Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 02:28:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 63
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness  (Read 132453 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: March 17, 2020, 04:53:42 AM »

Anyway, the government passed a decision to monitor Israelis with counterterrorist tech last night, without any Knesset scrutiny. Authoritarian measures in middle of a crisis, with no checks and balances. Considering Netanyahu's history and situation, I personally cannot trust him to do it in good faith. A minority government has never been so crucial.
forget government, we need a legislature and courts right now.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1076 on: March 17, 2020, 05:11:57 AM »

Come on Hendel & Hauser. Prove yourselves. No unity government is possible. Vote for a minority government.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #1077 on: March 17, 2020, 08:37:12 AM »

FM is pointing out how criticizing Jewish individuals for putting Israel first is considered bigoted because muh dual loyalty, but criticizing any other diaspora group (like Irish Americans for supporting the IRA) isn't.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1078 on: March 17, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »

FM is pointing out how criticizing Jewish individuals for putting Israel first is considered bigoted because muh dual loyalty, but criticizing any other diaspora group (like Irish Americans for supporting the IRA) isn't.

Dude, agreeing with and defending a Nazi is not a good look.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1079 on: March 17, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »

Can you lot knock it off? Open a thread in the international discussion board and leave this thread for political news.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1080 on: March 17, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »

So...... who becomes leader of Likud should Netanyahu fall?
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1081 on: March 17, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »

A lot of KL people are talking as though they'll set up a minority government if that's what it comes to. But I am dubious that they have the votes.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1082 on: March 17, 2020, 11:31:59 AM »

So...... who becomes leader of Likud should Netanyahu fall?
Depends on when, I doubt Likud would accept the constitutional amendments and would demand the Supreme Court to give an interim award to delay them, or choose a mock candidate that would pledge to win and change it immediately to bring back Bibi.

So I would wait with that sort of speculation. I know Bibi thinks Ambassador Dremer and Yossi Cohen are worthy successors, but I’m not sure Likudniks would accept his nominations. Maybe Cohen, Dremer is too...foreign. From the current ministers none will make the cut I think
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1083 on: March 17, 2020, 02:31:51 PM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/renegade-mk-files-breakaway-request-from-labor-meretz-after-u-turn-on-joint-list/

So she loses her seat... right?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1084 on: March 17, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »

No. She leads her own party, so she can split with no consequences at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, fellows
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1085 on: March 17, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »

MKs can quit parties and act on their own individually. This has happened quite a few times during this crisis thanks to Meretz's infighting. If they resign/die though then MKs are replaced by their party.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1086 on: March 17, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »

MKs can quit parties and act on their own individually. This has happened quite a few times during this crisis thanks to Meretz's infighting. If they resign/die though then MKs are replaced by their party.

They can, but then they can't run with any existing party in the next cycle.

Also I have no idea to what Meretz infighting and quitting MKs are you referring during this crisis? The most recent example is... Orly Levy, who quit YB during the Knesset and then couldn't run with an existing party next time (which was why she was so angry Gantz joined Lapid- she couldn't run with Yesh Atid). Gadi Ybarkan left for the election so he could be put on the Likud list.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1087 on: March 17, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »

Also I have no idea to what Meretz infighting and quitting MKs are you referring during this crisis? The most recent example is... Orly Levy, who quit YB during the Knesset and then couldn't run with an existing party next time (which was why she was so angry Gantz joined Lapid- she couldn't run with Yesh Atid). Gadi Ybarkan left for the election so he could be put on the Likud list.

Bad memory on my part. I thought the Stav Shaffir situation involved her presonally getting booted.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1088 on: March 17, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »

Bad memory on my part. I thought the Stav Shaffir situation involved her presonally getting booted.
She wasn’t a part of Meretz, she had her own party.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1089 on: March 18, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »

Likud are shutting down the legislature de facto. This will not stand. If the Supreme Court will now assist right now the 61 should convene elsewhere and call shots
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1090 on: March 18, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »

Likud are shutting down the legislature de facto. This will not stand. If the Supreme Court will now assist right now the 61 should convene elsewhere and call shots

Edlestein has quickly revealed himself to be one of the worst. Now he literally locked the Knesset. This is a coup.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1091 on: March 18, 2020, 09:31:24 AM »

So what has actually happened?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1092 on: March 18, 2020, 09:42:13 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 09:47:42 AM by Parrotguy »

From what I gather- KL and Likud couldn't reach an agreement about the composition of the Knesset committees, which is the media's way of saying "Likud didn't agree to work by the rules that the majority gets a majority in the committees". Edlestein offered a "compromise" that would have equal representation for both blocs in the most important committee, the one that decides on how the Knesset works while there's no government. KL didn't accept that "compromise" because, well, they have a majority and should have a majority in that committee. So Edlestein attacked them and closed the Knesset for work. He's nothing more than a criminal locking himself in the Speaker's seat and refusing to bow down to the majority's decision.

I'd look at it like this: Likud, leading a temporary minority government that doesn't have a democratic mandate, locked down the courts in the middle of the night. Then, they started monitoring the population without oversight from the other branches of government. Then they closed the legislative branch as well, because they don't have a majority there. All while using an international crisis, with the leader of that government facing legal problems. I think that's the plot of the Star Wars prequel.

More than anything, it just infuriates me that there's a majority wishing to vote to replace him and he just refuses to hold the vote! That's just 100% indefencible.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1093 on: March 18, 2020, 11:17:42 AM »

Edlestein has quickly revealed himself to be one of the worst. Now he literally locked the Knesset. This is a coup.

There's a solution to that--a government. But KL can't get members to support the head of their own list as PM, so all they can do is sit and cry about Edelstein. This is KL's fault as much as anybody's.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1094 on: March 18, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »

They are running down the clock on Gantz’s days. He needs to bulk up, take measures against them and start using his majority, if necessary swear in a government and place Netanyahu under arrest if he opposes the legitimacy
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1095 on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »

They are running down the clock on Gantz’s days. He needs to bulk up, take measures against them and start using his majority, if necessary swear in a government and place Netanyahu under arrest if he opposes the legitimacy

Yeah, basically just swear in a government. There's no other option.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1096 on: March 18, 2020, 12:54:49 PM »

Yeah, basically just swear in a government. There's no other option.

I think it's pretty clear they don't have the votes to do that. But I'd rather Gantz just bring the vote to plenum and force KL MKs to bring down their own government.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1097 on: March 18, 2020, 05:10:21 PM »

Well, seventy-two years of democracy is a good run. Better than most countries founded in the twentieth century have managed. Here's hoping Arabs, gay people, less-religious Jews, kibbutzniks, etc. still find ways to survive and thrive in the coming Chardalized ethnarchy.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1098 on: March 18, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/knesset-legal-adviser-says-speaker-cant-force-parliament-closed/

Hopefully there'll be consequences.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1099 on: March 18, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »

Well, seventy-two years of democracy is a good run. Better than most countries founded in the twentieth century have managed. Here's hoping Arabs, gay people, less-religious Jews, kibbutzniks, etc. still find ways to survive and thrive in the coming Chardalized ethnarchy.
Is... it really this bad?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies