Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:22:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 42613 times)
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2021, 09:25:49 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2021, 02:56:35 PM by Lone Star Politics »

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for it, so feel free to move it if it isn't.

The trial for Derek Chauvin (the lead culprit in the death of George Floyd) begins tomorrow. If things don't go the way the public want, things can and will get messy, and Keith Ellison could be in quite a bit of trouble when it comes to his potential re-election.

So how do you guys think everything will go?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:35:08 PM »

Prepare for this whole country to burn down.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:36:24 PM »

If Chauvin can’t be prosecuted for what he did then we should just drop all formalities and just say it’s legal for cops to murder black people
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 09:40:09 PM »

This is not going to have a happy ending...
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 09:51:25 PM »

If he isn't prosecuted, the rest won't either.

But yea, if anyone from MSP is reading this thread, please stay safe!!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 10:02:05 PM »

He’s probably gonna get off.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 10:34:10 PM »

I'd say 75% chance he's found not guilty, and 95% chance that a clear majority of Republicans support a not guilty verdict.

We've already seen multiple prominent Republicans, both "out there" in the real world, and here on Atlas Talk Elections, casually state as fact that Floyd died from a drug overdose and Chauvin had nothing to do with it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 10:35:56 PM »

I think there's roughly a 90% chance of a hung jury/mistrial.

They're not going to be able to keep all black people off the jury. This isn't Alabama decades ago. And the odds aren't great that they'll be able to keep all racists off the jury.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 10:48:18 PM »

I am afraid, I am very afraid.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »

Prepare for this whole country to burn down.

There wasn't much unrest after the Breonna Taylor trial so I'm not convinced there will riots after this one. It certainly helps that Biden won't be fanning any flames.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 11:36:03 PM »

Yes, I think he'll go to trial. I don't believe he'll be found guilty of murder, though. Charging him with murder was always a pretty bold move, most likely done to calm the rioting. The manslaughter charge I do think he will be found guilty of, but there's no guarantee.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 11:48:15 PM »

Yes, I think he'll go to trial. I don't believe he'll be found guilty of murder, though. Charging him with murder was always a pretty bold move, most likely done to calm the rioting. The manslaughter charge I do think he will be found guilty of, but there's no guarantee.

They dropped the manslaughter charge against him I believe.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 11:58:29 PM »

They did? Well that's a big mistake, then.
kwabbit

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 01:03:02 AM »

How do they even select jurors for a case like this? Probably 99%+ of potential jurors are biased. The killing of George Floyd dominated the news cycle for weeks and anyone who doesn't live in a cave already has a set in stone position on this.

They gotta find some moderates heroes without TV, internet, or human interactions lol.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 01:18:41 AM »

How do they even select jurors for a case like this? Probably 99%+ of potential jurors are biased. The killing of George Floyd dominated the news cycle for weeks and anyone who doesn't live in a cave already has a set in stone position on this.

They gotta find some moderates heroes without TV, internet, or human interactions lol.

Weren't people demanding an all black jury for the trial?

I wonder how that's gonna go...
kwabbit

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 01:36:12 AM »

Weren't people demanding an all black jury for the trial?

I wonder how that's gonna go...

Can the identity of the jurors be protected? There's gonna be uproar in some direction after the verdict.

The fact that being a juror seems extremely risky and public probably discourages unbiased jurors even more. I could see half the jury being Black BLM protestors and the other half being MAGA/QAnon types. I can't see how this trial doesn't become a disastrous hung-jury result.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 01:49:21 AM »

Is this still going to be televised? If so, I am having OJ flashbacks.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 02:02:47 AM »

Maybe only in Minneapolis? I’m not sure and I’ve got doubts that it will.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 03:56:41 AM »

How do they even select jurors for a case like this? Probably 99%+ of potential jurors are biased.

As long as they say they can set aside whatever preconceived notions they have about his guilt or innocence and judge based solely on the evidence presented at trial, they're allowed to be jurors. If a juror says they cannot judge impartially, they'll be dismissed. They'll just keep going until they find enough jurors that can say that after peremptory challenges.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 06:15:13 AM »

Maybe only in Minneapolis? I’m not sure and I’ve got doubts that it will.
They may as well broadcast it to the whole world then, no way it’d stay in Minneapolis.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 06:32:18 AM »

I am not very aware of US criminal justice, but wouldn't "trial by judge" (or alternatively, trial by a bench of justices) be better than "trial by jury" in this case? (or really in most high profile criminal cases)

Police officers charged with a crime have sometimes as of late opted to be tried by judge due to feeling the judge gives them better odds. Chauvin, though, has not waived his Sixth Amendment right to a jury trial. I don't think a judge would give him good odds anyway - most judges have probably been aware of the killing since it happened and probably have seen the video, and they'd also most likely be less persuadable towards the tactics Chauvin used being justified. To be honest I don't see many judges acquitting Chauvin here (though that could be wishful thinking on my part).
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 08:21:23 AM »

I don't think they did. He still faces second degree murder and second degree manslaughter charges according to this USAtoday article I read this morning.

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »

I don't think they did. He still faces second degree murder and second degree manslaughter charges according to this USAtoday article I read this morning.

I read this article.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/22/us/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-charge-dropped/index.html
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 10:16:36 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2021, 10:20:06 AM by BudgieForce »

I read this article.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/22/us/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-charge-dropped/index.html

That article is from October.

USAtodayLink

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter. Prosecutors contend Floyd, 46, was killed by Chauvin's knee, compressed against Floyd’s neck for more than 9 minutes while he was handcuffed and pinned to the pavement last May.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »

Anything other than a clean conviction would not just be a slap in the face of justice but also tear the country further apart. We may actually see protests that look like the 1st half of 1968 since the case is so crystal clear this so called cop murdered an innocent man while the world was watching.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies