Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:03:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43049 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2021, 12:40:46 AM »

Anyone worried about a mistrial here?

For cases like this it shows that there needs to be the option of a supermajority verdict if an absolute verdict can't be reached.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2021, 12:46:45 AM »

For cases like this it shows that there needs to be the option of a supermajority verdict if an absolute verdict can't be reached.

The question is what’s “cases like this” - trials of state agents?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2021, 12:50:45 AM »

The question is what’s “cases like this” - trials of state agents?
Cop trials/trials with the risk of political upheaval/etc.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2021, 07:22:32 AM »

The Defense has no case clear, Floyd already told officer he was already scared of enclosed spaces, the officer is guilty of murder
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2021, 12:31:43 PM »

No thanks
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »

Mistrial is the worst case scenario now I think. Before I thought he’d probably get off. Now I don’t see how all 12 jurors could possibly vote not guilty for all charges. I think guilty for the manslaughter charge at least is the most likely scenario.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2021, 02:17:18 PM »

Mistrial is the worst case scenario now I think. Before I thought he’d probably get off. Now I don’t see how all 12 jurors could possibly vote not guilty for all charges. I think guilty for the manslaughter charge at least is the most likely scenario.

Someone remind me again how much time Chauvin could face with a manslaughter conviction? I previously heard numbers in the High Teens, but maybe that was for one of the lower degree of murder charges that I don't think we're altimate Lee brought to trial. I think Grumps mention the other day possibly up to 10 years?
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2021, 02:30:05 PM »

Someone remind me again how much time Chauvin could face with a manslaughter conviction? I previously heard numbers in the High Teens, but maybe that was for one of the lower degree of murder charges that I don't think we're altimate Lee brought to trial. I think Grumps mention the other day possibly up to 10 years?

I believe the latter is correct. Up to 10 years, but could also be less than 5.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2021, 02:45:41 PM »

The worst case scenario is acquittal. After they acquitted the people who murdered Kelly Thomas I've had no illusions that any police officer will face judicial consequences for any action.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2021, 05:53:22 PM »

No thanks
Yeah, you're probably right that there'll be unintended consequences here. I just fear that there's enough people that can sympathise with Chauvin to force a mistrial and cause Minneapolis to go to sh**t.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2021, 07:20:13 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me if anyone in the jury that votes not guilty for any of the charges gets doxxed online, especially with the Daunte Wright riots happening now.

And I heard Tim Pool talk about this on his podcast. If the jury finds Chauvin not guilty for even one of the charges, the media will not give the full context and just say that Chauvin was found not guilty for Floyd's murder, resulting in much more rioting.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2021, 07:21:52 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me if anyone in the jury that votes not guilty for any of the charges gets doxxed online, especially with the Daunte Wright riots happening now.

And I heard Tim Pool talk about this on his podcast. If the jury finds Chauvin not guilty for even one of the charges, the media will not give the full context and just say that Chauvin was found not guilty for Floyd's murder, resulting in much more rioting.
Hahahahahahahahaha
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2021, 07:24:45 PM »

Hahahahahahahahaha

Ok maybe it's an exaggeration, but still possible.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2021, 07:43:29 PM »

Hahahahahahahahaha

Ok maybe it's an exaggeration, but still possible.
Yeah I don’t think a guy who’s friends with the guy who organized Charlottesville is a objective figure on this topic
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2021, 11:21:16 PM »

In these types of cases the identity of the jurors are usually kept sealed for a while to protect them from that kind of stuff.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2021, 11:25:13 PM »

In these types of cases the identity of the jurors are usually kept sealed for a while to protect them from that kind of stuff.

They'll probably find a way. It's an unfortunate reality.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2021, 01:43:41 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2021, 01:51:47 AM by Old School Republican »

https://www.opb.org/news/article/us-supreme-court-ruling-oregon-nonunanimous-jury-verdicts/

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 Monday that the U.S. Constitution requires unanimous jury verdicts to convict defendants in state criminal courts. The ruling in Ramos v. Louisiana not only overturns a previous Supreme Court ruling, but also ends Oregon's history of using non-unanimous juries to find people guilty of crimes other than murder. In Oregon and Louisiana, the ruling could affect hundreds, if not thousands of defendants who are appealing their cases.

Specifically, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the 14th Amendment incorporates a person’s Sixth Amendment right to jury unanimity.

Oregon was the last state in the country that utilized a non-unanimous jury law, allowing convictions in many types of cases with an 11–1 or 10–2 decision.

Though there is still issues that that law lasting until 2020 is causing today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2021/03/18/unanimous-jury-supreme-court-overturn-racist-state-law-column/4733396001/

This guy's conviction should be vacated imo
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2021, 02:03:18 AM »

https://www.opb.org/news/article/us-supreme-court-ruling-oregon-nonunanimous-jury-verdicts/

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 Monday that the U.S. Constitution requires unanimous jury verdicts to convict defendants in state criminal courts. The ruling in Ramos v. Louisiana not only overturns a previous Supreme Court ruling, but also ends Oregon's history of using non-unanimous juries to find people guilty of crimes other than murder. In Oregon and Louisiana, the ruling could affect hundreds, if not thousands of defendants who are appealing their cases.

Specifically, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the 14th Amendment incorporates a person’s Sixth Amendment right to jury unanimity.

Oregon was the last state in the country that utilized a non-unanimous jury law, allowing convictions in many types of cases with an 11–1 or 10–2 decision.

Though there is still issues that that law lasting until 2020 is causing today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2021/03/18/unanimous-jury-supreme-court-overturn-racist-state-law-column/4733396001/

Agreed. Man, I would never have assumed Oregon to be the last holdout for such a statute. Not just because it doesn't fit The Stereotype of it Southern Jim Crow state, but because of its supposed progressivism one would think it would have changed the law on its own.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2021, 02:25:10 AM »

Agreed. Man, I would never have assumed Oregon to be the last holdout for such a statute. Not just because it doesn't fit The Stereotype of it Southern Jim Crow state, but because of its supposed progressivism one would think it would have changed the law on its own.

https://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founded-as-a-racist-utopia-1539567040

Oregon sadly was probably the most racist non southern state in the nation for a long time
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2021, 03:19:19 AM »

https://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-founded-as-a-racist-utopia-1539567040

Oregon sadly was probably the most racist non southern state in the nation for a long time

Wow. Incredibly interesting article. Very good read. Thank you!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2021, 07:03:05 AM »

The carbon monoxide doesn't hurt the Prosection case it helps it, you shouldn't leave care running when you are restraining a victim, it helped Floyd suffocate

In college, I learned that jurors are very sympathetic to victims except DUI victims, the officer has no defense, the carbon monoxide falls within negligence
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »

Some breaking news, Chauvin has invoked his 5th amendment right of self-incrimination and will not testify at the trial.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2021, 05:19:35 PM »

Updates for 4/15

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/derek-chauvin-trial-2021-04-15-n1264152
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2021, 06:06:50 PM »

Some breaking news, Chauvin has invoked his 5th amendment right of self-incrimination and will not testify at the trial.

Smart for him because he could not possibly justify or explain his actions.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »

Presentation of evidence is over. Closing arguments on Monday. Presumably they along with jury instructions won't take the entire day, and the jury will begin deliberations before the close of business.

How long till a verdict can be expected? God only knows. Could be an hour or two, could be days..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies