Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43026 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »

Appears the police are ready to throw him under the bus testifying he had no reason to kneel on him for that long.

Because he didn't!

Oh, for sure, but they usually don't try to throw their own under the bus and normally would try and support him. So slightly surprising.

I think even they realize that if Chauvin gets off, it will cause irreparable damage to police-community relations.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2021, 01:57:22 PM »

1) Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but let's not forget that Floyd's death was ultimately over alleged counterfeit $20 bill. We should all be alarmed and livid if our society decided that is a reasonable cause for deadly force.

2) The firefighter's testimony sounds pretty damning.

Society in no way decided the counterfeit $20 was justification for deadly force. Everyone handled that by the book up to the moment that Derek Chauvin decided to slowly murder a man in front of dozens of witnesses and ordered his subordinates to serve as accessories.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2021, 11:02:45 PM »

And the cashier said he wasn't sure Floyd knew it was counterfeit, which is why he accepted the bill initially. So Floyd may not have done anything wrong besides freak out about being confronted by the police. (I don't consider the drug use wrong, though unwise.)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2021, 03:23:17 AM »

I wonder if this will be a mistrial. I could see a jury being unable to convict him for murder.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »

And the cashier said he wasn't sure Floyd knew it was counterfeit, which is why he accepted the bill initially. So Floyd may not have done anything wrong besides freak out about being confronted by the police. (I don't consider the drug use wrong, though unwise.)

Sadly, I'm convinced that Floyd may have been the only 1 that had know idea what the heck was going on  that day. Mr Floyd was under the influence and his friend may have taken advantage of the fact and knowingly gave Floyd money that he knew was fake

I know full well if I went Into a store and gave a cashier a fake 20 I would have gotten the heck out there the second I made it to my car lol

Floyd did not do that and gave the cashier more than enough time to go out there to confront him and after they speak with him He just sits in the car and waits for the police to show up. He made no attempt whatsoever to flee the scene and his behavior that day simply does not strike me as someone who knew that 20 was fake.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »

I wonder if this will be a mistrial. I could see a jury being unable to convict him for murder.

I haven't followed the legal legal issues.  Is there anything less that 3rd degree murder he can be convicted of?  If not you might be correct.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 03:13:17 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Sadly, I'm convinced that Floyd may have been the only 1 that had know idea what the heck was going on  that day. Mr Floyd was under the influence and his friend may have taken advantage of the fact and knowingly gave Floyd money that he knew was fake

I know full well if I went Into a store and gave a cashier a fake 20 I would have gotten the heck out there the second I made it to my car lol

Floyd did not do that and gave the cashier more than enough time to go out there to confront him and after they speak with him He just sits in the car and waits for the police to show up. He made no attempt whatsoever to flee the scene and his behavior that day simply does not strike me as someone who knew that 20 was fake.

Could you not apologize for giving them a bad bill, and just ask (the clerk/store) for it back?
I remember my dad giving the bank a bad $100 dollar bill (not knowing it was fake, of course) and the bank gave him credit for it and just took the bill (but they needed to fill-out a report for the Treasury/Fed).
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2021, 05:04:37 PM »

I hope this malevolent snake goes away for the rest of time.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »

The current "use of force" presentation by the prosecution is probably making white-trash police officer Chauvin (= a$$hole) sweat like a dog in his chair right now.

This interrogation and evidence is damning ...
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »

I haven't heard anyone say this guy was justified using force like he did to subdue the victim.

Nobody. The guy is toast.

He needs to get convicted and thrown in prison for a long time. Murder is murder.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2021, 07:45:22 PM »

Key Takeaways from Day 8

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/key-takeaways-derek-chauvin-trial-234400982.html

Any idea on how long this trial is expected to last? I remember OJ Simpson's was 11 months I believe, but I doubt Chauvin's will be that long?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2021, 07:51:19 PM »

It's clear he had the intent on killing Floyd, he will be convicted and face the death penalty
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »

It's clear he had the intent on killing Floyd, he will be convicted and face the death penalty

Minnesota abolished their death penalty in 1911, therefore the worst he can get is life in prison (which probably won't happen if they overcharged him).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2021, 09:47:45 AM »

If what I read was correct, second degree manslaughter is the lowest charge against him.  Right now I think that's what it will end up being.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2021, 09:51:53 AM »

If what I read was correct, second degree manslaughter is the lowest charge against him.  Right now I think that's what it will end up being.

And assuming that's what he gets charged for, it can be anywhere up to 10 years in prison, or maybe less than 5 according to this website: https://www.legaldefensemn.com/sentences-manslaughter-minnesota/

Considering it's not a life sentence, there will absolutely be rioting in this case. Maybe not as bad as if he were freed, but could still be bad nevertheless.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »

Tobin's testimony was devastating for the defense.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2021, 03:59:14 PM »

The medical examiner is not helping the prosecution.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2021, 05:55:15 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2021, 05:59:23 PM by roxas11 »

The medical examiner is not helping the prosecution.

He may not be as heplful but if this turns into a battle over him and his more Vague answers vs a very easy to Undestand Dr Martin J. Tobin from yesterday

Than I think prosecution will still have the uperhand in the end
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2021, 11:29:20 PM »

He said there were other contributing factors to death such as Floyd's heart disease. But he said the knee to the neck, given Floyd's health issues, was too much for his body to handle. All the prosecution has to prove in this respect is that Chauvin's actions were a substantial cause in the death, not the only cause or even the predominant cause. So I think it did help.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2021, 11:30:30 PM »

What’s the composition of the jury actually ?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »

He said there were other contributing factors to death such as Floyd's heart disease. But he said the knee to the neck, given Floyd's health issues, was too much for his body to handle. All the prosecution has to prove in this respect is that Chauvin's actions were a substantial cause in the death, not the only cause or even the predominant cause. So I think it did help.

The defense will be sure to note that Chauvin knew nothing of such issues.

I still see manslaughter.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2021, 09:55:41 PM »

What’s the composition of the jury actually ?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/10/us/derek-chauvin-trial-jurors/index.html

Might be outdated though, and I'm hesitant on sharing this due to the vulnerability of the jurors being doxxed if Chauvin walks free.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2021, 10:26:24 PM »

when does the jury convene to decide the verdict?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2021, 10:36:24 PM »

Its over when its over, though it depends n how much I of a defense Chauvin presents.

Wonder if he testifies. My guess is yes.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2021, 10:59:01 PM »

The estimate was 4 weeks and we're on pace for that so it could be about 2 more weeks if the defense doesn't fold up shop early.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies