SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 05:40:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 105587 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: May 03, 2022, 10:59:37 PM »

And ISTFG, if Manchin & Sinema won't finally vote to end the filibuster, at least on a bill to just do a Lilly Ledbetter & statutorily codify Roe, then what good are they even for? We have to assume that we only have the majority for 8 more months. Use it, f**kers! This, if NOTHING else, is what it's f**king for!!

Well Manchin is pro-life. In fact he probably would have lost to a Republican in West Virginia in 2018 if he supported Roe. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about there.

Joe Manchin is pro-Joe Manchin. He will do whatever enables him to exercise the most influence, flip-flopping included.

Manchin exercises the most influence by getting re-elected by West Virginians in 2024. Voting for a federal abortion law would end his political career. Would Roe be safer with Patrick Morrisey in the Senate and a Republican majority blocking Breyer from retiring?

If you want to be angry at a Democratic politician for lacking votes in the Senate to enshrine Roe, be angry at Cal Cunningham, Sarah Gideon and Ben Nelson for blowing winnable races in purple states. Being angry at Manchin for not signing Democrats' political death warrant in his state is infantile.

Bill Nelson.  Ben Nelson was a senator from Nebraska.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #726 on: May 04, 2022, 12:04:10 AM »

To keep with the emerging theme of others' posts here, I'll also make another argument against the existence of the court in present day: when was the last time any landmark policy (left or right, that was reliant upon one of them alone) got implemented in this country?

It's pretty easy for anybody left-of-center to answer this: 1968. CRA, VRA, FHA, etc: that's the last time any transformative policy actually passed via elected branches of government. Everything else has either been bipartisan in spirit (ACA) or actuality ("welfare reform"), or done by the courts. It's a scapegoat, and it's pretty sad when a regressive institution is still more proactive on social and cultural matters than the combined elected body of the so-called greatest representative democracy on the planet. I posit it's because we're reliant upon some arcane body to either protect these rights or advance them, rather than making the electeds actually act.

Elected government hasn't done a damn thing transformative for society or the economy (without it benefiting the rich) in 60 years. Make them.

In a way it's almost admirably clear-sighted that Republican base voters are so f**king obsessed with tax cuts and judges. Those are the only things the elected branches of government actually do other than bombing campaigns and ignoring appropriations laws.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #727 on: May 04, 2022, 12:11:23 AM »

Sinema said today she isn't revealing the Filibuster to codify Roe in Da another attempt to try to pass Voting Rights, Voting Rights wouldn't have an effect on Gerrymandering but would guarentees our right to vote more
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #728 on: May 04, 2022, 12:32:32 AM »

And ISTFG, if Manchin & Sinema won't finally vote to end the filibuster, at least on a bill to just do a Lilly Ledbetter & statutorily codify Roe, then what good are they even for? We have to assume that we only have the majority for 8 more months. Use it, f**kers! This, if NOTHING else, is what it's f**king for!!

Well Manchin is pro-life. In fact he probably would have lost to a Republican in West Virginia in 2018 if he supported Roe. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about there.

Joe Manchin is pro-Joe Manchin. He will do whatever enables him to exercise the most influence, flip-flopping included.

Manchin exercises the most influence by getting re-elected by West Virginians in 2024. Voting for a federal abortion law would end his political career. Would Roe be safer with Patrick Morrisey in the Senate and a Republican majority blocking Breyer from retiring?

If you want to be angry at a Democratic politician for lacking votes in the Senate to enshrine Roe, be angry at Cal Cunningham, Sarah Gideon and Ben Nelson for blowing winnable races in purple states. Being angry at Manchin for not signing Democrats' political death warrant in his state is infantile.

Or, rather than be mad at a few Democrats who lost races oh, why don't we save our anger and approbation underwear deserves, i. P. Every single goddamn Republican member of Congress including and up to Susan Collins in her God damned hypocritical concern trolling?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #729 on: May 04, 2022, 12:40:42 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2022, 07:50:45 AM by Badger »

While this is obviously GREAT news, pray that the 5 Supreme Court justices in the pro-life majority remain strong until the verdict is official. Pray for the state governments around the country that will determine abortion laws in every state.

Pray for the hearts and minds of every person in this nation. Pray that the Church will be able to continue to stand for both unborn babies and mothers with love, Truth, and compassion!

But, most of all, I'm so happy that I literally just cried. I've been waiting for this day since January 2008 (when I first heard of abortion) and sometimes wondered if it would ever come!!

You flaming hypocrite. While you celebrate giddily at a government taking aggressive action to enforce your personal social and religious code to the rest of the country,, you are obviously never going to ask for your government to be aggressively Christian on issues related to charity. No, the literally millions of additional children including tens of thousands in your own state who are born unwanted and in need of vastly expanded Social Services, nutritional Aid, decent schools, and a whole host of Social Services will be written off by you and your Republican ilk. You'll throw an extra fiver in the poor box and call it a day.

At least some rare pro-life Advocates like fuzzy bear genuinely believe in the need to aggressively support the poor through government action. You've bleached your proclamation of how does the victory for Christianity, but when the time comes to actually pay the bill or follow anything from the Gospel of Luke, folks like you will undoubtedly be Republicans first and Christian second. Invariably your half-assed ideas for charity will somehow involve across-the-board tax cuts and spending cuts. And it will all be delivered in a saccharine-sweet smile wishing thoughts and prayers to all those new poor children whose families can't take care of them.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #730 on: May 04, 2022, 12:47:24 AM »

This is a 30 page thread where maybe 5% of the posts actually reference the issue at hand.

The justices of the supreme court were tasked not with giving their opinion on abortion, not with trying one way or another with influence abortion policy in this country.

They were tasked with answering one question: does the united states constitution as it is currently written provide for a right to an abortion?

5 justices said no, the constitution does no such thing.

For what its worth, there is *NOT* an insignificant number of left wing legal scholars who are staunchly pro choice who at the same time believe roe was incorrectly decided. Laurence tribe up until a few years ago fell into this camp.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #731 on: May 04, 2022, 01:15:59 AM »

does the united states constitution as it is currently written provide for a right to an abortion?

Spoiler alert: the answer is "no" for almost anything and everything the judicial branch has ruled on since unconstitutional judicial review became a thing over 200 years ago. Jefferson and Jackson were right, and the Democratic Party was wrong for renaming its main annual fundraising dinners (even if I played a role at a local level!) if only because of this one poignant issue.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #732 on: May 04, 2022, 01:23:01 AM »

voting is a political action that gives into the domination and hegemony of the bourgeois state. reproductive liberation will not come from a system built on the forced sterilization of african and colonized women, restricting abortion access from the poor and bio-eugenics. it would be more effective and radical to focus on supporting reproductive justice campaigns that fight to reduce abortion restrictions and make abortion safe and legal, like we in the U.S. do for birth control, than to vote for eugenics and more white nationalist candidates.

i want a government where no one is poor or desperate or imprisoned, not a country run by the rich and racist. and that means a country where i can take out my own damn condoms. and i believe this can only happen by creating a revolution. i’ve had enough of living in a world where i have to beg my family to buy me condoms when i go to buy beer. what’s the point of saving a life?

i’m going to put some of my money into people fighting for abortion rights in this country, and all other rights that are currently oppressed. i’m going to be a part of revolution in america. i want a government where abortions are free and legal for all women, where there are no poor people, where women can access birth control, and where prisons are closed. this is my revolution.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #733 on: May 04, 2022, 01:41:03 AM »

A couple of decades from now, when crime rates suddenly explode, we need to remember that THIS is why and not because of whoever is president around 2040.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #734 on: May 04, 2022, 09:57:29 AM »

A couple of decades from now, when crime rates suddenly explode, we need to remember that THIS is why and not because of whoever is president around 2040.

It will literally be Trump's fault.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #735 on: May 04, 2022, 09:59:57 AM »

But that's exactly what they want.

Screw things up to create chaos, and take advantage of that chaos.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #736 on: May 04, 2022, 10:02:01 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2022, 10:05:10 AM by Person Man »

But that's exactly what they want.

Screw things up to create chaos, and take advantage of that chaos.

Historically speaking, that's how countries stop being countries. People like this wait for chaos so that they could take them, a few thousand of their buddies and their families to start a militia, build a town, and secede from the rest of society and society lets them because it is too overwhelmed with the chaos to prevent them from leaving society.

It's either that or some Juan Carlos or Gorbachev gets into power and says that "this is dumb" and that's the end of it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #737 on: May 04, 2022, 10:20:21 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #738 on: May 04, 2022, 10:21:59 AM »

That's lazy. It's like saying Democrats passed Obamacare and then all of the sudden they don't want to talk about it. Republicans just want to do whatever they want.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #739 on: May 04, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »

That's lazy. It's like saying Democrats passed Obamacare and then all of the sudden they don't want to talk about it. Republicans just want to do whatever they want.

The republicans didn’t pass anything here though
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #740 on: May 04, 2022, 10:24:21 AM »

God he's such a creep

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #741 on: May 04, 2022, 10:25:45 AM »

This is a 30 page thread where maybe 5% of the posts actually reference the issue at hand.

The justices of the supreme court were tasked not with giving their opinion on abortion, not with trying one way or another with influence abortion policy in this country.

They were tasked with answering one question: does the united states constitution as it is currently written provide for a right to an abortion?

Unfortunately due to the unconstitutional power grab known as “Marbury v Madison”, the opinion of the Supreme Court justices actually does influence abortion policy in this country. If they were so worried about being found improperly opinionated or “legislating from the bench”, well, that bridge has been crossed centuries ago. The only honorable thing these “justices” could do to save face is resign in grace and call for the speedy dissolution of the institution.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #742 on: May 04, 2022, 10:28:02 AM »

The republicans didn’t pass anything here though

No.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #743 on: May 04, 2022, 10:35:49 AM »

This is a good sign for democrats. They know they’re gonna get rocked if they overturn it. Let’s hope we can actually do something with it
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #744 on: May 04, 2022, 10:45:19 AM »

This is a good sign for democrats. They know they’re gonna get rocked if they overturn it. Let’s hope we can actually do something with it

Or it could produce the reverse effect. Republicans can be like " Democrats don't care about your pocketbook and they want to pursue radical social policies. ".
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #745 on: May 04, 2022, 10:53:40 AM »

Or it could produce the reverse effect. Republicans can be like " Democrats don't care about your pocketbook and they want to pursue radical social policies. ".

Most people don’t think Roe v. Wade is “radical”.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #746 on: May 04, 2022, 11:19:32 AM »

Unfortunately due to the unconstitutional power grab known as “Marbury v Madison”, the opinion of the Supreme Court justices actually does influence abortion policy in this country. If they were so worried about being found improperly opinionated or “legislating from the bench”, well, that bridge has been crossed centuries ago. The only honorable thing these “justices” could do to save face is resign in grace and call for the speedy dissolution of the institution.

You know the court ruling was then saying : “ We are going to get out of the business of making abortion policy “
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #747 on: May 04, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »

You know the court ruling was then saying : “ We are going to get out of the business of making abortion policy “

If you pull some random dude off the street and ask them about the Supreme Court, the modal person will probably know like three things: the judges are basically Republicans or Democrats even though they're technically not, the Republicans have the court right now, and they get to issue binding opinions on law. As such, my inclination is to believe that when SCOTUS strikes down Roe and abortion immediately becomes illegal either in their state or in states they know of, they will basically understand what happened.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #748 on: May 04, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »

Oh, well if they said it, it must be true!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #749 on: May 04, 2022, 12:31:20 PM »

When Obergefell was decided, everyone on the left was openly celebrating an unmitigated victory.

The reaction of Republican politicians and most others on the right could not be more different.

Whether they are sincerely anti-abortion or not, Republicans know this is a political catastrophe for their party and they have no idea how to respond except to lash out at some imagined left-wing leaker.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies