Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:34:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43023 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: March 08, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »
« edited: March 08, 2021, 12:10:40 PM by You Code 16 bits- What do you get? »

If the case is heading towards acquittal Minneapolis should announce the verdict in winter.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 04:39:22 PM »

For the record despite this being such a close to home event, I don't intend to post in this thread much or participate for a couple big reasons, one is that it's not something I want to deal with much because it brings up PTSD-like aftershocks from last summer and horrifying events that hit close to home. Another is that it already appears that a good chunk of the posts will be nothing but people just doomsaying about how if Chauvin is acquitted this will show the total doomed state of the American legal system, etc. and while I don't disagree with the sentiment, it's not the sort of thing I just want to read pages over and over and over again and just flood myself with negativity. This is actually a big part of why I was so harsh to the Doomers pushing the inevitable Trump narrative and still am, they were not only wrong but what they did was extremely harmful to mental health across the board of the forum and was stated by many posters as why they took breaks...legal dooming is just going to have similar impacts with nothing productive resulting.

Whatever happens BRTD, I do genuinely hope you and your home stays safe.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:35:01 PM »

By the way which idiot let this trial be televised?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »

Television cameras should be banned in all courtrooms, and the names of defendants should be kept anonymous until the trial has concluded.

I'd be fine with the recording provided said recording is only released after the trial is over.
It was incredibly stupid to make this a tv trial.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »

Television cameras should be banned in all courtrooms, and the names of defendants should be kept anonymous until the trial has concluded.

I'd be fine with the recording provided said recording is only released after the trial is over.
It was incredibly stupid to make this a tv trial.
Honestly, could you imagine how much worse backlash there would be if the trial was kept hidden, especially if for some reason Chauvin does get acquitted/it ends in mistrial?

No television cameras in the courtroom is hardly synonymous with a hidden trial

Yup release a transcript within a few hours if need be. Much less of a media circus.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 03:04:17 PM »

The police threw him under the bus fairly thoroughly in the trial. It reminds me a bit of Amber Guyger's trial, only with more obvious malice. That probably tilted the few skeptics over.

Guyger wasn't really being tried in the line of duty though. She did that action off duty.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 03:14:55 PM »

By the way, for information's sake.
Minnesota has a 5% Black CVAP population and the jury was picked from all around Minnesota.
The jury of 12 has 4 black jurors and a few mixed race.
The odds of there being 4 or more black jurors is 0.2% assuming pure random selection from Minnesota citizens of voting age.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:39 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 03:39:24 PM by The workers of Bessemer have spoken »

By the way, for information's sake.
Minnesota has a 5% Black CVAP population and the jury was picked from all around Minnesota.
The jury of 12 has 4 black jurors and a few mixed race.
The odds of there being 4 or more black jurors is 0.2% assuming pure random selection from Minnesota citizens of voting age.
Except the jurors were actually picked from Hennepin County which has a 14% black population.

Woops the jury makeup confused me because it said originally from northern Minnesota for one of the jurors. I assumed that this jury had a statewide pool. I read that wrong my bad.  Hennepin's black population should be seen as the CVAP black population which is 11% according to 2019 estimates as only citizens of voting age can be on a jury. This makeup still has a skew but can possibly be explained by random distribution.

I calculated the probability of there being greater than 3 black jurors and I got 3.51%. This is a bit low but not super low.

If we assume a different spread of assuming both mixed race jurors as non white the odds of 6 or more jurors being non white is around 2.5%

Overall an uncommon chance but can be explained by random distribution and jury selection.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 04:20:25 PM »

Does he serve for both 2nd and 3rd murder? Or would the judge give him a concurrent punishment?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 05:01:41 PM by The workers of Bessemer have spoken »

Good grief. Retire pls

Weird statement but she’s not wrong

Sacrifice implies a voluntary action of martyrdom.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »

Why did so many people seem to think he'd actually get off? This jury was taken from one of the bluest places in the country; this isn't like past trials like this, they had video evidence. Unsurprising.

MN juries require unanimous conviction. My expectation was that the video evidence and coverage would cause partisanship and thereby prevent unanimity regardless of other political predispositions.

They also require unanimous for acquittal.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 06:28:59 PM »

Yeah, let's not make "cop actions have consequences" into "Floyd death was good as it saves America". That feels really, really bad.

Can’t wait for the George Floyd = Jesus take

Pretty sure that’s been done to death after Floyd’s death.

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2020/07/23/crucifixion-george-floyd
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 08:00:49 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 12:29:32 AM »

One thing I will say is that 10-15 for Chauvin is probably more "punishing" than a normal person recieving this sentence as he has to spend it all in solitary in all likelyhood.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 12:46:05 AM »

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/05/13/george-floyd-derek-chauvin-suspects-arrested-bloody-vandalism-santa-rosa/

The alleged vandals of that home where they believed a witness was, were arrested.
Happy to see some effort was placed in finding suspects for what some would just call vandalism. They aren't guilty yet of course but hopefully the trial finds out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies