SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 102627 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: May 04, 2022, 09:37:59 PM »

I am going to lay out my arguments here for the reason Roe should not remain:

1) Taxpayers should not fund abortion, it is a wasteful practice

2) 10th amendment - powers are reserved to the states to safeguard the life of its people. Bodily autonomy gives no right to kill another.

3) 14th amendment - power is granted to government to provide "equal protection" under the laws. An abortion denies due process to an unborn fetus. As a result, it can be deemed unlawful if Roe is overturned.

2 & 3 would require the government to give personhood to the unborn, which would open one heck of a can of worms. Any fetus would need an SSN, should qualify for tax deductibles, etc., then, right?

Then there's the case of a miscarriage being potentially prosecuted as involuntary manslaughter or something of that nature.

I mean, you can only go down from there.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #851 on: May 04, 2022, 09:48:46 PM »

Great. Now, abortion should be banned federally from the moment of conception with exception only for the life of the mother.

Blue states won't enforce those laws and will dare the feds to make them. Straight up
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #852 on: May 04, 2022, 09:49:11 PM »

JFC

I thought Republicans were against a surveillance state?

You forgot about the Republican Party under W.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #853 on: May 04, 2022, 09:52:29 PM »

I am going to lay out my arguments here for the reason Roe should not remain:

1) Taxpayers should not fund abortion, it is a wasteful practice

2) 10th amendment - powers are reserved to the states to safeguard the life of its people. Bodily autonomy gives no right to kill another.

3) 14th amendment - power is granted to government to provide "equal protection" under the laws. An abortion denies due process to an unborn fetus. As a result, it can be deemed unlawful if Roe is overturned.

2 & 3 would require the government to give personhood to the unborn, which would open one heck of a can of worms. Any fetus would need an SSN, should qualify for tax deductibles, etc., then, right?

Then there's the case of a miscarriage being potentially prosecuted as involuntary manslaughter or something of that nature.

I mean, you can only go down from there.
This is why even anyone who wants children should be against this destructive insanity. Who would be willing to have children if they risk going to prison for 10 years?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #854 on: May 04, 2022, 09:54:29 PM »

Great. Now, abortion should be banned federally from the moment of conception with exception only for the life of the mother.

Blue states won't enforce those laws and will dare the feds to make them. Straight up
When 19 states will immediately not offer any support for this, you are just setting up for the biggest constitutional crisis in centuries.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #855 on: May 04, 2022, 10:05:22 PM »

Why do you want to force women to carry their rapist's baby?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #856 on: May 04, 2022, 10:08:24 PM »

Republicans are monsters
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #857 on: May 04, 2022, 10:11:38 PM »

If you really, really want to make sure you're inclusive of trans people, why not just say "pregnant people"?  Why do we need to invent an almost deliberately alienating new term for this?

Again, I would just go with "people" in this case, since there's clearly no way that a non-pregnant person could have an abortion, so there's no need to specify that they're pregnant.

I have no idea what the purpose of using "bodies" is, but I'm fairly confident that it isn't more trans-inclusive than "people". "Birthing" is just an awkward term, especially when we're talking about abortion where the main point is that you aren't giving birth.

Like many other bizarre and jarring things that Democratic politicians and activists say on the bird app, it's probably a product of mistaking the argot of humanities academics for messaging that works on the general public. Anybody deeply familiar with post-1970ish sociopolitical theory and/or the so-called "area studies" fields will immediately recognize the concept of the embodied nature of oppression; they might not like that concept or feel that it applies here, but they'll be able to tell that that's what's meant. But most people are not deeply familiar with post-1970ish sociopolitical theory and/or the so-called "area studies" fields.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #858 on: May 04, 2022, 10:12:25 PM »

Can you explain to me why you are not for exceptions in the case of rape?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #859 on: May 04, 2022, 10:15:26 PM »

I'd argue that pro-lifers who support rape exceptions are logically inconsistent.  If you think that an unborn baby is a life of equal value to that of the mother, the circumstances in which he or she was conceived do not matter.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #860 on: May 04, 2022, 10:19:18 PM »

I'd argue that pro-lifers who support rape exceptions are logically inconsistent.  If you think that an unborn baby is a life of equal value to that of the mother, the circumstances in which he or she was conceived do not matter.

But by that standard allowing abortion for the life of the mother is also inconsistent. If the life of the unborn is of equal value in the minds of anti-choicers then there should be no exceptions at all. If the mother stays alive while the fetus dies then that is not equal. The bottom line is that anti-abortion logic is nonsensical.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #861 on: May 04, 2022, 10:22:35 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2022, 10:27:44 PM by Gass3268 »

I'd argue that pro-lifers who support rape exceptions are logically inconsistent.  If you think that an unborn baby is a life of equal value to that of the mother, the circumstances in which he or she was conceived do not matter.

So I guess the woman gets violated multiple times.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #862 on: May 04, 2022, 10:30:04 PM »

I'd argue that pro-lifers who support rape exceptions are logically inconsistent.  If you think that an unborn baby is a life of equal value to that of the mother, the circumstances in which he or she was conceived do not matter.

I can see a sort of soft version of my bodily autonomy belief holding that the a woman gives up her bodily autonomy if she engages in consensual sex in a way that she does not if the sex is not consensual. Just because a fetus is a person does not necessarily imply that it has an absolute right to life.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #863 on: May 04, 2022, 10:31:29 PM »

But by that standard allowing abortion for the life of the mother is also inconsistent. If the life of the unborn is of equal value in the minds of anti-choicers then there should be no exceptions at all. If the mother stays alive while the fetus dies then that is not equal. The bottom line is that anti-abortion logic is nonsensical.

This is a little like saying that killing someone in self-defense shouldn't be legal if murder is going to be illegal. I get the argument you're trying to advance here, but it isn't really that sound.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #864 on: May 04, 2022, 10:31:40 PM »

Self Defense Laws exist though and if a pregnancy threatens a women’s life then terminating it would be self defense . Not having a life exception would be insane even for the most pro life folks due  to this
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #865 on: May 04, 2022, 10:38:29 PM »

THE CONCERN IS APPROACHING LEVELS NEVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE

F*** off Susan you completely obnoxious political animal. No one is fooled by your game anymore. Well, other than the 2018 Maine voters

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #866 on: May 04, 2022, 10:39:54 PM »

F*** off Susan you completely obnoxious political animal. No one is fooled by your game anymore. Well, other than the 2018 Maine voters

Blame Sara Gideon, the worst Democratic Senate campaign in the country.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #867 on: May 04, 2022, 10:44:32 PM »

The people who use this kind of language are pretty out-of-touch (don't disagree with the sentiment at all, but they should just say 'people') but the people who freak out about it are similarly out-of-touch.
This.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #868 on: May 04, 2022, 10:46:22 PM »

Do you realize the Tara Reade and Hunter Biden had an effect on swing female voters, users like to blame the State by state candidates but not Biden, don't forget the stars Reade story came in April a mnth after Super Tuesday and it took a mnth for Biden to come out against it and we had other females in the J especially lose close races like in IA, stop blaming Gideon it was Biden

Also Trump did well in the last debate and won that debate and unemployment dwindled from 9/7, I was on the bus on EDay and WWC voters said Trump will win Unemployment is dwindling

The way Trump came back with 9 percent unemployment and won the Final not first debate because he had COVID, if no Pandemic he would have won outright

There are different interpretation why we didn't win ME or NC there are many issue and it wasn't just George Floyd protests and defined the police
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #869 on: May 04, 2022, 10:48:00 PM »

Do you realize the Tara Reade and Hunter Biden had an effect on swing female voters, users like to blame the State by state candidates but not Biden, don't forget the stars Reade story came in April a mnth after Super Tuesday and it took a mnth for Biden to come out against it and we had other females in the J especially lose close races like in IA, stop blaming Gideon it was Biden

Also Trump did well in the last debate and won that debate and unemployment dwindled from 9/7, I was on the bus on EDay and WWC voters said Trump will win Unemployment is dwindling
Oh, I'm not ignoring all the other factors. I'm just saying Gideon deserves the majority of the blame; she is the single biggest reason Susan Collins returned to office with another term.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #870 on: May 04, 2022, 10:53:22 PM »

This is a little like saying that killing someone in self-defense shouldn't be legal if murder is going to be illegal. I get the argument you're trying to advance here, but it isn't really that sound.

It's not supposed to be sound, it's highlighting the nonsense of pro-life logic. They say the fetus is of equal life to the mother, but if they are willing to allow abortion in the instance of the life of the mother then clearly there is a time when the life of the fetus is not equal.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #871 on: May 04, 2022, 10:56:28 PM »

Self Defense Laws exist though and if a pregnancy threatens a women’s life then terminating it would be self defense . Not having a life exception would be insane even for the most pro life folks due  to this

It gets more and more and more muddled the more you all try to justify your logic. You are stating that there is an instance where the life of the fetus is not equal in your eyes. End of debate.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #872 on: May 04, 2022, 11:15:53 PM »

Here's a deep question. If the pregnant women is comatose, and puling the plug would also mean the death of the fetus, would it be considered an abortion ? Who gives the right to decide what happens to the mother AND the baby ?
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #873 on: May 04, 2022, 11:16:56 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #874 on: May 04, 2022, 11:17:50 PM »

The fact you posted this is sus. At least you aren't a red avatar...I think...
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies