NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:51:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 115890 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: December 23, 2022, 06:49:05 PM »

I oppose this nomination obviously for reasons that others have already said, now that aside this is not the right approach at all:

I've told you she was a swamp creature the moment she put a knife in India's back. The only difference between her and Cuomo is her gender.
Our party needs to start fearing its voters the way that Republicans do.

Yes, let's let the party fear the voters so much that they let politicians get away with crimes and with insurrections and that the party becomes a cult around whoever the President is at the time. This is totally a fine and normal way to run a party and totally isn't going to make American politics even more unhealthy.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1901 on: December 23, 2022, 08:09:00 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2022, 08:13:13 PM by MAGA Maggie's Masshole Mob »

I would go farther and say that New Yorkers should divest from the state party as a whole. The party apparatus is uninterested in advancing its members' policies or goals. Its figureheads are more interested in advancing their own careers, reaching arbitrary milestones like "most popular governor" or growing their personal accounts. This is not a case of Sawxposting - this is an objective fact. The New York Democratic Party is more opposed to progressive Democrats than Republicans.

I have said since Buffalo that Kathy Hochul is a willing participant in this machine. Andrew Cuomo are not aberrations. There will be another mindless drone after Kathy Hochul, working to stifle progressives at the expense of Republicans. It is time for the real Democrats to get behind the WFP and advance real progress, and it is time for the state party to defund the NYDP. Working outside the party can be done - look at the Culinary machine in Nevada. It's time for progressives to find another avenue. This is not a Hochul problem. This is a deeply, deeply sick institution that needs to be purged at all costs.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1902 on: December 23, 2022, 08:24:29 PM »

I would go farther and say that New Yorkers should divest from the state party as a whole. The party apparatus is uninterested in advancing its members' policies or goals. Its figureheads are more interested in advancing their own careers, reaching arbitrary milestones like "most popular governor" or growing their personal accounts. This is not a case of Sawxposting - this is an objective fact. The New York Democratic Party is more opposed to progressive Democrats than Republicans.

I have said since Buffalo that Kathy Hochul is a willing participant in this machine. Andrew Cuomo are not aberrations. There will be another mindless drone after Kathy Hochul, working to stifle progressives at the expense of Republicans. It is time for the real Democrats to get behind the WFP and advance real progress, and it is time for the state party to defund the NYDP. Working outside the party can be done - look at the Culinary machine in Nevada. It's time for progressives to find another avenue. This is not a Hochul problem. This is a deeply, deeply sick institution that needs to be purged at all costs.

The thing is this isn't entirely Hochul's fault. We have evidence that all kinds of powerful people supported this nomination including some pretty progressive individuals like Velazquez and Nadler. In fact, a lot at the list of organizations who endorsed the nomination shows a lot of Hispanic groups. In any case, Hochul clearly did not act alone, and that's what makes the nomination so hard to kill, plenty of Democrats, including many progressive ones, actively want this outcome as much as we don't.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/what-they-are-saying-governor-hochul-nominates-hon-hector-d-lasalle-be-chief-judge-new-york
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1903 on: December 24, 2022, 01:19:25 AM »

Starting to think this state is beyond help at this point. I held my nose and voted for Hochul but I'm almost wondering if we would have been better off with a one-term right-winger (which is what Zeldin would have been). Maybe progressives in the state would have finally woken up and cleaned out some of the state's "Democratic Party".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1904 on: December 24, 2022, 01:21:36 AM »

It's amazing all the effort that NY Democrats put into keeping 3rd parties off the ballot and then they do so bad without them on the ballot.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1905 on: December 24, 2022, 01:54:03 AM »

Starting to think this state is beyond help at this point. I held my nose and voted for Hochul but I'm almost wondering if we would have been better off with a one-term right-winger (which is what Zeldin would have been). Maybe progressives in the state would have finally woken up and cleaned out some of the state's "Democratic Party".
I expect all that'd do is make enough Dem leadership say that Hochul was actually too progressive and we needed a tough-on-crime barely-Democrat.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1906 on: December 24, 2022, 02:38:00 AM »

I can't believe I have to say this, but this was almost certainly not Hochul being a conservadem (though she very much is). This is Hochul trying to check off a few identity representation boxes with this appointment instead.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1907 on: December 24, 2022, 05:20:27 AM »

I can't believe I have to say this, but this was almost certainly not Hochul being a conservadem (though she very much is). This is Hochul trying to check off a few identity representation boxes with this appointment instead.

She still pretty much moved to the left compared to her tenure in the House though.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1908 on: December 24, 2022, 04:46:20 PM »

The issue in NY is that all sides are terrible fits for the state.

The "mainstream" Dem party has a history of corruption and being out of touch with the voters. They tend to be overly combative with the more progressive wing of the party. They will often try to make optical moves like what Hochul is currently doing that just come across as awful.

Many of the WFP/Progressive Democrats tend to be too progressive and lacks older/more experienced politicians at this point. They're also toxic anywhere outside of NYC, and even in NYC have really struggled to get across to certain minority groups.

Rs whole message is constantly dissing on NYC which is basically half the state.

And the few moderate Ds there are seem to lack clear values and just like having the power.

The progressive and more establishment wins of the Dem party need to learn to coexist because I think there's a place for both in a state like NY. Srs, just let the voters choose who they like in the primary and let the chips fall where they may. Especially in a state like NY where the supermajority is particularly powerful, progressives/DSA are not getting the supermajority they'd need to pass any significant part of their agenda. On the flip side, the "establishment" wing needs the DSA members votes, especially given how narrow the supermajorities are in both chambers.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1909 on: December 24, 2022, 10:20:48 PM »

Another thing that always confuses me is my own personal experience; I go to a high performing public NYC high school that has a large number of immigrants from South Brooklyn communities and Asians from Queens and South Brooklyn that you actually have quite a notable conservative population within the student body, even if liberals tend to dominate. My school is exactly the type of "feeder" school for these top colleges, and a lot of the top students are students from these conservative leaning immigrant families. Idk but the lopsidedness of college campuses always surprises me.

I attended my high school ten-year reunion last weekend here in California. My high school class was roughly 80% Asian (and probably 95% of those Asians were the children of immigrants) and sent at least one student to every Ivy League school. At this reunion, people didn't spend an inordinate amount of time talking about politics, but when they did it was clear that the universal assumption was that everyone present was a left-wing Democratic voter. As far as I could tell this assumption was correct.

New York City is not representative of the rest of the country.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1910 on: January 04, 2023, 12:53:22 PM »

Electorate in NY this year was only ~8% less D than 2020. Hochul and even Schumer cratered among Independents, it seems.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1911 on: January 04, 2023, 02:05:03 PM »

We should make a fresh NY megathread later in the month.

Dems won, but they got a scare. This should make them learn and find a way to get along with police, cutting crime, etc.

If not, 2026 will be a bad year for NY Dems. A respectable Republican could beat Hochul or Delgado especially in a Biden six-year itch.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1912 on: January 18, 2023, 03:08:52 PM »

LaSalle had his committee hearing and vote today; he was rejected. Final vote was 2 aye, 10 nay, 7 'without recommendation' (which is sort of a soft Aye, it still results in the nominee being moved to the floor).

AYE - 2 (Sepulveda (D) and Thomas (D))
WITHOUT RECOMMENDATION - 7 (Bailey (D) and all six Republicans)

NAY - 10 (all other Democrats).

Hochul, reportedly, is now going to sue and try to get the judiciary to force the State Senate to take a floor vote.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1913 on: January 18, 2023, 03:35:40 PM »

LaSalle had his committee hearing and vote today; he was rejected. Final vote was 2 aye, 10 nay, 7 'without recommendation' (which is sort of a soft Aye, it still results in the nominee being moved to the floor).

Hochul, reportedly, is now going to sue and try to get the judiciary to force the State Senate to take a floor vote.

I have zero idea why she has chosen to torch her relationship with the Senate like this. This is nuts.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1914 on: January 18, 2023, 03:55:48 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2023, 10:37:37 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

God, LaSalle or an ally of his must have something on Hochul because no politician with at least some good instincts would be sacrificing so much of their clout trying to ram this guy through.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1915 on: January 18, 2023, 04:38:08 PM »

I think we have to seriously consider that LaSalle has kidnapped Hochul's family and is holding them hostage.
Duke of York

« Reply #1916 on: January 18, 2023, 05:10:41 PM »

why would she do that? Take the hint and withdraw the nomination. What makes her the think the judiciary would order a floor vote?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1917 on: January 18, 2023, 05:16:02 PM »

Cuomo is more politically savvy than Hochul, better messenger.

Hochul could be primaried or lose reelection in 2026

If a Republican wins in 2026, what can they accomplish with Dems anyway?

The Left should not barb Cuomo or Hochul, especially Cuomo, he may run for Senate in 2024...

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1918 on: January 18, 2023, 05:49:10 PM »

Hochul is as corrupt and right-wing as Cuomo, without any of the political skill or popularity with Democratic constituencies. It's one thing to be a conservadem when you regularly win in landslides and can unite the party (more or less) behind you. But this is just pointless. Unfortunately we appear to be stuck with this moron for the next four years.
Duke of York

« Reply #1919 on: January 18, 2023, 05:51:35 PM »

We should make a fresh NY megathread later in the month.

Dems won, but they got a scare. This should make them learn and find a way to get along with police, cutting crime, etc.

If not, 2026 will be a bad year for NY Dems. A respectable Republican could beat Hochul or Delgado especially in a Biden six-year itch.

four years is a long tome to make such a prediction.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1920 on: January 18, 2023, 05:53:50 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2023, 05:59:17 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

I don't inherently oppose LaSalle's nomination to the court, what I'm frustrated by is Hochul bending herself backwards and pissing everyone else off in the process. kinda makes me worried there's some big donor reason behind the scenes she choose LaSalle.

Ds in NY really need to work on coming together and while I think there's blame to go around, the way Hochul has handled this is really upsetting. I am also upset with how much some progressives have blown LaSalle's record out of the water. Yes, he is conservative, but some of the conclusions there making based on rulings from cases with distinct circumstances shows how shallow they are too.

Also, lowkey Jefferies and Vasquez are a bit frustrating when they call the overturning of NY's congressional map Jim Crow 2.0 (which it's not lol) but then back LaSalle who would almost surely ensures this "Jim Crow" map stays in place. I would've thought they would have stronger convictions than that either way.

This could have all been avoided had Hochul just nominated a "normal" left-leaning justice but instead we need this theatre. Shameful.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1921 on: January 18, 2023, 06:15:55 PM »

I don't inherently oppose LaSalle's nomination to the court, what I'm frustrated by is Hochul bending herself backwards and pissing everyone else off in the process. kinda makes me worried there's some big donor reason behind the scenes she choose LaSalle.

Ds in NY really need to work on coming together and while I think there's blame to go around, the way Hochul has handled this is really upsetting. I am also upset with how much some progressives have blown LaSalle's record out of the water. Yes, he is conservative, but some of the conclusions there making based on rulings from cases with distinct circumstances shows how shallow they are too.

Also, lowkey Jefferies and Vasquez are a bit frustrating when they call the overturning of NY's congressional map Jim Crow 2.0 (which it's not lol) but then back LaSalle who would almost surely ensures this "Jim Crow" map stays in place. I would've thought they would have stronger convictions than that either way.

This could have all been avoided had Hochul just nominated a "normal" left-leaning justice but instead we need this theatre. Shameful.

The most important thing in politics is being a team player. You cannot achieve anything without a unified party behind you. I don’t care if you’re progressive or conservative or moderate or whatever. It’s rarely even about ideology, it’s about listening to others and taking their concerns seriously. It’s insane that we have a governor who can’t do this basic thing.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1922 on: January 18, 2023, 06:25:28 PM »

The most important thing in politics is being a team player. You cannot achieve anything without a unified party behind you. I don’t care if you’re progressive or conservative or moderate or whatever. It’s rarely even about ideology, it’s about listening to others and taking their concerns seriously. It’s insane that we have a governor who can’t do this basic thing.

I will be able to vote in 2026, and if I still live in NY Hochul is unlikely to get my vote in a primary unless she can prove she is, but she has a lot of proving to do.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1923 on: January 18, 2023, 08:18:11 PM »

So here are I think the plausible explanations; it could be some combination of these

1. She correctly realizes that her clout in Albany after she almost lost (while Ds held legislative supermajorities) is so low it's right next to Triceratops fossils and thought she needed to show the legislature who's boss; now it's too late to back down even though she obviously lost

2. She made some sort of deal with someone important, not realizing that the NY Dem machine is dead and she can't guarantee LaSalle's safe passage through the Senate at all

3. She bought the story that the progs caused her underperformance and wanted to pick a fight with them and caught organized labor in the crossfire
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1924 on: January 18, 2023, 09:03:17 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2023, 10:32:56 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

What are the chances Hochul's lawsuit succeeds? I'd imagine they're quite slim? The Democrats didn't violate any law in rejecting Lasalle, so what right does she have to circumvent the confirmation process?
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies