Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:35:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 855 856 857 858 859 [860] 861 862 863 864 865 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 914464 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21475 on: May 03, 2023, 01:47:19 PM »

The only thing I can find so far is that Russian Telegram channels are saying the AFU is attacking south of Orikhiv/Orekhov, towards Rabotyne (Zaporizhzhia).
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #21476 on: May 03, 2023, 01:58:11 PM »

What? Is he saying that the counter-offensive has begun??:

It probably began many days ago when they crossed the Dnieper.

They are just gradually expanding the attacks on the front in order to not wake sleeping beauty in the kremlin.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21477 on: May 03, 2023, 02:04:45 PM »

It probably began many days ago when they crossed the Dnieper.

They are just gradually expanding the attacks on the front in order to not wake sleeping beauty in the kremlin.
My man, the Dnieper crossings have been happening for 6 months now. It's a tug of war where each side has been landing on swamps and doing recon, then proceed to go back.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21478 on: May 03, 2023, 02:08:06 PM »

Interesting 🧐
Tweet already deleted. What did it say?
It’s not deleted for some reason the twitter links aren’t working right now but it was showing Russian on telegram saying 100 Russian soldiers have been surrounded in the town of Bilohorivka
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21479 on: May 03, 2023, 02:14:00 PM »

Oh Putin, if the West or Ukraine wanted you dead, you would be. No need to stage fake attacks when a sniper can easily do the job. The difference is the west no longer assasinates heads of state, they're not you.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21480 on: May 03, 2023, 02:19:04 PM »

US aid announcements getting stingier with specifics (for good reason, but still)

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21481 on: May 03, 2023, 02:21:19 PM »

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21482 on: May 03, 2023, 02:26:32 PM »

Russian MLRS (supposedly near Polohy, east of Orikhiv/Orekhov)

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21483 on: May 03, 2023, 02:32:59 PM »

Interesting 🧐
It’s not deleted for some reason the twitter links aren’t working right now but it was showing Russian on telegram saying 100 Russian soldiers have been surrounded in the town of Bilohorivka
Ah.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21484 on: May 03, 2023, 03:08:14 PM »

They shelled a supermarket:

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21485 on: May 03, 2023, 03:13:34 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21486 on: May 03, 2023, 03:16:57 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2023, 03:22:59 PM by Storr »

My thoughts on the drone attack on the Kremlin is basically summed up in these tweets:

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21487 on: May 03, 2023, 03:17:40 PM »

Not too different from the Mathias Rust failure .
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21488 on: May 03, 2023, 03:25:20 PM »

Bonus DarkPutinKGB tweet. I swear this is one of the best twitter accounts:

AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #21489 on: May 03, 2023, 03:29:04 PM »

Interesting 🧐
Ah.

Bilohorivka actually was recaptured by Russia? I know Ukraine took it back as a result of the September counteroffensive and Russia claimed to have taken it back in February, but I thought that that was supposedly false. Good ol' fashioned fog of war I suppose...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21490 on: May 03, 2023, 03:32:24 PM »

Interesting 🧐
Ah.

Bilohorivka actually was recaptured by Russia? I know Ukraine took it back as a result of the September counteroffensive and Russia claimed to have taken it back in February, but I thought that that was supposedly false. Good ol' fashioned fog of war I suppose...
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21491 on: May 03, 2023, 03:32:38 PM »

Interesting 🧐
Ah.

Bilohorivka was never recaptured. It's been under Ukrainian control since September. They are talking about a recent industrial part that was recaptured by some Russians near the town, supposedly it's supply line there is under fire.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #21492 on: May 03, 2023, 03:38:27 PM »

Interesting 🧐
Ah.

Bilohorivka was never recaptured. It's been under Ukrainian control since September. They are talking about a recent industrial part that was recaptured by some Russians near the town, supposedly it's supply line there is under fire.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21493 on: May 03, 2023, 04:59:41 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2023, 05:28:22 PM by Storr »

They shelled a supermarket:

Terrorism:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21494 on: May 03, 2023, 05:42:42 PM »

"Ukraine is required by the Americans only as an object of merciless exploitation of existing natural resources without a traditional population. Following such a neo-Nazi line, Washington has already turned it into a territory that millions of people are leaving en masse, seeking protection abroad from socio-economic problems and pro-fascist oppression. 30 years of upheavals organized by Washington in Ukraine have led to a halving of the population. And today the White House easily goes to continue the war with Russia to the last Ukrainian. At the same time, the preservation of Ukraine as a state is not included in the plans of the United States."

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21495 on: May 03, 2023, 05:47:51 PM »

*snip*

Most of the article reads like the result of the usual chauvinist brainworms, but I love how the ending suddenly pivots into "...and this is happening because America plans to evacuate to an occupied Russia when Yellowstone erupts."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21496 on: May 03, 2023, 05:57:51 PM »

This squib that popped up in the NYT caught my eye. If Putin thinks it a good idea to just bring it to NATO directly by blowing up its undersea infrastructure, then he truly has gone nutter.

"Moscow is actively mapping NATO’s critical infrastructure systems and could target the undersea cables that help provide Western nations with everything from internet service to gas supplies, NATO’s top intelligence official warned on Wednesday.

'There is “significant” risk that Russia could pursue such sabotage to “disrupt Western life and gain leverage against those nations that are providing support to Ukraine,” NATO’s assistant secretary general for intelligence and security, David Cattler, told reporters."

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21497 on: May 03, 2023, 06:20:22 PM »

I’m shocked Wagner isn’t a reliable source of information
You sure? Because not long ago you were quoting the same man like crazy when he was fearmongering.
Yes, I'm completely sure Wagner PMC is not a reliable source for a conflict that Wagner PMC is fighting in.
This logic is not inherently wrong, but it needs to be applied equally.

Ukraine is a democratic country, Wagner is a PMC staffed by convicts.
You think militaries in countries arbitrarily labelled as "democratic" are suddenly less likely to make things up or deny things?
You sweet, summer child...

Yes. Having a free press ensures less graft and corruption within the armed forces. Putin learned this last year when he discovered the truth of just how ineffective his military is.

Ukraine probably has a more transparent officer corp within the military but they absolutely do make up random propaganda for the media which are obvious lies. Nothing wrong but ots whats happening

Sure. The fact remains that they're less likely to make things up than Russia.
How would you know, you're a guy from California.

And I understand the incentive structures at play in authoritarian regimes. When you don't have a free press, it's much easier for your government to spread false narratives and lies. As if to prove my point, look at the false flag operation carried out at the Kremlin.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21498 on: May 03, 2023, 07:00:50 PM »

I'm surprised Russia's declining global press freedom index rating was even reported on. Interestingly Russia was placed #164, right above #165 Turkey:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21499 on: May 03, 2023, 07:58:42 PM »

Another Russian oil refinery on fire:

Location of refinery

Pages: 1 ... 855 856 857 858 859 [860] 861 862 863 864 865 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies