Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:20:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43856 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2021, 08:58:48 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2021, 04:17:29 PM by YE »

"If you can talk, you can breathe" will become the white conservative's "Hands up, don't shoot!"; and I already see this lining up perfectly with the riots and backlash from a likely hung jury/not guilty.

We've been slowly descending toward chaos since 2016, why do any of you think this will work out well this time?

1. Just in 2019, Amber Guyger was found guilty and sentenced 10 years in a case that was maybe even less clear-cut than this one. In TEXAS. So clearly cops can be found guilty in particularly egregious cases, and especially given how many cops testified against Chauvin, it’s not looking good for him.

2. You cited the racial make-up of the jury, assuming all whites even in a place like Minneapolis are racist I guess, yet 4 of the jurors are black. You really think they will all vote NOT guilty? Of course not. Mistrial is absolutely Chauvin’s best possible outcome. Otherwise the defense wouldn’t have bothered to already motion for a mistrial over Maxine Waters’s dumb comments; THEY think it’s likely he’ll be convicted!

3. The defense’s arguments were crap. They claimed it wasn’t excessive use of force; countless cops said otherwise. They claimed Chauvin didn’t even kill him; both autopsies concluded it was a homicide and the testimony of that doctor pretty decisively proved he was asphyxiated. No other expert testimony was remotely as convincing.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 04:17:51 PM by YE »

"If you can talk, you can breathe" will become the white conservative's "Hands up, don't shoot!"; and I already see this lining up perfectly with the riots and backlash from a likely hung jury/not guilty.

We've been slowly descending toward chaos since 2016, why do any of you think this will work out well this time?

1. Just in 2019, Amber Guyger was found guilty and sentenced 10 years in a case that was maybe even less clear-cut than this one. In TEXAS. So clearly cops can be found guilty in particularly egregious cases, and especially given how many cops testified against Chauvin, it’s not looking good for him.

2. You cited the racial make-up of the jury, assuming all whites even in a place like Minneapolis are racist I guess, yet 4 of the jurors are black. You really think they will all vote NOT guilty? Of course not. Mistrial is absolutely Chauvin’s best possible outcome. Otherwise the defense wouldn’t have bothered to already motion for a mistrial over Maxine Waters’s dumb comments; THEY think it’s likely he’ll be convicted!

3. The defense’s arguments were crap. They claimed it wasn’t excessive use of force; countless cops said otherwise. They claimed Chauvin didn’t even kill him; both autopsies concluded it was a homicide and the testimony of that doctor pretty decisively proved he was asphyxiated. No other expert testimony was remotely as convincing.

Yeah there's NO way he's found not guilty on any charge. Best for him is a mistrial on the more serious charges and guilty/mistrial on manslaughter. The black jurors are 99.99% going with guilty for the 2nd and 3rd degree murder unless the jurors are Stacey Dash, David Clarke, Vernon Jones, and Candace Owens.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2021, 10:35:01 PM »

By the way which idiot let this trial be televised?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2021, 11:40:40 PM »

Television cameras should be banned in all courtrooms, and the names of defendants should be kept anonymous until the trial has concluded.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2021, 12:34:59 AM »

Maxine Waters know that Floyd family got 27M that's why Jackson and LeBron isnt speaking out on it and she gave the Defense a leg to stand on in an Appeal, he is guilty of manslaughter, but it can be overturned on Appeal, she is my Congresswoman too
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2021, 08:45:27 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2021, 09:08:45 AM »

If you are really from TX I am sorry to hear that Cruz is your Senator too, he assisted with mounting an Insurrection on Jan 6th he is a tea partier
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2021, 09:28:16 AM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »

I find it difficult to believe that he will get off totally unless I am also to believe the jury will unanimously conclude Floyd would be dead today even if Chavin had not knelt on his neck for 9 minutes. I have not followed the case that closely, so I have no idea what medical experts the defense presented, but at its face, I think we're looking at manslaughter at a minimum.

FYI, hung juries are quite rare, and people seem to be overestimating that as the possible outcome.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »

Television cameras should be banned in all courtrooms, and the names of defendants should be kept anonymous until the trial has concluded.

I'd be fine with the recording provided said recording is only released after the trial is over.
It was incredibly stupid to make this a tv trial.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2021, 11:05:46 AM »

As I said before, if you look at 16 minutes before the death, the officers were pleading with Floyd to get into car, how you are gonna suffocate in a police car and you are already driving an SUV, that's why it's a Manslaughter not a murder, and a decade imprisoned, but he probably gets 5 on appeal or Sentencing
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »

I'd be fine with the recording provided said recording is only released after the trial is over.
Honestly, could you imagine how much worse backlash there would be if the trial was kept hidden, especially if for some reason Chauvin does get acquitted/it ends in mistrial?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2021, 11:12:03 AM »

Honestly, could you imagine how much worse backlash there would be if the trial was kept hidden, especially if for some reason Chauvin does get acquitted/it ends in mistrial?

No television cameras in the courtroom is hardly synonymous with a hidden trial
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »

Yup release a transcript within a few hours if need be. Much less of a media circus.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »

I think he's going to get off.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »

Yup release a transcript within a few hours if need be. Much less of a media circus.

The Judge did the right thing. He knew many people across this country especially after last year crowd of protesters were invested in the case. Not giving people the opportunity to see trial will just create further mistrust which already surrounds multiple cases that involved law enforcement. Having a visual format will eliminate any doubt of wrongdoing that is currently surrounding the trial of Breonna Taylor.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2021, 12:47:00 PM »

Useful anonymized rundown of jurors and their backgrounds:

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2021, 12:55:49 PM »

Isn't manslaughter the lowest charge?  If so, I think that's what he'll be convicted of.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2021, 12:56:23 PM »

Of course you do.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »

He's honestly safer in prison where he can be isolated than he is on the streets. No, I'm not advocating that anyone do harm to him, but this case has sparked a lot of anger and Chauvin could easily because the victim of vigilante justice if he is acquitted.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2021, 01:13:01 PM »

I will be glad when all these verdicts are over, they are all guilty of at least manslaughter which carries a decade imprisonment
.the Defense tried to humanize the officer by taking off his mask, he should of showed that when he neglected Floyd
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »

He's honestly safer in prison where he can be isolated than he is on the streets. No, I'm not advocating that anyone do harm to him, but this case has sparked a lot of anger and Chauvin could easily because the victim of vigilante justice if he is acquitted.

Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas are all nice this time of year.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2021, 02:00:37 PM »

Everyone thought that was going to happen to Casey Anthony but it never did. It could happen, but probably not, especially if he moves.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2021, 02:02:30 PM »

Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas are all nice this time of year.

Those states aren't nice any time of the year.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »

Verdict at 4:30 EST!! With a verdict this soon I bet he's guilty of 2nd degree murder
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies