SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:33:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101495 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« on: May 02, 2022, 09:41:05 PM »

While this is obviously GREAT news, pray that the 5 Supreme Court justices in the pro-life majority remain strong until the verdict is official. Pray for the state governments around the country that will determine abortion laws in every state.

Pray for the hearts and minds of every person in this nation. Pray that the Church will be able to continue to stand for both unborn babies and mothers with love, Truth, and compassion!

But, most of all, I'm so happy that I literally just cried. I've been waiting for this day since January 2008 (when I first heard of abortion) and sometimes wondered if it would ever come!!
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 01:43:18 PM »

When Obergefell was decided, everyone on the left was openly celebrating an unmitigated victory.

The reaction of Republican politicians and most others on the right could not be more different.

Whether they are sincerely anti-abortion or not, Republicans know this is a political catastrophe for their party and they have no idea how to respond except to lash out at some imagined left-wing leaker.

Yeah it's important to ask how the reaction would be to a leak of the Obergefell decision.... you'd see some tsking and attacks on the leaker but the reaction from liberals would just be celebratory. At most I think a liberal might be like 80% happy/20% upset about the leak. The fact that conservatives aren't celebrating by and large and just focusing on the leak IS telling.

There are plenty of conservatives who are overjoyed right now, but there's also an element of people worried that the ruling might be "too good to be true".  So, I think a lot of people are holding their breath waiting to see that it actually looks like this.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 10:15:26 PM »

Great. Now, abortion should be banned federally from the moment of conception with exception only for the life of the mother.
Can you explain to me why you are not for exceptions in the case of rape?

I'd argue that pro-lifers who support rape exceptions are logically inconsistent.  If you think that an unborn baby is a life of equal value to that of the mother, the circumstances in which he or she was conceived do not matter.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:19:20 PM »

Everyone does realize that abortion bans typically are supply-side bans by shutting down clinics and punishing providers, not demand-side bans to punish mothers, who were mostly lied to and deceived by the abortion industry, right?
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »

Everyone does realize that abortion bans typically are supply-side bans by shutting down clinics and punishing providers, not demand-side bans to punish mothers, who were mostly lied to and deceived by the abortion industry, right?

How do you define what's "typical" ? What country, other than Communist Romania, has ever gone from broadly legal abortion to illegalizing it in whole or in some areas?

I was referring to proposed and enacted abortion bans in thr US, including Texas's law.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 11:09:11 AM »

This is a wonderful start!
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 11:57:13 AM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 12:05:39 PM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

So you support a child being forced to bear a child.

I think that's the greater evil.

The difference is that you don't believe that abortion is literally murder.  If you do believe that it's literally murder (like I do), then actively killing someone is the far worse action.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 10:45:34 AM »

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Would you adopt that baby?

Please answer yes or no to all questions.

Still waiting for the answers...

Still waiting...

My apologies.  I try to avoid getting into flamewar type threads.  But, yes, I believe that the baby in question deserves a chance to live.  Then, the mother definitely can put him or her up for adoption.  There are a myriad of ways that Christians can and do support pro-life ideals beyond just advocating for abortion to be illegal.  We do adopt at much higher rates than the general public and, often through tithing, directly support organizations that help these women.  If I ever feel that God is telling me personally (or me and my future wife) to adopt, then I'd definitely listen.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Would you adopt that baby?

Please answer yes or no to all questions.

Still waiting for the answers...

Still waiting...

My apologies.  I try to avoid getting into flamewar type threads.  But, yes, I believe that the baby in question deserves a chance to live.  Then, the mother definitely can put him or her up for adoption.  There are a myriad of ways that Christians can and do support pro-life ideals beyond just advocating for abortion to be illegal.  We do adopt at much higher rates than the general public and, often through tithing, directly support organizations that help these women.  If I ever feel that God is telling me personally (or me and my future wife) to adopt, then I'd definitely listen.

I’ll ask you a different question.

If you had a 10-year-old daughter who was raped and impregnated by her uncle (your wife’s brother, let’s say), would you force your daughter to carry that pregnancy?

Yes, that baby would still be precious.  My grandchild (in that case) should not have to die for the sins of his or her father.  Then, it would be a family decision of whether to raise the child or put it up for adoption.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 09:04:29 PM »

Kentucky's abortion ban is now in effect after having been held up in state courts:

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/abortion-ban-reinstated-in-kentucky/
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 12:00:33 AM »

ABORTION IS ILLEGAL IN TENNESSEE!!!!
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 08:21:49 AM »

YOU'RE NOW LOSING THE SENATE AND THE RED WAVE IS GONE.

We will see about that, but there are some things that are more important than winning elections.  This is one of them.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 09:44:32 PM »

Nvm:

I wonder if any of the red states with no-exception trigger laws will end up adding exceptions when the legislatures come into session?

The politics around that are pretty different from today's SC vote, though.  If you are a lawmaker opposed to exceptions, you would still vote for SC's ban that passed, thinking it to be better than nothing, while you would vote against legalizing it in those exceptions if it were already illegal.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2022, 11:08:00 PM »

A 15-week abortion ban is extremely unpopular.

I actually genuinely hadn't realized how much Dobbs had tanked support for it. Jesus.

Only Half Of Republicans still Support it !!!

Has it gotten to the point where I am more socially conservative than the average Republican voter

They noted in the fine print that they said "no rape or incest exceptions" in the summer poll when they didn't in the spring one.  While I hate that it's the case, people believe in rape exceptions (which make zero philosophical sense if you believe that life begins at conception).  The change would almost certainly be less stark if they had keep the question consistent.

And, I'll also note that abortion polling is very tricky and dependent on how questions are worded.  I've seen other polls show much greater initial levels of support for 15 week bans.  I even remember one showing that a 6 week ban with exceptions was close to 50-50 (now, that was in 2021, but after Texas's law took effect).
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 11:52:33 AM »

Who will be #16?  Will South Carolina get its act together?  Will Georgia strengthen its heartbeat bill into an actual life at conception law?  Can we prevail in court one of the four Western states with unenforced bans on the books (AZ, UT, MT, WY)?  Maybe Ohio or Iowa?  Also, we face challenges holding in North Dakota (where the law is technically on hold, but there are no providers) and Wisconsin in the coming months.

ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 11:51:58 PM »

Who will be #16?  Will South Carolina get its act together?  Will Georgia strengthen its heartbeat bill into an actual life at conception law?  Can we prevail in court one of the four Western states with unenforced bans on the books (AZ, UT, MT, WY)?  Maybe Ohio or Iowa?  Also, we face challenges holding in North Dakota (where the law is technically on hold, but there are no providers) and Wisconsin in the coming months.

My understanding is that a 6 week law is like 90% of the way toward a total ban, while a 15 week law is like 90% of the way toward Roe/Casey based on the distribution of abortions by length of pregnancy.   

It's true that the vast majority of abortions happen after 6 weeks, but we have a test study of Texas from September 2021 through June 2022, and my understanding is that abortions were only reduced by 50-60% during that period with a heartbeat bill but no ban.  Some abortions that would have been later happened pre-heartbeat.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 11:20:11 PM »

Judge McBurney was appointed by former Gov. Nathan Deal (R).  He's also the judge overseeing the Fulton County special grand jury investigating interference in the 2020 election.

So which constitution does the Georgia abortion law violate: the US Constitution or the GA state constitution?

Apparently he struck it down because Roe was still in place when it was signed (in 2019) and they’d have to re-pass a similar law again post-Dobbs.

Serious question- why does a county judge have the authority to strike down a state law?  If that's the case, couldn't any state law just be referred to a county judge in a county you know is likely to be sympathetic to your cause?
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 10:31:19 PM »

What is the process for a constitutional amendment in South Carolina?  Does it require a public vote?
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 11:58:04 PM »

Abortion will remain illegal in Idaho:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/idaho-supreme-court-upholds-abortion-law-after-planned-parenthood-challenge?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-foxnews&utm_content=later-32141901&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies