COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:04:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 [333] 334 335 336 337 338 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546662 times)
BigSerg
7sergi9

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8300 on: December 20, 2021, 06:02:23 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8301 on: December 20, 2021, 07:22:34 PM »

Very good news.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8302 on: December 20, 2021, 07:27:24 PM »

Very good news.

Hopefully, but I'm worried it's like that late increase in deaths in the Delta wave. Deaths are a lagging indicator so we need more time to know for sure that Omicron is mild and can't overwhelm the healthcare system/cause mass death among the vaccinated. In the meantime, people should be responsible and take precautions by wearing masks and having a few less social contacts than normal.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8303 on: December 20, 2021, 07:30:22 PM »

All you rich people here can work remotely..

I'm not poor but I can't work remotely.  I'm still getting paid but I hate the isolation and being stuck inside. I wish I could work remotely.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8304 on: December 20, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »

Hypothetical:

A scientist comes forward and says he created omicron variant. He specifically made it mild and contagious to get rid of delta variant.

Is this man to be regarded as a villain or a hero?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8305 on: December 20, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »

Hypothetical:

A scientist comes forward and says he created omicron variant. He specifically made it mild and contagious to get rid of delta variant.

Is this man to be regarded as a villain or a hero?

If he releases it, he's a mass murderer.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8306 on: December 20, 2021, 07:48:28 PM »

Very good news.

Hopefully, but I'm worried it's like that late increase in deaths in the Delta wave. Deaths are a lagging indicator so we need more time to know for sure that Omicron is mild and can't overwhelm the healthcare system/cause mass death among the vaccinated. In the meantime, people should be responsible and take precautions by wearing masks and having a few less social contacts than normal.

I'm not pro-mask in the manner that you are, but I have noticed that the numbers of mask-wearing customers at my job have increased in recent weeks. The balance between those wearing masks and those who aren't is probably about 50/50 at this point.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8307 on: December 20, 2021, 07:56:21 PM »

Very good news.

It's worth noting South Africa is already on the decline in cases and hospitalizations have also dramatically decreased.

Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #8308 on: December 20, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »

I got my booster today and then did a bunch of Christmas shopping in Madison.  I saw a pretty fair number of unmasked people in the stores despite a mask mandate being in effect.  From my experience, people at Madison stores have been pretty consistent with wearing masks when a mandate is in effect.  I’m guessing these stores and malls are currently getting a good number of shoppers from more rural, maskphobic areas as Christmas approaches. 
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8309 on: December 20, 2021, 08:38:41 PM »

Very good news.

I'm not pro-mask in the manner that you are, but I have noticed that the numbers of mask-wearing customers at my job have increased in recent weeks. The balance between those wearing masks and those who aren't is probably about 50/50 at this point.
Where I live, only about 20-30% of people wore masks until the mandate was put back into effect, though that number seemed to go up slightly throughout the fall.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8310 on: December 20, 2021, 08:40:02 PM »

I got my booster today and then did a bunch of Christmas shopping in Madison.  I saw a pretty fair number of unmasked people in the stores despite a mask mandate being in effect.  From my experience, people at Madison stores have been pretty consistent with wearing masks when a mandate is in effect.  I’m guessing these stores and malls are currently getting a good number of shoppers from more rural, maskphobic areas as Christmas approaches. 

That's just silly it's really not hard to wear a mask while you're shopping. The people I sympathize with are the retail workers who have to wear them all day.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8311 on: December 21, 2021, 12:21:40 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2021, 12:25:54 AM by Frodo »

The Delta variant has been displaced, for better (or worse):

Travel bans clearly do not work in preventing viruses or virus variants from entering the country, so we need to think of better methods.  Let this be the last time we ever try this tactic.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #8312 on: December 21, 2021, 02:15:07 AM »

Very good news.

Throughout the entire pandemic deaths have lagged cases by 2 weeks. It's now 4 weeks since the emergence of omicron. Deaths are flat. I will not mask and I will not social distance. I am not going to keep sacrificing normal life over a goddamn cold.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8313 on: December 21, 2021, 02:24:08 AM »

NY State seems to have the most deaths since Q1.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8314 on: December 21, 2021, 04:49:49 AM »

The Delta variant has been displaced, for better (or worse)Sad

In UK, which has an excellent data, Delta is only partially displaced (esp. among vaccinated). It looks more like Omicron is adding additional cases. Based on data from UK:

The scenario where they coexists seems now more likely than a couple of weeks ago. Though, if you're vaccinated/boosted, it doesn't really matter (so long), nevertheless it's fascinating.

Travel bans clearly do not work in preventing viruses or virus variants from entering the country, so we need to think of better methods.  Let this be the last time we ever try this tactic.

Travel bans are not for a total prevention (and Police are not for total eradication of crime - should one abolish police?) of virus coming to the country. They are for giving extra time to be prepared. A lot of vulnerables had time to get a booster because of travel ban. Now this time it gave ~3-5 times less time, because Omicron is ~3-5 times faster than Delta, but who knows who fast the next virus [variant] will be. 
Hollywood
« Reply #8315 on: December 21, 2021, 05:32:09 AM »

Very good news.

Throughout the entire pandemic deaths have lagged cases by 2 weeks. It's now 4 weeks since the emergence of omicron. Deaths are flat. I will not mask and I will not social distance. I am not going to keep sacrificing normal life over a goddamn cold.

There is a lot of trashy in data in many of the states.  I don't much trust the Blue States.  Not cause of Bias. It's due to the fact that Murderer Cuomo was the only Governor that was absolutely guilty of submitting fraudulent numbers to the DOJ, and the media ignored it for over a year despite the production of concrete evidence.  As long as media companies continue to hire the same people that defrauded the public for the last two years, I can't in good faith ask anyone to sacrifice anything until they are replaced by actual journalists that retrieve and demand transparent data on Covid-19, particularly deaths within the vaccinated group-set from side-effects and post-jab infections. 

And Fauci needs to be removed.  Just saw a recent poll where 2/3rds of Americans distrusted government officials on Covid-19 science.  Asking people to continue listening to his advise after he's been repeatedly discredited for many grave mistakes is just assinine.

In any event, I mask up when I got to stores.  If the store is empty and spacious or outdoors, I put it in my pocket.  I don't trust the vaccinated without masks, because they go around to stores with symptoms cause they believe they can't spread it around (Fauci and media lie).  One of them I criticized after being coughed on at the grocery store. 
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8316 on: December 21, 2021, 07:18:54 AM »

Nice. In a parallel universe, where Biden signed BIF in July, there are no mandates, and the message above is his mantra since the summer, Biden's approvals are probably at 50%, Dems hold VA and probably Senate, if not Congress, in 2022.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8317 on: December 21, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »

Good step, although I wish it had been done sooner.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8318 on: December 21, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »

Huh. I'd love for an epidemiologist to help me understand this: if the whole country is now saturated with omicron, why isn't everywhere in the country surging like NYC is right now? Rates are decreasing here in Buffalo. Is the idea that basically everywhere in the country will look like NYC in a week or two now that omicron is everywhere?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8319 on: December 21, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »

Good move, but would have been done in September if Lori Lightfoot weren't such a dunce.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8320 on: December 21, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »

I don't understand why Bowser won't just get her s**t together and do the same thing rather than going back and forth on mask mandates.

Honestly, they need to stop using cases as a key metric. Vaccinated people might be testing positive but they're generally not getting seriously ill. It's overwhelmingly the unvaccinated who are taking up hospital beds and dying.
Crucial Waukesha
nloeb
Rookie

« Reply #8321 on: December 21, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »

Huh. I'd love for an epidemiologist to help me understand this: if the whole country is now saturated with omicron, why isn't everywhere in the country surging like NYC is right now? Rates are decreasing here in Buffalo. Is the idea that basically everywhere in the country will look like NYC in a week or two now that omicron is everywhere?

Since Omicron grows so rapidly, the areas in which it is growning explode with cases, so they take up a very large portion of cases overall.   The areas like Buffalo that have waning Delta waves are just taking up a smaller and smaller portion of the pie each day as the Omicron areas grow so quickly.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8322 on: December 21, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »

Cities that enact a vaccine mandate should also be required to repeal the mask mandate.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8323 on: December 21, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »

Since Omicron grows so rapidly, the areas in which it is growning explode with cases, so they take up a very large portion of cases overall.   The areas like Buffalo that have waning Delta waves are just taking up a smaller and smaller portion of the pie each day as the Omicron areas grow so quickly.

Another question is how many probes are actually sequenced? Not every positive tests gets examined for the variant.

I'd also assume mobility is higher in NYC than elsewhere in the state. So cases begin to soar sooner there.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8324 on: December 21, 2021, 11:16:22 AM »

Since Omicron grows so rapidly, the areas in which it is growning explode with cases, so they take up a very large portion of cases overall.   The areas like Buffalo that have waning Delta waves are just taking up a smaller and smaller portion of the pie each day as the Omicron areas grow so quickly.

Mm, makes sense! Thanks Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 [333] 334 335 336 337 338 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies