Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:05:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43015 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2021, 07:40:23 PM »

I mean he has already been prosecuted, but I don't think they'll convict him.  There will be riots because a lot of people don't understand our legal system, and think burning down a 7/11 will change it.

I think the people who will be rioting actually understand the reality of our legal system very well. That's why they are so angry that they are rioting.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2021, 11:20:07 PM »

What is the threshold needed for conviction? Is it unanimity? Simple majority? Something in between?

Unaminity.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2021, 01:27:20 AM »

What is the threshold needed for conviction? Is it unanimity? Simple majority? Something in between?

Unaminity.

Unanimity is required for both guilty and not guilty verdicts. Anything short of unanimity in either direction is a hung jury and the judge would declare a mistrial. At that point, the prosecution would retain the right to retry the case in a new trial.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2021, 10:00:47 AM »

They won't work out a deal so a trial will be held.  But when he gets convicted on a charge less than 2nd degree murder the world will explode.

Nah. That charge carries plenty of time. I won't say there won't be any protests whatsoever if he gets anything less than first degree, but it'll be Limited.

I hope you're right, brother. 
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2021, 10:34:47 PM »

The defense team for Chauvin wants to move the trial somewhere else to a different town.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/15/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-trial/

Where? Somewhere in Washington County or somewhere else where it may be whiter and more cop-friendly? Where? Tom Emmer's district?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2021, 09:37:22 AM »

The defense team for Chauvin wants to move the trial somewhere else to a different town.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/15/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-trial/

Where? Somewhere in Washington County or somewhere else where it may be whiter and more cop-friendly? Where? Tom Emmer's district?

If they didn't move for a change in venue it would really be grossly negligent on their part.  It won't be granted but they have to try.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2021, 10:38:30 AM »

The fact that anyone is even in favor of moving the trial somewhere more cop friendly goes to show how racist and biased some on this forum can be (and I don't care if you are Black, Hispanic, Asian or whatever, you can still be racist no matter what).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2021, 10:47:50 AM »

The fact that anyone is even in favor of moving the trial somewhere more cop friendly goes to show how racist and biased some on this forum can be (and I don't care if you are Black, Hispanic, Asian or whatever, you can still be racist no matter what).

I am not in support......I am just notifying the forum that this is the latest development......

Police unions and defense attorneys always do this, they don't want the city's residents to decide, in the place where the crime happened, but in the suburbs where Chauvin may have followers (even in Dean Phillips' district, which is a battleground district......

It should not be....
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2021, 11:58:30 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2021, 06:13:46 PM by Teflon Ron 2024 »

Looks like today is the day.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2021, 10:49:33 PM »

I mean he has already been prosecuted, but I don't think they'll convict him.  There will be riots because a lot of people don't understand our legal system, and think burning down a 7/11 will change it.

I think the people who will be rioting actually understand the reality of our legal system very well. That's why they are so angry that they are rioting.
They'd understand some of the reality of the legal system but not others. I.e.: harming private property is not recognized as a legally legitimate expression of freedom of assembly.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2021, 12:33:05 AM »

I caught parts of a CBS News Special Report about the first day of the trial this morning, before I left out for work. Opening statements were delivered today. I'm somewhat surprised that CBS (and presumably other networks) decided to show coverage of that, given that the networks usually aren't interested in such procedural elements. But then again, the George Floyd murder was an event of national and international prominence, and it does feed into the media's need for stories that drive ratings and profits.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »

I caught parts of a CBS News Special Report about the first day of the trial this morning, before I left out for work. Opening statements were delivered today. I'm somewhat surprised that CBS (and presumably other networks) decided to show coverage of that, given that the networks usually aren't interested in such procedural elements. But then again, the George Floyd murder was an event of national and international prominence, and it does feed into the media's need for stories that drive ratings and profits.

Sorta like the OJ Simpson trial?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2021, 09:16:07 AM »

Sorta like the OJ Simpson trial?

Arguably, yes. However, the OJ Simpson trial took place three years before I was born, so I don't have first-hand experience of watching it on television. But I've watched a number of documentaries about it, and I'm certainly aware of the disproportionate amount of attention it's been given over the past quarter-century.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2021, 01:12:40 PM »

Prepare for this whole country to burn down.

This.  I don't know if he'll get off totally, but whatever he's convicted of will result in a nuclear reaction.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2021, 01:43:03 PM »

Why hasn't the GOP taken a position on this yet? It seems to me like they'd be pushing for an acquittal, but they have been very quiet. For all their talk about cancel culture why aren't they fighting to keep Chauvin from being canceled?

That aside, the testimony so far has made the defense's case very hard.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »

Opening statements aren't particularly procedural; in fact they tend to be much easier to follow narratives of the facts than witness testimony. Openings are (in theory anyway) the first time the prosecution and defense can lay out the whole story of the case for the jurors in an easy-to-digest manner. At that point in the process, jurors probably know very little about the case beyond hearing the charge; openings let the attorneys lay out in advance what the jurors should be primed for and cut out a lot of the necessary but boring information. If news media was to air any part of the trial, the openings are what they should be showing.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »

Minneapolis firefighter says she was prevented from helping George Floyd by police officers at the scene.

Minneapolis firefighter Genevieve Hansen testified that when she came upon the scene, police officers prevented her from helping George Floyd.

Hansen, who is also a licensed EMT, said she identified herself to the officers on the scene. She said that former officer Tou Thao told her not to get involved.

"He said something along the lines of if you really are a Minneapolis firefighter, you would know better than to get involved," she said.
She said that trying to help is "exactly what I should have done."

"There was no medical assistance on scene and I got there and I could have given medical assistance. That's exactly what I should have done," she said.

Hansen began to get emotional on the stand as she testified about not being able to help Floyd. Asked if the officers' response that day frustrated her, with tears in her eyes, Hansen choked up as she responded "yes."

When you read details like this, it is so frustrating and angers me greatly.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2021, 08:26:23 PM »

Just watch the tape. That is murder. If they let him go then I agree with others that all hell will break loose in our country. That doesn't have to happen.

Just don't cover for a murderer.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »

I mean he has already been prosecuted, but I don't think they'll convict him.  There will be riots because a lot of people don't understand our legal system, and think burning down a 7/11 will change it.

And breaking into the capitol didn't change the election result, but that didn't stop your side from doing it. You have no room to make these cracks anymore.
Well the difference is the capitol was directly implicated in the counting of the votes, it is where the certification takes place.  There was a purpose.  But the looting and riots were random and wasteful.  It had nothing to do with their grievance. 

Racist and an overt violence supporting traitor. You're really pulling double-duty in terms of the race to the bottom Olympics!
Thanks man.  I know if I'm getting hate from you I'm doing something right.

Nope. You're just an obnoxious racist who somehow justifies their views as being synonymous with Mira conservatism, and supports the violent overthrow of democracy based on weekly world news level myths touting election fraud just because the results don't go your way.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2021, 07:21:06 AM »

I'm really scared of the outcome of this trial.  The media and activists have already convicted Chauvin, anything less than life in prison will result in widespread rioting.  A full out not guilty verdict would be disastrous.  I guess on the bright side, it would show a large number of regular Americans how unhinged the left is, especially if this gets better media coverage with less going on.  Republican supermajority in 2022?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2021, 07:40:06 AM »

I'm really scared of the outcome of this trial.  The media and activists have already convicted Chauvin, anything less than life in prison will result in widespread rioting.  A full out not guilty verdict would be disastrous.  I guess on the bright side, it would show a large number of regular Americans how unhinged the left is, especially if this gets better media coverage with less going on.  Republican supermajority in 2022?

The argument against it is "he was high and should have obeyed or he wouldn't need to be killed" so you're always going to have a bad time. But when you can get a felony and a quarter of a century in prison for weed but when a cop kills a man they usually get off scott free, you also shouldn't be surprised.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2021, 07:49:26 AM »

The argument against it is "he was high and should have obeyed or he wouldn't need to be killed" so you're always going to have a bad time. But when you can get a felony and a quarter of a century in prison for weed but when a cop kills a man they usually get off scott free, you also shouldn't be surprised.

Totally agree.  We need more accountability for the actions of police officers.  Just like if you killed someone, I would expect a good argument from your side on why it was self defense. I guess Chauvin could argue that he did not realize he was killing Floyd, but the video evidence suggests otherwise. Definitely voluntary manslaughter at the very least.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2021, 07:52:42 AM »

Totally agree.  We need more accountability for the actions of police officers.  Just like if you killed someone, I would expect a good argument from your side on why it was self defense. I guess Chauvin could argue that he did not realize he was killing Floyd, but the video evidence suggests otherwise. Definitely voluntary manslaughter at the very least.

The testimony of the cops turning away medical help for him as well looks REALLY bad. If they had allowed it, stopped right away after cuffing him, you could maybe get something like that. But they clearly knew what they were doing, didn't care and actively tried to prevent help.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »

Your side literally beat a police officer to death in attempt to steal an election and you are calling the left unhinged? And be quiet about a Republican super majority, because it's not going to happen. The GOP will be lucky if it isn't pushed further into irrelevancy for supporting a terrorist attack on the Capitol.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »

The genuine guilt and trauma expressed by nearly all the witnesses so far has been very striking. If the jury can not put that into appropriate context from the people who were actually there than we have a broken judicial system.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies