8831 on: January 05, 2022, 04:19:23 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2022, 05:09:48 PM by roxas11 »

GOP are so lucky, Biden won't follow Adams or Polis.

This is a silly comparsion

Being a local government is one thing, It's another to be a sitting president who has to deal with a mainstream media that is currently hyping up Omicron as the worst thing ever. I don't for 1 second think Adams or Polis numbers on covid would be as good if they were the actual president of the United States right about now because the media would still to be fearmongering over Omicron and blaming them for letting it spread

Do you know, what city New York Times is in? Adams gives press conferences and goes to different media everyday and calmly keeps hammering his simple, yet sane message.

But ,uh, whatever, keep defending Biden. Better for GOP, hehe, if he keeps doing his thing (hiding in the basement).

first off I did not defend anybody, so I'm not sure what the heck you are even talking about

Secondly You and I both know that there is a big difference between the level of media scrutiny that a governor or a Mayor gets compared to a sitting president. For example Sarah Palin got great press when she was just a governor of Alaska, but that all changed the second people saw her as being 1 heart beat away from being president had McCain won in 2008

Now if you want to believe this fantasy that Eric Adams would be getting the same positive numbers on covid if was the actual president during this current covid surge than be than be my guest but I dont buy it at all  

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8832 on: January 05, 2022, 05:19:00 PM »

Eric Adams is implementing a vaccine policy that is literally putting thousands of low wage workers out of their jobs, lol.  He is a total blowhard with no substance behind his words.

I know, I know.  The point is to punish the unvaccinated, so its fine.

They should get vaccinated! Problem solved! Thanks for reading
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8833 on: January 05, 2022, 05:52:16 PM »

CDC vaccine advisers vote to recommend Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 boosters for youths as young as 12

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices voted 13-1 Wednesday in favor of expanding the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine booster recommendation to include people as young as 12.

The new recommendation: "A single Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine booster dose is recommended for persons aged 12 to 17 years at least 5 months after primary series under the FDA's emergency use authorization."

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky must sign off on the recommendation for it to take effect.

The advisers made the recommendation after hearing research on rare cases of myocarditis and pericarditis in young people who have gotten Covid-19 vaccines and noting that many parents are concerned about long-term side effects of vaccines. They also considered that vaccine uptake among 12- to 17-year-olds has slowed recently and weighed the record numbers of Covid-19 cases in children amid a surge of the highly transmissible Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/05/health/cdc-acip-pfizer-covid-vaccine-boosters-adolescents/index.html
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8834 on: January 05, 2022, 06:03:57 PM »

It's not impossible that the surge in the US dies out more slowly. I'd look more at individual states, as the summer surge was pretty uneven depending on region, and occurred at different times, giving the national impression of one long continuous elevation in cases.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8835 on: January 05, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2022, 06:34:14 PM by Meclazine »

Novak Djokovic says he has a medical exemption to come into Australia to defend his Australian Open title:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-04/novak-djokovic-says-received-an-exemption-to-enter-australia/100738536

Not sure if this will fly.

Whether both the Federal and State Governments agree on letting people in for sports reasons is a grey area.

As predicted, the lack of political co-operation between State and Federal Governments for the ability of Novak Djokovic to defend his Australian Open in Melbourne has gone next level.

This has become political now with the Serbian President now involved. Novak is anti-vaccintation and will not reveal his vaccination status.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-06/serbian-president-will-fight-for-novak-djokovic/100740932
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59889522
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/05/tennis/novak-djokovic-australia-open-visa-spt-intl/index.html
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/novak-djokovic-denied-entry-australia-visa-deportation
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/5/australia-cancels-novak-djokovic-visa

'Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic may not be able to defend his 2021 title after his visa to enter Australia was canceled, Health Minister Greg Hunt said in an on-camera interview with local media Thursday.'

'Djokovic "failed to provide appropriate evidence to meet the entry requirements for Australia and visa has been subsequently canceled," he said.'

Novak is very liked in Melbourne and this will be simply embarrassing for the Victorian Government following a long list of 2020 and 2021 embarrassments in their inability to effectively manage COVID related issues.

(Photo Credit ABC: Tom Maddocks)
Fans waiting at Melbourne Airport this morning for Novak Djokovic.

Follow live:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-06/live-novak-djokovic-visa-reactions/100741054
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8836 on: January 05, 2022, 08:12:23 PM »

The NY mask mandate was extended to Feb. 1
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-covid-hochul-extends-mask-mandate-february-1-20211231-arkjjt3lcjhq3hnpo7uurebvpi-story.html
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8837 on: January 05, 2022, 08:15:06 PM »

Not surprising. I suspect Hochul is going to extend it every month for the next several months. Again, it is notable that all nine states (and D.C.) that still have a mask mandate at this point are under Democratic control. That's certainly a clear signal of how polarized the issue is now.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8838 on: January 05, 2022, 08:19:22 PM »

Not surprising. I suspect Hochul is going to extend it every month for the next several months. Again, it is notable that all nine states (and D.C.) that still have a mask mandate at this point are under Democratic control. That's certainly a clear signal of how polarized the issue is now.
There's a reason for my new display name
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8839 on: January 05, 2022, 09:05:24 PM »

Broke 700K cases today.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8840 on: January 05, 2022, 09:23:11 PM »

NY Republicans are just as corrupt as Dems. The state needs outside administration for awhile.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8841 on: January 05, 2022, 09:24:46 PM »

NY Republicans are just as corrupt as Dems. The state needs outside administration for awhile.
At least they wouldn't restrict my freedoms, to save a group of people who largely do not want the help
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8842 on: January 05, 2022, 11:21:46 PM »

Good news from South Africa:

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8843 on: January 06, 2022, 12:50:13 AM »

Good news from South Africa:

So basically it's less than a cold, and we're acting like it's the plague.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8844 on: January 06, 2022, 01:10:42 AM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/omicron-variant-may-end-up-saving-lives-infection-antibodies-spread-sick-covid-19-coronavirus-hospitalization-death-vaccine-11641153969

Data from South Africa continues to show Omicron is very mild and represents a possible lurch towards the final back-end phase of the pandemic.

So basically it's less than a cold, and we're acting like it's the plague.

This is no less an exaggeration than those comparing it to the plague and things like this help wrongly cast doubt on actual science showing it's milder. Omicron variant is about 0.2%--about double the flu, albeit significantly milder than previous variants. Were this "less than a cold" it would mean we'd see ~300k cold deaths per year given how prevalent it is.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8845 on: January 06, 2022, 01:15:13 AM »

Good. Time to impeach President Fauci and remove him from office.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8846 on: January 06, 2022, 01:34:21 AM »

He's not going anywhere.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #8847 on: January 06, 2022, 01:40:06 AM »

Well, it was day 1 of classes at the University of Michigan yesterday, and our quarantine housing is already 100% full. Literally hundreds of additional students have also tested positive but have no choice but to remain in their dorms (or other communal living spaces) because there’s no place for them to go.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8848 on: January 06, 2022, 02:08:39 AM »

This is a weird obsession you and others have, as if Fauci is literally the only health expert on the planet who would put out the present guidance. Suppose you remove him, somebody else in his place will likely be putting out the exact same guidelines.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #8849 on: January 06, 2022, 02:18:17 AM »

I know the last few years have left us traumatized in a lot of ways, but, uh.

Acknowledging global vaccine inequality and politicization of the pandemic exist is one thing, but saying “everyone’s going to get it” is really just epidemiology.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 358 359 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies