Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:39:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 852 853 854 855 856 [857] 858 859 860 861 862 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 930649 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21400 on: May 01, 2023, 10:27:02 PM »

Interestingly Kazakhstan also voted in favor of the resolution. The Central Asian countries had all abstained or were/voted absent in previous UN votes related to the war in Ukraine (iirc).

B-but muh global south solidarity!
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #21401 on: May 01, 2023, 11:03:36 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2023, 11:07:53 PM by Oleg »

The Orcs clearly have a demented obsession with Ukraine that they don't have with any of the other former republics (the Belarus puppet state notwithstanding), and as other posters have mentioned, they've talked from the beginning about regime change in Kyiv.
Even before Putin, the Ruscists had been inciting hatred for Chechnya and Caucasians in general, which they then had to quickly extinguish by killing outright neo-Nazis, when a civil war almost started from a pogrom at the Cherkizovsky market. Also, since the nineties and still the Ruscists hate the Baltic States even more than Ukraine.

And since the tenth years, the Ruscists have picked up the song of the neo-Nazi Limonov about the need to occupy Northern Kazakhstan and Almaty, which for them is a symbol of the Cossacks under the old name Verny. By the way, this is the reason why I was able to escape from the brainwashing that Russian propagandists are intensively conducting in Kazakhstan, including through the neo-Eurasian societies of the fascist Dugin.

And recently, the Chinese ambassador in France veiledly stated that the PRC believes Russia has the right to seize all the post-Soviet republics, and also supposedly Crimea should belong to Russia. Obviously, if the attack on Ukraine had not failed, then Russia, under the wise leadership of Xi, would immediately attack Moldova, or Georgia, or my native Kazakhstan.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21402 on: May 02, 2023, 12:20:23 AM »

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21403 on: May 02, 2023, 01:11:56 AM »

Interestingly Kazakhstan also voted in favor of the resolution. The Central Asian countries had all abstained or were/voted absent in previous UN votes related to the war in Ukraine (iirc).

B-but muh global south solidarity!

tbf.... Kazakhstan are also returning Russian draft dodgers back home when they caught sneaking across the border, to which they might meet a less than favorable resolution now that Russia has effectively banned military aged men from leaving the country.

There are many former Soviet Republics who are sitting on the wings a bit, waiting to see how this whole Ukraine thing plays out, and certainly not wanting to be the next in line for a Russian "Invasion", "Peace Keeping Operation", let alone a "Special Operation".

The sins of the Czars and later on in the form of Soviet "Czar" in the form of Stalin still indicate that the "chickens are coming home to roost", in the words of the great late Malcom X.

Internal colonization sometimes takes many decades before resolution, as surely the Irish might attest.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #21404 on: May 02, 2023, 02:16:33 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2023, 05:28:03 AM by rc18 »

The UK is procuring missiles for Ukraine with ranges up to 300km, on behalf of the IFU states.

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #21405 on: May 02, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »

(POTENIALLY) MAJOR NEWS: Prigozhin/Wagner claims the head Commander of the Territorial Defenese Force of Ukraine might have been killed today (General Ihor Tantsyura), during an artillery bombing of a convoy to Bakhmut.

If true, this would be by far the highest ranking KIA in this war.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21406 on: May 02, 2023, 09:19:31 AM »

Back to Bakhmut again, both sides are claiming that they gained ground in the past few days, none of which can be verified.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/01/world/europe/bakhmut-ukraine-russia.html
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21407 on: May 02, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »

(POTENIALLY) MAJOR NEWS: Prigozhin/Wagner claims the head Commander of the Territorial Defenese Force of Ukraine might have been killed today (General Ihor Tantsyura), during an artillery bombing of a convoy to Bakhmut.

One wonders, if this is true, how much impact it would actually have on the Ukrainian war effort.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21408 on: May 02, 2023, 09:23:09 AM »

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1653392558322597889?cxt=HHwWgoC-kbLxg_ItAAAA
One wonders, if this is true, how much impact it would actually have on the Ukrainian war effort.
TBF I don't think he's dead. I know Syrsky visited Bakhmut, but it's been worsening since then. So it seems very risky sending a guy like that to the city. We'll find out soon.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21409 on: May 02, 2023, 09:26:44 AM »

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1653392558322597889?cxt=HHwWgoC-kbLxg_ItAAAA
TBF I don't think he's dead. I know Syrsky visited Bakhmut, but it's been worsening since then. So it seems very risky sending a guy like that to the city. We'll find out soon.
It feels like Russia sending in Shoigu to "cheer up the troops in Bakhmut" would end just as well.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21410 on: May 02, 2023, 09:28:28 AM »

AFU is denying his death - “We officially refute this claim. We do not comment on any stuffing of enemy propaganda. Everyone is alive and well"

https://www.pravda.com.ua/rus/news/2023/05/2/7400344/index.amp
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21411 on: May 02, 2023, 09:33:03 AM »

It feels quite possible Wagner shelled the convoy and wounded the general and said he might have died, and then he recovered fully and UA denied the claim publicly.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21412 on: May 02, 2023, 09:48:39 AM »

I do wish people would stop mis-using the word "refute" though.

(unless the Ukrainian side has cast-iron *proof* he is still alive, in which case its usage is correct)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21413 on: May 02, 2023, 09:51:19 AM »

(unless the Ukrainian side has cast-iron *proof* he is still alive, in which case its usage is correct)
Perhaps using the word in this way should be called a "half-refutation".
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21414 on: May 02, 2023, 10:39:48 AM »

I’m shocked Wagner isn’t a reliable source of information
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21415 on: May 02, 2023, 11:23:35 AM »

You sure? Because not long ago you were quoting the same man like crazy when he was fearmongering.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #21416 on: May 02, 2023, 12:09:53 PM »

You sure? Because not long ago you were quoting the same man like crazy when he was fearmongering.
Yes, I'm completely sure Wagner PMC is not a reliable source for a conflict that Wagner PMC is fighting in.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21417 on: May 02, 2023, 12:12:12 PM »

Yes, I'm completely sure Wagner PMC is not a reliable source for a conflict that Wagner PMC is fighting in.
This logic is not inherently wrong, but it needs to be applied equally.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #21418 on: May 02, 2023, 12:14:04 PM »

Ukraine is a democratic country, Wagner is a PMC staffed by convicts.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21419 on: May 02, 2023, 12:19:05 PM »

You think militaries in countries arbitrarily labelled as "democratic" are suddenly less likely to make things up or deny things?
You sweet, summer child...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21420 on: May 02, 2023, 12:21:13 PM »

The writer meant dispute. English is not the writer's first language.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #21421 on: May 02, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »

You think militaries in countries arbitrarily labelled as "democratic" are suddenly less likely to make things up or deny things?

A country is democratic when it has elections, a free press, and freedom of speech. Wagner is a PMC last seen executing one of their own convict soldiers with a sledgehammer. Yes, I do think the Ukrainian government is more trustworthy than Wagner.

That doesn't mean we should trust whatever the Ukrainian government says, but I believe them over Wagner.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21422 on: May 02, 2023, 12:50:45 PM »

A country is democratic when it has elections, a free press, and freedom of speech. Wagner is a PMC last seen executing one of their own convict soldiers with a sledgehammer. Yes, I do think the Ukrainian government is more trustworthy than Wagner.

That doesn't mean we should trust whatever the Ukrainian government says, but I believe them over Wagner.
None of what you just postulated, even if it was true, is any modicum of proof for your claims here.
If there is any difference, if anything it would be the opposite of how you are putting it; if you can't censor in a total way and you can't stop people from saying anything through direct means, then the solution is to flood the space with untrue things so that you don't lose credibility. You have more incentive to lie, not less.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21423 on: May 02, 2023, 01:09:43 PM »

None of what you just postulated, even if it was true, is any modicum of proof for your claims here.
If there is any difference, if anything it would be the opposite of how you are putting it; if you can't censor in a total way and you can't stop people from saying anything through direct means, then the solution is to flood the space with untrue things so that you don't lose credibility. You have more incentive to lie, not less.

But, in a democracy, you are free to investigate and question official claims. Hence, Ukraine had to officially walk back some of its more absurd claims, such as the improbable deaths of Russian generals (remember then?). Becoming known as a liar would also open the door for the enemy to spread disinformation without consequence. On the other hand, questioning official Russian claims means you will be "discrediting the Russian army" or "spreading fake news" (best), or your bullet-strewn body will be found on the ground under an open window (worst). It also means that enemy disinformation (such as rumours about Putin's health) cannot be credibly refuted even when they are actually false.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21424 on: May 02, 2023, 01:11:07 PM »

Yes. Having a free press ensures less graft and corruption within the armed forces. Putin learned this last year when he discovered the truth of just how ineffective his military is.
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 854 855 856 [857] 858 859 860 861 862 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies