2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:44:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 105381 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: February 27, 2024, 04:59:00 PM »

Anyone want to explain wtf is happening here.

This makes zero sense.

For the record if NC and OH went fair - I’d be okay with it. But…. they didn’t. So WTF?

Ohio did stay fair.

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2026 on: February 27, 2024, 05:02:31 PM »

NY Dems need to get Latimer tf out of Albany. I’m sorry but your personal congressional ambitions come second to preventing the rise of fascism in this country.

In what universe is this even remotely Latimer’s fault?

Because Latimer’s demand to get as many white liberals as possible in his district make it harder to flip NY-17. The general consensus is that Lawler has a very good chance at winning re-election under the current lines because of Rockland’s exploding orthodox population (unlike D’Esposito or Williams who are widely seen as goners).

This map isn’t worth anyone’s time. Just leave the 2022 lines in place.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2027 on: February 27, 2024, 05:09:36 PM »

So if I’m understanding this correctly. Democrats don’t feel they have the votes in the COA to keep another Hochulmander in place?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2028 on: February 27, 2024, 05:15:51 PM »

God bless New York Democrats. Their dedication to delivering concrete results for their Republican constituents is inspiring!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2029 on: February 27, 2024, 05:20:33 PM »

NY Dems need to get Latimer tf out of Albany. I’m sorry but your personal congressional ambitions come second to preventing the rise of fascism in this country.

In what universe is this even remotely Latimer’s fault?

Because Latimer’s demand to get as many white liberals as possible in his district make it harder to flip NY-17. The general consensus is that Lawler has a very good chance at winning re-election under the current lines because of Rockland’s exploding orthodox population (unlike D’Esposito or Williams who are widely seen as goners).

Except, that’s not what happened.  This map doesn’t even help Latimer, it helps Bowman.

So if I’m understanding this correctly. Democrats don’t feel they have the votes in the COA to keep another Hochulmander in place?

You are not.  This is the first NY Assembly map and almost certainly DOA in the State Senate
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2030 on: February 27, 2024, 05:22:02 PM »

Yeah that is what I think.   Democrats likely feel they need to work within the general framework of the IRC maps or risk getting it thrown out by the courts. 
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2031 on: February 27, 2024, 05:26:29 PM »

My comment was less about any particular map and more about his mere physical presence in Albany. His input should be zero.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2032 on: February 27, 2024, 05:44:24 PM »

Yeah that is what I think.   Democrats likely feel they need to work within the general framework of the IRC maps or risk getting it thrown out by the courts. 

Could definitely backfire on them. Imagine they go for a Hochulmander, it gets tossed out instead in favor of keeping the special master maps, and Trump gets a trifecta because Brandon Williams wins re-election by 100 votes.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2033 on: February 27, 2024, 05:45:57 PM »

So what I'm gathering is that, broadly, removing Bowman is far more important to NY legislators than netting Dems a couple seats?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2034 on: February 27, 2024, 05:52:01 PM »

So what I'm gathering is that, broadly, removing Bowman is far more important to NY legislators than netting Dems a couple seats?

I honestly think the big lesson so far is that the NY Assembly is full of cowards. I think the Senate might be making a more aggressive map. We shall see.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2035 on: February 27, 2024, 05:52:10 PM »

Could definitely backfire on them. Imagine they go for a Hochulmander, it gets tossed out instead in favor of keeping the special master maps, and Trump gets a trifecta because Brandon Williams wins re-election by 100 votes.
Imagine Trump gets a trifecta because NY Dems brought a water balloon to a gun fight …
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2036 on: February 27, 2024, 05:52:33 PM »

The Assembly’s proposed map literally helps Bowman.  This is such a weird and nonsensical narrative
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2037 on: February 27, 2024, 06:00:19 PM »

Imagine Trump gets a trifecta because NY Dems brought a water balloon to a gun fight …

A 221-214 R house with LaLota, Malliotakis, Lawler, and Molinaro all winning?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #2038 on: February 27, 2024, 06:45:00 PM »

I honestly think the big lesson so far is that the NY Assembly is full of cowards. I think the Senate might be making a more aggressive map. We shall see.
Or this is like FL and they are trying to create a mirage of being "fair", only for them to meet with the senate and come up with an aggressive gerrymander.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2039 on: February 27, 2024, 07:12:55 PM »

It's political theatre ya'll! It's going to be an aggressive gerrymander

I certainly hope so. Democrats need to play dirty and shoring up Suozzi and pretty much just netting NY-22 for sure was really not worth any of this.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #2040 on: February 27, 2024, 08:07:54 PM »

If they're not going to make any changes to NY-17 and Rockland really is a ticking time bomb due to the growing Orthodox population, it might make more sense to just fully shore up Lawler. Rockland, Orange, and Sullivan Counties put together are just slightly more than the population of one CD and they narrowly voted for Trump. Doing this would also shore up Pat Ryan and allow for a bluer seat to be drawn to get rid of Molinaro.

Another thing I was thinking about -- there is a lot of talk about what part of Brooklyn and/or Manhattan to put with Staten Island...but if Dems really want to go aggressive, couldn't they just split Staten Island? Put some of it with Brooklyn (connection via the Verrazzano-Narrows bridge) and some of it with Lower Manhattan (connection via the ferry).
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #2041 on: February 27, 2024, 08:47:30 PM »

If they're not going to make any changes to NY-17 and Rockland really is a ticking time bomb due to the growing Orthodox population, it might make more sense to just fully shore up Lawler. Rockland, Orange, and Sullivan Counties put together are just slightly more than the population of one CD and they narrowly voted for Trump. Doing this would also shore up Pat Ryan and allow for a bluer seat to be drawn to get rid of Molinaro.

Another thing I was thinking about -- there is a lot of talk about what part of Brooklyn and/or Manhattan to put with Staten Island...but if Dems really want to go aggressive, couldn't they just split Staten Island? Put some of it with Brooklyn (connection via the Verrazzano-Narrows bridge) and some of it with Lower Manhattan (connection via the ferry).
The would have to nuke the 2% law to do that. This would be evidence for partisan motive for COA. I am not sure if the house want to risk that.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2042 on: February 27, 2024, 10:02:53 PM »

The would have to nuke the 2% law to do that. This would be evidence for partisan motive for COA. I am not sure if the house want to risk that.

This proposal already goes above 2% for the districts they change. They are de facto ignoring it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2043 on: February 27, 2024, 10:33:19 PM »

Complete boredom until a Senate map drops.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2044 on: February 27, 2024, 11:02:05 PM »

Bringing this from 21-5 Biden to 20-6 is also dumber. At least make NY-1 something like Biden +6 and NY-19 Biden +8 or so.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #2045 on: February 28, 2024, 02:32:10 AM »

This proposal already goes above 2% for the districts they change. They are de facto ignoring it.
R already said they won't sue this map. If they go more aggressive, they will get sued, and will lose for sure since they clearly violated the law.
SilverStar
Rookie
« Reply #2046 on: February 28, 2024, 07:14:45 AM »

State Senators already said that they don't want a map that is similar to the current one,very unlikely that they will agree to vote for this map.
It's usually the Assembly surrendering to the Senate and not the opposite.
SilverStar
Rookie
« Reply #2047 on: February 28, 2024, 07:15:49 AM »

R already said they won't sue this map. If they go more aggressive, they will get sued, and will lose for sure since they clearly violated the law.
Lol no,the Court is 4-3 Dem hack and they aren't going to struck down any Dem map.
You are delusional.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2048 on: February 28, 2024, 07:41:26 AM »

Nah, this map is probably DOA.  Democrats will likely win whatever BS lawsuit Republicans try to pull given that judicial activist DINOs no longer control NY’s highest court.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #2049 on: February 28, 2024, 08:05:21 AM »

Lol no,the Court is 4-3 Dem hack and they aren't going to struck down any Dem map.
You are delusional.

Court is 3-1-3.

But yes they could probably go more aggressive than this. Re submitting the Hochulmander is a direct insult to the 4 judges who felt it was gerrymandering

The vote on the Hochulmander was 5-2
On the special master it was 4-3
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies