Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:06:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43032 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2021, 02:21:45 PM »

Lock that white bastard cop away for the rest of his life !
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2021, 02:25:42 PM »

Lock that white bastard cop away for the rest of his life !
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2021, 02:31:07 PM »

I'm sorry but my people been through this too many times before for me to get my hopes up. I still think Chauvin will get off because if there is one thing I learned through studying history is that you never count on White Americans to do the right thing.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2021, 02:34:26 PM »

I'm really scared of the outcome of this trial.  The media and activists have already convicted Chauvin, anything less than life in prison will result in widespread rioting.  A full out not guilty verdict would be disastrous.  I guess on the bright side, it would show a large number of regular Americans how unhinged the left is, especially if this gets better media coverage with less going on.  Republican supermajority in 2022?

You don't need to worry about what the "media and activists" have already did/said (in the past).
Just watch the trial that is happening right now.
If you knew nothing about what was previously said, and instead, just watched the trial (and the facts of the matter) you would just-want-to-vomit from what you are seeing and hearing.
Anger is expected and would come natural to anyone with even an atom of morals/ethics.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2021, 02:59:02 PM »

I'm really scared of the outcome of this trial.  The media and activists have already convicted Chauvin, anything less than life in prison will result in widespread rioting.  A full out not guilty verdict would be disastrous.  I guess on the bright side, it would show a large number of regular Americans how unhinged the left is, especially if this gets better media coverage with less going on.  Republican supermajority in 2022?

Your side literally beat a police officer to death in attempt to steal an election and you are calling the left unhinged? And be quiet about a Republican super majority, because it's not going to happen. The GOP will be lucky if it isn't pushed further into irrelevancy for supporting a terrorist attack on the Capitol.

He's a libertarian, not a Trumper.

Also, yes, the Trump people beat a cop to death, but the left is bonkers as well. The far left started the "what do we want, dead cops" stuff that led to all of this police-citizens war.....

Also, the Republicans could win in 2022...if there is riots and dead cops....Max Rose suffered because of that....Nicole Malliotakis, Andrew Garbarino and others will see to that.....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »

I'm sorry but my people been through this too many times before for me to get my hopes up. I still think Chauvin will get off because if there is one thing I learned through studying history is that you never count on White Americans to do the right thing.

What do you think of some political commentators, even sports commentators like WFAN radio who are defending Chauvin despite the inhumane brutality exposed??
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »

The genuine guilt and trauma expressed by nearly all the witnesses so far has been very striking. If the jury can not put that into appropriate context from the people who were actually there than we have a broken judicial system.

That's something I hear a lot that makes zero sense to me. It wouldn't be broken. It'd be working as intended. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt is a very high standard to reach and juries are forces of darkness; you never know what minute details that the prosecution thought were irrelevant they will use to blow up what looks like a slam dunk case.

I can only think of three "solutions" if you really want to say the system is broken if this ends up in a not guilty: either some kinds of cases shouldn't get due process, the burden to convict on criminal cases is too high, or letting amateurs (jurors) try the facts is wrong. All of those sound awful to me. If there's some other solution I'm missing I'm all ears.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »

If Chavin gets off, say goodbye to these politician's political futures: Jacob Frey, Keith Ellison, Tim Walz, Michael Freeman, etc. They'll lose... The MNGOP will choose an electable nominee who can appeal to the Karens in the suburbs who fear city violence miles away and who don't want police defunded....

Dean Phillips, Angie Craig will go down as well.......

Same thing nationally with the other suburban House Dems
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2021, 03:34:10 PM »

If Chavin gets off, say goodbye to these politician's political futures: Jacob Frey, Keith Ellison, Tim Walz, Michael Freeman, etc. They'll lose... The MNGOP will choose an electable nominee who can appeal to the Karens in the suburbs who fear city violence miles away and who don't want police defunded....

Walz is probably safe if Lindell's the GOP nominee. Otherwise that could be a close race to watch.

Any chance Fischbach could run for governor? Or maybe she doesn't since she'll have only been in congress for two years?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »

Your side literally beat a police officer to death in attempt to steal an election and you are calling the left unhinged? And be quiet about a Republican super majority, because it's not going to happen. The GOP will be lucky if it isn't pushed further into irrelevancy for supporting a terrorist attack on the Capitol.

There are more than two sides to politics in this country.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2021, 03:52:59 PM »

Frey is in an odd position where while he's seemingly easy to attack he's not really in a weak spot for reelection because he doesn't have any real credible opponents (the current roster consists of a couple of your random activist types and a former State Rep who didn't even represent Hennepin County much less Minneapolis and seems to be running out of a grudge to him after she quit the job she was hired for by the previous mayor and didn't produce any reports or anything of worth that she was hired for.) and any credible opponents kind of clowned themselves. The City Council managed to piss off all sides and none of them seem to even want to remain in city politics (several of the more prominent ones aren't even running for reelection), much less take the top job. He's probably not going to hold any office beyond Minneapolis mayor unless he can do some amazing things in his second term though.

Walz is probably fine since his approvals are high and the only thing he can control is the reaction to the verdict, and I'm expecting assholes trying to start sh!t no matter what (even if Chauvin is convicted of the most severe charge, especially the ones who now claim to control "George Floyd Square", a CHAZ/CHOP type location sectioned off from traffic that has now become a mess of crime and more murders and de facto vigilantes harassing city workers, emergency personnel and journalists. The city has said they'll only reopen it after the trial, but since they'll refuse to leave even with a stiff conviction it'll have to be cleared. Luckily Walz and the National Guard are prepared this time. My prediction is regardless of the verdict we'll see attempts at unrest but the agitators will get curb stomped by the National Guard and Walz will retain support.

Ellison could be in trouble because his office is actually running the prosecution, but considering type of candidate the MN GOP is likely to nominate and that he won't be as controversial on balance as in 2018...probably still an uphill battle no matter what.

Freeman is obviously going to retire in 2022 anyway, so he's moot, but I'm still disappointed Minnesota has such steep signature requirement for recalls (which I signed to recall him) because he should go now.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »

The genuine guilt and trauma expressed by nearly all the witnesses so far has been very striking. If the jury can not put that into appropriate context from the people who were actually there than we have a broken judicial system.

That's something I hear a lot that makes zero sense to me. It wouldn't be broken. It'd be working as intended. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt is a very high standard to reach and juries are forces of darkness; you never know what minute details that the prosecution thought were irrelevant they will use to blow up what looks like a slam dunk case.

I can only think of three "solutions" if you really want to say the system is broken if this ends up in a not guilty: either some kinds of cases shouldn't get due process, the burden to convict on criminal cases is too high, or letting amateurs (jurors) try the facts is wrong. All of those sound awful to me. If there's some other solution I'm missing I'm all ears.

I mean, there are people who argue that the juror system is flawed, especially the selection part. For high profile cases you essentially have to weed out all high-information consumers of news. You can end up with people who don't have enough knowledge to understand the case. One example being many if not most jurors in the OJ Simpson case didn't understand what DNA is, which is often given as a major reason why OJ was acquitted. I don't know what the exact solution is, other than a Constitutional Convention to alter the way the legal system is set up to establish some standards for jurors.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2021, 04:10:04 PM »

For the record despite this being such a close to home event, I don't intend to post in this thread much or participate for a couple big reasons, one is that it's not something I want to deal with much because it brings up PTSD-like aftershocks from last summer and horrifying events that hit close to home. Another is that it already appears that a good chunk of the posts will be nothing but people just doomsaying about how if Chauvin is acquitted this will show the total doomed state of the American legal system, etc. and while I don't disagree with the sentiment, it's not the sort of thing I just want to read pages over and over and over again and just flood myself with negativity. This is actually a big part of why I was so harsh to the Doomers pushing the inevitable Trump narrative and still am, they were not only wrong but what they did was extremely harmful to mental health across the board of the forum and was stated by many posters as why they took breaks...legal dooming is just going to have similar impacts with nothing productive resulting.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »

One side has the backing of half of Congress and it's not the far left.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2021, 04:39:22 PM »

For the record despite this being such a close to home event, I don't intend to post in this thread much or participate for a couple big reasons, one is that it's not something I want to deal with much because it brings up PTSD-like aftershocks from last summer and horrifying events that hit close to home. Another is that it already appears that a good chunk of the posts will be nothing but people just doomsaying about how if Chauvin is acquitted this will show the total doomed state of the American legal system, etc. and while I don't disagree with the sentiment, it's not the sort of thing I just want to read pages over and over and over again and just flood myself with negativity. This is actually a big part of why I was so harsh to the Doomers pushing the inevitable Trump narrative and still am, they were not only wrong but what they did was extremely harmful to mental health across the board of the forum and was stated by many posters as why they took breaks...legal dooming is just going to have similar impacts with nothing productive resulting.

Whatever happens BRTD, I do genuinely hope you and your home stays safe.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2021, 04:39:55 PM »

Stop disingenuously moving the goalposts. You said he was "on the same side" as the capitol rioters. Reaching that conclusion based on his comment requires either making wild assumptions or just deliberately misreading what he wrote.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »

Stop disingenuously moving the goalposts. You said he was "on the same side" as the capitol rioters. Reaching that conclusion based on his comment requires either making wild assumptions or just deliberately misreading what he wrote.

Moreover, I think it is wrong to assume that the GOP will be pushed into irrelevancy, when the results of this last election, and the response to the events at the Capitol, should provide us ample evidence that it is far from being irrelevant. Next year will give us additional proof to that effect.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »

I'm really scared of the outcome of this trial.  The media and activists have already convicted Chauvin, anything less than life in prison will result in widespread rioting.  A full out not guilty verdict woul
d be disastrous.  I guess on the bright side, it would show a large number of regular Americans how unhinged the left is, especially if this gets better media coverage with less going on.  Republican supermajority in 2022?

That person had a blue avatar previously. His post read like a standard Republican and conservative one.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2021, 07:51:26 PM »

Dabbing Santa is a conservative Covid denialist who endorses Ron DeSantis.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2021, 08:20:33 PM by 215 till I die »

1) Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but let's not forget that Floyd's death was ultimately over alleged counterfeit $20 bill. We should all be alarmed and livid if our society decided that is a reasonable cause for deadly force.

2) The firefighter's testimony sounds pretty damning.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »

No.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2021, 03:30:15 PM »

The are plenty of defendants of color or poor defendants who don't get the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, some have even been executed when there was doubt and even changed witness testimony. So the standard doesn't apply to everyone.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2021, 12:13:25 PM »

Appears the police are ready to throw him under the bus testifying he had no reason to kneel on him for that long.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »

Appears the police are ready to throw him under the bus testifying he had no reason to kneel on him for that long.

Because he didn't!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2021, 12:27:01 PM »

Because he didn't!

Oh, for sure, but they usually don't try to throw their own under the bus and normally would try and support him. So slightly surprising.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies